PUBLIC OPINION > Being Super Skinny Isn't All That

"American Idol" original Kelly Clarkson proudly announced that she had absolutely no desire to be "super-skinny," echoing statements Adele made last year. Clarkson said, "I do cardio. I run. I strength-train using my own body weight. [But] really, what I try to instill in my fans is to be healthy and happy. I have no desire to be super-skinny." We wanted to know if other people have that desire.

We suspect many people want to be thin, or thinner, but "stick thin" indicates an extreme. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that most people claim they're free from that desire. In other words, they have healthy expectations. One commenter even wrote, "I'd rather be called fat than anorexic." But, as Clarkson said, the key is to stay happy and healthy. A desire to be stick thin can never be healthy.

Weight Affects Women

Women obviously have more societal expectations to deal with, and that was abundantly clear in the results. Women were more than twice as likely as men to say they'd felt the desire to be "stick thin." Nearly half of women had struggled with that feeling, compared to just one in five guys.

Skinny Struggles Too

We expected there to be a difference in response correlating to weight class, but we definitely didn't expect the slimmest voters to struggle the most. Skinny voters were 8% more likely than overweight voters to say they'd felt the desire to be super-skinny. Overweight people would likely be content just to lose some weight, but for some it's never enough.

Old-Timers Are Content

The desire to be attractive or accepted is timeless, but older generations were far less likely to have felt the desire to be super-skinny, even though they have decades on the younger voters. And because the question asked if voters have "ever" wanted to be stick thin, we have to assume it's a relatively new issue.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about being super-skinny. We'd love to hear from you!

• Jay Victoria 2012/06/08 22:31:58
    Jay Victoria
    +18
    I'm sorry, but I personally am getting sick and tired of this. If you don't think being "super skinny" is all that, then so be it. Maybe it wasn't meant for you, or in street terms, "You ain't about that life..." Have I ever felt the need to be stick thin? NOPE! Because I'm naturally stick thin. I get criticized for my size a lot, but at the end of the day there still are thousands of girls who practically kill themselves to be as thin as me. And if you DO want to be skinny, do it the healthy way. Eat well, work out, and don't over-do anything.

• PapaBC 2012/06/11 17:04:58
  • dahvievanity<3er 2012/06/11 16:58:23
    dahvievanity<3er
    +2
    i was super skinnywhen i was sick bit now that i am not sick i am average weiggth for my height so i dont think being super skinny is all that i see people even in my school that are like one or two years older than me that weight is like 90 lbs or some even 80lbs and they think nothing is wrong with them when they are that weight ithink that is very unhealthy for them
  • catrina 2012/06/11 16:55:20
    catrina
  • zbacku 2012/06/11 16:35:16
    zbacku
    +1
    Nothing looks better than a bony skeleton wearing flesh and a bikini.
  • Maleficent 2012/06/11 16:19:28
    Maleficent
    it's what you're happy to have. you just have to have confidence in yourself.
  • Farbiger 2012/06/11 16:10:30
    Farbiger
    +1
    Personally, I am slightly self conscious of my weight, but I would rather be husky and healthy instead of someone cursed with anorexia or bulimia. I don't know, I think it is good to want to lose weight and/ or make yourself healthier as long as you don't take it too far and try to be condescending and pretentious to other's around you. Like if your friend is eating 1 slice of pizza, don't come out the cut and say, "Are you really going to eat ALL of that?" then try to break down their plate by talking about the trans and saturated fats that are in 1 pepperoni. That has happened to me many times. >.>
  • Neko-chan 2012/06/11 15:57:41
    Neko-chan
    +1
    i'm really skinny n i hate it, but i cant gain wheight no matter how much i try....... it's scary o.O
  • Ozymandias 2012/06/11 15:29:21
    Ozymandias
    +3
    Yes, I agree with this which is exactly why I think models should look like women rather than toy dolls with plastic parts even when they do have some meat on their bones because the meat is for the men while the bones are for the dogs.
    Denise Bidot
  • waterny... Ozymandias 2012/06/12 10:25:53
    waternymphxD
    +1
    Ok don't attack me but is the girl in this pic not overweight? Just my opinion
  • Ozymandias waterny... 2012/06/12 22:28:04
    Ozymandias
    +1
    She's still beautiful. I'd rather her be a tad overweight than underweight. I'm not interested in toothpicks.
  • waterny... Ozymandias 2012/06/13 05:40:45
    waternymphxD
    +1
    Some people can't help if they are naturally skinny. I am underweight and I eat like a horse! I'm not like an anorexic stick which is disgusting but I'd much rather have my figure than the girls in your picture who in my opinion could do with losing a few pounds. A body like Selena gomez is perfect:)
  • Ozymandias waterny... 2012/06/13 06:00:55
    Ozymandias
    +1
    Perfect is all relative. Some women have smaller petite figures. If it's natural, then that's fine. Bigger girls can be just as attractive, though. That's all I'm trying to say.
  • Rod 2012/06/11 14:55:33
    Rod
    The only time that I ever felt way was when I trouble getting into my size 2 dress.:)
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2012/06/11 14:21:04
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +5
    Because we should judge people by how they look right?

judge people
  • One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    +2
    FIRST OF ALL, TOO SKINNY or TOO OVERWEIGHT is not good for ANYONE.

It is a symptom of a SHALLOW SOCIETY when looks supersede the soul; there are those of us that do not put looks before the soul. As a male, I to have been pressured to have a certain type of body. It is a good thing to be healthy and fit, but some GO TOO FAR. I myself love WOMEN who are HEALTHY, mentally and emotionally then physically, in that order...If she exudes confidence and has a good head on her shoulders, I find that attractive...
  • ALL_BAND_FAN 2012/06/11 13:05:14
  • MegaFortunateSon 2012/06/11 09:12:58
    MegaFortunateSon
    It looks sick.
  • 1wickedwitch 2012/06/11 08:06:05
    1wickedwitch
    i dont think women should have the body of a 12 yr old boy and then get a boob job..I dont get it..
  • Natalie 2012/06/11 06:11:58
    Natalie
    +5
    Being super thick isn't all that either
  • Willie 2012/06/11 06:05:13
    Willie
    +1
    If fat people really were okay with being fat, they wouldn't spend so much time being obsessed with the idea that others might prefer skinny people. Be whatever you want to be, and like whatever you like in others (though I urge everyone to maintain a healthy weight through diet and exercise).
  • Paul 2012/06/11 05:43:54
    Paul
    Some people are naturally "super skinny" but for many, its very unhealthy. Besides, I personally appreciate a woman with curves and some meat on her bones. But, that is just my opinion....
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/06/11 04:43:49
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    UGH, there's nothing hot about looking like a teenage boy; tall, skinny, flat chested, no booty... why, females, WHY??
  • Shadow 2012/06/11 04:28:25
  • Phantom... Shadow 2012/06/11 16:38:25
    PhantomDream
    +2
    It didn't. They're all beautiful, bitch.
  • Shadow Phantom... 2012/06/12 02:49:59
  • Raphy 2012/06/11 04:26:39
    Raphy
    Looking an that picture makes me want to eat a burger with some fries. Then make me some pancakes and sausage to follow that up. That is sad...
  • krelly 2012/06/11 04:21:01
    krelly
    +2
    Curves r in now!!! Woohooo! Go Nicki minaj and Beyonce!!!!
  • Black-Indian Girl 2012/06/11 04:07:40
    Black-Indian Girl
    +1
    Ugh, some people make it seem like you MUST ALWAYS choose between extremes.

Examples:
    There are only two body types: "anorexic" or "obese."
    You can either: Lose weight by starving yourself, or gain weight by stuffing yourself.
    It's just another excuse for people to pigeonhole and judge each other.

Is it not possible for people to be healthy AND have different body shapes?
    Body types vary depending on height, skeletal frame, and metabolism, as well as lifestyle. Plus, two people can have the same weight, height, and/or body type, but due to lifestyle (sedentary vs. athletic, for example), one may be unhealthy and the other healthy.
    Healthy does NOT equal being a carbon copy of the supermodels you see in fashion magazines. And since people have different tastes, you cannot please everyone. You have to do what's best for YOU.
  • Jo 2012/06/11 03:51:01
    Jo
    +1
    No, I have no desire to be "super-skinny", and quite frankly, very few women do. Women want to be small, not skinny---theres a BIG difference; problem is, many times (not all), becoming "small" means also becoming "skinny". Notice the difference... super skinny Um, no.... Brooke Burke Um, YES!!!!!
  • Kaimeso Jo 2012/06/11 20:13:40
    Kaimeso
    +1
    I noticed the photoshop work to add ribs,..
  • Amina Kolenc 2012/06/11 01:59:18
    Amina Kolenc
    +1
    So true
  • :)SuperGirl(: 2012/06/11 01:50:55
    :)SuperGirl(:
    +1
    I like having curves. :)
  • ♡Short Sparkley Ginger♡ 2012/06/11 01:37:50
    ♡Short Sparkley Ginger♡
    +1
    I am defenently not considered a stick and am NOT super skinny, but thats okay because thats just how I was made. Everyones different, we need to stop trying to be someone else
  • Angecael 2012/06/11 01:15:33
    Angecael
    I dislike that media has chosen to only take in stick thin and tall girls as the perfect women.
    If someone is stick thin they might be natural, or maybe they are just pressured and so they are doing unhealthy things to become to thin.
    Either way, being that thin is just a body type, only one of many, and it isn’t fair that its been chosen as the only acceptable type, because there are so many beautiful women of ALL shapes and sizes. There are beautiful thin women, beautiful plus women, and beautiful middle sized women, one size shouldn’t be chosen as higher or lower.
  • Jo Angecael 2012/06/11 03:52:42
    Jo
    the media hasnt done that.
  • Heavy 2012/06/11 01:01:41
    Heavy
    How ironic that at the bottom of this page is a link to a place to freeze the fat off.
  • Jaiheena Star 2012/06/11 00:54:43
  • L1 2012/06/11 00:48:51 (edited)
    L1
    +1
    Some people just have the genetics and metabolism to be super skinny. What's important is to be healthy.
  • Heavy L1 2012/06/11 00:56:15
    Heavy
    +1
    Yeah I smoke to much to be healthy.
  • Heavy 2012/06/11 00:11:13
    Heavy
    +1
    I'm naturally skinny as well. Women place way to much importance on weight. I personally like a little weight on my women.

2014/07/28 06:34:59