President Obama’s Secretary Paid Higher Tax Rate Than He Did: Approve or Disapprove?

Fef 2012/04/13 22:47:46
President Obama continues to drive class warfare and envy with his parade talking about the "Buffet Rule." The President wants to raise taxes on the wealthy who invest to create jobs and wealth for others. The parade looks more like a charade now that President Obama has released his tax returns, which reveal that Barack Obama's paid a lower rate than his secretary -- the exact issue that Obama complains about in his war against the wealth creators.

White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage tells ABC News that Breckenridge “pays a slightly higher rate this year on her substantially lower income, which is exactly why we need to reform our tax code and ask the wealthiest to pay their fair share. ” However, ABC News reports:
It should be noted that president would not be impacted by the Buffett Rule, though he would see his taxes go up if the so-called Bush tax cuts on higher income wage-earners were allowed to expire, as the president says he wants.Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images President Obama today released his 2011 federal income tax, with he and his wife reporting an adjusted gross income of $789,674. The Obamas paid $162,074 in total tax – an effective federal income tax rate of 20.5%. The Obamas also reported donating approximately 22% of their income to charity — $172,130. President Obama has been making a big political push for the “Buffett Rule,” which would require millionaires to pay a minimum of 30% of their income in taxes. To illustrate the point, the president has pointed out that billionaire investor Warren Buffett pays a lower tax…

taxes illustrate president pointed billionaire investor warren buffett pays tax

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/04/presi...

• Hopscotch 2012/05/12 16:29:02
    Disapprove
    Hopscotch
    WOW, that's terrible, almost as terrible as Romney not paying any tax at all on 267 million dollars sheltered in offshore bank accounts. The first American ever in that situation, to have the unmediated mordacity to seek the America presidency. And as for the so called GOP "Job Creators " they have never ever created ONE SINGLE JOB except for their own profit. Is this question a joke or just a joke question? I know Jesus saves, but isn't that asking allot?.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/04/16 13:53:56
    Approve
    Elaine Magliacane
    Want FAIR taxes... how about a FLAT RATE for EVERYONE... so the 50% who pay ZERO have some skin in the game. Let's STOP the GOVT from taxing us more than once on the SAME DOLLAR!!... so no income tax on capital gains, no death tax, no tax on interest income, or social security, or unemployment benefits... to name a few things double/triple taxed.
  • carolynb 2012/04/15 19:14:13
    Approve
    carolynb
    Obamas income has fallen dramatically from when he first took office, and yet he has paid 20% taxes and 22% charities, so 40% of his income is gone. He is a very generous and kind man along with his wife. There happiness does not come from money.
  • Brightsprite62 2012/04/15 13:49:19
    Disapprove
    Brightsprite62
    +1
    Practice what you preach Odumbnuts.
  • DavidK 2012/04/15 04:21:34
    Disapprove
    DavidK
    +1
    She deserves more pay though seeing as she was qualified for the job where Obama wasn't!
  • Pat 2012/04/15 02:38:34
    Approve
    The Buffet Rule is not in effect and the president paid what the law says is due from him. He trying to change the law and we really should all get on board. Which one of us is ever going to pay more taxes that he owes? None of us.
  • Mark 2012/04/15 00:43:11 (edited)
    Disapprove
    Mark
    He has reduced his pay (good luck finding another president that has done that) , from the 5 million the first year , to somewhere over a million the 2nd year to $ 700,000.00 last year .
    Other people decide the pay initially , then he decided to reduce it since .

All ghettos in America , other than the original 5 , were created by false con$ervatives .
  • Seonag 2012/04/14 20:54:25
    Disapprove
    Seonag
    +1
    BUT, under the current tax code that is the way it is. For several decades we've been saying the tax code needs a full overhaul. Instead, Congress makes quick fixes and only makes it more unfair and more cumbersome. No one like paying taxes, but most agree they are a necessary evil. The tax code needs a full overhaul to make it fair for ALL individual tax payers and ALL Corporations (some mega-corporations pay no taxes at all --- like GE).
  • ruthannhausman 2012/04/14 18:53:55
    Approve
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Dumb choices for the answer so I just clicked the first one I hit.

Obama's secretary did not pay a higher rate than he did. The rate does not change. The basis FOR the rate, however, changes. There are income taxes and there are capital gains taxes, etc. The secretary paid taxes on her adjusted annual income for that year, and she paid at a rate determined by how much she made -- in earned income. Salaries, wages, commissions, etc.

The current taxing system in America sucks, I'll grant you that with no argument whatsoever. But I'm getting sick and tired of people bastardizing semantics and then quoting the end product as truth.

I don't know what Obama owns or makes or has or whatever, so I can't speak to him or to Mitt Romney either, who happens to be another target in this argument. Obama is making a salary as president, so I don't know how he has managed to get his earned income down low enough to put him into a lower tax bracket than his secretary. Hmm. But like I said, I don't know the facts here so I'll keep quiet on that subject.

But as for Romney, from what I understand, he doesn't draw a salary from anybody at the present time. All of his money comes from dividends and proceeds from his investments. That stuff is taxed at a different rate than our ...

But as for Romney, from what I understand, he doesn't draw a salary from anybody at the present time. All of his money comes from dividends and proceeds from his investments. That stuff is taxed at a different rate than our wages.

Our monies under the current lousy system are already taxed, double taxed, triple taxed, so on and so forth up the gazoo. Was once a time when if you managed to accumulate a good sized savings account for your retirement you could "invest" in safe places such as, for instance, savings bonds or CD's and you could live nicely off your social security and those interest payments and the principal funds would barely get touched. Not so anymore. The interest rates on savings and CD's and whatnot totally suck. You'd better have a good-sized retirement account to supplement the social security, period. And that principal account is going to get hit every year more and more until you're left with nothing.

Increasing tax rates will adversely affect everybody in this country, ultimately. You people who believe the crap the democrats are dishing out with the Buffet Rule and "fairness doctrine" and blatant bullcrap like that need to wake up and smell the coffee. That is, of course, if you can afford to have some in the morning since coffee prices have increased 23% since 2008 -- you know, the magic year when we were going to "change."

Remember the distinctions of tax rates versus actual taxes paid and so on and so forth. But so long as there are people who do not merely envy but are severely jealous of those who have more than they do, money-wise, they are never, ever going to apply any kind of intelligent logic to the situation and see the truth for what it is. 401(k) plans, retirement programs of all kinds receive their "income" via investments. Raise the capital gains tax on "the rich" in America and you are raising the tax on your own retirement funds as well. Not to mention small business whose operating funds are going to need to be increased to accommodate loss of income and, therefore, a simultaneous raise in the cost of their goods, which gets passed on to guess who. The rich? Uh, guess again. I'm talking about "goods" like everything you wear, everything you eat, and entertainment as well.

Do not, repeat not, let Obama fool you, folks. Use your brains for a change and ignore the emotional knee-jerk reactions that are causing us so much trouble. November 2012, get rid of the Marxist-socialist elitists who are running this country into the ground. If you don't, you are not going to like the results, I assure you.
  • All American 2012/04/14 11:33:51
    Approve
    All American
    +3
    She pays on the same tax scale on wages / salary as you, I and everyone else, including Warren. She also pays the same rate on capital gains and dividends as you, I and everyone else, including Warren. They are comparing apples and oranges in a deliberate attempt to deceive the public.
  • Marie All Ame... 2012/04/14 15:57:52
    Marie
    +1
    So many stupid people do not understand this!!! tax on capital gains
  • All Ame... Marie 2012/04/14 19:14:09
    All American
    +2
    That's what the dems are counting on.
  • ruthann... All Ame... 2012/04/14 18:55:52
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    Darn it, you've managed to say the same thing I did but in so many, many fewer, colncise words. I envy you that talent but applaud your intelligence and ability to share it!
  • All Ame... ruthann... 2012/04/14 19:14:41
    All American
    +1
    Great minds thingk alike.
  • ruthann... All Ame... 2012/04/15 18:41:38
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Good one, I liked that comment! (LOL)
  • mich52 2012/04/14 04:28:02
  • Mickey 2012/04/14 03:38:03
    Disapprove
    Mickey
    He is an evil 1%er
  • rand 2012/04/14 03:34:15
    Disapprove
    rand
    ...a problem that would be solved by passing the Buffett Rule.
  • Giantfan 2012/04/14 03:15:20
    Disapprove
    Giantfan
    +4
    ROMNEY MADE $20+ MILLION DOLLARS LAST YEAR AND CREATED ZERO THATS 0 JOBS. NOT EVERY RICH PERSON OWNS A BUSINESS. MANY WORK ON WALL STREET AND CREATE NOTHING BUT WEALTH FOR THEMSELVES. I JUST LOVE THE CONSERVATIVE TERM "JOB CREATORS" AS A DISCRIPTION OF THE RICH PEOPLE. CONSERVATIVES CLAIM MOST JOBS ARE CREATED BY SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS AND MOST OF THEM ARE NOWHERE NEAR MILLIONAIRS. SO ONCE AGAIN THEY SHOULD CLOSE LOOPHOLES FOR THE RICH, LET THE BUSH TAXCUTS FOR THE RICH EXPIRE AND THAT SHOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF MIDDLE CLASS WORKERS GETTING SCREWED IN TAXES COMPAIRED TO THE RICH.
  • jtjustice 2012/04/14 03:05:25
    Disapprove
    jtjustice
    +4
    This lying MF will need to come up with some spin on this one like the idiot buffet who owes a Billion dollars in taxes dating back to 2000...

Typical of a socialist swine who reeks of being a traitor...
  • mich52 jtjustice 2012/04/14 04:29:46
  • jtjustice mich52 2012/04/14 18:36:44
    jtjustice
    +3
    NO, I do NOT support the buffett rule - I support a consumption tax - it is the ONLY way to ensure that, as our socialist leaders says until I am sick of hearing it - EVERYONE pays their fair share...all of the rest of this crap is CRAP and consumption for the dullards out there who haven't clue about what is going on in their country.
  • ruthann... jtjustice 2012/04/14 18:57:46
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    "Socialst swine." I like that term, may I borrow it? And I totally agree with everything you've said, by the way.
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/04/14 02:55:59
    Approve
    Stan Kapusta
    +2
    Not everybodys taxes are the same. It's the tax laws that are screwed up. Something is wrong with a system when the common man can go to jail because he cannot understand it.
  • Marcus Clark 2012/04/14 02:44:20
    Disapprove
    Marcus Clark
    +3
    I disapprove of any income taxes (personal or business.)
    Support the Fair Tax. http://fairtax.org/
  • mwg0735 2012/04/14 02:15:47
  • evangelism_vision 2012/04/14 01:47:27
    Disapprove
    evangelism_vision
    +4
    What would you expect? He's the President the IRS bends over and kisses Obama's kester! And besides, Obama is a Crook a Tax cheat and a Thug.... Nothing new here!
  • Marie evangel... 2012/04/15 17:36:01 (edited)
    Marie
    +1
    How did a community organizer buy a mansion in Chicago???How did a very poor boy go to Harvard, when his mom could not afford health care?Please do not say he got a scholarship to go to Harvard! Obamas mom was sick
  • Elaine ... Marie 2012/04/16 14:00:26
    Elaine Magliacane
    Perhaps his MILLIONAIRE grand parents paid his way?
  • Marie Elaine ... 2012/04/16 18:38:42
    Marie
    Dream on!
  • evangel... Marie 2012/04/16 21:03:29
    evangelism_vision
    OBAMA WAS GROOMED FOR THE AMERICA SHAFT
  • clasact 2012/04/14 01:27:12
    Approve
    clasact
    +1
    do we know all the facts here like what were her deductions ,how much did she donate .This is like compareing apples to oranges if you dont have all the facts so how can one approve or disapprove
  • jtjustice clasact 2012/04/14 03:08:40
    jtjustice
    +3
    Who in the hell give a flying FK...it is the bottom line that counts - make just under the new magic number of $1 million and they cannot scolled you for not paying 30%...BS. This liar and communist thug will say anything to get reelected - watch at the spinning that will be going on for the next severl weeks and months...
  • clasact jtjustice 2012/04/14 10:06:56
    clasact
    now is that the way the tax code is written now or what he said it should be.He paid what he was suposed to under the current tax code .you shouldnt spin this into something its not just because you dont like the guy
  • jtjustice clasact 2012/04/14 18:44:56
    jtjustice
    +2
    obama is a racist and a class warfare elitist...his desire is to take from the so called rich and GIVE it to the so called poor...BS. This socialist traitor to America is a FK'g parasite and like all parasites he needs to be removed from society...

The Current tax code allows - wait for it, wait for it - the rich who according to the TRAITOR obama the ability to invest - to garner dividend's at lower tax rates, it allows write off's like giving your daughters $48K each and getting a break doing it...this is the law this swine is railing about yet it takes full advantage of every loophole possible - OK, good for him but DO NOT come back and say the rich are not paying their fair share AND you intend to pay down the debt - LIAR! As we now know, his tax the rich scheme is NOT about reducing the debt it is about CLASS WARFARE...and he the liar in chief is a part of the 1% he rails against - there is NOTHING preventing him from walking the talk an sending a fat check for the remaining $76,000 to the feds so he too is paying his fair share of 30%...
  • clasact jtjustice 2012/04/14 18:52:36
    clasact
    let see he is pushing the Buffet rule wich if you check it out the only differance between it a the Regan tax cuts years ago is his had everyone pay 28% across the board and the Buffet rule would be 30% so what class warfare and how if it nearly the sam rule is he a traitor.....try pulling your head out and checking things a bit
  • ruthann... jtjustice 2012/04/14 19:11:23
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    Ah, yes, and all we need to do is videotape the first speech and then simply replay it every time he goes somewhere else to make a speech. He may inject a different adjective here or there but the substance will be precisely the same. And I'll bet you and I could successfully compose that speech right now if we wanted to waste our time and it'll include everything the old boy is gonna say. Don't you agree? He's like a broken record and when he's not distorting the figures, he's outright lying about them. Don't you just love it? Our Glorious Leader. Wow, don't it make you proud? Not.

P.S. I like the national sales tax (or consumption tax) or whatever else they call it. Now that is fair. And the illegal income earners, to include the gangsters and thugs in the criminal trades, all will get to pay their fair share of the money they get from their evildoings. Talk about fairness! I'm sure we can sit down soon and work out the details that would make this concept not only workable but preferable to the current system. But it needs to be brought up and discussed seriously. And soon.
  • Marie jtjustice 2012/04/16 18:42:25
  • Snowball 2012/04/14 01:23:34 (edited)
    Disapprove
    Snowball
    +1
    I think if you're creating the tax program, you should have the balls to fund it in the manner you claim is necessary for it to work- lead by example! If I want to leave a big tip for a waitress and feel she deserves it, I DON'T pull out my trusty "tip guide" & base it on the cost of the food, instead, I tip what I think is "fair". Guess he doesn't think his own tax rate without deductions is fair.
  • TheTruth1313 2012/04/14 01:10:03
    Disapprove
    TheTruth1313
    +3
    What Obama says is the exact opposite of what he does. Pretty much SOP here.

2014/10/01 06:13:02