PUBLIC OPINION > Dogs Are Better Than Cats

There's always a little bit of a rivalry between dog people and cat people, so we wanted to find out a little bit about what makes them tick with a simple poll. Just to be clear, when we say "dog people" and "cat people," we're not talking about humanoid creatures with dog-heads and cat-heads, although that would be pretty awesome. We're talking about people who prefer dogs or cats, okay? Glad we cleared that up.

Sorry, cat people, but you were outnumbered nearly two-to-one. Cats may have some good qualities of their own, but they're no match for man's best friend. Cats are mostly good for aesthetic purposes. They slink about the room like stealthy ninjas, provide villains with something sinister to pet, and occasionally can haz cheezburger. But dogs provide entertainment, protection, affection, and loyalty.

On Ur Internets, Ousting Ur Dogz

We're not sure if cats are becoming more popular because of the Internet, or if today's teens just tend to like cats more. We remember the days when kids asked for puppies, so we're inclined to believe the Internet is indeed responsible for this shift in preference. The great LOLcat invasion of 2007 was not in vain.

Parents Prefer Puppies

Though dogs are a little more to take care of -- taking them for walks, teaching them tricks, caring if they come back -- parents still strongly preferred them over cats. So, even though kids prefer cats, they're better off asking for a puppy. (And though the gender difference wasn't enough to do a section on, dad is probably your best bet.)

Atheists Don't Believe in Dog

Oddly enough, it seems natural that atheists prefer cats. There's something defiant about the way cats carry themselves. Unless they're looking for food or attention, they don't seem to answer to anyone else's whims. Perhaps that attitude can be frustrating for those who believe in hierarchy and higher powers.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about dogs and cats. We'd love to hear from you!

• jerry.a... Sandman366 2012/06/28 08:48:37
    jerry.alan.carroll
    very true
  • DizziNY Sandman366 2012/07/23 13:09:52
  • Sandman366 DizziNY 2012/07/25 01:25:03 (edited)
  • Ben 2012/06/27 20:09:59
    Ben
    +1
    Sometimes, I want to go outdoors and take an animal companion. Then I take a dog. Then, sometimes, I just want to be left the F%ck alone. Thats when I rely on a cat! [:~D]
  • The SodaHeaded Llama 2012/06/27 19:54:48
    The SodaHeaded Llama
    +1
    i personally prefer cats, but i like dogs aswell. ive just never owned one. my parents never let me get a dog, so weve only ever had cats. each to his, her or it's own.
  • PlanB 2012/06/27 19:40:14
    PlanB
    +1
    I love my cats and dogs. They are both wonderful companions as well as improving the quality of our lives. I live in the country and our dogs protect us, and the cats maintain the rodent population in our area. They are family to us and I could not imagine my life without them in it.
  • TopShelf® (oyo) 2012/06/27 19:37:53
    TopShelf® (oyo)
    +2
    let me know when cats work to find bodies and
    detect bombs...
    straight pride
  • Lycanth... TopShel... 2012/06/27 21:56:26
    Lycanthrope101
    +2
    Fair play
  • jerry.a... TopShel... 2012/06/28 08:49:48
  • TopShel... jerry.a... 2012/07/03 15:03:20
    TopShelf® (oyo)
    +1
    good story.
    i read about a cat that is allowed
    to remain at a old folk's home,and the thing
    never fails to sense when a patient is very near death.
    the cat goes to the person's room and stays with them
    until they pass.

i love both cats and dogs,by the way.
  • JohnT TopShel... 2012/07/01 02:20:33
    JohnT
    +2
    Let me know when my neighbors will shut their noisy barking dogs up. I don't hear noise from the cats
  • TopShel... JohnT 2012/07/03 15:00:34
    TopShelf® (oyo)
    hahaha!
    however,let a cat stay in heat too long,
    they don't shut up...
  • JohnT TopShel... 2012/07/03 15:48:51
    JohnT
    +2
    That does not go on for years as with owners who don't train their dogs or treat them as a real pet so leave them outside to bark in distress. The dog is not the real problem it is the useless owner If I could put the owners to sleep I would be happy
  • TopShel... JohnT 2012/07/05 21:17:14
    TopShelf® (oyo)
    +1
    i'm with you,john.
    too many people get dogs that
    don't actually love them like they are
    supposed to.i dislike people that tie
    them to trees in the yard and forget about them.
  • DizziNY TopShel... 2012/07/23 13:16:02
    DizziNY
    +1
    That's the humans fault. They need to Spay/Neuter their pets.
  • TopShel... DizziNY 2012/07/23 21:14:20
    TopShelf® (oyo)
    most definitely.
  • DizziNY JohnT 2012/07/23 13:15:28
    DizziNY
    +1
    I love kitties >^. .^<
  • DizziNY TopShel... 2012/07/23 13:14:11
    DizziNY
    So ok, unless the animal can serve you, they are useless? Wow, what a noob you are. Oh, BTW, cats can sniff out sickness, have saved people from dying, cats have saved people from dying in fires,

Cat Saved Family from House Fire
    Dianne Busscher was woken up at 4:45 a.m. by the cries of the family cat, Oreo, coming from the garage. Busscher went down stairs to see what the fuss was about. What she saw was smoke and flames; she quickly grabbed the cat and rushed back inside to wake up her husband and their five children.
    The fire destroyed the garage and a bedroom. None of the family was harmed thanks to the cat’s cries. As an interesting side note, none of the family had been too fond of the cat before this incident; however Jesse Busscher claimed “We love it now. This thing is getting some tuna tonight!” This is not as uncommon as might be expected.

Cat Saves 9 yr Old From Dangerously Low Blood Sugar Levels
    A cat named Mel-O from Morinville, Alberta, saved nine-year old Alex Rose by alerting Alex and his mother to Alex's dangerously low blood sugar levels.
    On the evening of March 27th, 2006, Mel-O continued to climb a five foot ladder and pounce on Alex's chest. Alex woke up his mother Danielle to tell her of the situation. Danielle, realizing that Mel-O's insistence must mean some...

Cat Saved Family from House Fire

On the evening of March 27th, 2006, Mel-O continued to climb a five foot ladder and pounce on Alex's chest. Alex woke up his mother Danielle to tell her of the situation. Danielle, realizing that Mel-O's insistence must mean something, decided to check Alex's blood sugar levels. She found that Alex's blood levels had dropped to a dangerously low level. Thanks to Mel-O, Alex was able to avoid going into diabetic shock.
    Mel-O was inducted into the Purina Animal Hall of Fame in 2007.

Cat Saves Girl From Assault
    In 2002, Lansing, Mich., a 7-year-old girl's cat saved her from an attempted sexual assault.
    A man brought the girl inside his home, put duct tape over her mouth and tried to remove her pants. The girl's cat attacked him and she was able to escape. The man was arrested after police went to the home with a search warrant, and found him hiding in a crawl space in a basement.

Cat Saves Owner From Snake
    In April 2008, a street cat named Tammy saved 25-year-old Sagit Feld from a poisonous snake. Sagit, who is pregnant, was feeding Tammy and another stray cat when she noticed the snake. Sagit said the snake was clearly about to bite her when Tammy jumped on it and the two animals began fighting.
    Sagit received a cat scratch during the fight and was taken to a local hospital due to the dangers posed to pregnant women by bacteria commonly carried by cats. Tammy was being pampered by grateful members of the Feld family.

Would you like MORE examples of CATS saving people??
  • TopShel... DizziNY 2012/07/23 21:21:02
    TopShelf® (oyo)
    i dig all animals.
    just because i cited one use
    for dogs,doesn't mean that's
    the basis of my whole belief system.

and instead of sticking to your assertion
    that animals should be worth more to humans
    than their capability to serve them,you
    gave examples of cats doing just that.

would have been better off citing examples
    of all the little things animals do to make
    people happy....do you always sabotage
    your own arguments?
  • Jenni 2012/06/27 19:25:18
    Jenni
    +1
    They are Mans best Friend. And we've all seen Cats and Dogs, the movie.
  • faustbc 2012/06/27 18:07:36
    faustbc
    +1
    I honestly prefer dogs far more than cats, but i don't dislike cats either. In fact I even have a cat, and 1 dog, after one of the 2 died half a year ago.
    Overall, to me, dogs simply make a better company, they tend to be more active, play with you, etc.. and i know cats play with their toys, but in my experience with cats, they play, but, they play by themselves, not with you (they just grab the toy and go kick it around).
    I always thought dogs had a more "group instinct", since in the wild they usually go in packs, while cats are more the lone hunter. --Or so I heard, I'm not a professional on the matter, but it kinda makes sense i guess.
  • jerry.a... faustbc 2012/07/04 00:29:26
    jerry.alan.carroll
    both my cats love to play fetch with a fake mouse....they also like me to slide them across the linoleum....they come back for more. depends on the cat I guess.
  • faustbc jerry.a... 2012/07/10 14:25:20
    faustbc
    of course as I said that's only on my experience. Of all the cat's I've seen in my life, none played with the owner, but by themselves. Again it's my experience. I don't have a statistics board with how cats play, so while to me your cats are the exception to the rule, it could be the other way around.
  • jerry.a... faustbc 2012/07/10 21:43:28
    jerry.alan.carroll
    granted, out of all my cats, only the last two have been this way. but give me a laser pointer and i'll have the best time of my life with any cat! LOL!
  • mmiller235 2012/06/27 17:29:14
    mmiller235
    +3
    Dogs love and respect you. Cats exploit and manipulate you.
  • jerry.a... mmiller235 2012/07/04 00:30:48
    jerry.alan.carroll
    how the hell do you figure that?
  • DizziNY jerry.a... 2012/07/23 13:17:33
    DizziNY
    +1
    He is talking out of his bunghole.
  • DizziNY mmiller235 2012/07/23 13:17:16
    DizziNY
    +1
    Step away from the LSD.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/06/27 17:06:01
  • DizziNY thє вlu... 2012/07/23 13:17:57
    DizziNY
    Me too. They are better than bi-ped carbon releasing life forms.
  • thє вlu... DizziNY 2012/07/23 14:21:08
  • Lili13 2012/06/27 16:54:25
    Lili13
    +4
    I love dogs =]
    dogs
  • Dezpanther 2012/06/27 16:50:53
    Dezpanther
    +2
    Dogs are better but both are awesome
  • Curmudgeon 2012/06/27 16:44:16
    Curmudgeon
    +1
    Whatever the poll may say, I find dogs way to needy. I am away for work for 12 to 14 hours a day sometimes and a dog would need to be walked so they could use the washroom, and played with in that time frame.

I can feed my cat in the morning and she's fine to sleep all day till I get home. All I have to do is clean her litter box, put out food, and make sure she has cold water.
  • JohnT Curmudgeon 2012/07/01 02:23:48
    JohnT
    The dog would be yapping all day long just like my neighbor who thinks it is just fine to put his noise in everyones house while he is at work 12 hours.
  • Ticka 2012/06/27 16:32:18
    Ticka
    +4
    Sorry, I'm a pure and genuine
    cat person
    but still planing to have a dog one day :)
  • Isabella 2012/06/27 16:09:12
    Isabella
    +2
    They're BOTH adorable, but I prefer dogs over cats (: more loyal & playful <3
  • Curmudgeon Isabella 2012/07/01 03:55:01
    Curmudgeon
    My cat is very loyal, she waits by the door for me to come home whenever I go places without her.
  • Isabella Curmudgeon 2012/07/10 02:30:31
    Isabella
    aw <3 my dog does that ^.^ so cute (:
  • Curmudgeon Isabella 2012/07/10 03:44:10
    Curmudgeon
    I adopted my cat from a shelter, she was a stray cat and I get the impression someone abandoned her by the way she freaks out whenever I go places without her.

2014/11/28 22:57:31