PUBLIC OPINION > Don't Get Back With Your Ex

This recap doesn't need much of an introduction. The question has been around as long as dating: When you break up with someone, is it ever a good idea to get back together? There's no better way to answer that question than to consult the cumulative wisdom of public opinion. We asked the age-old question, and here's what we found.

The evidence is overwhelming. If you have a chance to get back with your ex, the odds are against you. Public opinion warns against it. The Top Opinion put it this way: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. If it didn't work the first time it won't work." However, it's important to note that a few of the respondents who said it's worth a shot actually had positive experiences getting back together with their ex. Not many, but a few. For the most part, bad idea...

Men and Women Agree

Just to cover all the bases, we should point out that neither sex had good things to say about getting back with your ex. There was a chance one or the other might have expressed enough hope to merit a different strategy, but guys and gals agree it's bad news.

Age Warns Against It

With age comes wisdom, and the oldest voters were most against it, confirming the reliability of overall result. Hope for a successful reunion slowly increased from the teens up until about the mid-40s, but just a little. It plummeted to pre-teen levels right after that.

Grad Students Say Go for It

Interestingly enough, respondents who were enrolled in graduate or professional school thought it was worth a shot. That's not to say it's suddenly a good idea, but it is worth noting. It could just be the good old spirit of experimentation.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about getting back with your ex. We'd love to hear from you!

• Nikoru 2012/03/05 21:36:35
    Nikoru
    +5
    You usually shouldn't get back together, but it really does depend on why you broke up in the first place.

• Michael 2012/05/07 13:52:49
    Michael
    Depends on the reason for the breakup in the first place! I know a married couple who broke up over infidelity issues, then after separate second marriages, got back together in their "sunset years" and lived happily ever after. They were just too young when they first tried it!
  • proudamerican8088 2012/05/02 20:44:05
    proudamerican8088
    getting back with your ex? Well, let's just say that if you really meant it when you said that I Love You to your EX, that you would go back to her or him, if you don't that you have no idea on what the word Love really means? If you send somebody free and if they never come back to you then it never was! This is all very true?
  • Mark Howard 2012/04/22 15:58:33
    Mark Howard
    WAS THE SEX GGGGGGREAT
  • Minda Snyman 2012/04/04 18:36:09
    Minda Snyman
    It all depends why the two of you broke up in the first place?
  • HL 2012/04/03 14:05:50
    HL
    Why go through the grief of a breakup, if the reason you broke up is still there? Both sides must want it.
  • wordpress 2012/03/31 20:16:00
    wordpress
    Returning, if there is love, is always the best idea. You must follow love, that´s all.
    I made a full blog of this: superplanb.info/getexback
  • mskathleen 2012/03/29 15:48:14
    mskathleen
    +1
    Questions like this really bother me because it totally depends upon the people and the situation.
  • wordpress mskathleen 2012/04/07 21:22:34
    wordpress
    You are right.
  • J.MaisOui 2012/03/28 01:14:12
    J.MaisOui
    NO. If what they did was bad enough to move out,it will only be worse.
  • Djanet 2012/03/26 07:33:06
    Djanet
    i say its a bad idea especially if your just doing for the fun of it meaning just cause hes a great kisser or good sex partner it mostly turns out to be a disater i once went out with one of my ex's just cause i thought it would be better that i might like him that my feelings for him would change from likeing him as a friend to a lover bt it turns out i was the problem cause i really later didn't feel like i wanted to be with him cause it nevr changed i nevr felt much like being with him like lovers so it turned out to the worst cause it hurt him and i hate myself for that and well thankfully hes over me with someone thats better for him and i'm happy for him and now we aren't friend cause i dont go to him so i wont hurt him and i wish we still were friends and that we never went out -_-
  • Bhupendra Ahirwar 2012/03/20 07:33:43
    Bhupendra Ahirwar
    +2
    it is totaly depends yours thinking, some are comes close early but some are not.
  • Darlin' 2012/03/17 17:44:56
    Darlin'
    Very bad idea; just prevents u from moving on. Remember: your ex is your ex for a reason.
  • Evolvedtg 2012/03/13 02:40:57
    Evolvedtg
    +1
    Depends on what happened to break you up: Stupid one time argument or the same old, same old unresolved issues. The good thing about going back with your ex (once) is that you already know each other well and it's comfortable, and if you both want back, you probably love each other. I think a one time back is not a wasted effort if no one was damaged, but who can say without the facts?
  • Ben Nickelson 2012/03/09 23:29:28
    Ben Nickelson
    We all reflect upon the idea or a dream from time to time where we live in a "utopia" inhabited by people whom share mutual respect for each other, peace is the rule of the day, et al. My knowledge and experience has suggested, yes, it is possible to re-concile with your "Ex.".
    Well, I don't know of a lot of couples whom were successful, and my personal view is definitely not a good idea.
  • patchulie 2012/03/09 19:55:09
    patchulie
    +1
    no no no no mo no no no no no no no no no no no no
  • patchulie 2012/03/09 19:53:04
  • Jane 2012/03/09 13:36:35
    Jane
    Every situation is different. Some people get back together after 30 or 40 years.
  • Elbuscus 2012/03/08 01:08:47
    Elbuscus
    my parents were separated for three years... if they hadn't gotten back together, me and my sister wouldn't have been born. I guess it depends...
  • ryuu khan 2012/03/06 16:53:23
    ryuu khan
    +1
    all depends on why you broke up cause sometimes its good sometimes its back
  • alex 2012/03/06 15:44:36
    alex
    +1
    I wish my best friend would actually listen when I tell her this x.x
  • Sonia the Stoner!i!i ♥ 2012/03/06 14:30:06
    Sonia the Stoner!i!i ♥
    +2
    Me & my ex have dated 8 times , and broken up all 8 times, over the same thing, every time. BADD Idea. !
  • Djanet Sonia t... 2012/03/26 07:38:17
    Djanet
    +1
    that must suck i went out with back with only one of my ex and after that break up again i decided to never go back with one of my exs and i nevr looked back again
    are you still with him or another sorry for asking my cuorisity got 2 me???
  • Sonia t... Djanet 2012/03/26 18:39:59
    Sonia the Stoner!i!i ♥
    +1
    Godddd no! We broke up last year, bcuase he accused me of cheatingon him with the guy that I'm currently with.. I never did cheat on him but breaking up wiht him was the best thing I have ever done!
  • Djanet Sonia t... 2012/03/26 19:54:50
    Djanet
    +1
    thatz great to know ^_^ well glad your with someone better now
  • Sonia t... Djanet 2012/03/30 18:39:46
    Sonia the Stoner!i!i ♥
    Thanks, so am I. ^^
  • Djanet Sonia t... 2012/03/31 00:31:53
  • Sonia t... Djanet 2012/04/02 02:46:04
  • dandieselonian 2012/03/06 14:23:37
    dandieselonian
    Its good to get back in bed every once in a while for the sake of sport F*&^in but old problems always arrise again .
  • Retard Buggsy 2012/03/06 13:08:46
    Retard Buggsy
    +1
    Bad thing and havent done it ever. Except once.... :P
  • barby karring 2012/03/06 12:58:55 (edited)
    barby karring
    +1
    Time waits for no one or nothing; keep the ball rolling, if the egg is cracked??? Only one life to live and it's happiness or sorrow, move on or stand still stifling your whole being, you either can or you can't, you either will or you won't, you do or you don't, continue to hurt or start to heal, move forward or keep backing up moving backwards in your life.
    No one knows for sure your intended decisions but you; and you make choices you can live with or without, it's up to the individuals involved in the relationship.
  • moneca.dejesus 2012/03/06 12:05:19
    moneca.dejesus
    +3
    Very tru. I'm happy where I'm at.
  • janet 2012/03/06 10:38:35
    janet
    +1
    It is important to always go foward and never backward.
    Repeating your mistakes is never a good idea : )
  • A Pigeon. 2012/03/06 07:23:33
    A Pigeon.
    +1
    Honestly I think it can be a bad idea, OR a good idea. It depends on the relationship but in most cases I'd say why not, and go for it (If the relationship ended atleast somewhat friendly)

I know people who broke up, and got back together and have a wonderful relationship. Ultimately I think it depends on the people and the overall situation
  • Dean 2012/03/06 05:21:15
    Dean
    +1
    The sex seems to be better the second time around, but its not worth the headache to go backward. I rather be with someone new rather than go backward.
  • MIXED SINGLE.com-date and m... 2012/03/06 02:49:30
  • PATRICIA_BENNIE 2012/03/06 02:30:14
  • Max7 2012/03/06 02:21:42
    Max7
    +2
    Every now and then it works, but nine out of ten it doesn't. Although I think that if you find yourself in this dilemma, that for your peace of mind you give it a try so that you're not haunted with shoulda, woulda, or coulda. You'll know for yourself.
  • pjwinkler65 2012/03/06 01:05:20
    pjwinkler65
    There are certainly exceptions to every rule but in general I feel that it is not a good idea to reunite as whatever the issues were to begin with will still be there. If they were not addressed early enough to have saved the relationship in the first place then how can anyone be certain that they have been fixed? I mean, if I tell my husband all the time, "Hey, this bothers me." and he ignores me and then later, after I leave him over it he wants to come back and say, "Oh well, I won't do that again. I learned my lesson." Oh yea, it took leaving you to convince you how much it hurt me, because you would have thought that me constantly telling you how much it hurt me would have done the trick so what I learned was that you don't give a crap about my feelings but had to be in a situation where you lost something in order to make any effort for me. How selfish. Now f*** off loser. :-)
  • BlackHampster 2012/03/06 00:58:05
    BlackHampster
    IDK.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/03/06 00:36:16
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    It wouldn't work out .No thanks.

2014/10/26 08:45:04