PUBLIC OPINION > 14-Year-Old Models Are Acceptable

It's one thing to use child models in Target catalogs to advertise children's clothes, but when designers start enlisting children to hit the high-fashion catwalk, it takes a different tone. Louis Vuitton designer Marc Jacobs is receiving criticism for employing two underage models (reportedly 14 or 15 years old) to show off some of his designs at New York Fashion Week -- even though the event specifically asked designers not to use any models under 16. Jacobs didn't seem too concerned with the breach, as the outfits were not revealing or overtly sexual, but officials expressed concern. We want to know if the public had a problem with the use of 14-year-old models.

Marc Jacobs Uses 14-Year-Old Models: OK or No Way?

58% Are OK With It

There was certainly some disagreement on the issue, but Jacobs came out with more support than criticism. The deciding factor seemed to be the outfits that were used. Not only were the girls covered, they were practically cocooned. On of the outfits looked like a chrysalis costume, while others included heavy winter coats. The Top Opinion read, "That girl is showing less skin than 14-year-olds walking the everyday streets. Please Marc Jacobs, continue dressing these girls." However, critics were concerned about how this move might progress in the wrong direction. One commenter warned, "Right now they are covered up but give it a few years and they will be in some skimpy gear."

Women Aren't as Worried

Interestingly, men seem to be more concerned about the negative implications of teen models than women are. Female voters were 11% more likely than men to be OK with Jacobs' use of underage models. It could be that men are more worried about how it might be received by certain members of their sex.

Conservatives Are Concerned

It should come as no surprise that conservatives took a more conservative stance on this, but we were more interested in the difference between the conservative vote and the libertarian vote. Technically, they're both right-leaning ideologies, but libertarians were the strongest supporters -- even more so than liberals. They were 42% more likely to approve of the idea than conservative respondents.

Parents Want No Part of It

Finally, parents demonstrated a good deal of concern. They were 22% more likely than voters without kids to oppose the use of teen models, and the reason should be pretty obvious. When you have teen girls of your own, or even a child who will someday be a teen, the idea of putting her up on display at a fashion show must lose its appeal.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about underage models. We'd love to hear from you!

• Rachel Silent Bob 2012/03/10 02:21:18
    Rachel
    You skipped 2.
  • Gangstersteve1993 2012/02/20 02:22:13
    Gangstersteve1993
    +2
    No because im not a pedo
  • The_Cat 2012/02/20 02:06:12
    The_Cat
    +2
    These "underage models" will grow up to be total drug-addict trash.
  • Todd's ... The_Cat 2012/02/20 15:37:34
    Todd's Love
    +2
    yes.... you read my mind!!
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/02/20 01:23:49
  • Resp Rukasak... 2012/02/20 06:03:22
    Resp
    Child modeling is like soft kiddie porn. NO.
  • Terry 2012/02/20 00:22:41 (edited)
    Terry
    Ok, I have a friend ex-model (she quited at 18) and she is fine. Really nice person, very sane and happy.
    'evil lough' love teen underwear ads

look at this teen edvertising pedobear hat for instance lough love teen underwear ads teen edvertising pedobear hat instance
  • Todd's ... Terry 2012/02/20 15:39:51
    Todd's Love
    just cause someone looks "sane and happy" doesn't mean they are. How many times have murderers been described as "wow, I didn't expect that from him, he was usually very calm, happy... very nice guy." XD

Also, why are YOU advertising pedobear on your avatar?? Isn't that a bad thing, as you said?
  • Terry Todd's ... 2012/02/21 00:52:20
    Terry
    No, that's just humorous and fun (the avatar). But u r right at 14 years old this same girl had cancer, but she got cured and went on modeling. I think that early experiences of death do things to people, but I bet she won't try to commit suicide ever in her life, because she knows the real value of existence. I guess that s why she is so sane. Btw, there is an exhibition at MoMA about how hard these models become models and some bad stuff that happened to them.

------

Returning to my avatar.. 'evil lough' yes YES I am an EVIL LORD of darknez i am advertising all the evil stuff to provoke fear and disgust, to unleash forces of hell from the very soul of every human, so they get consumed and destroyed bringing the end of the world, so that only those who accept the dark side (pedophiles, shemales, zoophiles, nocrophiles, serial killers, torturers and etc.) stay alive and rule the new EVIL world of decay and suffering. now, go btk someone.

Warning: the above paragraph is written for the sole reason of author's fun. If you are a ladyboy or serial killer, I didn't mean to offend you.
  • Todd's ... Terry 2012/02/21 00:59:01
    Todd's Love
    +1
    Shemales are evil? How? :O

Looks like you're seeking NEGATIVE and DESTRUCTIVE attentionz... hmmmzzz i deflect your existence and substitute MY OWN HOLY FORCE!!!!

RAWR

raptor jesus
  • Terry Todd's ... 2012/02/21 16:00:02
    Terry
    +1
    nah, nobody s good or evil. usually people get embarrassed by stuff like that. especially some moral people. For them, gays are unnatural and god didn't create them and so an so on. So the fun is that if such a person gonna read the post and get embarrassed or angry - it worked. It's called trolling.
  • Todd's ... Terry 2012/02/21 17:15:03
    Todd's Love
    +2
    Yeah, it makes me sad that people are so sensitive, yet they can be equally offensive and not be sensitive to THAT.

Like my gf, she's "highly moral" but it's not the "Christian moral," it's the human moral (the one that applies to ALL life) she's "pagan" so she doesn't follow the Abrahamic mythology yet the followers of Abraham have NO problem laughing at her & belittling her sacred mythology but when you remind them that their mythology is just that as well... they get SO offended, like you killed someone!! LOL

So normally, I don't like trolls but bc of those kinds of people, i think we need them XD

toughen them up a bit. lol
    troll
  • Terry Todd's ... 2012/03/03 03:18:51
    Terry
    Very good point. After taking Tribal Religions course I understood that all of the religions are tribal. your gf is pagan - its good. I think that polytheism is more helpful and fits human nature better, than usurpation of the monotheism with its "One Ring To Rule Them All".

I always laugh now how tribal and barbarian it is to believe that for instance Eve was made from Adams rib, which is as tribal as Karora breeding from his the armpits.
  • Doreen 2012/02/20 00:20:25
    Doreen
    +2
    Right after they win for being sexy and provocative looking on Toddlers and tiaras they can continue being that way because the only thing that will ever count is their looks and making men ( predator or not ) want them.
  • Walks_on_Clouds 2012/02/19 23:09:42
    Walks_on_Clouds
    +4
    I think it just is as sick as the whole modeling business, Hollywood exploitation, start em' young, skinny em' up, dress em' slutty and throw em' away used up in their 20's.

Meanwhile, the American public is fed the lie and teenaged girls are left to deal with the insecurities and health hazards.
  • Aingean 2012/02/19 23:08:04
    Aingean
    Hey they are more covered then the toddlers on toddlers and tiaras. I don't mind them molding as long as they dont look like little bimbos. But then that is just how i feel about it.
  • Dickens 2012/02/19 21:51:20
    Dickens
    +2
    ...only if they're very closely monitored; they are, after all, the ultimate pervert bait (my same objections apply to "Toddlers and Tiaras"...CO has a sad connection to this lifestyle with that Jon Benet girl..)
  • cageaikenz 2012/02/19 21:34:56
    cageaikenz
    Nah , nothing really negative
  • Griegg 2012/02/19 20:33:21
    Griegg
    It's definitely what they are wearing that is significant to me. Mark Jacobs made an excellent choice of who to model those outfits. Had the models been scantily clad, that would have been inappropriate.
  • gabitron 2012/02/19 20:23:49
    gabitron
    These clothes are like... really hideous. So I don't think it really matters.
  • Rich Luna 2012/02/19 20:09:53
    Rich Luna
    The teen fashion scene. Gotta start some time.
  • alex 2012/02/19 19:26:45
    alex
    Yeah..if they used to be pageant kids, they'll already be used to the exploitation of fake beauty and unrealistic standards of how a person should look if they ever want to be loved. Yeah that's just TOTALLY acceptable x.x.
  • Jayfeather 2012/02/19 18:15:34
    Jayfeather
    So our society continues to fall down the toilet. It's too young people! Let them be children for once!
  • Maci 2012/02/19 16:33:26
  • Gasbagmike 2012/02/19 16:09:23
    Gasbagmike
    There isnt anything wrong with it
    wrong
  • Maci Gasbagmike 2012/02/19 16:37:55
  • TheLigh... Gasbagmike 2012/02/19 19:11:07
    TheLightBehindYourEyes
    +1
    I hope that you are being sarcastic...
  • Resp Gasbagmike 2012/02/20 06:03:50
    Resp
    +1
    Is she modeling for pedophiles?
  • jere.ch... Gasbagmike 2012/02/20 16:55:31
    jere.chievres
    That is sicko.
  • TasselLady 2012/02/19 14:39:55
    TasselLady
    +2
    I just worry about the fact that these models are required to look like bean poles. And that's far from being healthy. If they start this now, just what is going to happen to them when they're in their 20's? I guess nobody thought about THAT part of it.
    too skinny models
  • TheLigh... TasselLady 2012/02/19 19:13:29
    TheLightBehindYourEyes
    +2
    This is sending the wrong message to children!
  • TasselLady TheLigh... 2012/02/19 19:14:14
    TasselLady
    +1
    Yes it is. Welcome to America, where looks are EVERYTHING.
  • TheLigh... TasselLady 2012/02/19 19:36:10
    TheLightBehindYourEyes
    +1
    I agree that a lot of emphasis is put on looks due to the media and things of that sort. But at the same time, I think that parents can play a positive role by teaching them that there is so much more to life than looks.
  • TasselLady TheLigh... 2012/02/19 19:46:57
    TasselLady
    +2
    This is true. In the grand scheme of things looks really don't amount to much. I know alot of very good looking people who are rotten to the core inside. So much for the outside being good. If the inside doesn't match it then it means absolutely nothing. Look what happened to Snow White? She took a beautiful red apple looking great on the outside, while the inside was full of poison and it killed her (only in stories could that be temporary)!!!!
    SnowWhite getting a red apple
  • TheLigh... TasselLady 2012/02/19 19:49:58
    TheLightBehindYourEyes
    +1
    Yes, looks can be deceiving.
  • TasselLady TheLigh... 2012/02/19 19:52:43
    TasselLady
    +2
    You got that right.
    looks are deceiving
  • TheLigh... TasselLady 2012/02/19 19:55:31
    TheLightBehindYourEyes
    +1
    Ok I need to admit that picture is kinda funny. But its going to be disappointing when she goes to meet Ken and he does not get what he expects
  • TasselLady TheLigh... 2012/02/19 19:59:07 (edited)
    TasselLady
    +2
    Just imagine if Ken ended up with THIS Barbie:
    serial killer Barbie

Just when you thought it was safe to buy a Barbie.
  • Resp TasselLady 2012/02/20 06:04:53
    Resp
    +2
    She is so happy! Serial killer Barbie bitch.
  • TasselLady Resp 2012/02/20 22:10:21

2014/09/02 09:12:15