PUBLIC OPINION > A Third of People Would Sell Dope If It Was Legal

"Deliver Us From Evil" director Matthew Cooke just released his latest documentary, "How to Make Money Selling Drugs." The documentary follows drug dealers, celebrities, and law enforcement to get a better understanding of the $400 billion drug industry -- specifically, how and why people get involved in the industry, despite heavy penalties. But we wanted to know how much of the public would sell drugs if they were legal.

Amazingly, a third of respondents admitted they would sell drugs if it were legalized. There were a few reasons people said they would sell dope. Some compared it to the pharmaceutical industry, suggesting there was little-to-no difference between prescription pills and illegal drugs. Others clarified that they would only sell soft drugs, namely marijuana, and avoid the hard stuff. Finally, some said they would only do it if they were in desperate need of money.

Youth Culture

By age, nearly every demographic voted the same, within a few percent of the overall. However, two groups stood out. Voters in the 18-24 group were about 13% more likely than most to say they would sell drugs, whereas the over-65 group was 22% less likely. We were most surprised to see that so many people between the ages of 35 and 65 were willing to sell. They were as likely as teens.

Employment Benefits

Not surprisingly, employment status had a major correlation. Full-time workers were a little less willing than most, while the unemployed were much more likely to sell. As many suggested, and Cooke's movie seems to imply, the idea of selling drugs might be significantly more appealing in desperation. Though, again, there was a good number of employed respondents who said they would.

Gateway Substances

Some say marijuana is a gateway drug, but based on the results it would appear alcohol and tobacco are, too. Smokers were twice as likely to sell drugs as nonsmokers. It could be that some people who listed themselves as "smokers" actually smoke marijuana and not tobacco, but even a good portion of drinkers said they'd consider selling drugs.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about selling dope. We'd love to hear from you!

• JAA Master 2012/08/14 00:49:53 (edited)
    JAA
    It doesn't matter how many languages a person speaks if they can't communicate to where others understand what they're trying to say. In case you didn't know, that's what language is for....communication. This isn't a pissing contest.

Like I said, I wouldn't have mentioned it had you not been so insulting in the first place. Insults are insults, no matter what language you make them in.
  • Master JAA 2012/08/13 14:30:45
  • Master Nick A 2012/08/13 14:33:41
    Master
    +1
    Man i cant stand people that are so brainwashed its almost sad!
  • JAA Master 2012/08/13 19:00:21 (edited)
    JAA
    You're better off than me, 'cause I'm surrounded by village idiots who make assumptions about others before finding out the facts. Now, THAT is not only "almost sad", it is pure sadness! I bet you're both a CINO & RINO, too, which makes you a genuine "fake".
  • Robbb 2012/08/11 06:13:57
    Robbb
    People sell drugs now in the form of cigarettes alcohol and all kindsof chemical preparations from the pharmacy, not to mention the complete over use of sugar to keep the kids coming in for more so what is the diference?
  • shadow76 2012/08/11 04:05:57
    shadow76
    No morals at all!
  • Rich shadow76 2012/08/12 09:39:15 (edited)
    Rich
    +1
    Morals? Marijuana has been in use for thousands,thousands ,of years with not one death attributed to it. Viagra as just one of many was approved by a government agency and later found to have DEADLY side affects. Morals?
  • shadow76 Rich 2012/08/12 09:48:23
    shadow76
    I find you Offensive Viagra is the last drug I want to hear about you sexist jerk!
  • Master shadow76 2012/08/13 20:30:29
    Master
    lol your a joke
  • JAA Rich 2012/08/13 19:10:55
    JAA
    You're missing her point, Richie. Morals & death-causing chemicals are in two different categories. People can be involved in immoral behaviors without having death or illness involved in that activity.
  • lum-the-oni 2012/08/11 03:45:30
  • ღ♥ღ ℒea ღ♥ღ 2012/08/11 03:29:26
    ღ♥ღ ℒea ღ♥ღ
    well that's just lovely. If each were successful, one third of America would be on dope.

Disclaimer: yes, I know this was a SodaHead poll, but if it were representing the masses...
  • chris.haynees 2012/08/11 03:09:57 (edited)
    chris.haynees
    I have never been a drug dealer ,but I have sold a bowl or two to friends in my high school days. I honestly think the prohibition of drugs is ridicules, socialist, and just a sustainable method of civil control. DEA gets to wright their own warrants that's not right. There are more pot smokes in jail then child molesters and murderers. They release violent offenders to make room for drug addicts. I favor rehabilitation over incarceration. I understand criminals are a resource and i find it disgusting. What ever happened to common law.?
  • Rob E 2012/08/11 00:07:05
    Rob E
    Pretty vague alcohol is a drug tobacco a drug so take some percentages of the poll as well.. Still pretty good poll as apparently 70 percent have moral health or particular adversaries towards drugs or selling drugs . . pretty good. . i think a better poll would be 70 % wouldn't sell drugs if it was legal - do you agree. . see what happens.. That's worth discussing..
  • JAA Rob E 2012/08/13 19:13:00
    JAA
    You might get more people to respond to your posts if they made sense. Grammar was taught in school for a reason . . .
  • Rob E JAA 2012/08/14 20:53:19
  • JAA Rob E 2012/08/15 04:35:06
    JAA
    Nope, obviously not, & so my original statement stands as written.
  • Rob E JAA 2012/08/15 14:08:42
  • JAA Rob E 2012/08/15 15:21:19 (edited)
    JAA
    Was there a period or comma in your first few sentences so that I know when one of your thoughts starts & stops? I believe you are the one looking "stupid". Grammar & spelling, along with manners, are obviously no longer taught in our public schools, especially those in foreign countries. Such a shame, as you miss out on so much information & exchange of ideas.
  • Rob E JAA 2012/08/15 15:51:27
    Rob E
    One Mainstay i always found is that when people lose an argument, in order to divert from that; some people will point out your spelling mistakes or throw in ludicracies ( in order to confuse you; and there by taking attention of the actual point of argument) such as taking one minus point and then making it a representative of a WHole NaTion..

All this tells you is that the other person is saying DONT LOOK AT MEEE!!! IM StUPid. HERE I'LL PROVE IT TO YOUU... By saying something even MoRe stupid.. But HEY

Ateast it took the attention of the first dumb thing i said .. and we can forget it..

Or can wee .. HHMMMM mmm rr r.

It doesnt actually change the fact (for me) that you been schooled like a three year old;)
    Lol.
  • JAA Rob E 2012/08/15 15:56:36 (edited)
    JAA
    I point out your spelling/grammar, honey, because the reason we use it is in order to "communicate" with others. If you don't want your thoughts to be understood, then continue as you are doing. Also, I've yet to see anything intelligent or of interest coming from your keyboard.

Methinks you are hypersensitive. Most men today seem to be girlie men & very thin-skinned. That doesn't bode well for the safety & security of the nations or world at large, as women & children need heroes, not men who will cry & complain at the slightest provocation.

Also, when you talk with your mama, please ask her why she was so remiss in teaching her child manners. Had she "schooled" her little 3 y/o, we wouldn't be having this awkward back & forth. Thanks.
  • Rob E JAA 2012/08/14 20:59:21
    Rob E
    You think a website that runs polls on wether people like chocolate if they can work a calculator what they are doing right now and hows the weather is of any intellectual stitimulation to me? You think i would really be curling my toes on a reply? You think i would expect a reply? Of any value ? Like yours?
  • JAA Rob E 2012/08/15 04:35:42
    JAA
    I think you've been tokin' a bit is what I think.
  • Defcon 2012/08/10 23:45:48
    Defcon
    +1
    Makes sense in this economy
  • NOT14U2 2012/08/10 23:30:20
    NOT14U2
    +1
    I would record every one of these answers to be used against them in a court of law someday !
  • exhon2009 NOT14U2 2012/08/11 02:01:56
    exhon2009
    +1
    Could you imagine the SH community in prison, all using their avatar names. "What are you in for?". "Admitting I'd sell drugs if it were legal, how about you?" "Having too many sock puppets".
  • JAA NOT14U2 2012/08/13 19:13:34
    JAA
    lol
  • evangelism_vision 2012/08/10 23:23:25
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't care how bad off i get. Never
  • exhon2009 evangel... 2012/08/11 02:03:56
    exhon2009
    The economics of it are compelling. However, the one question I ask that stops me dead in my tracks is "Are you willing to gain monetarily by poisoning someone else's kid"? HELL NO!
  • evangel... exhon2009 2012/08/11 17:56:17 (edited)
    evangelism_vision
    HONESTY AND RESPONSIBILITY TO ME, IS MORE IMPORTANT
  • scbluesman13 2012/08/10 20:07:40
    scbluesman13
    +3
    I'd open up a smoke lounge, complete with ping-pong tables, billiards, and darts.
  • Crische 2012/08/10 20:03:10
    Crische
    +1
    I just dont understand how giant pharmaceutical companies are allowed to churn out millions of artificial drugs specific to any an every kind of illness, while more often than not they straight up tell you it has side effects like stroke, heart attack, impaired coordination, sleep walking, or even death (cigs and alcohol included). And yet the flower marijuana with no known permanent side effects (munches and short term memory loss maybe) is made out to be an despicable and vile substance. Oh ya, because if it was legal and allowed to be the universal feel good medicine that it is, all of those other drug companies lose business. And because it opens up/relaxes your mind enough for you to start actually using your brain and thinking for yourself and enjoying the world. They wouldn't want that would they.
  • daclaud 2012/08/10 20:00:04
    daclaud
    +1
    Selling dope would bring about as much retail profit as alcohol, which is like 4% according to my friend who owns a liquor store. I suppose you could open up an Opium Den or Weed Parlor and mark it up (just how bars and clubs mark up alcohol) by creating a social environment just like Hooka lounges.
  • t.eliot, topbard 2012/08/10 19:38:27
    t.eliot, topbard
    +1
    The $$$ in dealing dope comes from its illegality. Legalization would remove almost all the incentive to deal, so this whole discussion is not relevant.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/08/10 19:07:50
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +3
    I have no interest in take or selling drugs. I also do not drink alcohol.
  • gary ☆stillt... 2012/08/11 13:25:58
    gary
    sorry for your life.
  • ☆stillt... gary 2012/08/11 18:08:03
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    Why would you be sorry? I have no need of them.
  • JAA gary 2012/08/13 19:28:26 (edited)
    JAA
    Seriously, do you think someone's life is bad because they're not dopers, criminals, or alcoholics? We are sorry for YOUR life if that is the case, as that would mean you have a dependent personality disorder.
  • tammy carter 2012/08/10 19:06:23
  • Adrianna 2012/08/10 18:55:13
    Adrianna
    +2
    They are probably the same people that sell dope now while it is illegal.

2014/09/21 06:10:50