PUBLIC OPINION > 14-Year-Old Models Are Acceptable

It's one thing to use child models in Target catalogs to advertise children's clothes, but when designers start enlisting children to hit the high-fashion catwalk, it takes a different tone. Louis Vuitton designer Marc Jacobs is receiving criticism for employing two underage models (reportedly 14 or 15 years old) to show off some of his designs at New York Fashion Week -- even though the event specifically asked designers not to use any models under 16. Jacobs didn't seem too concerned with the breach, as the outfits were not revealing or overtly sexual, but officials expressed concern. We want to know if the public had a problem with the use of 14-year-old models.

Marc Jacobs Uses 14-Year-Old Models: OK or No Way?

58% Are OK With It

There was certainly some disagreement on the issue, but Jacobs came out with more support than criticism. The deciding factor seemed to be the outfits that were used. Not only were the girls covered, they were practically cocooned. On of the outfits looked like a chrysalis costume, while others included heavy winter coats. The Top Opinion read, "That girl is showing less skin than 14-year-olds walking the everyday streets. Please Marc Jacobs, continue dressing these girls." However, critics were concerned about how this move might progress in the wrong direction. One commenter warned, "Right now they are covered up but give it a few years and they will be in some skimpy gear."

Women Aren't as Worried

Interestingly, men seem to be more concerned about the negative implications of teen models than women are. Female voters were 11% more likely than men to be OK with Jacobs' use of underage models. It could be that men are more worried about how it might be received by certain members of their sex.

Conservatives Are Concerned

It should come as no surprise that conservatives took a more conservative stance on this, but we were more interested in the difference between the conservative vote and the libertarian vote. Technically, they're both right-leaning ideologies, but libertarians were the strongest supporters -- even more so than liberals. They were 42% more likely to approve of the idea than conservative respondents.

Parents Want No Part of It

Finally, parents demonstrated a good deal of concern. They were 22% more likely than voters without kids to oppose the use of teen models, and the reason should be pretty obvious. When you have teen girls of your own, or even a child who will someday be a teen, the idea of putting her up on display at a fashion show must lose its appeal.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about underage models. We'd love to hear from you!

• Andy Fletcher 2012/02/21 23:30:57
    Andy Fletcher
    As long as the parents are watching out for their kids, I have zero problems with it. But I mean truly watching out for them, not blinded by the $$$ signs. I'm not talking like Billy Ray "not knowing" what kind of pics were going to be taken of Miley by none other than Suze Randall, a photographer that made her name shooting explicit layouts for the likes of Hustler, Oui, Penthouse, etc.
  • Resp 2012/02/20 23:49:57
    Resp
    14-year-olds can model. But only 14-year-old clothes or school books!
  • Charlene 2012/02/20 20:43:54
  • Nathin and Hannah (: <3 2012/02/20 18:55:25
    Nathin and Hannah (: <3
    kids are sopose to think if theyy want to be a model let them
  • Lena 2012/02/20 17:01:41
    Lena
    They should go to school.
    Modeling!???
    Give me a break!
  • Rachel Lena 2012/03/01 23:27:04
    Rachel
    I model, I started modeling when I was 12 and I am able to keep a 3.8GPA and volunteer most days at an animal rescue. I chose to model and could quit whenever I want. The only thing different from when I didn't model was that I'm happier and have a little extra cash
  • Calvin Harris ✌ 2012/02/20 15:49:10
  • blindfaith 2012/02/20 15:13:57
  • savannalea 2012/02/20 15:04:41
    savannalea
    If they are mature enough .
  • Ron 2012/02/20 14:23:41
    Ron
    +1
    We need to stop pushing children into adulthood and into adult situations. They grow up quick enough as is without pushing them into it early. Putting 14 year olds on the runway to model as adults does not help and should be illegal. There are plenty of beautiful adult women who can model, let them do the adult clothing.
  • Todd's ... Ron 2012/02/20 15:29:19
  • Ron Todd's ... 2012/02/20 16:06:33
    Ron
    +1
    No, I'm not talking just sexual situations, I mean all of the things that make up becoming adults... Maturity is much more than sexuality. Thanks for trying to put words into my mouth but I'm afraid you got it wrong.
  • Todd's ... Ron 2012/02/20 17:10:20
    Todd's Love
    +2
    LOL trying to put words in you mouth?

I guess I should've said "WE" instead of "You." It's hard to communicate online when you're (I mean ONE) when **one** is using text to say sht.

What I mean is our society understands "maturity" to be sexual. For example "mature content," or "for mature folks other," etc "adult tv," etc. usually means sexual.

Nevermind, you didn't get my point cause you got too defensive. A pity, really.
  • Ron Todd's ... 2012/02/20 17:52:37
    Ron
    +1
    If you had communicated what you meant properly I would have agreed with you, and I do agree with you when you place it in the proper context. Sorry that you think I got defensive over nothing when it's actually the way you worded yourself.

You are right, society seems to place most of their emphasis on sexuality when they talk about maturity and it is shameful that they do so.
  • Todd's ... Ron 2012/02/20 18:41:12
    Todd's Love
    +1
    Eh, saying "i think its messed up that "Adult" just means "sexual crap," instead of just really advanced, intelligent or productive to our society... BLAH"

Pretty much said it all.

Again, it's hard to communicate something when there's no tone of voice or flow. Had we'd been face to face you'd known it wasn't a direct attack but just the common use of the word and everyone's reference to it even here on SH

Anyway, I'll be more careful with wording im VERY new to sodahead & I'm not used to the online networking yet
    mature content example above (:
  • Rogue_Loner 2012/02/20 13:11:39 (edited)
  • Todd's ... Rogue_L... 2012/02/20 15:31:18
    Todd's Love
    +2
    that GIF is creepy as helll I'm 4ever traumatized

reminds me of that Piers Anthony authr.... i got into him recently and he had a STRANGE obsession w/ little girls panties/children having sex, etc.. a FANTASY artist and this is what he wasted pages on a book on (HIS fantasies... ***shudder***) so ya, that gif creeps me out 10x as more aftr that
  • JayJawJoe 2012/02/20 12:15:50
    JayJawJoe
    As long as they don't use them for the types of clothes that are too exploiting. (Bikinis and the like). I sure as hell hope Playboy doesn't get any bright ideas either...
  • Todd's ... JayJawJoe 2012/02/20 15:32:44
    Todd's Love
    +1
    I'm surprised playboy hasn't used the Japan excuse ("13 is LEGAL in Japan!") to grain rights over 14 y/os....

that might be right around the corner with how the US is constantly under attack while people tend to overly praise anime and its "14 y/o naked girl obsession." w.t.f.
  • shadow76 2012/02/20 07:58:11
    shadow76
    +3
    I am not Okay with this kind of exploitation.
  • Wendy 2012/02/20 07:27:39
    Wendy
    +3
    14-year-old kids should have more time to learn something rather than earn money.
  • Todd's ... Wendy 2012/02/20 15:34:18
    Todd's Love
    +1
    with your "earn money" sentence, i'd like to add "and learn to be shallow & focused on shallow things..."

"14-year-old kids should have more time to learn something rather than earn money and learn to be shallow & focused on shallow things..."
  • Wendy Todd's ... 2012/02/22 07:21:14
    Wendy
    i can't agree more. :)
  • Todd's ... Wendy 2012/02/22 07:51:33
    Todd's Love
    (:
  • Rachel Wendy 2012/03/01 23:29:25
    Rachel
    I'm 14 and have modeled since I was 12. I have a 3.8GPA and volunteer at least 4 days a week at an animal rescue. The only difference from when I didn't model and now is that now I'm happier and have a little extra money.
  • diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy 2012/02/20 06:07:58
    diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy
    +1
    There is nothing wrong with taking pictures of CLOTHED children and teenagers, especially when it's done in a professional manner with the parents' consent.
    The people bellow me who are posting pictures of kids in bikinis (as if THAT is what the fashion companies are doing) seem to be going for an emotional reaction rather than trying to make a reasonable argument as to why teenagers shouldn't be fashion models.
  • Todd's ... diaverd... 2012/02/20 15:36:43
    Todd's Love
    Well, that's kinda like if you creep up the skirt of a young woman & then when she freaks out cause she knows where you're going you say "damn grl, quit being emotional! i didn't touch you THERE yet.."

same goes for this "modeling scheme." Sure, they're modeling the kids "fully clothed" now... but where exactly are they creeping at?? teaching shallowness at best, practicing for porn and praise at worst
  • diaverd... Todd's ... 2012/03/01 06:49:58
    diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy
    Um...no. You're really stretching it with your analogy about creeping up a woman's skirt.
  • Todd's ... diaverd... 2012/03/01 15:38:46
    Todd's Love
    u have 2 explain... otherwise, saying "NO, ur wrong." makes u doubly wrong.

if u think i said "modeling kids is like having sex w/ a woman" u missed the analogy.

if u understood the analogy 2 mean "creeping up" as in, slowly working ur way 2 whats "comfortable" until later on other things are "more comfortable" ... then u got it.

if u still disagree, then explain... otherwise, ur statement is irrational.
  • diaverd... Todd's ... 2012/03/06 21:09:14
    diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy
    I knew what you meant and it still doesn't make sense to me. I don't see how taking pictures of a fully clothed person could lead to that person doing porn. I'd have to see some serious evidence to accept that.
  • Todd's ... diaverd... 2012/03/06 21:21:47
    Todd's Love
    exactly..... it always comes off as innocent at 1st. just as you can just say "hey im just putting my hand on ur leg, completely harmless.." just 2 work your way up...

o, & in HS u should see the girls obsessing about their looks & eating....all they need is more models their age 2 keep up the habit..... kids should b kids! not comodities
  • diaverd... Todd's ... 2012/03/06 21:32:56
  • Todd's ... diaverd... 2012/03/06 21:37:43
  • Resp 2012/02/20 06:02:38
    Resp
    How can one tell anymore? Some models look like sticks. Some look like kids.
  • Todd's ... Resp 2012/03/01 15:41:07
    Todd's Love
    good point

but a real little kid doesnt have the psychology of an adult &should b spared from it rlly.
  • Silent Bob 2012/02/20 03:52:16
  • Rachel Silent Bob 2012/03/01 23:30:47
    Rachel
    She looks a little more than 14. And this doesn't look like a picture that you would find for normal teen modeling.
  • Silent Bob Rachel 2012/03/02 00:05:02
    Silent Bob
    14 year old whore model
    Okay. This is still a whore.
  • Rachel Silent Bob 2012/03/07 02:18:35
    Rachel
    Except that 1. That kids 10. Not 14. 3. Most modeling, especially for people 14 and younger, isn't like that. 4. Most likely the parents saw how much money they would get for it and decided that their kid wanted to do it, not the kid. 5. Not everything for modeling has to do with nudity and sex. We're talking about 'normal' . 6. People have the freedom to express themselves. If this 10 year old wants to whore around, more power to her. I don't see it putting issues into my life.
  • Silent Bob Rachel 2012/03/07 03:33:51
    Silent Bob
    You skipped 2.

2014/07/30 15:20:01