PUBLIC OPINION > Bulletproof Backpacks Aren't a Good Idea

The tragic shooting that left 20 young students dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut has spurred a lot of discussion about gun control, but what about other forms of defense? Since the shooting, a Massachusetts armor company has reported a huge increase in the sale of bulletproof backpacks. We asked the public if bulletproof backpacks are a good idea.

Though the safety of our children is obviously top priority, that doesn't necessarily mean every precaution is a good one. The top opinion wrote, "These things happen once every few years, we don't need a heavy and pricey bookbag to carry around." Others suggested it's unlikely kids would be in the position to protect themselves on the spot, even with a bulletproof backpack. But some respondents were adamant that any amount of protection is worth it in the long run. Either way, most people agreed there are better solutions.

Teens Don't Want to Tote Them

Though the age breakdown didn't follow a particular pattern, it was clear that respondents who still go to school were less enthused with the idea. Only 39% of teens thought bulletproof backpacks were a good idea. The only age group that actually voted a majority in favor of bulletproof packs was the 45-54 group, which is very close to the age of affected parents…

Not Even Parents Are Convinced

Out of all the demographics, we expected parents to be most likely to vote in favor of the backpacks. They were certainly more likely to approve than non-parents, but the difference was minimal -- only by about 10%. However, that still means nearly half of parents think it's a good idea, which is more than enough to boost sales.

A Matter of Public Safety

If parents weren't the most interested demographic, who was? People who listed themselves as a "public safety" employee were by far the most supportive. A huge majority (80%) felt the backpacks were a good idea, compared to fewer than half in most other careers. The only other career that came close was the military, with about two-thirds of them throwing in for bulletproof backpacks.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about bulletproof backpacks. We'd love to hear from you!

• Parisbabe31 2012/12/29 06:43:30
    Parisbabe31
    +15
    Not everyone would get one. I feel like if I run with a backpack on i would feel stupid. It would be a good idea for military, getting shot from behind would block it. Although, teens wouldn't go for it.

• onlymuselover 2013/10/30 15:04:31
    onlymuselover
    its a better way to make kids insacure and scared making them think theyre gonna get shot on day,make them feel like targets...
  • Bob Anderson 2013/07/13 19:50:21
  • Davtrudatz 2013/07/11 18:04:18
    Davtrudatz
    Now days it the way to go, bullet proof from head to toe, you only live once, it can be gone in second cause bullets don't have no names.
  • Jaiheena Star 2013/04/01 06:48:24
  • mzemma 2013/03/09 19:32:48
    mzemma
    just what kind of barbaric monsters are out there? Is it all the medications people are on? Hooked on legal drugs, living the pharmaceutical dream! come on this is crazy. Change your damn behavior! Go for a run, if you are depressed... get off the chemical crap trap "they" the greedy ones, want you own. AS human beings I see clearly that we are NOT progressing... so remind me again, why are WE HERE on EARTH? To make lots of greedy money, by ripping people off? Money you cannot take with you when you die? What kind of a twisted mentality is this? The greedy rich create extreme poor in the world.. so they the greedy, can be more rich. Why? Humans, kill each other over greed, pollute food, water and air.. why? We get toxic crap called food? Why? Maybe EArth is hell after all... You all need to talk to NDE (Near Death Experience) people and get your priorities in line. Even the F'g church has gold all over the place and it's own bank.. guess what.. the freaks hiding behind a false god they themselves created are going down.. It's all about money... new book out.. read it. "secret papers"

We as human beings here on EArth as a test.. of our goodness... need to clean up our acts. stop the killings.. you know guns are out on the streets so the people selling the...

We as human beings here on EArth as a test.. of our goodness... need to clean up our acts. stop the killings.. you know guns are out on the streets so the people selling them can make lots of money. Pharmaceutical drugs and guns do not mix. There should be no need for teachers to have guns... you know what is going to happen there don't you... one of the crazy student will get the gun out of the drawer and blast away. Just how stupid are adults these days... and the national gun people. The gun people want to teach little kids in first grade how to shoot guns. What? Again, the gov stinks! and is owned by big money... just follow the money into corruption.
  • Shahar Geva 2013/02/12 11:20:08
    Shahar Geva
    +3
    Bullet proof backpacks cannot stop rifle bullets they are designed for pistol bullets

bullet proof vests are the only on that can brutally do the job
  • Mary Mary 2013/02/06 20:59:16
    Mary Mary
    If my children couldn't be safe at school I'd be leaving that area.
  • Isabel Perez 2013/01/11 21:46:13
    Isabel Perez
    Under today's circumstances I rather get my child bullet proof clothes period! Also a hat bullet proof
  • billanator 2013/01/05 15:54:39
    billanator
    Realistically, no. The material to make it level IIIa weights almost as much as, if not more than, a hardbound 1990s math book and level IIIa body armor DOES NOT stop a rifle round, save the .22lr.
  • Rodney 2013/01/05 07:45:13 (edited)
    Rodney
    I dare anyone to define "Assault Weapon". That could be anything from a cap pistol to a sharp piece of glass, a sharp stick, whatever. The whole phrase is an oxymoron! And anybody who uses that phrase IS a MORON! A gun is a gun is a gun, period!
  • regular 2013/01/05 03:52:12
    regular
    +1
    This idea is dumb as sh#t stinks.. How in the hell can a bullet proof "backpack" protect you if you are sitting down or if someone shoots you in the god damn face?? These idiots need to get a life and sit the hell down. Folks always want to exploit a tragedy for some income.
  • Abbie707 2013/01/04 23:38:15
    Abbie707
    +1
    All the backpack would protect is your back people can still shoot your face head and the rest of your body
  • JwonGalt 2013/01/04 19:45:41
    JwonGalt
    I live in Florida, and for all the crazy people down here, I would invest in one...but i have a different idea that I hope to try in the coming future
  • Zach 2013/01/04 15:43:12
    Zach
    +1
    Also this would do little to prefent shottings. Think about it as a kid did you bring your bookbag every where with you in class, no you left it in your locker for most of the day. also a few text books should be able to stop most handgun rounds.
  • Bolrog Zach 2013/01/04 16:00:15
    Bolrog
    yeah your right...we n eed bullet proof clothing and face shield for our children
  • Zach Bolrog 2013/01/06 23:59:57
    Zach
    +1
    Or you could take it as an unfortuante but random orcorance.
  • Bolrog Zach 2013/01/07 13:12:16
    Bolrog
    Unfortunate yes. Random; not at all. Each of the mass shooting picked their victims and planned the massacres.
  • Zach Bolrog 2013/01/10 04:07:14
    Zach
    yes but they could've happened at any school at any time.
  • Bolrog Zach 2013/01/10 09:17:57
    Bolrog
    not true...most of the mass shootings have been in liberal states....Go figure.
  • Sasssy 2013/01/03 19:39:12
    Sasssy
    They'll be extra heavy.
  • Rebel geek. 2013/01/03 12:07:43
    Rebel geek.
    13-17 voted no YAY
  • skip 2013/01/03 11:03:16 (edited)
    skip
    im going to buy my kindergardener a ar 15 and a bullet proof backpack for easter this year
  • Greywolf~In God We Trust~ 2013/01/03 10:06:57
    Greywolf~In God We Trust~
    No, publicizing this is a really bad idea, the news empowers craziness by advertising things like this, and I'd bet uncle sam has his greedy blood-soaked hands all up in the sales also.
  • Augure3VI 2013/01/03 06:50:11
  • GameGuy92 2013/01/03 05:11:55
    GameGuy92
    North Hollywood Shootout.... 2 armed men wearing full bullet proof suits wielding fully automatic weapons in a drastic gunfight lasting 45 minutes... When I read the topic of this article, that is the first thing that came to mind... because now I have to wonder why they don't think about the fact they are making bulletproof material more accesible to criminals who would actually do something. And filling a school with bulletproof material that a gunman COULD use if he were to enter the school somehow is only making things worse.
  • Isabel Perez 2013/01/03 00:12:08
    Isabel Perez
    No! I think the bullet proof clothing I saw on the news would cover both sides face it the kids don't wear back packs during class! But the most important thing that needs to be done is get these weapons off the street. My kids are out of school now but if there were I would pull them out and home school them. NRA is helping to turn the school into a battle ground.
  • Greywol... Isabel ... 2013/01/03 10:13:24
    Greywolf~In God We Trust~
    you can't take the weapons off the street, Chicago has proven that to the whole country, 600 % increase in violent crime ? if more responsible citizens have guns, less crime happens, not because of the weapons, but because a gun keeps the terror at a distance, no fear, no distance. I wise it could be otherwise, just as you do, but I've had to use a gun to defend my home, and without it, I might not be here...
  • Connor ... Greywol... 2013/01/05 21:42:27
    Connor June
    But do you need an assault rifle to defend your home?
  • David B... Isabel ... 2013/01/09 18:46:07
    David Brown
    No, Isabel, the NRA teaches gun safety. Ever heard of the Eddie Eagle program? Liberal gun control policies have designated schools as "gun free zones". IOW, schools are a free fire zone in which a nutjob with ANY KIND OF WEAPON faces no threat.
  • Veronica 2013/01/02 21:42:51
    Veronica
    At first I thought no but if they kids carry them with them when they're in school and a shooter comes in than they can put the backpack in front of them and it might save their life.
  • brian 2013/01/02 20:41:45
    brian
    +10
    yes i think so.
  • Eyedunno 2013/01/02 19:19:20
  • flowerc... Eyedunno 2013/01/03 01:59:20
    flowercivic
    LMFAO! I miss Carlin!
  • elvira 2013/01/02 14:22:42
    elvira
    They are good if you are looking to protect school books and supplies.
  • montana freeman 2013/01/02 12:15:10
    montana freeman
    Home school your brats....er, precious ones.... today's schools are nothing more then detention and programing centers anyway....
  • james 2013/01/02 06:54:57
    james
    Think about if you would be living in the 1950's and someone is telling you that after 60 years we will use a bulletproof backpacks so we don't get killed in a school.

What would you say ?

"... you see something is wrong ..."
  • Terence Pang 2013/01/02 04:47:37
    Terence Pang
    Better bullet proof desks. Kids don't get mowed down in the streets yet.
  • Stormi 2013/01/02 02:18:07
    Stormi
    yup.
  • connor 2013/01/02 01:30:57
    connor
    It seems like a good idea, but if a guy wants to go and shoot a bunch of kids, bulletproof backpacks aren't gonna help.
  • flowerc... connor 2013/01/03 01:57:15
    flowercivic
    The next debate: Kevlar Onsies Gear for School Uniforms

2014/08/01 01:49:08