PUBLIC OPINION > 60 Percent Believe in Haunted Houses

Grammy-winning songstress Adele recently moved into an enormous £7 million mansion in Sussex, a rural county south of London. She was apparently very excited to move in, but the feeling moved from cheer to fear when she started hearing strange noises. We'll be the first to admit the story might be overblown, but sources are saying she thinks the place is haunted, and hired a full-time bodyguard to keep her safe. Because, you know, in England the best way to handle a ghost is with a sturdy truncheon. In light of Adele's spooky situation, we asked the public whether they believe houses can really be "haunted."

Sorry, Adele, but the results came back positive. Your house could very well be haunted. Many respondents had their own experiences to share, some casual and some downright unsettling. But we were almost giddy when we saw the demographic breakdown. There were differences everywhere -- big ones, too. So yes, three out of five believe in haunted houses, yadda yadda. Let's get to the breakdown.

An American Haunting

Though Adele is a Londoner herself, the vast majority of international voters (i.e. non-American) do not believe in haunted houses. It's tough to say exactly which countries were prone to believe, since a lot of the international votes were scattered in small amounts, but England is definitely not.

Ghostbusters

This one might explain why Adele was a little freaked out despite her nationality. Women are significantly more likely to believe in haunted houses. Of course, it is possible some men clicked "No" just to seem brave, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Agnostics Are Believers

When atheists and Christians strongly disagree on a topic, as they did here, agnostics tend to lean toward the atheist opinion. Because this question asked for a statement of belief, we assumed it would be the case. We were dead wrong. Agnostics were actually more likely to believe in haunted houses than Christians!

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about haunted houses. We'd love to hear from you!

• JP 2012/03/07 19:23:11
    JP
    +7
    white house

This house has been haunted by more than a fair share of morons!

• ShinyUmbreon01 2012/03/08 03:42:10
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Because haunted houses are real...
  • mixedsingle.com❤date and ma... 2012/03/08 03:24:32
  • Juanb 2012/03/08 03:13:43
    Juanb
    +1
    Until your body is officially dust you are stuck in the 5th dimension 4 a while so human cremation is advised and physics will prove it 1day.
  • sundance Juanb 2012/03/08 07:53:00
    sundance
    Will it now? And on what premiss did you manage to entangle physics. I am pretty well versed in physics, and I think I might have missed that one. Please, do tell...Just a thought...
  • Juanb sundance 2012/03/08 14:00:19
    Juanb
    I read some physics books the ones that stood out were Michio Kakus and i also took free courses online with the khan academy http://www.khanacademy.org/ perhaps im not as well versed as you i suppose because Im only a political science major in anycase perhaps im just an amateur when it comes to that department however we must admit that humanity is still in its primitive states there's many mysteries and theories that haven't been explored. i believe their exist different planes of existence from personal experience i have been in the ''astral realm'' and i have learned that with practice i can meditate and do mantras that allow me to split my soul from my body and explore the spirit world in there you can clearly see and talk to the souls of the recently deceased deceased which got me thinking now i know what tibetan budhist monks are doing they are basically traveling together to the Buddhic plane also remember were only using 10% of our brains i believe perhaps we can meditate and condition ourselves for telepathy so we can connect with nature like the cat who knows theirs going to be an earthquake ''Astral projection'' opens your eyes to who the fakes and quacks are who mix the fake and the real and whos goals are to make money and discredit the humans mental evolution ...

I read some physics books the ones that stood out were Michio Kakus and i also took free courses online with the khan academy http://www.khanacademy.org/ perhaps im not as well versed as you i suppose because Im only a political science major in anycase perhaps im just an amateur when it comes to that department however we must admit that humanity is still in its primitive states there's many mysteries and theories that haven't been explored. i believe their exist different planes of existence from personal experience i have been in the ''astral realm'' and i have learned that with practice i can meditate and do mantras that allow me to split my soul from my body and explore the spirit world in there you can clearly see and talk to the souls of the recently deceased deceased which got me thinking now i know what tibetan budhist monks are doing they are basically traveling together to the Buddhic plane also remember were only using 10% of our brains i believe perhaps we can meditate and condition ourselves for telepathy so we can connect with nature like the cat who knows theirs going to be an earthquake ''Astral projection'' opens your eyes to who the fakes and quacks are who mix the fake and the real and whos goals are to make money and discredit the humans mental evolution with their new age nonsense as well. well thats just me thinking out loud

goals money discredit humans mental evolution age nonsense thinking loud goals money discredit humans mental evolution age nonsense thinking loud
  • sundance Juanb 2012/03/08 23:47:31
    sundance
    +1
    You do bring up some interesting points. If I read you right, you are (in one of your points) referring to events like the effects of Kurlien (type Kurlien photography into Wiki) photography on an object. Under this kind of photography, they photographed a three thousand year old leaf, recovered from an Egyptian tomb. This leaf, much like any modern multi-fingered leaf, had one finger of the leaf missing. However, when photographed using this technique, you could clearly see that the "energy" from the leaf, was in fact whole. Now do I have the answers? No. Do I have plausible explanations? Yes. Does this give evidence of life after death? Define life, and I will get back to you...Just a thought...
  • Juanb sundance 2012/03/09 15:43:50
    Juanb
    This is excellently our point 2continue to question hell yes ...human is an awesome alien we will come with the point and i believe we will become masters while the Universe will breathe in and breathe out...Do you enjoy Science series ? shows about the universe ? perhaps you can send me some ... i have various and if you say so il send you allot ...but il expect you to send me some of yours that you might have found.the universe ise profound and deep we are just worthless exlplorrers.
  • sundance Juanb 2012/03/09 19:15:36
    sundance
    +1
    I actually enjoy the show "NOVA" very much. The show cutting edge technology, combined with amazing photography. I have been watching NOVA for a long time, and I appreciate their no nonsense approach to science. You should ( if you have not already) give them a try. They also print a periodical, that has some really intense and brain challenging articles.
    By the way. Where are you from?...Just curious....
  • Juanb sundance 2012/03/10 16:16:14
    Juanb
    NewYork City . ima young man but i want to leave my stain on earth like DESCARTES
  • sundance Juanb 2012/03/10 21:03:47
    sundance
    +1
    Ah, the Big Apple. I have been many places (and I mean many), and I think New York "is" a universe of its own....Just a thought...
  • Juanb sundance 2012/03/10 16:08:53
    Juanb
    Sundance we are a magnificent race brother. were humans =)
  • sundance Juanb 2012/03/10 21:04:45
    sundance
    And one day, we might rise to our full potential....
  • Link 2012/03/08 01:35:24
    Link
    +2
    Sure I do... when I was in my mid-teens, I ran into my grandfather on the stairs of my folks house where I loved... My grandfather owned the house and sold it to my Dad... When I saw him, on the stair, he had already been dead maybe 5 years...
  • Lana 2012/03/08 01:20:50
    Lana
    My father looked into buying a home/farm that was a former plantation with slave quarters, had a Tavern along Kanawha River. So first, Idian burial grounds disrupted, Then 19th Century flack/Civil War action 1863 when West Virginia suceeded from Virginia vs. electromagnetic field=haunted house. He had a very phobic kid on his hands (ME). Needless to say, he did not buy that particular farm. Years later they sold that property and put a dirt race track on it and probably made a fortune. I'm sure my dad hates me.
  • hari 2012/03/08 01:06:19
    hari
    +1
    MINE IS HERE - ALL SH INVITED TO VISIT

sh invited visit
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/08 03:42:33
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +2
    What are you talking about? That's my house. >:o
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/08 07:36:34
    hari
    +1
    U mean ? What are mine is all yours ? OK - agreed ......... but............
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/08 21:08:28
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Mai house! >:(
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 06:23:09
    hari
    +1
    cool - yes its yours given as Valentine Gift
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:07:28
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    I see...
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:12:29
    hari
    +1
    YA ........ anything more ?????? suggest if needed
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:13:57
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Yeah, I want a ghost cat for a pet.
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:16:32
    hari
    +1
    mmmmmmm ok noted ........ wait for a moment
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:19:23
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:20:22
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:25:46
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Yeah!!
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:31:51
    hari
    +1
    preferred ????????? or still need ?
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:32:58
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    That will do better!
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:36:02
    hari
    +1
    do u need alien to date with ?
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:36:50
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Nooo thanks.
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:40:38
    hari
    +1
    kkkkkkk ........... should Dracula come on week end ?
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:41:55
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Sure thing.
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:43:35
    hari
    +1
    cool.............. what would be your plan ?????
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:44:16
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:47:10
    hari
    +1
    would u allow him to do wt he wants ? or shall say NO
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:47:37
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Hm...sure. As long as he doesn't break anything.
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:52:05
    hari
    +1
    won't break ........ shall suck .....
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:54:56
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Meh, I'll invite some people for him to eat.
  • hari ShinyUm... 2012/03/09 21:56:16
    hari
    +1
    no its personal ..... 1 to 1 ........ no invitees
  • ShinyUm... hari 2012/03/09 21:58:02
    ShinyUmbreon01
    +1
    Hm...well, if he tried...I would just shift into my wolf form and rip his throat out. :D

2014/10/31 00:07:12