PUBLIC OPINION > 60 Percent Believe in Haunted Houses

Grammy-winning songstress Adele recently moved into an enormous £7 million mansion in Sussex, a rural county south of London. She was apparently very excited to move in, but the feeling moved from cheer to fear when she started hearing strange noises. We'll be the first to admit the story might be overblown, but sources are saying she thinks the place is haunted, and hired a full-time bodyguard to keep her safe. Because, you know, in England the best way to handle a ghost is with a sturdy truncheon. In light of Adele's spooky situation, we asked the public whether they believe houses can really be "haunted."

Sorry, Adele, but the results came back positive. Your house could very well be haunted. Many respondents had their own experiences to share, some casual and some downright unsettling. But we were almost giddy when we saw the demographic breakdown. There were differences everywhere -- big ones, too. So yes, three out of five believe in haunted houses, yadda yadda. Let's get to the breakdown.

An American Haunting

Though Adele is a Londoner herself, the vast majority of international voters (i.e. non-American) do not believe in haunted houses. It's tough to say exactly which countries were prone to believe, since a lot of the international votes were scattered in small amounts, but England is definitely not.

Ghostbusters

This one might explain why Adele was a little freaked out despite her nationality. Women are significantly more likely to believe in haunted houses. Of course, it is possible some men clicked "No" just to seem brave, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Agnostics Are Believers

When atheists and Christians strongly disagree on a topic, as they did here, agnostics tend to lean toward the atheist opinion. Because this question asked for a statement of belief, we assumed it would be the case. We were dead wrong. Agnostics were actually more likely to believe in haunted houses than Christians!

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about haunted houses. We'd love to hear from you!

• JP 2012/03/07 19:23:11
    JP
    +7
    white house

This house has been haunted by more than a fair share of morons!

• hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 22:01:28
    hari
    +1
    he is mightier ..... he first eat yr wolf full and then only will come for U ....... would u allow ? like to have DRACULA child ?
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 22:54:54
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Noooooo. Werewolves are better than vampires. >:D
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/10 13:00:51
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/10 16:13:50
    ShinyUmbreon01
    lolwut? xD
  • ShyCuteArtist 2012/03/08 00:49:35
    ShyCuteArtist
    +2
    i do believe in haunted houses! I do! I do! lol i do believe in haunted houses
  • Shawn 2012/03/08 00:46:16
    Shawn
    +1
    Yes I geuss I believe houses could very well be haunted because my friend once told me that when her and her friend were in her room she would hear all the doors in the upstairs close and someone running up and down them when no one else but them two were there so my answer would be yes.
  • phil white 2012/03/08 00:31:40 (edited)
    phil white
    +1
    I'd been looking for my 6th Inf unit scroll all weekend. On the couch where I last remembered it, under the couch, under the cushions and all around the house. I must have gone over that couch 6 times that weekend. Psycologist I believe call such a pointless activity a "ritual".

Finally monday afternoon on walking passed the couch I saw it there. Exactly mid way between the ends and lined up perfectly along the edge. I said "thank you mom".
    I wanted to have it for proof of service so I could get the freeby meal for vets at Golden Corral.
    My sisters had told me a few weeks before mom died the year before that she was worried about leaving me alone. She was a very patriotic and determined woman, the most determined person I ever really got to know.
    Mom was proud of my military service.
    There were a couple of other times that year I think she may have been around but the scroll turning up that way was the clincher. Then apparently she left.
    She had also told us many times about her near death experience in a botched tonsilectomy when she was 25. Years later when I read about NDE's in magazines I knew what they were talking about as she'd always told us that.
    I've never been in a house that was haunted but I can certainly believe others have had such experiences.
  • jreppoh 2012/03/08 00:29:04
    jreppoh
    +1
    I don't believe in them.
  • Theresa 2012/03/08 00:05:31
    Theresa
    +1
    Oh yes..I do believe.. haunted house
  • sundance Theresa 2012/03/08 07:54:40
    sundance
    +2
    Might I inquire as to where you came by this pic? That is an absolutely awesome house...
  • Theresa sundance 2012/03/13 18:56:56
    Theresa
    browsing google..neat huh? can you almost fel the spirits??
  • sundance Theresa 2012/03/14 00:14:00
    sundance
    Is one incredible house. Happen to run on it again, please mail me a link. I ask because I recognize it for some reason....Thank you
  • Theresa sundance 2012/03/14 00:15:58
    Theresa
    Hmmm..
  • sundance Theresa 2012/03/14 02:32:21
    sundance
    Hmmmm? Well, that is one of the more interesting (short) responses I have received. Am actually convinced I have seen the house before ( in person), and am curious to see if that's true. I traveled extensively when I was young, so who knows? Thank you....
  • bettyboop 2012/03/07 23:09:39
    bettyboop
    I do not believe in ghost. But I know people who will swear they are real.
  • sundance bettyboop 2012/03/08 07:59:57
    sundance
    +1
    People swear that God, the boogie man and Santa Claus are real. The want to make a thing real, does not make it so. I personally believe that people want to believe in ghosts, simply by merit that it makes tangible the need, and validation, of life (of some kind) after death...Just at thought...
  • Jdogg 2012/03/07 22:19:33
    Jdogg
    +1
    It seems like every town has one in them.
  • Georgette 2012/03/07 21:38:08
  • RavenWing 2012/03/07 21:19:35
    RavenWing
    +4
    The term atheist is highly misrepresented in today's world -it seems like more of a fad for some then anything. You can be an Atheist and still believe in the possibility of apparitions ghosts and the after life -just not God. Atheistic Nihilism sounds more appropriate to me some how.
  • Loki RavenWing 2012/03/07 21:29:37
    Loki
    +1
    As Sam Harris somewhat says "the term atheist shouldn't even be in our vocabulary. Just like there is no word for someone who is not an astrologer or not an alchemist" not exact quite but you understand.
  • sundance Loki 2012/03/08 08:01:01
    sundance
    +1
    Well put...
  • KOURIOUS_KITTY12 2012/03/07 20:56:43
    KOURIOUS_KITTY12
    I Dont Believe That God Would Allow Angry or Confused Spirts In Heaven And If They Wernt Bad People Then The Devil Cnt Take Them ..So IDk It Could Be Possible But I Also Believe ..i reincarnation too so idk its all up in the air for me
  • Loki KOURIOU... 2012/03/07 21:24:41
    Loki
    Remember in Christianity all you have to do is repent truly repent before you die. Therefore you'll have a lot of murderers, mass murders, pedophiles, and a whole list of other not so good types in heaven if one existed. Whille good hearted kind people who haven't a mean bone in their entire body, don't believe in god, or jesus, or holy spirit, or any of it will go to hell to be torture for eternity. To deny that and say that if there is a god and he'll take the good people anyway means you DONT have to believe in any of it to go to heaven, only need to be a good person. Which would make the entire religion of old and new testament is completely redundant and only being morally good and non hateful towards others gets heaven. So paradox for heaven. It's either believers whether they're completely immoral or moral can go to heaven while kind moral non-believers go to hell, or the bible is can be tossed because you only need to be moral to get in. XD religions are can be easily seen to not be divinely inspired lol
  • ✞Knight... Loki 2012/03/08 15:15:40 (edited)
    ✞Knight of Honor
    "Remember in Christianity all you have to do is repent truly repent before you die."
    -Not in accordance with the Holy Bible's passages. You must live by God's Law to get into heaven, which according to Jesus very few people go to heaven.
  • Loki ✞Knight... 2012/03/08 15:54:46
    Loki
    then what's with the christian obsession with death bed conversions to getting into heaven? if that was the case then preachers wouldn't bother, but they do. mostly because they want to be able to say "see. this person did so before they died . another point for us in the imaginary friend war.."If you want to get technical and base it on which part you believe and which is "heresy" and contradict, only 144,000(12,000 from each of the tribes of Israel) are going to heaven and that's it. no one else. Jesus told his followers that the end of the world and the apocalypse was without a doubt PROMISED to happen within their lifetime *look at my watch*, wow. and...we're here he's dead(if he ever lived) 2000+ years behind schedule on apocalypse, but christians kinda push that aside and forget that part :) flat out obvious that the stories are false and the history is fabricated and imaginary.. All through history people claim gods that the end of the world is coming and they steal all the money they can from followers and suffer from a big feeling of anti-climax since the end NEVER OCCURS.

It's just childish to believe in these stories. Be moral, be kind, and stop believing in religious fairy tales because you think you deserve to feel better than everything in existence and ar...

It's just childish to believe in these stories. Be moral, be kind, and stop believing in religious fairy tales because you think you deserve to feel better than everything in existence and are special(egooo). none of us are perfect, but it's time to throw kids books out that encourage wish thinking on such a massive scale as religions do, I like the morality challenge: "Can you think of a moral statement or action that can can only be done by a person of faith and could never be said by a non-believer? you cannot. Now, can you think of an immoral statement or action that can be only be done because they were inspired by their religion to do so? you've already thought of several before you finished reading this sentence. :) pretty straight forward
  • ✞Knight... Loki 2012/03/08 18:13:25
    ✞Knight of Honor
    "then what's with the christian obsession with death bed conversions to getting into heaven?"
    -Better to try something than nothing. Why not try at that point? It's not like you have more to lose.

"Jesus told his followers that the end of the world and the apocalypse was without a doubt PROMISED to happen within their lifetime"
    -A poor translation that is commonly misinterpreted.

"Can you think of a moral statement or action that can can only be done by a person of faith and could never be said by a non-believer?"
    -History shows the difference in integrity between people with and without morals and humanitarian integrity. Obviously you won't agree, but history shows that Atheists are the ones who have no value of human life, don't have absolute morality, or engage in humanitarianism. Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Pol Pot were all Atheists without morality. Genocide and other horrific actions have been almost exclusively committed by Atheists. Christianity and other religions may not be perfect, but it's better than diluting oneself into having no morality or beliefs.
  • Loki ✞Knight... 2012/03/09 13:26:41
    Loki
    Of course I don't agree. You look all through history and the only people you even hear religious people Even ATTEMPING to use as an example of artist immorality is Stalin, Hitler, Mao, maybe a few others with bad ideas. That's it. The rest of the pages of history reek of religious mass murder, genocide, human and animal sacrifices both adult and children, war over petty differences in religious beliefs. Hitler was either still a practicing Catholic or just used his Catholiism to influence soldiers that they were fighting for God and it was righteous for. "Gott Mit Uns" was on the belt buckles made for German soldiers "God with us/God on our side". The Catholic church supported Hitler and his Nazi movement until they realized they would be taken control of and used strictly for NAZI purposes and not allowed to continue their tradition run. Stalin took advantage of the societies beliefs that the csar is leader ndchead of te church and should be considered more than human like a sub-god. He used the creduluous religious upbringing f the country for his own purposes like any religious dictator would, but since he Marxist his atheism is fallacious propaganda that religious use as the reason why he was a bad man, and he was. A non-belief in fairy tales does not imply non-belief in...
    Of course I don't agree. You look all through history and the only people you even hear religious people Even ATTEMPING to use as an example of artist immorality is Stalin, Hitler, Mao, maybe a few others with bad ideas. That's it. The rest of the pages of history reek of religious mass murder, genocide, human and animal sacrifices both adult and children, war over petty differences in religious beliefs. Hitler was either still a practicing Catholic or just used his Catholiism to influence soldiers that they were fighting for God and it was righteous for. "Gott Mit Uns" was on the belt buckles made for German soldiers "God with us/God on our side". The Catholic church supported Hitler and his Nazi movement until they realized they would be taken control of and used strictly for NAZI purposes and not allowed to continue their tradition run. Stalin took advantage of the societies beliefs that the csar is leader ndchead of te church and should be considered more than human like a sub-god. He used the creduluous religious upbringing f the country for his own purposes like any religious dictator would, but since he Marxist his atheism is fallacious propaganda that religious use as the reason why he was a bad man, and he was. A non-belief in fairy tales does not imply non-belief in morality. Saying "if you don't belief in something you'll believe in anything" is a complete lie that the religious spread because it sounds like it makes sense to them when it's a really childish insulting view of everyone you meet. I'm non-religious and and I'm secular humanist wth no belief on Gods. And it saddens me when I see the hatred and digusting actions and words spread by "the loving" Christians. Most lie about their decency. Around the world religions are still tearing societies apart. So you cannot tell me that religious people are more moral than I am. A four year old child will be more moral than any religious adult and will stay that way as long as she isn't indoctrinated to hate and think of certain people as abominations, that non-believers are going to he'll so the child can assume from teachings that they are satan worshipers and don't deserve love or humane treatmet only condemnation and threats of her god punishing every human being that crosses her path because she is righteous to be hateful, righteous to e unkind, righteous to do evil if she feels her god wants her to. Religion gets it's morality from us not the other way around. That's why we've outgrown all the evil things that were normal to people everywhere. Slavery, subjugation and treatment of women as equals not as chattle, blood sacrifice, burnt offerings, and most of the other godly endorsed evils of Christianity Judaism and other cults. I'm a better person without something that teaches such wickedness. To believe in the obsurdities of religions is in fact a sign that you'll believe anything Humanist skeptic or religious fanatic, is a no brained. Only one side teaches to treat people like they are below you or has a history of endorsing evil for religious and god ordered purposes. All you have to do is look throughout our history and even out current time we live in and see religion doing what it does best. Spread hatred,prejudice,persecution,... cleansing(genocide), obsession with power control and wealth that they'll murder for it and steal. Control people who are creduluous and cause the deaths of millions that don't realize they aren't holy they're just ego driven evil fanatics who doesn't care about them(Bishop of Rome). Religions preach because they cannot do. Like the saying those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach. And it fits religious groups so well for the most part. Christians are the most prejudice and hateful group in America and the most creduluous who want the rest of the people to live by their laws, not by means ofcliberty and justice of equality and the constitution, but by dogma. They'll make up anything to destroy the freedom of others. I'm scared they're going to start another cruisade to kill everyone not like them. It's pretty much their calling card being religious institutions.
  • MissJo 2012/03/07 20:33:42
    MissJo
    +2
    She hired a body guard? Bitch, if your house is haunted he's going to be pretty useless!
  • raimiek 2012/03/07 20:23:22
    raimiek
    I have heard things and have seen strange things, but I don't really believe. Usually when I burn sage I stop hearing things, but it's probably just all in my head. :) I love oils and incense.
  • KOURIOU... raimiek 2012/03/07 20:50:04
    KOURIOUS_KITTY12
    What does burning sage do?
  • MissJo KOURIOU... 2012/03/07 21:17:57
    MissJo
    +1
    It's cleansing, certain plants and stones have mystical properties. I'm not well versed on the subject though...
  • taylor MissJo 2012/03/08 09:08:56
    taylor
    Well u just think everything's mystical, dont u?!
  • MissJo taylor 2012/03/08 20:21:17
    MissJo
    And how have you come to this conclusion? Are you stalking me or are you just pulling assumptions out of your ass?
  • sundance KOURIOU... 2012/03/08 08:02:38
    sundance
    +1
    Makes your house smell like sage...
  • raimiek sundance 2012/03/19 18:15:45
    raimiek
    maybe so, but some aroma's can actually make a person feel at ease.
  • sundance raimiek 2012/03/19 19:55:02 (edited)
    sundance
    That is my point. Sage has a very calming effect on the senses, and is (unless too sensitive) easy on the respiratory system also. The Druids, Celts and Pagans use it to "cleanse" a house, business or dwelling, from the negative effects of others.It has, with these groups, many applications. It will also work as an antiseptic, and an insecticide. Mixed with other herbs, Sage a also a powerful herbal stringent....Just a thought...

PS. Good response to your stalker...Bravo...
  • raimiek sundance 2012/03/22 01:32:57 (edited)
    raimiek
    My bad! Sorry, I didn't understand what you were saying. I was trying to point out that it had some positive properties other than just making the home smell like sage. :) I didn't know it was an antiseptic. Thank you for posting again. :)
  • snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cl... 2012/03/07 20:16:20
    snell/GOD & COUNTRY-zero cliques
    +1
    I DEFINITELY DO believe that residual demonic spirits [in the guise of what we call 'ghosts'] are in most any old abandoned structure. There is nothing to be afraid of course because if we don't dable - we won't get burned.
  • MissJo snell/G... 2012/03/07 20:36:21
    MissJo
    +1
    If they want you in their house, at least.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2012/03/07 20:02:29

2014/11/01 03:55:41