PUBLIC OPINION > 60 Percent Believe in Haunted Houses

Grammy-winning songstress Adele recently moved into an enormous £7 million mansion in Sussex, a rural county south of London. She was apparently very excited to move in, but the feeling moved from cheer to fear when she started hearing strange noises. We'll be the first to admit the story might be overblown, but sources are saying she thinks the place is haunted, and hired a full-time bodyguard to keep her safe. Because, you know, in England the best way to handle a ghost is with a sturdy truncheon. In light of Adele's spooky situation, we asked the public whether they believe houses can really be "haunted."

Sorry, Adele, but the results came back positive. Your house could very well be haunted. Many respondents had their own experiences to share, some casual and some downright unsettling. But we were almost giddy when we saw the demographic breakdown. There were differences everywhere -- big ones, too. So yes, three out of five believe in haunted houses, yadda yadda. Let's get to the breakdown.

An American Haunting

Though Adele is a Londoner herself, the vast majority of international voters (i.e. non-American) do not believe in haunted houses. It's tough to say exactly which countries were prone to believe, since a lot of the international votes were scattered in small amounts, but England is definitely not.

Ghostbusters

This one might explain why Adele was a little freaked out despite her nationality. Women are significantly more likely to believe in haunted houses. Of course, it is possible some men clicked "No" just to seem brave, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Agnostics Are Believers

When atheists and Christians strongly disagree on a topic, as they did here, agnostics tend to lean toward the atheist opinion. Because this question asked for a statement of belief, we assumed it would be the case. We were dead wrong. Agnostics were actually more likely to believe in haunted houses than Christians!

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about haunted houses. We'd love to hear from you!

• JP 2012/03/07 19:23:11
    JP
    +7
    white house

This house has been haunted by more than a fair share of morons!

• phil white I NEED ... 2012/03/08 00:49:47
    phil white
    I believe in 11 dimensions. My first degree was in physics. Quantum mechanics and such are weird. String theory is even weirder.
    But I believe in string theory because the math works out.
    Is an 11 dimension univers any less weird than an after life?
  • I NEED ... phil white 2012/03/08 01:01:05
  • phil white I NEED ... 2012/03/08 02:27:52
    phil white
    +1
    Some of us are given evidence. I was privilaged to.
  • I NEED ... phil white 2012/03/08 03:40:55
  • Heat Her 2012/03/07 20:01:28
    Heat Her
    +1
    Another fact I've learned in my years...1/3 of the population has the ability to see ghosts/spirits...the rest block them out
  • raimiek Heat Her 2012/03/19 18:18:43
    raimiek
    If that is true than how is it that some of us can't always block them out? :p I still think it's all in my head, but I could be wrong.
  • Heat Her raimiek 2012/03/19 18:33:10
    Heat Her
    denial blocks them, fear blocks them, grief blocks them, shielding blocks them. Most of those reasons will not block them out for good. IF they want to be seen, they're seen.
  • dv 2012/03/07 20:00:03
    dv
    Well I wouldn't say haunted but have spirits in them yes
  • misterz 2012/03/07 19:54:57
  • Peon of the Masses 2012/03/07 19:42:00
    Peon of the Masses
    +1
    60% believe in imaginary things and are therefore delusional and cannot be trusted on making sound choices.
  • DavidK Peon of... 2012/03/07 19:55:04
    DavidK
    +1
    Like when our current Prez. was elected!
  • frank DavidK 2012/03/07 20:27:32
    frank
    +2
    No that was a nightmare!
  • Peon of... DavidK 2012/03/08 23:34:57
    Peon of the Masses
    +1
    Well, now that you mention it,............
  • darkfeary474 2012/03/07 19:41:58
    darkfeary474
    +1
    Yes, The Paranormal does exist.... :)
  • Leona Hill 2012/03/07 19:40:06
    Leona Hill
    Yes, I know there are ghosts. I have seen them and heard them. I notice that more women believe than men. I don't really believe that is true. I think a number of men would not admit to believing in ghosts because they see it as an effiminate belief. Then too, I think that men in general lack a certain sensitivity that women have. I think everyone has a certain amount of psychic ability but that some have a great deal more of it. As for Christians believing in ghosts, from what I understand, they don't believe in ghosts; they believe in demons. There are different levels of hauntings, but I won't go into that.
  • phil white Leona Hill 2012/03/08 00:53:38
    phil white
    +1
    In the Bible is says the spirit stays near the body for 40 days after death.
    I think Mom turned up at my house a couple of months after she died.
  • Leona Hill phil white 2012/04/01 15:49:31
    Leona Hill
    I think it is very possible that you mom came to see you. I hope it was a good experience for you.
  • phil white Leona Hill 2012/04/02 01:37:59
    phil white
    Yes, the most. She retrived my 6th Inf units scroll from when I was in the service. She left it neatly linged up parallel to the edge of the couch, in the center as near as I could tell. I'd gone over that couch, pulled it out from the wall, took everythng off it, took up the cusions, felt under it, looked under, all weekend. It didn't make sense to look on the couch after the first couple of times but i was doing what psychologist call a "ritual".
    I was quite upset.
    It wasn't till Monday afternoon I happened to glace over at the couch and there it was. Right were I'd been looking all weekend.
    I've heard ghost stories like everyone else of course but this was the thing that happend to me that I couldn't explain. There were one or two other incidents in the year between her death and the scroll incident, but the others I could find a half baked explanation for.
    There are only three things between mom and me that might have been a casue of this exceptional experience.
    Mom was the most determined person I ever got to know on a first name basis. She was at least one in a hundred in that regard. My sisters and I referred to Mom as a force of nature.
    She could have been one in 10,000 or one in 1,000,000 for all I know.
    Another thing fairly unique about her was she had a near death e...

I was quite upset.
    Another thing fairly unique about her was she had a near death experience when she almost bleed to death after a botched tonsilectomy. She told us the story many times in the early 1950's. So when they first started to print stories about near death experience in the early 1960's I knew it wasn't all fairy tales because if sounded just like what Mom had been telling us kids about all those years.
    The third thing that may have contributed to her ability to reach through from the other 8 dimension mathematical physicist tell about, was she was very concerned about me when she was in her last months.
    I had only been married briefly in my life and was without children, Mom was worried about dying and leaving me alone as far as nuclear familly. My sisters by then had husbands, children and grandchildren.
    I was blessed by the experience. I like to share it with those who've not been as fortunate about departed loved ones.
    To tell you the truth, I'm not sure that Mom didn't hide the scroll from me on purpose to begin with. She had that kind of teenie bopper sense of humor, or maybe she knew it was a way to get my atttention and say "I'm here".
    When she was 80 a doctor wrote a report of her medical check up thusly;
    "This 80 year old woman looks like she's 60, thinks she's 40 and acts like she's 20."
    When I told our minister about it he said by tradition the soul stays near the body for 40 days. I can imagine it's hard to let go. The first thing that seemed unusual happend about 70 days after her death. That's what we call "within a half order of magnitude" when we take scientific measurements, 70 days being close to 40 that is.
    Happy Easter.
  • One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    +2
    I do, GOD EXISTS there for GHOST DO....and I believe an earth bound spirits with UNFINISHED WORK and they are left where they once inhabited or know well....
  • Omni One of ... 2012/03/07 19:42:53
    Omni
    Are you a Christian?
  • One of ... Omni 2012/03/08 15:26:06
    One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    And if I am...may ask why you want to know...
  • Omni One of ... 2012/03/08 16:14:30
    Omni
    Ghosts are denied in the bible.
  • One of ... Omni 2012/03/08 23:12:46
    One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    SPIRITS aren't..not at all..GOD is SPIRIT(the HOLY SPIRIT/ the HOLY GHOST).....and so are GHOSTS , and if I was a CHRISTIAN, it wouldn't conflict with my understanding of God's Word...I only know in part, and until that which is perfect arrives, I only will be able to see in part...all things are INCOMPLETE until that which comes to COMPLETE and MAKE PERFECT...

WHY DO YOU CARE IF I AM A CHRISTIAN, are there not others that have answered the question that could be Christians, and I know this to be true, WHY haven't you asked them ....
  • Omni One of ... 2012/03/09 01:24:42
    Omni
    Hebrews 9:27 - "Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment"
  • One of ... Omni 2012/03/19 14:46:24
    One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit are one in the same...and we only KNOW IN PART...for we see dimly....1 Corinthians 13:9-12 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect [complete] is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass [mirror], darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known....( when that which is perfect, has come to being , "THE PERFECT", then all we be known, but we don't go on the senses or shouldn't when it comes to GOD and the AFTERLIFE, for we are NOT fully aware)
    NO ONE VERSE, like the one you TOUT, can give ANYONE are CLEAR PICTURE. especially as to whether their are GHOST or NOT...ONE WHO LIVES in this WORLD, can only tell what one lives like in this world..THE BREATH, THEIR BLOOD FLOWS and THEIR HEART BEATS , so on...but WHETHER GOD has me waiting for HIS PRESENCE in the SPIRIT WORLD..no living man, nor does the bible ever say, but it does say WE CAN KNOW ONLY IN PART.......
    But I know there are those that go to a place where THERE IS WEEPING and GNASHING of TEETH a separation from GOD(it may be for a season or forever, who knows, I DON"T)...maybe that is HELL on this earth, to relive the LAST TIME and EVIL or LEARN THE LOST LESSONS...who knows..MY COMMANDMENT is to LIVE IN TRUTH..as it says...
  • One of ... Omni 2012/03/19 14:59:01
    One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    ONE OTHER THING that you have taken the WHOLE MEANING OUT OF CONTEXT....but the reference was REGARDING CHRIST's SACRIFICE, the SHEDDING OF HIS BLOOD, ONCE FOR ALL, and not over and over..and the verse says; A man dies once and then waits for CHRIST'S JUDGEMENT, and CHRIST does not DIE OVER AND OVER again for each person...
    No disrespect, it doesn't clarify to me an absolute regarding DEATH and GHOSTS....THE VERSE is describing an aspect and view of CHRIST DYING ONCE FOR ALL..not over and over....
    and secondly...DYING in the PHYSICAL or MORTAL STATE, is much different..I DO NOT THINK a SPIRIT DIES, but lives forever,
    CHRIST DID RAISE THE DEAD, they did die and were brought back from the DAD to live again; so with that, I guess I only know in part, GOD'S GLORIOUS PLAN over-all, from the BEGINNING of TIME, till TIME ENDS I do not have those answers to the AFTER-LIFE..and the bible is NEVER TRULY , 100% clear as to what we will be and how those laws will effect us as 100% SPIRITS...just glimmers and glimpses...

23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; h...

23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.
  • One of ... Omni 2012/03/19 15:13:33
    One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    YOU STILL NOT HAVE ANSWERED MY QUESTION..I have not declared to you whether I am a CHRISTIAN or NOT, but you continue to DEBATE and ASK ME QUESTIONS.....what made you ZERO in on me, out of all the CHRISTIANS that BOLDLY ACKNOWLEDGE their LOVE OF GOD and CHRISTS SACRIFICE...and PUBLICLY LABEL THEMSELVES as CHRISTIAN...which most are LEGALISTIC , but their are some WHO ARE REAL FOLLOWERS OF CHRISTS TEACHINGS ( still imperfect as anyone or any human, and still make huge mistakes and FAIL), but they are much more quiet..THEY WALK THE TALK and DO NOT DRAW ATTENTION TO THE NEED FOR VAIN ATTENTION..like most SO CALLED CHRISTIANS DO..

A TRUE FOLLOWER OF CHRIST, DOES DO NOT BEAT THOSE ABOUT THE HEAD or HEART to subject anyone as TARGETS OF SIN, to FORCE the bow down and subject those targets to their VERSION OF GOD.
    CHRIST KNOCKS ON EVERY DOOR, but few answer, and some that do answered and do not DO THEIR OWN HOMEWORK; You are responsible for your own relationship with GOD, not responsible for JOE SMITH'S VERSION of GOD in your life...especially when the LOG or SINS in your own life are HUGE..get straight then MAYBE, is what I have come to learn.
  • Rebecca 2012/03/07 19:28:49
    Rebecca
    I think Ghosthunting is the new tourist attraction, kind of like prospecting for gold or looking for gemstones.
  • Peon of... Rebecca 2012/03/08 23:36:58
    Peon of the Masses
    +1
    Like prospecting for gold in the Macy's Fountain, or looking for gemstones in a cracker jack box.
  • Rebecca Peon of... 2012/03/09 15:44:23
    Rebecca
    *lol
  • darlene 2012/03/07 19:25:32 (edited)
    darlene
    +3
    Somethings just can't be explained. adeles haunted house
  • BlackPo... darlene 2012/03/07 20:25:28
    BlackPoison
    +1
    i don't see anything weird in that picture
  • darlene BlackPo... 2012/03/07 21:46:54
    darlene
    Thats the house Adele bought.
  • Vive le... BlackPo... 2012/03/07 23:12:21
  • sundance darlene 2012/03/10 21:09:20
    sundance
    +1
    Unfortunately, that thinking is flawed. Everything can, with the simple application of logic, find explanation....
  • darlene sundance 2012/03/10 22:04:31
    darlene
    Are you an Athiest?
  • sundance darlene 2012/03/10 23:10:46 (edited)
    sundance
    Well first, I would have to ask what your definition of an atheist is? Then, I would inquire as to what atheism has to do with anything here? I know many (so labeled) atheists that believe in ghosts. That alone may actually invalidate your logic. I would further, does my philosophy (or yours for that matter) invalidate logic? Logic is simply an expression, that defines and expresses the truth. Logic, like truth and common sense, care not for your opinion or mine...Just a thought...
  • darlene sundance 2012/03/10 23:17:55
    darlene
    Perhaps your thinking is flawed:)
  • JP 2012/03/07 19:23:11
    JP
    +7
    white house

• darlene JP 2012/03/07 19:27:59

2014/11/27 06:54:16