PUBLIC OPINION > 14-Year-Old Models Are Acceptable

It's one thing to use child models in Target catalogs to advertise children's clothes, but when designers start enlisting children to hit the high-fashion catwalk, it takes a different tone. Louis Vuitton designer Marc Jacobs is receiving criticism for employing two underage models (reportedly 14 or 15 years old) to show off some of his designs at New York Fashion Week -- even though the event specifically asked designers not to use any models under 16. Jacobs didn't seem too concerned with the breach, as the outfits were not revealing or overtly sexual, but officials expressed concern. We want to know if the public had a problem with the use of 14-year-old models.

Marc Jacobs Uses 14-Year-Old Models: OK or No Way?

58% Are OK With It

There was certainly some disagreement on the issue, but Jacobs came out with more support than criticism. The deciding factor seemed to be the outfits that were used. Not only were the girls covered, they were practically cocooned. On of the outfits looked like a chrysalis costume, while others included heavy winter coats. The Top Opinion read, "That girl is showing less skin than 14-year-olds walking the everyday streets. Please Marc Jacobs, continue dressing these girls." However, critics were concerned about how this move might progress in the wrong direction. One commenter warned, "Right now they are covered up but give it a few years and they will be in some skimpy gear."

Women Aren't as Worried

Interestingly, men seem to be more concerned about the negative implications of teen models than women are. Female voters were 11% more likely than men to be OK with Jacobs' use of underage models. It could be that men are more worried about how it might be received by certain members of their sex.

Conservatives Are Concerned

It should come as no surprise that conservatives took a more conservative stance on this, but we were more interested in the difference between the conservative vote and the libertarian vote. Technically, they're both right-leaning ideologies, but libertarians were the strongest supporters -- even more so than liberals. They were 42% more likely to approve of the idea than conservative respondents.

Parents Want No Part of It

Finally, parents demonstrated a good deal of concern. They were 22% more likely than voters without kids to oppose the use of teen models, and the reason should be pretty obvious. When you have teen girls of your own, or even a child who will someday be a teen, the idea of putting her up on display at a fashion show must lose its appeal.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about underage models. We'd love to hear from you!

• Todd's ... TasselLady 2012/02/20 15:43:58
    Todd's Love
    +2
    I like how u brought the subject bakc to the point : looks can be deceiving LAWL
  • TasselLady Todd's ... 2012/02/20 22:12:05
    TasselLady
    Ha Ha! You got that right!!!
  • Resp TasselLady 2012/02/20 06:04:14
    Resp
    +2
    Is that a spokesperson for a disease?
  • TasselLady Resp 2012/02/20 22:11:18
    TasselLady
    Yep! "Psycho Disease".
    psychos
  • jere.ch... TasselLady 2012/02/20 16:56:27
    jere.chievres
    +1
    Truely disgusting!
  • TasselLady jere.ch... 2012/02/20 22:11:31
    TasselLady
    +1
    I never said I was sane! Ha Ha!!!
  • jere.ch... TasselLady 2012/02/20 22:14:47
    jere.chievres
    +1
    you got me there! I meant that to be a reply to someone else, the effen page jumped on me! Sorry!
  • TasselLady jere.ch... 2012/02/20 22:16:17
    TasselLady
    +1
    That's ok! No harm done! I'm just glad I'm not Ken! I would be in pieces by now!!! Who knew Barbie had a double life???
  • Mark Mercer 2012/02/19 14:13:24
    Mark Mercer
    +1
    If you have any "skill" or "art" use models the age and size you are selling to. Designing for folks that don't generally have the money, or "should" be sexually active (in that manner) sends a poor message.
  • vannuck 2012/02/19 09:16:04
    vannuck
    +2
    a lot of this has been going on for years....you can ask "where are her parents/" but the reolistic replay is "Their down at the bank Cashing the check"
  • H H 2012/02/19 07:33:46
    H H
    +1
    Except for modeling being stressful hard work with risk of psychological problems that may be too much for someone who might be immature, I don't object to 14 year olds being models. What has come to be regarded as "underage" is just an arbitrary number. I don't accept the arguments about what a 14 year old "should be doing," either. It's not right to put such socialist and arbitrary limitations on someone like that. How would you like it if you were told what you "should be doing?"
  • Loki 2012/02/19 05:55:20
    Loki
    +5
    No way. They should be in school, worrying about grades, having decent fun, and eating actual FOOD. I think it's even more disgusting how parents force their kids into children's beauty pageants with make up and the whole works when they're just BABIES for 'verse's sake! Child beauty pageants should be banned.
  • Robbb 2012/02/19 05:12:49
    Robbb
    +2
    So what else is new? Once they only got the youngest looking ones now competition is forcing them to make them really young to appeal to the sexual appetite of the norm. It is not spoken of out loud but it sure looks like that is what is being achieved.
  • Phil 2012/02/19 02:31:44
    Phil
    +1
    Well if they are wearing stupid looking outfits like in the pic up there I have no problem with 14yo models on the runway.
  • tj ~(^-^)~ 2012/02/19 00:40:58
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    +2
    No. It's such a big thing to push on a fourteen year old. They should be worrying about school and friends, not 'I better not trip on the runway', 'My hair isn't straight enough', 'Am I not skinny enough?'.
  • sm237 2012/02/19 00:37:02
    sm237
    +2
    Children's clothes in a department store ad or catalog is OK the runway is NOT....
  • naomicolleen 2012/02/18 22:51:10
    naomicolleen
    just giver
  • Happy 2012/02/18 22:37:18
    Happy
    I think it is fine, as long as they are in clothes such as those shown.
  • George Jovanovic 2012/02/18 22:13:07
    George Jovanovic
    +1
    Let childre be children. With retirement age moving to 67 life will turn in to slavery
  • Pokémon 2012/02/18 21:46:18
    Pokémon
    +3
    It's fine, perfectly fine
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/02/18 21:42:25
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +3
    I am a liberal and I would not be okay with my kid doing this. I have a friend who was a model, and I've heard horrible things about modeling. I don't think any child should be subject to that.
  • enemani 2012/02/18 21:32:12
    enemani
    +3
    If the girls don't have any problem with it,then I think its alright to go on
  • Mamaknows 2012/02/18 19:58:58
    Mamaknows
    +2
    I think it says something about designers and the industry that they are using a
    CHILD to model their clothes to
    ADULT WOMEN...and people don't see that as messed UP?
    Twisted F'd up veiw people....
    +1
    with great guidance
  • lurch 2012/02/18 19:27:19
    lurch
    +3
    Are the adults no longer anorexic enough, so they must now prey on children? Let the kids focus on being kids. Let them learn & have fun.
  • Ozymandias 2012/02/18 19:25:46
    Ozymandias
    +2
    If they're getting paid for it, why does it matter? They aren't being sexual abused, or forced to commit any kind of conduct against their will. It's absurd to deny a single individual his or her rights under the erroneous assumption that the entire sub-genre of people can't think properly and are therefore disposed to making poor decisions.

If it is in fact true that 14 year olds in general don't possess the necessary faculties to make proper judgements, then our blame system of eduction--target your opposition there, versus oppressing every 14 year old because the masses happen to be fools.

As unlikely as it may be, the individuals in question might have seriously considered the consequences of their actions; assessed the advantages and disadvantages of pursuing this life and still reached the conclusion that model would grant far more fulfilling existence for them then remaining in school.

No one has the right to dictate the life choices of any one else. It should be the foremost duty of society to grant to the masses, at the earliest possible age, the tool of critical thought. For only then does one have the luxury of leading a life free from the intellectual and social oppression of society.

No one can think for me, for I can think--Children do not have this tool...

No one can think for me, for I can think--Children do not have this tool in their possession, and society does not seem to mind. And for this reason we believe it is perfectly acceptable for us to determine their path in life. Its nothing short of criminal.
  • Rachel 2012/02/18 18:43:08
    Rachel
    +1
    What's the problem with it? It's not like the parents are forcing them to, they like doing it. And the only difference is that they have a little extra money. I started modeling when I was 10 or 11 and I don't see any problem with it
  • lovelyheart 2012/02/18 18:21:33
    lovelyheart
    +3
    so wrong
  • Papillon 2012/02/18 18:17:57
  • Theresa2000 2012/02/18 17:32:41
    Theresa2000
    I think that as long as it doesn't create complications in their normal teen life, it might be all right. However, teen years are crucial and I think it could cause some unnecessary issues with self image. We all know that after a certain point, our bodies change when going from teen to adulthood...it could go the right way or in a really horrible direction.
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2012/02/18 17:32:21
  • schjaz 2012/02/18 17:26:07
    schjaz
    +1
    No...they wanted my daughter to start modeling at 12! She had a fit cause I said 'Absolutely not".
    Why don't child labor laws apply to this stupid industry?
  • Rachel schjaz 2012/02/18 18:41:36
    Rachel
    +2
    I wad modeling before I was twelve and the only difference after was that I had more fun and had a little extra money
  • ibrahim 2012/02/18 16:47:45
    ibrahim
    Gid
  • cowboy 2012/02/18 16:29:00
    cowboy
    +2
    Not in my house,children is all they are,but to some their money in the bank
  • schjaz cowboy 2012/02/18 18:52:22
    schjaz
    +1
    sad and disgusting, isn't it? and then they wonder why they end up like Houston or Lohan.
  • The River Rat 2012/02/18 15:39:09
    The River Rat
    +2
    You have to learn to pick and choose your opportunities in life. These girls have the opportunity to make a great deal of money at a young age. Who can blame them for taking it.
  • Meh 2012/02/18 15:30:05
  • I'm History 2012/02/18 14:04:35
    I'm History
    +2
    The high-fashion catwalk is proof that society wants to be lied to. We want to see those ultra sexy females wearing those outfits that less than 1% of the population can wear, but wish we could. So we order that same outfit 6 to 10 sizes larger to fit our bodies and feel like the model, we become that ultra sexy model in our minds, even though we are big fat slobs, lol
    We do the same with our transportation, lol. We don't pick an automobile from which one has the best consumer rating for lasting, we pick the sexy looking, sleek race car looking automobile that looks like an indy 500 race car, and we feel like that race car driver as we speed down the road as fast as that piece of crap automobile will take us without blowing out it's sewing machine engine that gets 40+ miles to the gallon. It's why so many young kids die in automobile accidents, because they push that automobile that looks like a race car to limits it can't handle like the real race car can.

We like to be lied to, matter of fact we demand they lie to us if they want to sell us our dreams. Problem is though, dreams arn't reality, but most people refuse to believe that fact, and so it continues to lure us into that dream world our fat, out of shape bodies won't fit into, and our delusions of re...

We like to be lied to, matter of fact we demand they lie to us if they want to sell us our dreams. Problem is though, dreams arn't reality, but most people refuse to believe that fact, and so it continues to lure us into that dream world our fat, out of shape bodies won't fit into, and our delusions of reality and what is actually real.
    If advertising and catwalk illusions told us the truth, we would not purchase anything from them. They know most people would rather live in a dream world than the real one we actually have. That's why alot of people end up committing suicide when they find out they arn't living in the real world and NOW they have to face that fact.
  • metasebia 2012/02/18 13:09:13
    metasebia
    Yes, I saw model start 4 year different kind model ..........

2014/09/01 20:13:57