PUBLIC OPINION > 15 Is Old Enough to Wax

Uni K Wax Centers in Florida and New York recently received criticism for releasing an ad that encourages "all girls 15 and younger" to wax by offering them discounted services. Critics were "disgusted" with the ad, alleging that it was "completely inappropriate" to encourage waxing at such a young age. We asked the public if it's too young to wax.

Most respondents felt that 15-year-old girls were old enough to wax. The Top Opinion put it bluntly: "Is it too old to shave? No? Then it's not too old to wax. What's with the stigma against waxing?" Critics argued that waxing shows an unhealthy concern with body image. Many suggested young girls would be better off spending their time having fun or doing their homework. But technically, doesn't waxing cut down on time spent shaving?

Men Mind the Age

Since many female voters have been faced with the decision themselves, they were quite a bit more sympathetic to young girls who want to try waxing. However, men were nearly split. Reading through the comments, it did seem that some male voters were under the impression that "waxing" is synonymous with "bikini wax," which may have affected the vote somewhat.

Teens Want to Have the Option

Naturally, the age group in question was perfectly fine with allowing themselves to wax. That doesn't necessarily mean they want to wax, just that 15 is old enough to make their own decision. Of course, most teens aren't parents, so they probably don't have the same perspective, but that doesn't make their opinion any less valuable.

Parents Play It Safe

As we suggested above, part of the reason older voters are more reluctant to let 15-year-old girls wax is because many of them are parents. When you're a parent, you're more concerned about the implications of seemingly innocuous things, like waxing or wearing makeup. It's not that waxing is particularly "inappropriate" as it is prematurely superficial.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about teen waxing. We'd love to hear from you!

• YeahISa... Jules 2012/07/11 18:04:56
    YeahISaidIt
    +2
    Thank you! I hit puberty early so I felt embarrassed by having as much leg hair as I did. Not because I wanted to seduce some guys, but because I didn't like looking down and seeing the legs of Big Foot's baby.
  • Jules YeahISa... 2012/07/11 20:04:51
    Jules
    +1
    LOL me too! I started growing leg hair at like 11 or 12, so I had to start shaving early and eventually I progressed to waxing. And I did it because A) I really liked the way it made my legs feel once the hair was gone and B) everyone else still had smooth, hair-free legs and made fun of me for having the amount of leg hair equivalent to a woman's leg. I didn't even consider doing it for guys, because sex wasn't even an option back then let alone a priority!
  • YeahISa... Jules 2012/07/11 21:52:15
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    I know. And not every girl is a sex crazed slut nowadays. I didn't even know how sex worked for the longest. Actually it's common knowledge that women dress and groom themselves more for women than men. We wanted hairless legs like our peers. And it's hard on a girl at 15 who's seeing ads with women half naked all the time with no hair on their legs. Nobody wants to be THAT person.
  • Jules YeahISa... 2012/07/12 00:55:50
    Jules
    +2
    Exactly, it's honestly more about self esteem and feeling good about yourself than wanting to jump the bones of some guy. And that's the way I was too, for the longest time I had NO IDEA what the hell sex really was, and yet I started shaving when I was 12. So, it wasn't for sex, quite the opposite, it was for me.
  • YeahISa... Jules 2012/07/12 02:14:01
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    What the focus should be on is how their self esteem is affected. If they don't want them waxing or shaving perhaps they should be talked to about these things. Then again no one seems to know what to say anymore. Maybe speaking to girls in groups would help so everyone in the room would know at the same time.
  • Jules YeahISa... 2012/07/12 17:58:13
    Jules
    Yea, I find that group counseling with people who suffer the same or similar problems as you is a lot better and makes a greater impact than a one-on-one conversation with someone who experienced it in the past. Because, let's face it, women who are older don't want to have to deal or think about the first time they learned to shave, wax, do their hair or makeup all over again, and that's why it's so hard to talk to them. So it would definitely be easier to talk to a group of people, or maybe an older cousin who is at least still a teenager for help.
  • Brian M Jules 2012/07/12 04:19:11
    Brian M
    Do you know what instinct is? It doesn't operate at a conscious level. But it is a sexually driven thing. Even if, as the person above said, you do it "for women", it's because you are establishing a hierarchy to see who gets first pick of the males. Again, you aren't aware of this as its happening because you're inside the matrix.
  • Jules Brian M 2012/07/12 18:00:08
    Jules
    But that's like saying an 11 year old is unconsciously thinking about sex. and you do realize that an 11 year old is just out of 5th grade, so she secretly wants to go and look good for a little boy who hasn't even hit puberty yet? Women hit puberty early, before men, so the girls who hit puberty in their first year of middle school don't exactly want to look good for the boys that still look like they should be having story-time in the middle of class.
  • Kae Kam Brian M 2012/07/12 22:32:59
    Kae Kam
    So, when I was 8 years old and began puberty, I shaved my armpits because I was looking for a dude? Nice try, buddy.
  • RoseyRhod YeahISa... 2012/07/12 14:37:12
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    I started shaving when I was 12 because my classmates were calling me "gorilla legs." I also hit puberty early. I was embarrassed at having breasts when I was 9. I wore baggy shirts to hide them.
  • YeahISa... RoseyRhod 2012/07/12 19:28:25
    YeahISaidIt
    +1
    I'm sorry :( kids can be cruel. I got made fun of for having larger breasts and I felt awkward wearing bras at 6. They were a pain and I felt like everyone knew :(
  • sherie Jules 2012/07/11 23:09:41
    sherie
    Rethinking..... your argument is valid.
  • Jules sherie 2012/07/12 00:56:06
    Jules
    I'm guessing you were on the opposing side??
  • john.keenan.792 2012/07/11 10:47:39
    john.keenan.792
    +1
    i don't think its that bad a thing if the girl wants to have it then let her mean its not like a law is being broken, i have always been pretty much a hairy dude from the age of 12 so i get a lot of back and upeer arm hair so i get waxed every 4 weeks, so if it make me feel more confident then i must imagine it'll be a thousand times worse for a female, so do think its o.k
  • OnyxRaven 2012/07/11 10:24:00
    OnyxRaven
    +1
    Well I started at 11, I think that's when girls start to care about that kind of thing, but in the end it's only waxing. It's removing hair from their legs - nothing more, nothing less. If they don't want that hair on THEIR body, then they have every right to get rid of it.
  • Gene_In_Kabul 2012/07/11 09:13:27
    Gene_In_Kabul
    +2
    It's none of my business, especially on someone that age. However, if they're determined to do it, the pain will be less the younger they start...hair tends to thicken with age. It's not like waxing turns them into whores. It WOULD allow them to feel a bit more grown up, and if the parent has done their work properly, that's as far as it would go.
  • Fariborz-Zak 2012/07/11 08:14:38
    Fariborz-Zak
    agree
  • Lyana 2012/07/11 08:05:28
    Lyana
    +2
    How is it any different from a girl using a razor?? Hell, I'd think with the adults paranoia on a suicide epidemic, they'd feel more at ease their daughters carrying on with hot wax than a sharp razor blade. XD lol (Sorry if any would consider that a bad joke, wasn't trying to offend. Please see the humor)
  • pete.arballo 2012/07/11 07:53:32
    pete.arballo
    she is paying for it, not me or her mom
  • Timbini 2012/07/11 06:52:32
    Timbini
    +7
    Have to agree: if you're old enough to shave, you're old enough to wax.
  • Alex tuck 2012/07/11 06:50:24
    Alex tuck
    +1
    I'm not a parent yet soo happy i dont have to deal with this whole awkward question :P
  • selena costa 2012/07/11 05:46:00
    selena costa
    yea.........
  • Meggies1104 2012/07/11 05:42:21
    Meggies1104
    WAX WEAR?!
  • DianaXo... Meggies... 2012/07/11 07:50:28
    DianaXoGirl
    +1
    Well probably facial hair, leg, under arms, or maybe bikini wax but i don't think most parents would let their kids do bikini
  • Meggies... DianaXo... 2012/07/12 01:58:04
    Meggies1104
    +2
    ....okay i get all the waxing before bikini wax..that sounds painful.. But why not let kids get the other stuff waxed? by then there probably shaving
  • addie 2012/07/11 04:09:35
    addie
    +2
    If they want it they may as well.
    Preventing them wont teach them to not be so shallow. I mean if a 15 year old does not have better things to think about...
  • Lil 2012/07/11 03:52:17
    Lil
    +2
    Yes it is, I first got my legs waxed a little bit before my twelfth birthday.
  • shadow76 2012/07/11 03:39:56
  • JDreDaCookieMonster 2012/07/11 02:51:44
    JDreDaCookieMonster
    +4
    Why not, some girls need it
  • KittyKat 2012/07/11 02:29:12
  • ☠ Live ... KittyKat 2012/07/13 19:01:10
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    Man 'O' Lantern!!! :3
  • chantel.pettway 2012/07/11 02:26:15
    chantel.pettway
    +4
    i think that if they/we want a wax they/we should get one i mean if mature enough and some girls are.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/07/11 01:53:55
    Bibliophilic
    +3
    When are boys old enough to wax?
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/11 01:45:30
  • Emelya 2012/07/11 01:35:06
    Emelya
    +1
    I started waxing when I was 12
  • Sybil 2012/07/11 01:23:14 (edited)
    Sybil
    +6
    Listen, when my mother taught me to shave my hairy european legs at age 12 it was the best thing ever for my self esteem! Waxing wasn't the thing back then but if thats what my daughter wanted I would sure as hell do it. If hairy legs (and arms) make her feel too embarassed to wear shorts I would do whatever I could to help. I feel much better about a wax once every few weeks than her weilding a razor every few days!
  • Tiah Sybil 2012/07/11 05:33:43
    Tiah
    +2
    Nicely said!
  • Sybil Tiah 2012/07/11 13:14:08
    Sybil
    +1
    Thank you :-)
  • Melda Valdez 2012/07/11 01:15:23
    Melda Valdez
    yes! if u wax too much, your skin loses firmness over time, i prefer shving, or hair removal creams. i do plan for laser removal once i save enough..
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/07/11 01:14:24
    SOUL4REAL
    I believe it's to young, now if she is 18, that would be more of a appropriate age. 15 and younger is to young for waxing!

2014/11/26 23:16:42