PUBLIC OPINION > Apple Is Still Cool... Sort of

SodaHead Living 2013/01/30 00:00:00
Almost a decade ago, Apple was at the top of its game. In 2001, the tech company had opened its first official retail stores in Virginia and California and invented the iPod. In 2003, Apple unveiled iTunes to the world and in 2006, the company released the MacBook Pro and iMac, Apple's first Intel-based computers.

Don't get us wrong: Apple is still popular among its fanbase, showing no end in sight for its ever-upgraded iPhone and even managing to unveil a new tech gadget, with the release of the iPad. But with the recent 10 percent drop in stock shares, along with the death of the company's co-founder and former CEO Steve Jobs back in 2011, many question if Apple still has the same steam it did a few years ago. Fef dared to ask the question on many people's minds: Is Apple still cool? And though a small majority voted "Yes" (52%), consumer confidence is definitely down among some demographics. Let's get to it.

apple cool uncool

TECH INDUSTRY ISN'T IMPRESSED

What better way to see how Apple is doing than to ask people in the tech industry? Interestingly, those who listed "Information Technology (IT)" as their career industry voted against Apple, with a strong 60% saying the company wasn't cool anymore. "Arts and Entertainment" on the other hand, was still into the company, with 54% saying that Apple was still cool. But what "career industry" was the most supportive of the company? Students! At 63%, students proved that they still love toting their Macbooks and iPhones to class.

YOUNGSTERS YEARN FOR IPHONES

Speaking of students' support, we thought it would be interesting to see how age affected opinions on Apple. Just as expected, the group that was most supportive of Apple was the 13-17 crowd, at 61%. But more interestingly, the age groups that were least supportive of Apple were 18-24, 25-35 and 35-44 -- at only 43%, 37% and 45% voting that Apple is still cool, respectively. Unfortunately for Apple, these are the age groups that tech companies usually expect sales from.

LOWER INCOME'S GOT NO APPLE LOVE

We also thought it would be interesting to take a look at the correlation between income and love of all-things Apple. Turns out, those who make $50K and under aren't impressed, with only 46% voting that Apple is still cool. Maybe you've got no love for the company if you can't afford it? Those who made $75K-100K were most impressed, at 71%. Those who made $100+ were also supportive of the company, but much less so, at 55%. We guess the uber-rich are a tough crowd...

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about Apple. We'd love to hear from you!

• Kigan 2013/01/30 18:35:33 (edited)
    Kigan
    +6
    Apple has been surpassed in price, function, and overall value in both short term and long term.

Tends to happen when they release the same product each year with only minor changes and the same or higher price tag.

I have an iPod - one of the oldest models, a 60gb. It has survived over 7 years and is the only Apple tech I have found to be worth the money.

My laptop is superior to a similar priced model of theirs.
    My phone is superior to a similar priced model of theirs.
    My computer is far superior to a similar priced model of theirs.

These are direct comparison of stats, function, and longevity. If you take the time to look around, you'll find that only loyalty has kept Apple going, not innovation.

• Southernhick82 2013/06/17 06:12:59
  • codie.paul 2013/02/09 19:24:09 (edited)
    codie.paul
    I guess. I mean they're laptops are cool, but thats about it. I think its really cool they are coming out with a TV, but still dont know much about it. Im a big fan of At&t.; they are just really good. And anyone can see an Iphone. All you have to do is go online. Or ask someone. Or go to a store.
  • mikism 2013/02/03 22:23:40
    mikism
    Haha! Is gravity a fact on earth?
  • JessDeCristo 2013/02/02 13:32:33
    JessDeCristo
    Apple will always be IF not the best, one of the best. It was a pioneering company. Sore of like Henry Ford. Because you have to realise that eventualy everything changes , most for the worse, others for the best. you also have to realise, that The Brain that created Apple , has left the building.
  • Livvy 2013/02/02 05:00:23
    Livvy
    It is stagnet rigth now and that is perfectly fine, but if they want to remain on top they better make something bold
  • Storm 2013/02/02 00:21:52
    Storm
    I vote in-between it's good but all the new devices are breaking down(glitching) and the older ones(iPhone 4s, and iPod 4 generation) is better then the new ones.
  • Vic F 2013/02/01 17:29:34
    Vic F
    Linux is the cool thing now

Linux operating systems
  • thefatguy 2013/02/01 07:55:07
    thefatguy
    Apple blows away anything Windows has ever done or will ever do. There is no better portable music device than iPod. There is no better tablet than iPad. There is no better desktop than a Mac. And, for those of you whinging about price, quality costs. Good sushi isn't cheap and cheap sushi isn't good.
  • Vic F thefatguy 2013/02/01 17:30:51
    Vic F
    there's the Sony MP3 player which is far better than IPod..because it also plays video, records live with a built in mic and much more
  • thefatguy Vic F 2013/02/01 17:32:11
    thefatguy
    That's fantastic! Oh, except Sony will break after six months. Yeah, I guess you forgot about that part...
  • Vic F thefatguy 2013/02/01 17:41:43
    Vic F
    I have Sony products back from the 80's and they work fine.

I rarely ever had any problems with Sony. I maintain all my equipment like new and nothing breaks or dies - with an exception if somebody else uses it or damages it.
  • thefatguy Vic F 2013/02/01 18:06:18
    thefatguy
    I used to buy nothing but Sony. But, they always broke after a short time. I will never buy Sony again.
  • democoach thefatguy 2013/02/01 17:33:59
    democoach
    +1
    ipod is really good, well the ipod classic is, im not a fan of the itouch.

lot of tablets have come close to the ipad ifnot have reached the level.

i have a macbook pro and i love it. much better then pc.

if i could afford it i'd go with the best imac
  • Lee 2013/02/01 07:40:43
    Lee
    I've never even seen an iphone, and probably won't for a long, long time, as I am part of the "lower income".
  • Nuke 2013/02/01 07:40:24
    Nuke
    Afford it or not, the product is over priced and the improvements between 4 and 5 are a joke, Apple maps doesn't work and the OS system sucks and the fact that you're so restricted in everything, I hate that you have to pick between ATT and Verizon and both of those companies suck and rip you off... In short you get much less for much more.
    Even if I was uber rich I still wouldn't like apple products because they're a waste of money.
  • twhiting9275 2013/02/01 04:54:47
    twhiting9275
    Yeah, whoever came up with those stats clearly knows not of what they speak
    39, < $50k/yr, tech guy (I build websites, servers, maintain the interwebs , or parts of it, etc), guess what my phone is? Guess? Ok, Ill tell ya... It's an iPhone
  • Masonery 2013/01/31 23:33:22
    Masonery
    Well, considering that most students are idiots, I woukd say that they are wrong. (I am a student myself, I know how stupid my peers are from experience. In fact, the smart ones are all part of the apple haters, like me.)
    Also, I would suggest listening to the people actually in the industry. What do artists know about hardware anyway? People need experts, not celebs.
  • Kezzi In Jesus I trust<3 2013/01/31 18:31:55
    Kezzi In Jesus I trust<3
    no
  • Warfinge 2013/01/31 17:04:00
    Warfinge
    Apple products have never appealed to me. From the days when I used a G3 at work, to my gen 4 ipod to the current iphones. Over priced and short utility lifespan. I see Android based tech more attractive, affordable and more life between generations. I can't see the appeal of Apple products in general. It's baffles me.
  • M 2013/01/31 06:38:19
    M
    +1
    I think Apple is a status symbol. It strives to be a trendsetter while rendering itself totally incompatible with other forms of technology... and charges a premium for this... which people pay. I guess this is why the "Pet Rock" was so popular years ago.
  • twhitin... M 2013/02/01 04:56:26
    twhiting9275
    hah, you're kidding, you have to be kidding
    When a (barely) minimum wage employee can afford not one, but two of their products brand new (iPhone, iMac), that proves JUST how much of a status symbol they are. They're not, not at all. Havent been for ages now.
  • M twhitin... 2013/02/02 09:43:45
    M
    If its not a status symbol at 200% of the price of comparable products that do the same (in some cases more) then I don't know what to call it... poor decision making? I was trying to be nice. A minimum wage employee can afford quite a bit if they have no expenses and save their money.
  • MadMax 2013/01/31 05:57:01
    MadMax
    +3
    Apparently, a lot of morons out there that enjoy paying top dollar for outdated tech. Have fun with thar.
  • Bureauc 0Blunder 2013/01/31 03:12:11
    Bureauc 0Blunder
    Sill very cool, just not quite as cool as they were a year ago. We will just have to see what new products the Company can come up with in a post Steve Jobs world. So far we have only seen updates of existing products. And talk of the Apple TV have subsided to the point that its existence may have been nothing more than a rumor. I have to wonder what if anything is in the pipeline.
  • JOSEPH 2013/01/31 02:47:06
    JOSEPH
    +2
    Yes apple is better than any gadget
  • Nuke JOSEPH 2013/02/01 07:42:59
    Nuke
    Thanks for the laugh.
  • flowercivic 2013/01/31 01:38:07 (edited)
    flowercivic
    I will give Apple credit, they did pave the way for making phones "smart", but some of their competitors have surpassed the level of innovation Apple offered. Unfortunately, they did not keep the innovative momentum, and ended up getting a little too comfortable with their product.

Building and submitting applications to Apple's iTunes store is a pain in the rump. Six weeks of waiting for approval, and in some cases it can take even longer! Both Blackberry & Google Play are around the 2-3 week window of approval. Though I have stopped supporting Blackberry this year.

Another issue I have with Apple is how annoyingly difficult it is to upload your CD's or other MP3's using their clunky iTunes interface. Then, there is the painful process of migrating your music to something other than your Apple device. I got another device (not mentioning what so they don't get sued too) with a simple file explorer option for transferring files to and from... It also automatically updates it's OS instead of being forced to sync it to iTunes.

The last, is the price verses value comparison... I research the specs before I purchase anything, and I don't allow a sales rep to guide me. Competitors offer more powerful devices, better interfaces, at a lower cost. The only thing that is selling Apple right now is loyalty and darned good marketing.

They have me on the techie thing though.
  • twhitin... flowerc... 2013/02/01 05:04:49
    twhiting9275
    regarding being surpassed:
    Apple puts out how many phones a year? It's to be expected that their competition, who puts out multiple phones, AFTER Apple puts theirs out are going to smoke them.. That's a no brainer there

As far as apps to their store, this is probably true, but hey, it's how they choose to operate. Do you know precisely how many they have to go through? How many they have to tear apart every day? No, well, neither do I. The point is that with that many apps in their store, it's a nightmare process. Give 'em a bit of a break. Google doesn't have half the apps, OR half the stringent process. Why? Because Google doesn't care.

As far as uploading / ripping your CD's, seriously? Clunky? Hardly. Build playlists, upload playlists. Use smart playlists, or even Genius. Yeah, they actually WORK. I've been using iTunes for years now, and let me tell you, up until 11, it's been the least 'clunky' out of any of them (and I've used ALL of them, musicmatch, win media player, napster, yahoo's media player, you name it, I've used it). Of course, with a real media library, everything else was a memory hog.

As far as price vs value
    4 years ago, I purchased an IPhone 3G-s for around $300
    To this day, it still functions. I gave in and upgraded to the 4S 2 years ago, but the 3G-s got pass...
    regarding being surpassed:

As far as price vs value
    To this day, it still functions. I gave in and upgraded to the 4S 2 years ago, but the 3G-s got passed on to my 5 and 6 year old neices... When I go there in July, it'll still be working. Why? Not because they're easy on it. no, no, no, half the time they forget where it's at, load the thing down with apps running, whine about the battery not keeping a charge. why? Because this thing is built to last.
    If that doesn't SCREAM value, then there's something wrong with you. My 4S? Still rock solid, and while I may (debating) upgrade when I'm able, I don't HAVE to.
  • alex 2013/01/30 23:57:41
  • Helena 2013/01/30 23:51:02
  • Zion21 2013/01/30 23:11:58
    Zion21
    +3
    Sure they are, but competitors are catching up and the public is finally starting to realize they can get more bang for their buck.

• Rebel 2013/01/30 22:26:00
    Rebel
    +1
    The apple wave crashed long ago. It's just an old fad now.
  • macbeth 2013/01/30 21:15:28
    macbeth
    +2
    I think Apple is over-priced and over-rated. I'm no techie, but what does Apple have that Android doesn't. I now have a Windows phone and, apart from the lack of free apps, I'm really happy with it. I always thought that, with their laptops and iphones, that you were paying a high premium just for the name.
  • Dillon ... macbeth 2013/01/31 00:38:36
    Dillon PANG
    +3
    Most of the windows apps and design and operating system is pretty much the same as the apple one so they just copied apple. The icons pictures are just modified.
  • macbeth Dillon ... 2013/01/31 00:42:35
    macbeth
    Yes, I have read that there was a fair amount of patent infringement going on. As I said, I'm no techie: my knowledge of the field is very limited.
  • Masonery Dillon ... 2013/01/31 23:36:48
    Masonery
    +1
    That is like saying other companies cannot make golf clubs because one started it. Other than the base functionality, the two are nothing alike.
  • WF - Ru... Dillon ... 2013/02/04 15:02:12
    WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA
    Actually, Apple is a copy of Windows. At the time Apple was building the Macintosh, MS Windows was already on the shelf and sold in IBM. PackerBell, HP, Compaq and etc. By the time Apple produced a Windowed base OS. MS was already into their version 3 and 3.11 for work groups. When Apple finally became a network PC, the only network compatible was MS within a work environment.

As for the Mobile OS of Apple. Look into Symbian or Windows Mobile. Symbian hit the market and up until two years ago (Nokia purchased and killed Symbian) it was the Number 1 Mobile OS. The only truely open sourced Mobile OS that with any cellular running the S50 or S60 could do anything. You want your cellular phone to open your garage door. Bam there a apps for that and you did not need a networked Garage Door. You want a universal remote that can operate anything that has remote. Bam they has a apps for that. Now you may say that Apple came in and made it better, but Apple came in over 27 year later.

Apple sold there first Iphone in 2007
    Symbian first phone was on the market in 1980.
    Windows Mobile hit the Market in 2000

Now that is just a few Mobile OS. Lynix and Even Motorola has their out before then.
  • Phoenix 2013/01/30 20:13:21
    Phoenix
    +2
    I think people in IT like the innovation but don't like the fact of it being very restrictive, we don't need a tech-nanny to tell us what's good for us or not. Apple also try to lock you in to their services. I prefer the freedom of Android.
    Just my opinion.
  • Kigan 2013/01/30 18:35:33 (edited)
    Kigan
    +6

• WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA 2013/01/30 18:31:02
    WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA
    +2
    very uncool, Andriod and Chrome are the new age trending systems with Windows 8 gaining ground against Apple. Now Apple has to fight out one more company, the New BlackBery ZEN or 10 in side by side compared show just how slow the Apple iPhone 5 in reaction and abilities. And with the new Nokia launch just day s away, can Apple survive.

2014/04/18 23:30:42