PUBLIC OPINION > An All-Girls Prom Sounds Kind of Lame

At many American schools, there's this whole big deal about who you're going to go to prom with. It's also perceived as something of an under-the-table avenue for teen sex, though studies show it's probably not as common as teens think it is. But Hamtramck High School in Michigan just had its first all-girl prom to accommodate girls at the school who were of the Muslim faith, which places limitations on dating and dancing. Not only was the event a hit, but it also sparked admiration from sites like Gurl and The Mary Sue. We asked the public if a girls-only prom sounds like fun.

There were definitely some takers, but most people said they'd pass on an all-girl prom. Nothing against those who like the idea (for good measure, two-thirds of the Muslim vote was "Lame") it just doesn't have the same appeal as a co-ed event. There was a variety of reasons why people though the idea was lame, but it basically boiled down to the obvious: most people want a traditional prom. One commenter wrote, "I understand it's their religion. But any dance without boys there would be lame..." And of course, the guys had a unique challenge in answering this question, but we'll get to that in a bit.

Not Popular With Older Folk

Seeing as this is the first prom of its kind at Hamtramck High, it should come as no surprise that age was a major factor here. Voters 18-24 were most likely to give the all-girl prom idea a thumbs-up (teens were a little less enthusiastic) and support decreased steadily as voters got older. By the time they were in their 50s, only about one in five liked the idea.

Bisexuals Are On Board

In the comments section, we noticed that there was a lot of discussion about sexuality. Some of the discussion was presumptive, claiming the girls who attended "must be lesbians," but as one commenter noted, "Just because it's an all girls prom doesn't mean they're all lesbians." However, we also noticed quite a few comments from bisexual voters who loved the idea, and sure enough, it showed in the results.

Girls and Guys Are in Agreement

We're not exactly sure how to address the gender issue here, since obviously an all-girl prom would disqualify any male voters from attending. And that's no fun. But the results showed little difference in female and male response. Based on the comments, we can attribute male "Fun" votes to two things: Some guys were guessing girls would like it, and some guys were hoping to sneak in.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about all-girl prom. We'd love to hear from you!

• lilliannanicole 2012/05/23 00:09:03
    lilliannanicole
    well a whole bunch of girls trying to look there best yeah we need guys there so the girls wont kill each other
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/05/07 17:37:07
  • buffylove 2012/05/07 16:54:05
    buffylove
    +2
    Hfghyg
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/05/07 14:31:59
    Picasso's Cat
    +1
    That's one prom i would like to attend, lol!!!!!!
  • Soms Cougli 2012/05/07 10:04:29
    Soms Cougli
    Not if you're a lesbian >:)
  • MeganST 2012/05/07 09:30:59
    MeganST
    It's awesome that their accomodating the girls of muslim faith, maybe they could hold two dances? I have mostly girl proms at my school, being an all-girls school. Not many girls would know who to invite anyway.
  • TKramar 2012/05/07 07:04:31
    TKramar
    +1
    Straight guys don't like dancing much anyhow. And while there still could be sex involved, it isn't a kind that can get girls pregnant.
  • doc moto 2012/05/07 06:53:34
    doc moto
    So the guys just watch or not allowed at all then oh; okay! Like separate prom deals! Cool, more business for the party people!
  • Fariborz-Zak 2012/05/07 06:51:48
    Fariborz-Zak
    agree
  • RyoXander 2012/05/07 06:42:44
    RyoXander
    +1
    well well.. so whose gonna serve you a drinks then? who gonna put foods on the table? how about sounds checks? whose gonna be your dance partner??
  • tes 2012/05/07 04:51:49
    tes
    It will be fun but after some time it just be lame whiteout boys
  • cate 2012/05/07 03:38:46
    cate
    +1
    Sounds fun if you live in a convent.
  • ConfidentialDede 2012/05/07 03:36:06
    ConfidentialDede
    +3
    Im going with the traditional way an opposite sex , or other sex of choice , I couldnt deal with a bunch of screaming.
  • Hope 2012/05/07 00:40:21
    Hope
    That sounds kinda cool.
  • zero resistance 2012/05/06 23:21:25
  • Mrs Reckless 2012/05/06 23:05:45
    Mrs Reckless
    Where's the fun in an all girl prom? Sure, you can have a laugh with your bestfriends, but it's always funny to giggle at the guys that hit on girls they really don't have a chance with. And I'd hate it if I had a boyfriend at the time of the prom and I couldn't go with him:(
  • pammerjammer 2012/05/06 21:19:21
    pammerjammer
    Could lead to more virgins graduating, but it sucks.
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/05/06 21:18:22
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Lame.
  • Timetraveler 2012/05/06 17:57:50
    Timetraveler
    Oops I thought the question was about all girl PORN.
  • XCloudPandaX 2012/05/06 14:26:33
    XCloudPandaX
    personally....i couldnt deal with that many girls...just...no
  • Metaldane 2012/05/06 14:16:56
    Metaldane
    I hink theyre all lame most of the kids I know don't even go to prom anymore with all the rules parents have pushed for in the schools in my senior year we all just went to our own party but I think an all girl party would be cool as long as there's another one I could go to lol.
  • Sherlock Dog BL - a Gazillion 2012/05/06 13:07:42
  • Opinion... Sherloc... 2012/05/07 02:24:27
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +1
    Most likely I mean hell we give muslims everything else why not?
  • Sherloc... Opinion... 2012/05/07 12:33:10
  • Opinion... Sherloc... 2012/05/08 21:57:50
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    Lmfao Yeah they will that way they can kill them and place a bomb in them and put them on the side of the road for an IED here in the states.
  • L1 2012/05/06 10:22:40
    L1
    +3
    If the girls want their own prom, then I see no harm in it. If the boys don't mind either, then why object?
  • joe mauro 2012/05/06 05:59:39
    joe mauro
    i object once again in print to the use of the lame.
  • joe mauro joe mauro 2012/05/06 06:00:10
    joe mauro
    +1
    the word lame is objectionable
  • ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥ 2012/05/06 05:42:50
    ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥
    Im gonna have to go half and half. its sounds fun for girls who arent really good at talking to guys or because of the religious beliefs, but i would have to also say that, prom is supposed to be a special night. yeah most will have dates and most wont but i have to say that it's not just about the girl/boy, "who will ask me?" or "who to ask". What about knowing that you're gonna move onto college, that's maybe somewhere halfway around the country and you wont see your friends again. I went to prom with my friends and my sister and i still had fun with my friends. Yeah, I would have liked it if a guy asked me to prom but i guess no guy noticed me, but thats okay. As long as i got to spent time with my friends then thats fine with me. I say go for it if you want to or not. It still does sounds fun. Just having an all girls dance for a night
  • mklprc 2012/05/06 05:18:31
    mklprc
    Just the kind of thing for the extremely sexually repressed and controlled. I'm sure the Mormons do the same thing.
  • Grady Jellyneck 2012/05/06 04:31:18
    Grady Jellyneck
    sounds like fun to watch lol
  • Revolution 2012 2012/05/06 02:40:07
    Revolution 2012
    +1
    Completely and totally lame. I got my girlfriend at my graduate prom. How many kids do you want to cock-block here??!! :P
  • MissJo 2012/05/05 23:40:16
    MissJo
    Speak for yourself, I'd still think it'd be pretty legit.
  • Queen B 2012/05/05 21:46:19
    Queen B
    +1
    What's the point?
  • MissJo Queen B 2012/05/05 23:39:53
    MissJo
    To have fun. Since when do you need men to do that?
  • Queen B MissJo 2012/05/06 01:17:50
    Queen B
    +1
    Then don't call it a prom. It's a teen dance for girls only.
  • MissJo Queen B 2012/05/06 18:37:05
    MissJo
    Point?
  • Queen B MissJo 2012/05/06 19:01:04
    Queen B
    +2
    Seriously? I didn't realize you were so obtuse. A "prom" taken from the word "promenade" is a more formal affair involving both males and females in formal attire to dance, and at times in past history attend a formal end of the year banquet for upper classmen. This "all female" dance is no more than a high school teen dance or sock hop for girls only. Even traditionally all female private schools and universities have proms and formal dances where the girls have dates to the dance with male companions. If you have a problem with that answer, then that's on you. I'm not getting into some online pissing match over Muslim girls in Michigan having a girls only dance.
  • MissJo Queen B 2012/05/07 05:04:40
    MissJo
    Right, I don't see why that would make it lame though.
  • METALheadMom 2012/05/05 20:41:54
    METALheadMom
    +2
    Well, it's too bad we even have to consider doing this. BUT, let's consider WHY. Girls now, tend to be snotty, judgmental, far too worried about "appearance", and far too dependent on their girlfriends. Guys, are the mostly the same, but are also insecure about being rejected by these "look down their noses" girls. Obviously this creates the
    REAL problem. What's the solution? REALISTIC CONSIDERATE PARENTS these kids feel comfortable talking with about these kinds of issues.

Sorry, but ALL of my four kids, and ALL of their friends, came to ME to talk about their issues. I listen, ask a lot of questions, and tell them the truth. Their parents would never let these kids be their friend like that. Kids won't know what to do, or how to change what they do, unless someone helps them find how. Being afraid to ask someone who knows is not their fault, it's the someone who knows fault for instilling that fear.

2014/11/01 01:15:44