Principal fired because of computing error: Fair or Foul

Kidasha 2012/11/30 22:43:09
So a principal in my town just lost his job because of an accident. Here's the story, so apparently he was emailing the parents of a special needs child about their child's progress and instead of hitting the button "reply" he accidentally hit the button "reply all" and sent the email to all of the parents of the school.

The parents of the child demanded that he be fired or else they would take the cas to court. The administration fired the principal the next day.

Now I know him from around and I know he is not the type of person to do this kind of thing on purpose. And I certainly don't think that he should be fired over something like this, I mean come on it was an accident. But he was just replaced with a new principal who in my opinion is not nearly qualified nor has the compassion. In my opinion, if the school did decide to take this case to court, he would have won

• Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/12/01 12:47:54
    Foul
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    Foul, but why are there still professional adults out there who don't know how computers work?
  • KoAm 2012/12/01 02:02:23
    KoAm
    My hunch is that there's more to this story than what we're reading here.

He couldn't have sent a "reply all" message to a whole bunch of people, unless he was "replying" to an email that had already been sent out to a group.

If he was emailing confidential information about a student to the student's parents, well ... I just can't see how a "reply all" message could happen there.

If it did somehow, well, he should have been much more careful. Especially if it involved sensitive or confidential info about one of the kids.
  • Richard M. Nixon 2012/12/01 00:31:56
    Richard M. Nixon
    "... he would have won..."

Well; maybe. I'd need the other side of the story and a peek at his contract before ruling on this one. Sorry, but fair is fair.

won story peek contract ruling fair fair

Did it make the papers? Got a link?

won story peek contract ruling fair fair papers link
  • Kidasha Richard... 2012/12/01 00:42:05
    Kidasha
    +1
    I don't think it made the papers yet. It only happened two days ago
  • Richard... Kidasha 2012/12/01 01:07:55
    Richard M. Nixon
    Well, let's wait for all the facts. He could have hit the wrong key while shooting up.

wait facts hit wrong key shooting

That would change everything.
  • Rustie 2012/11/30 22:45:28
  • sockpuppet 2012/11/30 22:44:54
    sockpuppet
    Why would "Reply All" send the message to anyone who wasn't in the CC header in the first place?
  • Kidasha sockpuppet 2012/11/30 22:48:09
    Kidasha
    well the school email from what i heard is made to that so you don't have to write everyone's name in the CC to send a schoolwide notification
  • sockpuppet Kidasha 2012/11/30 23:05:29
    sockpuppet
    Can't happen. The "Reply" function looks only at the header of the message being replied to-- not at address books or mailing lists. He probably accidentally added another recipient in the "to" field (mailto: whole_darned_district) and sent it out.

Some people shouldn't use technology. :O)

2014/04/23 17:41:05