PUBLIC OPINION > A Third of People Would Sell Dope If It Was Legal

"Deliver Us From Evil" director Matthew Cooke just released his latest documentary, "How to Make Money Selling Drugs." The documentary follows drug dealers, celebrities, and law enforcement to get a better understanding of the $400 billion drug industry -- specifically, how and why people get involved in the industry, despite heavy penalties. But we wanted to know how much of the public would sell drugs if they were legal.

Amazingly, a third of respondents admitted they would sell drugs if it were legalized. There were a few reasons people said they would sell dope. Some compared it to the pharmaceutical industry, suggesting there was little-to-no difference between prescription pills and illegal drugs. Others clarified that they would only sell soft drugs, namely marijuana, and avoid the hard stuff. Finally, some said they would only do it if they were in desperate need of money.

Youth Culture

By age, nearly every demographic voted the same, within a few percent of the overall. However, two groups stood out. Voters in the 18-24 group were about 13% more likely than most to say they would sell drugs, whereas the over-65 group was 22% less likely. We were most surprised to see that so many people between the ages of 35 and 65 were willing to sell. They were as likely as teens.

Employment Benefits

Not surprisingly, employment status had a major correlation. Full-time workers were a little less willing than most, while the unemployed were much more likely to sell. As many suggested, and Cooke's movie seems to imply, the idea of selling drugs might be significantly more appealing in desperation. Though, again, there was a good number of employed respondents who said they would.

Gateway Substances

Some say marijuana is a gateway drug, but based on the results it would appear alcohol and tobacco are, too. Smokers were twice as likely to sell drugs as nonsmokers. It could be that some people who listed themselves as "smokers" actually smoke marijuana and not tobacco, but even a good portion of drinkers said they'd consider selling drugs.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about selling dope. We'd love to hear from you!

• liz 2012/09/07 13:11:41
    liz
    arent the schools filled up kids on " LEGAL" meds aka nacotics anyway??
  • diane RN 2012/09/04 01:58:23
    diane RN
    I have known people in the past who have put themselves through expensive colleges by selling drugs. I have had acquaintances ask me if they can use an extra room in my house to grow weed...they would pay me 60K a year for that. I can't take the chance. If it was legal? Hell yes. Its like liquor stores or bars....totally recession proof, cash business and a constant supply of new customers. Sad but true.
  • Okie Lady 2012/09/03 17:58:04
    Okie Lady
    I think this is one issue where a person's core values comes out. I would not do something I know is wrong to make money, so I would not sell drugs regardless of how badly I needed the money or how much money I would make at it.
  • Sean Masters 2012/09/03 15:15:46
    Sean Masters
    I would sell almost anything that grows out of the earth and needs little to no processing. Also support those medications that are derived from that which grows from the earth such as opioids, although I would never sell this chemistry lab crap that people pass around and do not care much for the effects some drugs have on the public. I would stick to mainly drugs that tend to keep people at home and interested in fun things rather than going hog wild at sports events or driving, etc., I speak of alcohol which I find most hypocritical as it is one of the most dangerous drugs there are and perfectly legal much to the appointment of great lobbyists. And if you really wonder why most of America is fine with marijuana and yet it still isn't legal, you can speak to the same lobbyists as alcohol companies do NOT want to compete with another market, especially one that is much cleaner and much less dangerous to the body of the person taking it and the populace at large. IMHO, Cheers!
  • kobidobidog 2012/08/28 20:55:52
    kobidobidog
    I would not sell drugs of any kind. I would promote the U,C,S, for all ages. All at once if there were enough U,C,S, chiropractic practitioners to check everyone right now.
  • carl.noon.3 2012/08/21 23:39:03
  • Leasher... carl.no... 2012/08/22 00:49:29
    Leasheryn/Lady Willpower
    Idiot! Is this the only thing you have to offer? If so, it is sad, pathetic and worthless. You have put this cut and paste nonsense in at least 5 different posts. Most often it has nothing to do with the content of the original post. Don't you have an original thought or is this the best you can do? Doing this makes you look like a mindless, droll little frog. It's boring.
  • Mean Mommy 2012/08/18 22:58:18
    Mean Mommy
    NO! Just because you can, does not mean that you should! This saying should apply to a lot more than this particular opinion. Another saying "treat others the way you would like to be treated" just show respect even if you do not agree with them and hopefully they will do the same, if not maybe by showing/teaching some of these individuals who probably do not even know the meaning of what "RESPECT" is that maybe they will have enough sense to learn and realize that respect goes both ways. Just agree to disagree!
  • Sam Diego 2012/08/15 18:30:03
    Sam Diego
    +3
    One problem people have is the economic one, Most sellers assume that the price of a drug would be the same regardless of whether it is legal or illegal. Dreams of selling legal drugs for big bucks are, well, just dreams. Once the criminal cost is removed and 1,000's of people become sellers to a buyers market that will be bigger, but not by much, the price will drop like a rock in a pond.

Most people are ignorant of economic behaviors, but these very same people have big opinions about economics and screw up the country with their economic illiteracy by voting for politicians who promise economic outcomes that they can't deliver, and this includes both left and right.

The right thinks that by outlawing drugs it can "solve" the problem. It only causes extremely high prices for drugs and induces extremely violent people to become sellers. The left thinks that any private behavior should be acceptable, even legal, forgetting that there are private behaviors that while they may be legal, shouldn't be considered morally acceptable, such as cocaine use. The use of marijuana or cocaine, while it may become legal, should still be considered as immoral by most people. If I were an employer and I learned that an applicant used cocaine, I would not hire that person. I mean, do you wan...

The right thinks that by outlawing drugs it can "solve" the problem. It only causes extremely high prices for drugs and induces extremely violent people to become sellers. The left thinks that any private behavior should be acceptable, even legal, forgetting that there are private behaviors that while they may be legal, shouldn't be considered morally acceptable, such as cocaine use. The use of marijuana or cocaine, while it may become legal, should still be considered as immoral by most people. If I were an employer and I learned that an applicant used cocaine, I would not hire that person. I mean, do you want your investment advisor to be a cocaine snorter in her off-hours? What signal does that send to the customer, if the customer were to find out. and I don't mean just conservative customers, either. You want them to make money for you and to have a clear head when they make decisions.
  • Dagon 2012/08/15 17:39:52
  • Zhu Bajie (Pigsy) 2012/08/14 20:22:33 (edited)
    Zhu Bajie (Pigsy)
    +1
    What about the buying and selling of human kidneys at Walmart. Are we capitalists here or what?
  • ={WGO}=captnesti 2012/08/14 17:14:46
    ={WGO}=captnesti
    Nope, I wouldn't sell dope. Marijuana on the other hand, yes,
  • george 2012/08/14 11:50:20
    george
    If it were legal there would be no need for drug dealers.
  • Bob DiN 2012/08/14 06:33:52
    Bob DiN
    It show has how twisted some minds are. The moral decay marches on in America.
  • Miss Ellen 2012/08/13 21:25:22
    Miss Ellen
    Well it's good to know that it'll be easy to find if they legalize it ;p
  • JJ 2012/08/13 18:19:35
    JJ
    +1
    They would sell it if it was legal...heck they sell it now, when its not legal.
  • teachaman~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/13 17:44:33
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    if I could get hold of a bunch of sarin or maybe some strychnine to lace the drugs with beforehand, I'd distribute them for free!
  • Risk 2012/08/13 16:37:02
    Risk
    +3
    NEVER ! I've seen way too many lives and family's destroyed by them !
  • Bob DiN Risk 2012/08/14 06:34:56
    Bob DiN
    +2
    Agreed!
  • moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust" 2012/08/13 15:39:20
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    +4
    That's nothing. Look at how many were stupid enough to vote for Obama. lol
  • Risk moorrbr... 2012/08/13 16:35:39
  • lorie.poulson.5 2012/08/13 10:39:01 (edited)
    lorie.poulson.5
    +3
    Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug. There's No Such Thing as a "Gateway Drug ...

No I wouldn't sell it, there'd be no real market for it when it becomes legal again. It's a plant, just like tomatoes, peas, corn, etc... most would grow it in their own vegetable gardens.

http://www.alternet.org/story...
  • Johann 2012/08/13 04:19:11
    Johann
    I would push for legalizing for medical uses. Then wait and see if attitudes change on the topic.
  • Omnix 2012/08/13 03:30:06
    Omnix
    I wouldn't sell it, but I'd probably buy and smoke it if hemp were legal again. I make far more money writing code, and any number of other things I know how to do...
  • ben 2012/08/12 21:25:07
    ben
    +1
    Well I'm part of the 2/3's that wouldn't.. I don't like selling anything
  • Ozymandias 2012/08/12 20:25:20
  • DavidK 2012/08/12 12:54:21
    DavidK
    +2
    Who would buy it if everyone is selling?!?!?!?!?
  • Jan 2012/08/12 11:10:50
    Jan
    +2
    I'm proud to say that if I knew of someone selling drugs I'd report them to the police. Drug dealers sell death and escape murder charges while they continue their disgusting trade.
  • Lizzy Jan 2012/08/12 12:39:09
    Lizzy
    +1
    So true Jan but it`s very dangerous to become involved with such people, they will exact Revenge on someone who talks.
  • Jan Lizzy 2012/08/12 13:35:55
    Jan
    +1
    Only if they find out who it is Lizzy. I'm sure that the Police wouldn't tell them and I'd keep it to myself too. But I'd still report dealers. Where we used to live where I worked with teenagers I've seen too many of them die because of drugs and seen the devastation it causes their families. So for me I'd have no choice other than to report those scum who peddle drugs. I couldn't sleep at nightn if I didn't.
  • gary Jan 2012/08/12 14:20:16
    gary
    you do know most police has a couple of inside men that will let the drug sellers onto you. You will come up missing.
  • Jan gary 2012/08/12 15:14:27
    Jan
    I don't think it works like that here in the UK. Our Police force seem to be grateful for any help the public can give them to bring down the dealers. However, I have to live with my conscience and do what I feel is right. Therefore if what you suggest were to happen it is a risk I'd just have to take.
  • gary Jan 2012/08/13 17:05:13
    gary
    +1
    by the way, jolly good show. You guys put on the best show of the 2012 games yet. We americans can take notes.
  • Jan gary 2012/08/13 19:26:11
    Jan
    Thank you very much. It really is nice to hear some praise for the UK.
  • gary Jan 2012/08/20 15:40:19
    gary
    +1
    by the way, didn't some jerk say you Brits could not be trusted to pull it off. You sure showed him.
  • Jan gary 2012/08/20 15:49:40
    Jan
    Ha ha, I wonder where he's hiding now! I bet he won't underestimate us again!!! Though I have to admit to more than a little pride in how well it all went from the athlectic events to the opening and closing ceremonies. Now I hope that the next games go as well too.
  • gary Jan 2012/08/20 17:37:11 (edited)
    gary
    lucy he wasn't around during WWII. He would had no trust in the ENGLAND. He would have throw you to the wolves and lions.
  • You Know IT 2012/08/12 07:38:37 (edited)
    You Know IT
    Probably, though it'd be more of a i just walk around with it and if someone asks i sell.
  • Merlin 2012/08/12 05:17:27
    Merlin
    Honestly, yes, because someone is looking for it and they're willing to give you a lot of money for it. I don't smoke it, so might as well get rid of it.
  • Shonny 2012/08/12 02:14:42
    Shonny
    Well I wouldn't, I rather sell stuff on ebay. This is a sad statistic which is why we should never legalize marijuana, although it should be available legally for medicinal purposes.

2014/11/27 14:24:52