PUBLIC OPINION > 14-Year-Old Models Are Acceptable

It's one thing to use child models in Target catalogs to advertise children's clothes, but when designers start enlisting children to hit the high-fashion catwalk, it takes a different tone. Louis Vuitton designer Marc Jacobs is receiving criticism for employing two underage models (reportedly 14 or 15 years old) to show off some of his designs at New York Fashion Week -- even though the event specifically asked designers not to use any models under 16. Jacobs didn't seem too concerned with the breach, as the outfits were not revealing or overtly sexual, but officials expressed concern. We want to know if the public had a problem with the use of 14-year-old models.

Marc Jacobs Uses 14-Year-Old Models: OK or No Way?

58% Are OK With It

There was certainly some disagreement on the issue, but Jacobs came out with more support than criticism. The deciding factor seemed to be the outfits that were used. Not only were the girls covered, they were practically cocooned. On of the outfits looked like a chrysalis costume, while others included heavy winter coats. The Top Opinion read, "That girl is showing less skin than 14-year-olds walking the everyday streets. Please Marc Jacobs, continue dressing these girls." However, critics were concerned about how this move might progress in the wrong direction. One commenter warned, "Right now they are covered up but give it a few years and they will be in some skimpy gear."

Women Aren't as Worried

Interestingly, men seem to be more concerned about the negative implications of teen models than women are. Female voters were 11% more likely than men to be OK with Jacobs' use of underage models. It could be that men are more worried about how it might be received by certain members of their sex.

Conservatives Are Concerned

It should come as no surprise that conservatives took a more conservative stance on this, but we were more interested in the difference between the conservative vote and the libertarian vote. Technically, they're both right-leaning ideologies, but libertarians were the strongest supporters -- even more so than liberals. They were 42% more likely to approve of the idea than conservative respondents.

Parents Want No Part of It

Finally, parents demonstrated a good deal of concern. They were 22% more likely than voters without kids to oppose the use of teen models, and the reason should be pretty obvious. When you have teen girls of your own, or even a child who will someday be a teen, the idea of putting her up on display at a fashion show must lose its appeal.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about underage models. We'd love to hear from you!

• Michael 2012/02/18 00:21:14
    Michael
    +2
    Of course let them. What else can a kid that age do to earn real serious money if they can't do programming? It's not like they need boobs or anything; most catwalk models have the bodies of young boys anyway.
  • Jess 2012/02/17 23:50:22
    Jess
    +1
    If they're marketing it to 14 year olds, fine. But 14 year olds who usually have the bodies of 12 year old boys marketing clothes for women.. is ridiculous.
  • Judog10 2012/02/17 23:03:46
    Judog10
    No.
  • RobHom 2012/02/17 22:42:19 (edited)
    RobHom
    +1
    I think its a bit beyond the pale to have a 14 year old child modeling adult clothing.

But I have a feeling that there is the possibility that the clown that used them probably used them as "cheap labor"....

The outfits they are wearing in the pictures...are not in the least revealing....but they look like crap. Anyone that buys garbage like that is breathing proof of too much money and no brains or taste!
  • ima_squ... RobHom 2012/02/17 22:48:22
    ima_squirrel
    +4
    The outfits are a form of art, not so people will buy them. Even though celebrities do, that's not what modeling is intended to do
  • RobHom ima_squ... 2012/02/17 22:52:31
    RobHom
    I don't think so. The objective is to entice buyers into buying clothing lines for their stores.... The models are supposed to make the clothes look good...even if the clothes are ugly. If a model is good enough looking...they will hardly notice the clothes.
  • Nicole bna RobHom 2012/02/18 01:14:50
    Nicole bna
    +4
    Actually, the clothing is about art. Yes., designers want to sell clothes but they also create designs meant to be art and not actually worn. Fashion is a big world.
  • Aly Hart Nicole bna 2012/02/18 01:33:33
    Aly Hart
    +3
    ;_; Finally, another person who understands.
  • RobHom Aly Hart 2012/02/18 01:41:54
    RobHom
    +1
    I do actually understand that...and I do realize that they do make designer originals that are made specifically for one person, and they could be very much works of art.... I guess I just had a real time with someone dressing up a 14 yr old in adult clothes...it runs against the grain quite a bit,,,,,
  • RobHom Nicole bna 2012/02/18 01:41:43
    RobHom
  • Pokémon RobHom 2012/02/18 21:49:12
    Pokémon
    +1
    It's me but I lost my password so I made a new account, and dude it's art I'm in the modeling buissness
  • RobHom Pokémon 2012/02/18 23:54:07 (edited)
    RobHom
    +2
    Some of it may well be...but where do you draw the line age wise? Do you think its proper to pose 10 year olds in sexually provocative poses showing just enough skin to titillate the perverts? Or are designers acting deluding themselves that they have to "shock the masses" in order to get noticed??

Pedophiles claim that pictures of nude children are "art".... Sorry, but there is a difference between prurient art and real art....

Is this "real art" or "prurient art"?

art difference prurient art real art real art prurient art

But hey...the "fashionistas" seem to think its ok.....

http://jezebel.com/5827092/fa...

Its sick, and its perverted...
  • the_old... RobHom 2012/02/19 17:26:34 (edited)
  • cccp~marxist-leninst 2012/02/17 22:30:13
    cccp~marxist-leninst
    +3
    When a girl turns 14 she's sexually mature enough to be a model.
  • rudeboy cccp~ma... 2012/02/17 22:36:49
    rudeboy
    +5
    Is this you?
    pedo bear
  • cccp~ma... rudeboy 2012/02/17 22:41:15
  • ktyxes cccp~ma... 2012/02/17 22:54:00
    ktyxes
    +2
    If we leave sexuality out of it , it will be fine. One has nothingto do with the other
  • cccp~ma... ktyxes 2012/02/17 22:55:52
    cccp~marxist-leninst
    +4
    14 year old girls are mature enough to be models.
  • RobHom cccp~ma... 2012/02/17 22:56:18
    RobHom
    +3
    Ummmm...you likee little girlies?

14 year old girls are not "sexually mature" enough to be a model, nor are they mentally mature enough to function in an adult society....

Next thing you know it will be 6 year old girls modeling adult clothes....
  • cccp~ma... RobHom 2012/02/17 22:59:33
    cccp~marxist-leninst
    +2
    6 year old are not attractive
  • RobHom cccp~ma... 2012/02/17 23:00:47
    RobHom
    Ahhhh, so you like little teenage girlies!!
  • cccp~ma... RobHom 2012/02/17 23:02:19
    cccp~marxist-leninst
    +3
    To an extent, but don't we all? They can be models.
  • RobHom cccp~ma... 2012/02/17 23:05:54
    RobHom
    +3
    Speaking as a grandfather..... I can tell you this..... its rather inappropriate to view girls that age, younger or even a little older as sex objects....

I could be a model....but that is meaningless other than to prove anyone can be a model.....

But for young girls, and that is what they are....to be modeling adult clothing is not right.
  • Jess RobHom 2012/02/18 01:50:04
    Jess
    +2
    I agree, but on the other hand, it's disturbing how slutty 14 year olds are today. But if they're going to advertise slut clothes for 14 year olds then that's what they should be wearing. Not clothes meant for older women. 14 year olds should only be modeling clothes other 14 year olds would wear. Anything else just doesn't make sense.
  • RobHom Jess 2012/02/18 02:07:45
    RobHom
    +1
    On the 14 year olds...and even some younger as well as older... dress like streetwalkers...and think its "cute"....

I'm surprised that more parents haven't rebelled against the fashion industry....and what is even more surprising is that the parents let them wear the clothes..... Jeez....do I sound like a fuddy-duddy.....

Seems kids aren't allowed to be kids for long....nowadays.
  • TheLigh... RobHom 2012/02/19 19:25:02
    TheLightBehindYourEyes
    I agree with the last part you said, especially when it seems that children are growing up so fast these days.
  • Jess cccp~ma... 2012/02/17 23:51:42
    Jess
    +5
    Not really. a 14 year old looks quite different than a 17 year old. How do you advertise clothes when your boobs aren't even full grown yet?
  • cccp~ma... Jess 2012/02/18 03:46:22
    cccp~marxist-leninst
    I knew 14 year old girls with fully developed breasts. All the models would have full boobs
  • Christi... Jess 2012/02/18 07:24:19
    Christine Leo
    +1
    My boobs were the same at 17 that they were at 14. When I was 14 everyone thought I was 19 and so at times I found my self in situations that I did not understand. I was still in love with pop idols and could never have imagined what men were thinking when they stared at me when I walked in the room, or why a couple of times men in their 30's excused themselves to the bathroom when I looked back at them.
  • kaitlin 2012/02/17 22:29:37
    kaitlin
    +2
    To be honest if it's not sexual I think it's fine
  • wallygator64 2012/02/17 22:29:18
    wallygator64
    +1
    My daughter is in beauty pageants in Florida.....has been since she was 10.Shes now 15.I am ok with it.Her mom keeps a tight leash on her.I have not heard her say she wants to try 'modeling'yet.But I trust her so if she does go that route,then more power to her.As far as 14 yr old girls modeling for vogue,cosmo NO WAY.
  • the_old_coach 2012/02/17 22:23:31
    the_old_coach
    +4
    My only real complaint on this is that they are modeling WOMEN's fashions. Therefore, they are being perceived as "women," by all who observe. That includes men and women in the industry as well as clients. Behind the scenes, certain lines will be crossed as being "just part of the industry," and this can include passing nudity in the change area and possible "romances" as is common for this field.

I think it's a bad move. She is a little girl: not a sex-object.

sexy 14 year old model
  • Delilah the_old... 2012/02/17 23:34:01
    Delilah
    +4
    I strongly agree with you, well said! … Its absolutely disgusting to me!
  • Aly Hart the_old... 2012/02/18 01:35:38
    Aly Hart
    +2
    Isn't the girl in that picture, like 10? ._.
  • RobHom Aly Hart 2012/02/18 02:00:02
    RobHom
    +2
    Telling age is sometimes difficult.... it seems that a good makeup artist can age up a little girl to look much older than she is....and it can be done subtly.... and they can age a girl down as well.... She could be as old as 15 or 16...but if they "work" the "waif" look...you end up with a teenager looking like a pre-teen...
  • Aly Hart RobHom 2012/02/18 02:35:55
    Aly Hart
    +4
    No really ,she's 10. http://fashionista.com/2011/0... There was a big controversy about her posing in magazines. Anyway, it's disturbing that she's being sexualized like that.
  • the_old... Aly Hart 2012/02/18 05:40:08
    the_old_coach
    +3
    What are they really trying try to sell right here? This is just wrong.

sell wrong
  • RobHom the_old... 2012/02/18 16:16:55
    RobHom
    +3
    That is sick....just sick!
  • RobHom Aly Hart 2012/02/18 16:16:31
    RobHom
    +4
    Wow....and you're right!! It is very disturbing....a 10 yr old being made into "eye-candy" for pedophiles and perverts!! Its disgusting....
  • Aly Hart RobHom 2012/02/18 18:22:57
    Aly Hart
    +2
    It's sad, she probably just thinks of it as playing dress-up or imitating her mom.

2014/12/22 20:00:41