PUBLIC OPINION > Dogs Are Better Than Cats

There's always a little bit of a rivalry between dog people and cat people, so we wanted to find out a little bit about what makes them tick with a simple poll. Just to be clear, when we say "dog people" and "cat people," we're not talking about humanoid creatures with dog-heads and cat-heads, although that would be pretty awesome. We're talking about people who prefer dogs or cats, okay? Glad we cleared that up.

Sorry, cat people, but you were outnumbered nearly two-to-one. Cats may have some good qualities of their own, but they're no match for man's best friend. Cats are mostly good for aesthetic purposes. They slink about the room like stealthy ninjas, provide villains with something sinister to pet, and occasionally can haz cheezburger. But dogs provide entertainment, protection, affection, and loyalty.

On Ur Internets, Ousting Ur Dogz

We're not sure if cats are becoming more popular because of the Internet, or if today's teens just tend to like cats more. We remember the days when kids asked for puppies, so we're inclined to believe the Internet is indeed responsible for this shift in preference. The great LOLcat invasion of 2007 was not in vain.

Parents Prefer Puppies

Though dogs are a little more to take care of -- taking them for walks, teaching them tricks, caring if they come back -- parents still strongly preferred them over cats. So, even though kids prefer cats, they're better off asking for a puppy. (And though the gender difference wasn't enough to do a section on, dad is probably your best bet.)

Atheists Don't Believe in Dog

Oddly enough, it seems natural that atheists prefer cats. There's something defiant about the way cats carry themselves. Unless they're looking for food or attention, they don't seem to answer to anyone else's whims. Perhaps that attitude can be frustrating for those who believe in hierarchy and higher powers.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about dogs and cats. We'd love to hear from you!

• Bibliop... Q 2012/06/27 03:34:18
    Bibliophilic
    Pets are individuals. My cat purred and wasn't angry even after a stressful bath. Cats can be loyal as well.
  • jerry.a... Q 2012/06/27 14:00:18
    jerry.alan.carroll
    so you just admitted to not cleaning up after your dog by this comment.
  • JohnT Q 2012/06/27 04:12:02
    JohnT
    +1
    Yeah that is under kissing butt and stupid. A lot of egocentrics love having dogs so they can have their esteem built. A cat could care less about your esteem, I will take honesty any day not dumb obedience.
  • jerry.a... JohnT 2012/06/27 14:00:46
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +1
    LOL...right on the button!
  • bmacklowe 2012/06/26 23:17:36
    bmacklowe
    +2
    There is a perception that cats aren't loving, but just because you have to earn their trust doesn't mean they can't show affection. They like to play, and they do have their own quirks of behavior. I like dogs, too, but cats are a bit more self-reliant when it comes to maintenance.
  • JohnT bmacklowe 2012/06/27 04:15:56
    JohnT
    You said it low maintenance. Most dogs have to be trained not to bark and most owners do not train them but let the rest of us suffer for their pets noise. Not cool at all. My cat doesn't make noise and there is no way they can contradict that
  • AndyWolf 2012/06/26 23:05:06
    AndyWolf
    My great grandmother said "cats are good for two things: barns and target practice." http://www.tundrasolutions.co...
  • Theresa 2012/06/26 22:56:51
    Theresa
    +3
    Both dogs and cats have their place beside the human population..both can be loving and faithful companions and both have their idiosyncracies no doubt but isn't that what makes us love them so??
  • Shadow Irocka 2012/06/26 22:53:19
    Shadow Irocka
    +1
    Honestly I love cats over dogs for few reasons
    1:cats can do their business both outside and in a litter box
    2:their a lot quieter than dogs
    3:their funnier (bias opinion)
    4:their fur feels better (Bias opinion)
  • Defcon Shadow ... 2012/06/26 23:40:31
    Defcon
    I have to disagree with you on 3 and 4
  • Shadow ... Defcon 2012/06/28 15:14:51
    Shadow Irocka
    well you know you have your right to but like I said its a bias opinion I live with 11 cats and 2 dogs so my opinions are formed from personal experience
  • JohnT Shadow ... 2012/06/27 04:17:44
    JohnT
    The biggest aspect they don't bark all the time. I have 11 neighbors with barking dogs so you know what I think of your dogs not much.
  • Shadow ... JohnT 2012/06/28 15:16:19
    Shadow Irocka
    +1
    Aint that the truth I can't stand barking dogs I'm night owl so i sleep early morning and no then worse than a bark dog to keep you awake
  • JohnT Shadow ... 2012/06/28 15:28:39
    JohnT
    There is a new resurgence of folks that have had it with inconsiderate owners. I belong to a few stop the noise groups and we are trying locally to get noise laws changed to increase fines for barking. It has been recognized as a health hazard so hoping to get the noise stopped.
  • Shadow ... JohnT 2012/06/28 15:33:19
    Shadow Irocka
    +1
    wow I must say good luck with that. I hope it works out i'm sick of the neighbors dogs always barking though sad thing for us when we leave the house one of our dogs wont stop barking and there is no one to keep him in check
  • JohnT Shadow ... 2012/06/28 15:41:07
    JohnT
    Dogs bark because they are not trained but mostly because they are in distress. My neighbor leaves two at home while he goes to work for 10-12 hours and let's the neighbors put up with his noise in their homes. Guess what it is illegal, and people can actually collect money in small claims court for damages because the dog owner is depriving that neighbor to full use of his home. What most folks don't think of is dog owners are a minority, 234 million folks in the US don't own dogs, 77 million do but the act like they have the right to disturb other folks with their pets noise. Changes are afoot
  • jerry.a... Shadow ... 2012/06/27 14:01:41
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +1
    and at least a wet cat doesn't stink
  • hasher 2012/06/26 22:50:48
    hasher
    i have had a number of both cats and dogs in my life prefer dogs. they are just so cool.
  • Bulanova (Team Hargitay) 2012/06/26 22:46:53
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +3
    As I've always said, dogs are for people who want children, cats are for people who want peers.
  • gcpajunen 2012/06/26 22:40:41
    gcpajunen
    Dogs
  • The Libertarian 2012/06/26 22:29:39
    The Libertarian
    I am a Dog person and always will be, Cats are fine for some but I prefer the loyalty, the bravery and the love of man's best friend. I have yet to see a cat do this.

• hasher The Lib... 2012/06/26 22:53:20
    hasher
    +2
    great video!!! that is awsome. glad the injured dog made it.
  • Joey The Lib... 2012/06/26 23:45:19
    Joey
    +2
    I am not a animal person .. but I was moved by that . A cat would never do that lol.
  • Dan The Lib... 2012/06/26 23:51:31
    Dan
    +1
    Absolutely awesome!
  • Freddie25 2012/06/26 22:25:29
    Freddie25
    +3
    They both offer Their own companionship, dogs are more outgoing and cats, well besides when kittens, are real laid back. Plus side cats arefunny
  • selena costa 2012/06/26 22:20:27
    selena costa
    cats
  • samira 2012/06/26 22:18:56
    samira
    +1
    No , dogs are dumb cats are clever
  • The Lib... samira 2012/06/26 22:41:24
    The Libertarian
    +2
    You may want to see this.

• Dan The Lib... 2012/06/27 00:07:53
    Dan
    Another outstanding vieo!
  • hasher samira 2012/06/26 22:55:17
    hasher
    uh excuse me but the average dog has the intelligence of a 3 to 4 year old so dont be telling me theyre dumb have you had a dog?? i have known dogs who have saved their owners life would a cat do that?? i think not. i have had both in my life and trust me dogs are smarter.
  • Anna hasher 2012/06/27 01:33:31
    Anna
    +2
    I've yet to see a cat eat something that makes it horribly sick and then eat it again. Actually, most don't eat it the first time. Meanwhile my dog has eaten onions, started puking and feeling miserable, then tried to eat them again. I've heard other dog owners tell me about how their dogs eat things not remotely food like, such as nails, bottle caps, ect.
    Cats tend to be smarter, but less keen on sharing what they know. Dogs are more eager to please. Still, I'd rather my life be in my cat's paws the my dog's. My cat would probably save me while my dog would be distracted by something that may or may not be edible.
  • JohnT hasher 2012/07/01 03:12:32
    JohnT
    You have reached the maximum mental age of a dog at four. So it still isn't human? Even if the dog is smarter it is a noise machine. Most folks that like cats don't want high maintenance with walking a dog, cleaning up big dog messes and having your yard screwed up, then while you work it sits home barking all day. I have had plenty of dogs but not any more we travel I don't have to put my cat in a kennel it will kick all day without being entertained. The faithful kiss butt stuff I don't need.
  • lori samira 2012/06/26 23:50:23
    lori
    I trained dogs for the disabled, they are far from dumb. I hope you never become disabled and need the assistance of one of these dogs.
  • JohnT lori 2012/07/01 03:18:59
    JohnT
    That is commendable but I have said it before and I will say it again the vast majority of the population of the United States don't' own either one, and they do just fine communicating with humans. Dog nutters as my dad used to call them seem to think that anyone who does not agree with them that a dog is so wonderful must have a screw loose, well there are 98 million cat owners in the US, 77 million dog owners and 234 million that don't own pets. The dog owners are a minority and most of us wish they would train them to be quiet
  • lori JohnT 2012/07/01 11:53:00
    lori
    First of all it is the owners fault for misbehavior in either dog or cat. The reason there are more cat owners is because they are easier to take care of and since alot of americans are just lazy since with a cat you have to let out or walk or anything. I have nothing against cats but if you are one of these people that let you cat in and out at well, you better watch out. Cat Scratch Fever is a virus that the cat carries on there tongue and you will not know it until you get scratch or bite. Cats should always stay inside. I have a black lab and i was a trainer for many years and learned how to train to do what is expected. She knows quiet! And many dog owners wish that people would train there cats to also be quiet.
  • taylordoesntdeserve 2012/06/26 22:10:39
    taylordoesntdeserve
    +2
    God I love cats way better. They smell 10x better, are softer, and crazier. Cats are freaks.
  • the Supreme 2012/06/26 21:56:24
    the Supreme
    does the word duh mean anything to you?
  • mrs.heart attack 2012/06/26 21:54:05
    mrs.heart attack
    +1
    Yea right a cat will woop a dogs ass
  • TasselLady 2012/06/26 21:52:26
    TasselLady
    +4
    I like both equally well. I have fun with both of them!
  • Allie 2012/06/26 21:50:10
    Allie
    +10
    i <3 cats
    Midmight my babe
    Midnight my babe :D

2014/10/25 12:56:17