PUBLIC OPINION > Black Wedding Dresses Are a Hit

SodaHead Living 2011/10/27 19:00:00
Is it a nice day for a white wedding? Not if black's on the menu. Picking up on Vera Wang's bold line of black wedding dresses this year, we ran the idea by SodaHeads to see what the public thought about it -- and got a ton of votes.

Black Wedding Dresses: Cool or Creepy?

black wedding dress

63% Dig Black Wedding Dresses

Looks like black is the new... black....

One commenter wrote, "Traditional white was supposed to show the bride as being innocent and virginal. Why can't we have sexy, sensual, and just on the dark side of witchy black?" It's true, in America white is used to symbolize purity -- a traditional notion, but probably not very cutting edge. We guess it's all about how you look at it.

Not for Married Couples...

If you've already worn white, there's a 50-50 chance you're sold on the color. Only 49% of married voters thought the trend was cool. And that first ceremony is the kicker: Divorcees and widows were similarly skeptical, but engaged couples were on a completely different page.

...But Those Who Are Engaged Embrace the Color

Engaged voters were more likely than any other relationship-based demographic to like black wedding dresses. 77% of them voted "cool," a notch above singles. Does this mean we're about to witness an explosion of ebony gowns? Possibly. After all, they're the ones paying attention to contemporary bridal fashion.

Not So Slimming After All

We've always heard black is slimming, but based on our results only voters who already felt thin or fit were down with black wedding dresses. 78% of those who listed their body type as "slim" or "athletic" think black wedding dresses are cool, compared to 67% of voters who selected "average" or "love handles."

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit the original story about black wedding dresses. We'd love to hear from you!

• gidianedwards97 2011/10/28 05:54:57
    gidianedwards97
    +1
    black gowns the white tuxes
  • stevegt... gidiane... 2011/10/28 15:35:19
  • Chris Simmons 2011/10/28 05:44:50
    Chris Simmons
    trendy i blame twilight but still fairly cool would be okay in a theme based wedding :)
  • Alterat... Chris S... 2011/10/28 07:02:15
    AlterationDangerHeart
    +1
    In Twilight Bella wears a white dress. And please don't call Twilight Gothic. Vampires and Goth is all I have and Twilight is ruining it for me.
  • Mayla_xo 2011/10/28 04:46:35
    Mayla_xo
    oh wow. :)
  • aazeen 2011/10/28 03:42:32
    aazeen
    I LOVE black dress
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/28 03:21:46
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I know its tradition for other countries to do that. As for the, US i dunno. i wouldn't wear one.
  • Sabrina_! mg's ha... 2011/10/28 11:40:25
    Sabrina_!
    +1
    Well in some of India I know they have pink fancy wedding sari's?
  • mg's ha... Sabrina_! 2011/10/29 18:55:30
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    This is a private and personal thing. What they wear for that, is up to them. I respect that.
  • Darkitec 2011/10/28 03:02:50
    Darkitec
    I think it looks good, Though to me it looks like a very nice event dress, I believe that in most Asian countries black is the traditional color for weddings. If I ever get married again, I would love to see my bride in a blood red gown like the one worn by Winona Ryder in the movie Beetlejuice. But then again I do love me a good gothic, urban witch look.
  • Prophet ~PWCM 2011/10/28 01:55:52
    Prophet ~PWCM
    A women is at her sexiest in a black dress......as far I'm concerned.
  • ZB 2011/10/28 01:36:00
    ZB
    I like it. If thats what they want, go for it.
  • LaurenTheUnicorn 2011/10/28 01:22:27
    LaurenTheUnicorn
    For a wedding, i don't like it. For something else, maybe... But I don't really like the color black though.
  • you 2011/10/28 01:00:43
    you
    +1
    How can black wedding dresses be a hit?
    Needs texture, glitter something so you know you are not at the wrong place
  • Andric Lucid 2011/10/28 00:38:18
    Andric Lucid
    +1
    Like I said in a similar poll. The original tradition for white dresses was to symbolise the (sexual) purity of the bride... nowadays almost no woman reaches marriage as a virgin, so traditionally speaking, they should not wear white. Instead any other colour works fashionable. And personally black looks way better than white
  • KosmicKate49 2011/10/28 00:12:44
    KosmicKate49
    white wedding dresses have not always been the 1st choice. The last 40 yrs they've become the theme, angelic like. I am all for your wedding being your way, your colors and an expression of the best part of you. If Black is your color, ware it proud!
  • Son Worshiper 2011/10/28 00:12:33
    Son Worshiper
    Black, red, yellow. I like them all, just so long as it isn't me getting married.
  • Gregaj7 2011/10/28 00:04:41
  • Keen Tojones 2011/10/27 23:26:41
    Keen Tojones
    +2
    Black is such an elegant color and well...so very Irish.
  • sjb 2011/10/27 23:26:08
    sjb
    Love it!
  • Lady-DeathBright 2011/10/27 23:24:07
    Lady-DeathBright
    +2
    So they say it's a hit, how many have people did really buy them though?
  • jenny.bryan1 2011/10/27 23:04:46
    jenny.bryan1
    Great at least it's not pink and orange lol XD XD XD
  • Aingean 2011/10/27 22:55:12
    Aingean
    +2
    I want a colored dress for my next wedding. I wore white for he first one, but I wouldnt wear a black one for a wedding. I want to get a gold or red one.
  • Joanna the Great 2011/10/27 22:37:03
    Joanna the Great
    +2
    the black dresses are pretty, but I still want a white dress for my wedding. not so I look "virginal and innocent" (i'm certainly not lol) but because they're classic and pretty. I don't care what they used to represent, things change and that's fine. nobody's thinking "oh look at that white dress she's wearing, how virginal and pure and innocent she is, what a lucky man to have such a wholesome girl to cook and clean and bear children for him", they're thinking "look how pretty she is in that awesome dress!!"
  • Scarlet 2011/10/27 22:24:56
    Scarlet
    i love black dresses! i want a black wedding dress! who cares what other people think! it's your wedding and your the bride! you should get what ever you want!
  • Dark Child. 2011/10/27 22:22:25
    Dark Child.
    +4
    Black dresses are awesome. So what about what other people think. Its your Wedding Day!
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2011/10/27 22:20:42
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    I love the idea of a black wedding dress.
  • Simmering Frog 2011/10/27 22:17:29
    Simmering Frog
    +2
    That's because there aren't any virgins left. Chicks who have spread their legs for every Tom, Dick, and Harry wearing white on their wedding day is a little dishonest.
  • Joanna ... Simmeri... 2011/10/27 22:42:51
    Joanna the Great
    +4
    It's just a color, there's no rule that says white has to mean virginal. If she wants to wear white because she thinks it's pretty she can, it's her wedding. just because it represented being a virgin in the past doesn't make her a liar for wearing it.
    why do the woman have to wear something that announces their purity anyways? then man just wears a tux, nobody seems to care if HE banged every skank that came his way, and nobody would know anyways because he doesn't have a hymen to break.
  • Des♥Chan Simmeri... 2011/10/27 23:55:54
    Des♥Chan
    +5
    Wearing white on your wedding day doesn't actually mean you're a virgin... It was never meant to be that way. Blue is *actually* the color of purity. The tradition wasn't even started to represent virginity. Women only started wearing white because a famous queen wore it to her wedding.

Do your research before judging others. I'm a virgin and I plan on wearing red and black to my wedding.
  • Simmeri... Des♥Chan 2011/10/28 06:32:31
    Simmering Frog
    If you want to live in the 1800s, great! It's 2011.
  • Des♥Chan Simmeri... 2011/10/29 00:17:15
    Des♥Chan
    +1
    I'm aware. We're in the modern days, so we should be over closed-minded traditions already.
  • p18711 2011/10/27 22:13:24
    p18711
    beats pink
  • bud man (oYo) 2011/10/27 21:39:49
    bud man (oYo)
    +2
    weddings funerals it's kinda the same thing anyway
  • Michael 2011/10/27 21:28:52
    Michael
    +1
    Whatever...at least peple are still getting married, even if it's time after time...
  • bman~AVA~BTTB 2011/10/27 21:19:04
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    I guess black would work o.k. Me? I'm thinking black is more for funeral type of ceremonies but that's just me. Who knows? Maybe they want to wear black to signify the death of their being single. ???
  • Jan 2011/10/27 21:16:58
    Jan
    +3
    As a child I saw a very dark skinned bride wearing a black dress. At the time I thiought it was because she was in mourning. It didn't look right through the eyes of a child. However, as an adult I now think that a bride should wear what she wants to on her big day. Black, white or any other colour will be fine so long as that is what she wants.
  • Michael 2011/10/27 21:15:51
    Michael
    +2
    Eh. I prefer white, it more clearly symbolizes purity. Plus black symbolizes mourning and is more fitting for a funeral.

Besides at a wedding I think the priest wears white vestments (traditionally he would wear black vestments during a funeral), so it would make sense for the bride to have a white dress too.
  • Jan Michael 2011/10/28 00:23:05
    Jan
    White may well symbolize purity and I wholeheartedly agree with you there Michael. Sadly though most of today's brides are not pure in the biblical sense so therefore are not worthy of wearing white.
  • SocratesIII 2011/10/27 21:13:46 (edited)
    SocratesIII
    +1
    Go to my Post about these Posts that are made by substandard Hack writers by the Sodajerks in charge of Sodahead.
    Black White or Red? Who cares? Maybe she's in morning for the death of her Partying Days.
    I wrote this review way back on Oct 8, 2011. The Sodajerks buried my post immediately and then buried their own abysmally wrong review of Real Steel. Real Steel is still going strong and hitting all the buttons in the great movie about where boxing may be going

This is typical of many of their posts. Written by hack writers and in most cases skewed toward the liberal progressive agenda.

I have already seen it and this is definitely one of those sleeper box office hits. The movie is so good that if you don't have any kids to watch it with, you'll borrow some neighbor's kids to take to go see it. Hugh Jackman delivers a knockout punch of a movie and hits all the right buttons at all the right times. Excellent comedic and dramatic and action sequences. All in all a great movie. Seems this reviewer is a little jaded. This is not a cartoonish movie like transformers and has a great story line and even better action and animations. This is another example of the Sodajerks jerking off any posts they screwed up.

Writing this post in response to the hack movie reviewer they employ on SodaHead.

real steel

2014/04/18 00:48:52