PUBLIC OPINION > Dogs Are Better Than Cats

There's always a little bit of a rivalry between dog people and cat people, so we wanted to find out a little bit about what makes them tick with a simple poll. Just to be clear, when we say "dog people" and "cat people," we're not talking about humanoid creatures with dog-heads and cat-heads, although that would be pretty awesome. We're talking about people who prefer dogs or cats, okay? Glad we cleared that up.

Sorry, cat people, but you were outnumbered nearly two-to-one. Cats may have some good qualities of their own, but they're no match for man's best friend. Cats are mostly good for aesthetic purposes. They slink about the room like stealthy ninjas, provide villains with something sinister to pet, and occasionally can haz cheezburger. But dogs provide entertainment, protection, affection, and loyalty.

On Ur Internets, Ousting Ur Dogz

We're not sure if cats are becoming more popular because of the Internet, or if today's teens just tend to like cats more. We remember the days when kids asked for puppies, so we're inclined to believe the Internet is indeed responsible for this shift in preference. The great LOLcat invasion of 2007 was not in vain.

Parents Prefer Puppies

Though dogs are a little more to take care of -- taking them for walks, teaching them tricks, caring if they come back -- parents still strongly preferred them over cats. So, even though kids prefer cats, they're better off asking for a puppy. (And though the gender difference wasn't enough to do a section on, dad is probably your best bet.)

Atheists Don't Believe in Dog

Oddly enough, it seems natural that atheists prefer cats. There's something defiant about the way cats carry themselves. Unless they're looking for food or attention, they don't seem to answer to anyone else's whims. Perhaps that attitude can be frustrating for those who believe in hierarchy and higher powers.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about dogs and cats. We'd love to hear from you!

• Chair Arms 2012/06/27 00:30:16
    Chair Arms
    +1
    Never heard of a cat that has been useful besides that guy's mice issue. Depending on what kind of dog, a dog can comfort, guard, blind-watch, detect [drugs], police, entertain, and apparently rescue lives. A cat can comfort, remove certain infestations, and entertain. I have had several perfectly harmless dogs before; I had Never had a cat that hasn't randomly and intentionally hurt me.
  • Anna Chair Arms 2012/06/27 01:23:57
    Anna
    +2
    My cat does the things you listed, along with: Keep my dog from coming up the stairs, alert me when I'm sick, takes care of me when sick as best she can, chases off people I'm annoyed with. My dog entertains, eats, and chews up the house.
  • Chair Arms Anna 2012/07/16 20:45:33
    Chair Arms
    ...uhh right.

I'm just going to post this again, because I'm pretty sure you didn't read the whole thing.

So as a matter of subtraction, here are the differences: a dog can guard, blind-watch, detect [drugs], police, entertain, and apparently rescue lives; your cat can keep your dog from coming up the stairs, alert you when you're sick, take care of you when sick as best she can, and chases off people you're annoyed with. Ok, your dog seems useless, but including those additives, your cat does as well. I've heard of the sickness detection, so I'll give you that; though, I have also heard of a dog's cancer detection, and I'm pretty sure I don't need a second opinion on a stuffy nose. I can't imagine what weak, annoying people get chased away by a cat, but as I am not one, I think I can say you haven't found what annoying is. Basically, don't BS me; what I stated are not in the capabilities of ...

...uhh right.

So as a matter of subtraction, here are the differences: a dog can guard, blind-watch, detect [drugs], police, entertain, and apparently rescue lives; your cat can keep your dog from coming up the stairs, alert you when you're sick, take care of you when sick as best she can, and chases off people you're annoyed with. Ok, your dog seems useless, but including those additives, your cat does as well. I've heard of the sickness detection, so I'll give you that; though, I have also heard of a dog's cancer detection, and I'm pretty sure I don't need a second opinion on a stuffy nose. I can't imagine what weak, annoying people get chased away by a cat, but as I am not one, I think I can say you haven't found what annoying is. Basically, don't BS me; what I stated are not in the capabilities of your cat--any cat, unless it's some crazy huge-ass cat! Not acting as a blind-walk assistant or a criminal apprehension tool is the opposite of useful.

For the record, I've had a cat jump on my bookshelf to piss and dump on important books and papers; to the individual stating an issue with a dog using the floor or the grass as a location for releasing its waste, I don't think you're being challenged enough. You can't routinely teach a cat, but if anything, a dog being messy means you failed to train the dog. Besides, in simply having a doggy-door or letting the animal outside, I'd rather have any waste be kept outside of the house. Did I take this too far? I don't care.
  • Anna Chair Arms 2012/07/16 20:52:29
    Anna
    I have a feeling you'd be easily chased off by my dad's old maine coon. He was 25lbs and had chased of not one, but two guard dogs at once, a mastiff and a German Shepard.
    Sounds to me you have a problem with cats because they attack you(probably not as randomly as you think) and because you can't order them around.
  • Chair Arms Anna 2012/07/17 00:15:18
    Chair Arms
    Oohoo reeeow! And she lashes back! Now it's interesting. Listen, Anna, I am a tough one, ok? 25 pounds will feel the impact of a 175 pounder's punt, and there ain't no dog that can use a gun or a blade, neither (for the case that it's foaming at the mouth, you know). But wait, a maine coin? Is--is that even a cat? I was talking about cats. I haven't heard of a maine coon before. No, I, for the most part have fine dealings with cats; got one I love now: Jack (aka Jackson, Jack Daniel's, Action Jackson, Keeks, Keekers, Meow-mix, Weirdo, Idiot, and Moron). Other than being generally useless beyond that of company (which I do find extremely important), I have just found them to be quite.. what's the word--crazy. Random. Temper-mental. Bi-polar--psycho! See I was just discussing the usefulness between both animals (function defines value here), of course helping myself to respond to some absurdities, but if you just want to bring up the threat of what I can only assume is a heavy house-raccoon, then you're taking this the wrong way. But hey, at least you got me to laugh.
  • Anna Chair Arms 2012/07/17 00:27:21
    Anna
    Obviously once you bring guns and weapons into the mix it becomes a different story. On my own I wouldn't stand a change against a bear, give me a big old gun and it's a different story. Besides, every have an angry cat on you head? Might not be lethal, but it's no fun and they can do a good amount of damage, particurally if they get an eye.
    And this is a maine coon: maine coon
  • Chair Arms Anna 2012/07/17 00:53:48 (edited)
    Chair Arms
    +1
    Wow! Look at that thing! Now why the Hell would they call that a coon? Anyway, see, not only am I tough (not to be a cocky meat-head), but I like the think I'm smart; that means I'd go through the effort of predicting certain possible things to prevent certain possible hazards: I'm not going to let a bigger version of a potentially insane animal near my head. At best, I'd try to just keep it away from me plain and simple. I know that'd have to mean I'd be trying to fight the urge of marking off my bucket-list that I petted (or punted--can't leave that out) a big cat called a maine coon. Regardless, safety first. I don't trust cats. I've dealt with plenty, I [don't] know how they think! They also eat birds and I like birds! It's awful because I never hear birds in the morning anymore; they've all ended up on my doorstep. I mean, sure it's always nice to receive a gift, but I prefer my gifts to be at least wrapped a little better than an exposed ant-infested carcass.
  • Anna Chair Arms 2012/07/17 03:46:10
    Anna
    Got to love cat gifts. I remember watching a movie in a dark room with my cousins when their cat came in and started playing with something. After touching it with her foot one them turned on the light to reveal poor decapitated bird (the cat was ever so kind to also bring the head). We kept the lights on after that.
    Luckily mine just eats spiders, no gifts.
  • Krumcakes 2012/06/27 00:26:39
    Krumcakes
    +6
    Cats are the best creatures ever.
  • pops 2012/06/27 00:07:53
    pops
    +1
    Small dogs are more tender but they taste about the same.
  • Bob DiN pops 2012/06/27 06:15:41
    Bob DiN
    Ask Obama he's an expert on dog eating.
  • FullmetalNaruto 2012/06/26 23:58:45
    FullmetalNaruto
    +4
    Cats are my favorite animals.
  • Mercedes 2012/06/26 23:54:42
    Mercedes
    +2
    What?! I just answered the question last night and cats were winning! Whatever...
  • Freeranger 2012/06/26 23:50:12
    Freeranger
    Dogs. I'm trying to envision a cat as a first line of defense should some one attempt a home invasion.
    Epic fail.
  • darazan Freeranger 2012/06/27 00:14:08
    darazan
    +2
    Just be like that commercial for home insurance, I think it is: Get a security panther.
  • Freeranger darazan 2012/06/27 00:29:24
    Freeranger
    zzzzzzzackly. That commercial was actually funny......well, at least the first four times.
  • darazan Freeranger 2012/06/27 19:03:48
    darazan
    I hate when they overplay commercials, especially funny ones, because then they just get old and you never want to see them again, even if they were actually clever. :)
  • Bibliop... Freeranger 2012/06/27 03:33:23
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    During a home invasion your dog would get shot or might not even attack or bother the intruder. Dogs are pets not security devices.
  • Freeranger Bibliop... 2012/06/27 13:34:14
    Freeranger
    Dogs are pets not security devices?? Ha.....that makes you a total novice bud. Clearly you don't understand what the first line of defense is about then.
    In MY home, my German Shepherd is quite aggressive, and the minute someone arrives near my yard, he begins with a low growl, if he's inside, or he'll definitely sound off very aggressively if tethered outside, which alerts those in the house. Being very territorial, his job is to do just that, and, if it's day light and I'm home, I could put an intruder down before they're 40 meters from my door. You'd never get your hand on the doorknob. And between that dog and an easily accessed weapon kept nearby just for that purpose, it doesn't get any better, unless you've hired an armed guard to walk your perimeter.
    With that all said, rather than dictating a scenario which you know nothing about, talk about the things you DO know, which might include your own preparedness or lack thereof. You know nothing about mine obviously, nor the capabilities of my first line defender.
  • Bibliop... Freeranger 2012/06/28 16:41:49
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    Most dogs aren't as 'aggressive' as yours. The average family pet is not an anti-home invasion tool. I personally wouldn't want my pet up against an armed robber.
  • JohnT Freeranger 2012/06/27 04:07:17
    JohnT
    +2
    A gun takes care of your home protection, not a dog.
  • Freeranger JohnT 2012/06/28 17:52:27
    Freeranger
    Bull......a watch dog aggressively buys YOU the time to retrieve your weapon. A human can only see what's in front of him and then it's too late. That it doesn't register with all of you who are attempting to dilute the argument has no bearing. I'll put money on my preparedness vs. anyone elses here. And, I guarantee between the alertness of my dog and ready access to my weapons, there will be no one sneaking up or breaking in while I'm on the premises.......period.
    I like my chances, and given all those jumping on my assertion like a swarm of Ron Paul supporters, I feel confident in questioning all of yours.
  • jerry.a... Freeranger 2012/06/27 08:18:14
    jerry.alan.carroll
    i have seen dogs be epic fails in that catagory too.
  • Freeranger jerry.a... 2012/06/27 13:38:53
    Freeranger
    +1
    And you've seen how many epic fails exactly? You're blowing smoke my friend. I'd love to see you step on to my property or the property of people I know. You'd run away a believer.
  • jerry.a... Freeranger 2012/06/27 13:57:58
    jerry.alan.carroll
    a nice stun gun would take out your dog nice an quietly. and then I would kick it just because you thought it would stop me. by the way, where do you live?
  • Freeranger jerry.a... 2012/06/27 16:01:42
    Freeranger
    Jerry......do you understand what an alert animal is? Because, if you did, you'd understand just how ludicrous the statement is that you just made. Again, you aren't going to be sneaking up and taking out anything, unless it's that little piece of paper with your last rites on it buddy.
    Animals, and particularly dogs, have acute senses. They sense when a storm is brewing miles off and warn you by their behavior. They sniff out bombs and drugs, and people hiding. You're not going to sneak up on one. They hear, see, and smell you way before you see them, and....by the time you do, if you're in close proximity and that dog is like mine, I'll be scraping through his scat to identify you. A bit over exaggerated? Sure, but not far off.
    The only thing you'd be kicking is your own stupidity for getting too close....

Not much more I could add.
  • jerry.a... Freeranger 2012/06/28 08:43:07
  • Freeranger jerry.a... 2012/06/28 10:31:13
    Freeranger
    So, lets recap......you go out of your way to find ONE example of a dog....an 8 month old btw, in which you get to drive home what point exactly?
    Pretty infantile Jerry.
    Is this the part where I now get to bombard you with many more examples of what alert animals are capable of? Correct......and I'll spare you that.
    At this point, probably cut your losses.
  • Defcon 2012/06/26 23:38:50
    Defcon
    I don't care, I have a dog and a cat dog lives in my house and cat lives my garage, to get rid of mice in my garage
  • chucknorris4444 2012/06/26 23:37:52
    chucknorris4444
    +6
    cats are better
  • Kyra 2012/06/26 23:34:35
    Kyra
    +6
    Cats are smarter.
  • Joey Kyra 2012/06/26 23:43:18
    Joey
    That is not what Oxford says ..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fa...

Dogs for life.
  • darazan Joey 2012/06/27 00:17:24
    darazan
    +5
    But people already know that the size of the brain itself is not what matters as much as the number of wrinkles in it. Women have smaller brains on average than men (being on average smaller all around than men), but have more wrinkles in their brains. Cats do have more wrinkles in their brains than dogs do. They may not be as social, and they may be more independent, but all the cats I've known have been far more clever than any dog I have. :)
  • JohnT Joey 2012/06/27 04:09:16
    JohnT
    +2
    Oxford isn't cleaning up dog crap. A cat uses a box you can empty once a week. A cat buries it's crap a dog eats it. A cat is quiet not a vocal Pain.
  • Charlotte 2012/06/26 23:27:44
    Charlotte
    +5
    Cats are better then dogs!
  • Esther Castrillo 2012/06/26 23:23:43
    Esther Castrillo
    +4
    i have to say BOTH!! they are both loyal to u and both are playful and cute.
  • i love the cure!!! 2012/06/26 23:21:12
    i love the cure!!!
    +5
    NO!!!!!!! don't get me wrong dogs are cute and playful, but I love cats the come when you need them and go when you don't want them. Their also really mysterious <3
  • Q 2012/06/26 23:18:19
    Q
    +2
    Cats are great but you just can't beat the loyalty of a good dog, they'll lay down their life for you.
    cats beat loyalty dog lay life
  • FatherL... Q 2012/06/26 23:41:15
    FatherLiberty
    +4
    And cats dont? My cats follow me everywhere I go. Jump on my lap when I am sitting. Lay in my bed when I am sleeping. When I come home they are waiting at the door. When I leave they are watching me out the window. I find both to be great companions, dogs just take a little more work as they need to be let out to go to the bathroom and need people to take them on walks. Cats can do all those things alone. Plus, cats bring you gifts. Some people dont appreciate a dead bird or mouse, but they just dont appreciate the thought I guess. :) "Its the thought that counts", right?
  • Q FatherL... 2012/06/27 00:10:29
    Q
    Its not that cats can't be loyal, its just that dogs live to please you and in my opinion have earned the title man's best friend. And I'll trade walking the dog over cleaning out a litter box any day of the week, but each to their own...

And yeah I do remember those gifts from the big ole tom cat we had growing up, it would show up at the patio door expecting to be let in with birds, snakes, chipmunks, etc. etc. and half the time they weren't dead. It was a good cat, it acted like a dog almost and would come running when we stepped outside and called it.

2014/08/02 08:44:12