Pro Ana- Hurting or Helping

☠ Cheryl ☮ 2012/03/07 15:07:51
Sites such as this are helpul and healthy
It's Only Helping Them End Their Life.
Yesterday's Dr. Oz show was on the subject of Anorexia and web sites that are "Pro Anna" sites where people with this disease can go to get/share ideas, stories with others who have are Anorexic or share other eating disorders.

The site now has their main page changed with a statement to the public, wanting to keep things private since the airing of the show. I think in other words, they've received a lot of back lash/negative comments from the public.

I have found a URL where you can see portions of the site and click on links that take you to various parts of this site, but I don't believe you can get to members pages. Probably would need to sign up, something I have no interest in doing.

This is not the only Pro-Ana site, there are others out there.

Check it out, and then please come back and leave comments.

http://www.prettythin.com/proana.htm

• Inquisitve Kat 2012/04/15 08:37:46
    Inquisitve Kat
    These sites aren't "healthy", but they are helpful in offering support. Also, they encourage recovery and offer resources.
    Yes, they offer advice and information that is harmful, but good proana sites recommends those who are in recovery to avoid such sections.
    I have found friends and boundless support in proana groups. We understand and do not judge each other and we DO encourage each other to seek help, if things are too intense.
  • Claise 2012/03/20 20:44:08
    Claise
    I think theyre meant for helping
  • ☠ Cheryl ☮ Claise 2012/03/23 21:05:07
    ☠ Cheryl ☮
    I have to disagree because i have a friend who has the disease and she has visited these sites....she admits they are all about telling you how to diet, how to hide what your doing, etc. etc. they are only about helping you to destroy yourself, not to better yourself.
  • Claise ☠ Cheryl ☮ 2012/03/25 14:47:44
    Claise
    aah I see. No, Ive never seen the sites so far
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/03/08 04:56:58
    It's Only Helping Them End Their Life.
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +2
    those sites make me sick to my stomach. there should be less of "pro-Ana" and more of "anti-Ana"
  • ☠ Cheryl ☮ ♫♪‼Chlo... 2012/03/09 15:07:46
    ☠ Cheryl ☮
    Thanks for your response...appreciated.
  • Jiorgia 2012/03/07 15:23:04
    It's Only Helping Them End Their Life.
    Jiorgia
    +1
    Thinspiration sites are disgusting, i did a school project on them in year 10 and actually had to stop reading the "tips" after 10 minutes because i was going to be sick.
    there are things in there like "get an apple and cut it into 8 pieces, eat 2 pieces for breakfast, 1 for morning tea, 2 for lunch, 1 for afternoon tea and 2 for dinner, this way you will trick your body into keeping your metabolism up and lose more weight, and remember one apple a day keeps the doctor away"
  • ☠ Cheryl ☮ Jiorgia 2012/03/07 17:33:43
    ☠ Cheryl ☮
    +1
    Thanks for your response...appreciated!
  • Inquisi... Jiorgia 2012/04/15 08:40:52
    Inquisitve Kat
    Sometimes such words will get me through the day, as petty as that sounds.
    Sometimes one entire apple is more than we want to eat in a day, so forcing ourselves to intake that fibre is better than nothing, even if it isn't ideal.
    I see your point, but it's not that simple...

2014/07/26 06:25:31