Prenatal Problem: Whose Rights Come First - Pregnant Mother or Unborn Child?

Hayles 2010/01/18 16:33:16
The mother's rights come first because...
The unborn child's rights come first because...
Undecided...
After feeling ill, a pregnant Samantha Burton went to see her doctor. Though the doctor stated that she needed to be bedridden for the rest of her pregnancy (another 15 weeks), Samantha disagreed and wanted a second opinion. "But Burton did not get a second opinion. She was not allowed to leave the hospital. After she protested her doctor's orders, the hospital obtained a court order requiring her to comply with her doctor's medical advice as to "preserve the life and health of Samantha Burton's unborn child." So Burton remained in the hospital where, three days later, she miscarried." And now the case is going to court. So you decide...whose rights come first?

Read More: http://www.newsweek.com/id/231453

• Shigyrl but outspoken on my... 2010/01/20 03:42:17 (edited)
    Undecided...
    Shigyrl but outspoken on my future
    +8
    First off this poll has very bias responses. This was not about whose life was more important, but what was going on with the mother and her baby. She legally should of had the right to get a second opinion. This baby may have survived. I have a friend who lost her baby because the doctors did not do a second ultra sound. Which would of shown that her babies cord was wrapped around his neck. I could of lost my daughter this summer if I had not switched doctors. Due to my own doctors unwillingness to perform my c-section early though I had gone into labor twice prior to the switch to a doctor who attended me everytime I went to the hospital. This woman's doctor was neglectful.

• RLars21 2010/01/25 21:34:24
    Undecided...
    RLars21
    depends on the situation
  • The Gov-Here to help BN362 2010/01/23 02:02:23
    Undecided...
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    But I think the mother may be able to be charged with child abuse..

If you are pregnant and take drugs and they test you they can take your child away so I think that the baby may have rights separate from the mother even if the child depends on the mother to live. I don't know for sure though, just throwing that out there.
  • ReaperGirl 2010/01/23 01:59:31
    ReaperGirl
    +2
    The mother had the right to get a 2nd opinion.
  • seathanaich 2010/01/22 22:49:29
    seathanaich
    +1
    This stuff is never black/white.

And the only ones doing well in this situation are the lawyers.
  • wpsark 2010/01/20 20:36:01
    Undecided...
    wpsark
    +2
    Idk, she should have been allowed a second opinion. That should not have been a judge's decision. There's not that much detail in the story. I mean if the lady was a drug addict and that's why her baby was critical, then yes a judge should step in, but I dont' think that's the case
  • samanth... wpsark 2010/04/01 16:48:20
    samantha e burton
    +2
    my name is samantha e. burton and I am not and was not a drug addict. I wanted my baby boy more thananything in this world.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2010/01/20 18:30:41
    Undecided...
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    The mother had the right to get a 2nd opinion. Both lives could have been saved.

One more example how government will control our lives if this health care passes...there will be no 2nd opinions.
  • Samantha 2010/01/20 17:05:40
    Samantha
    She should have listened to the doctor after all they did go to college to do this sort of thing. But no she was selfish and basically murdered her child.
  • Lynn Samantha 2010/01/20 17:43:31 (edited)
    Lynn
    Just like Conrad Murray?
  • Samantha Lynn 2010/01/20 19:15:20
    Samantha
    I don't know who that is.
  • Lynn Samantha 2010/01/20 20:31:01
    Lynn
    He's the doctor that went to college to do this sort of thing..... and killed Michael Jackson with his incompetance.
  • Samantha Lynn 2010/01/20 20:37:04
    Samantha
    First off Michael Jackson was a junkie, they have already proved that and second of all. They kept her in the hospital to keep her safe and the child but no she didn't listen and killed the child from being stupid.
  • Lynn Samantha 2010/01/21 01:45:33
    Lynn
    Stop reading the tabloids... batboy isnt real.

reading tabloids batboy real

• LifeIsC... Samantha 2010/01/27 01:02:42
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    She did listen, after recieving a court order, and stayed in bed and STILL MISCARRIED. Read the damn article all the way through.
  • samanth... Samantha 2010/04/01 15:47:04
    samantha e burton
    +1
    Fist of all you dont know my story and I did listen to the doctor it was her that did not listen to me!!! I complained for two days before march 25th that there was something down there and begged for them to check me. they did not and because of that my baby died of a prolapsed umbilical cord. that was my little boy and how dare you say i killed him!!!!!! know your facts before you open your mouth!!!!!!!! samantha e burton
  • Samantha samanth... 2010/04/01 16:18:03
    Samantha
    The baby had already died so it wasn't an abortion!
  • samanth... Samantha 2010/04/01 16:39:26
    samantha e burton
    +3
    I wanted to change hospitals because they were not doing there job and I knew there was something wrong with my baby. they also didnt tell you that i was in the hospital for over a week before march 25th and everything they said. I held my died baby boy for two days after the fact.
  • samanth... samanth... 2010/04/01 16:57:58
    samantha e burton
    you now have nothing to say samantha???
  • lilbitbord Samantha 2010/01/20 17:56:29
    lilbitbord
    +2
    You do know that she did stay at the hospital, but she still lost the baby? She did not murder her child. She wanted a second opinion and the hospital would not allow her to leave or even get another doctor to give her the second opinion. She wanted another option then staying in the hospital because she had two other children at home.

And doctors are not always right. I'm prime example on how wrong doctors can be.
  • samanth... lilbitbord 2010/04/01 16:50:56
    samantha e burton
    +1
    thank you
  • supergirl[1k]sitemodelsneeded! 2010/01/20 17:04:31
    supergirl[1k]sitemodelsneeded!
    +1
    the child doesnt evn really exhist yet and if the mother gets hurt then the baby has a high risk of getting hurt to. the mother should come first
  • kmay 2010/01/20 16:55:31 (edited)
    Undecided...
    kmay
    +1
    Not that simple.
  • Annie 2010/01/20 16:44:07
    Undecided...
    Annie
    +2
    Actually it all depends on the individual situation...no one can judge everyone across the board, each situation can be very different!
  • Lizzie Bee *In My Sisters I... 2010/01/20 16:36:55 (edited)
    Undecided...
    Lizzie Bee *In My Sisters I Trust*
    +1
    if she were to get up and move she would hurt her unborn baby!!!
  • a 2010/01/20 15:59:51
    Undecided...
    a
    +1
    I personally feel that both the mother and unborn child right to life comes at the same time. The mother is the carrier of the unborn child, but the child has his OWN BODY and needs support from specific individuals especially the mother. The unborn child has a right to live on this earth.
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2010/01/20 15:30:57
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +1
    The woman is carrying this helpless child so it's her responsibility to care for it.

However, I do not agree with how the particular situation with Samantha Burton was handled. The hospital had no right to keep her there.
  • Samantha fairief... 2010/01/20 17:07:27
    Samantha
    But they were keeping her there for the safety of her and the child. I was on bedrest with both of my kids. I wish I could have stayed in the hospital then I probably wouldn't have had toxemia. The hospital can also help a pregnant woman with the stress she may be under.
  • jeedai Samantha 2010/01/20 17:53:09
    jeedai
    +4
    But they had no right to simply hold her there. It's a hospital, not a prison.

If she wanted to leave, she should have been allowed to leave. You cannot deny someone's rights in favor of someone else's.

I'm a little stunned the court ruled in favor of the Hospital.

Cheers.
  • samanth... jeedai 2010/04/01 16:52:20
    samantha e burton
    +3
    thank you
  • RicemanSTM ~POTL~PWCM~JLA~AFCL 2010/01/20 15:29:45
    RicemanSTM ~POTL~PWCM~JLA~AFCL
    +3
    Fetus can't survive without mother, mother's life comes first. And the woman was entitled to a second opinion.
  • Master 2010/01/20 14:39:30
    Master
    +3
    If a fetus is lost, the mother can often become pregnant again, but if the mother is lost, she can't be "replaced."
  • GOD 2010/01/20 14:19:00
    GOD
    +1
    and always should
  • Star 2010/01/20 14:17:40 (edited)
    Star
    +1
    If she made the choice to follow through with her pregnancy, and have the child, she should do it with the utmost care and fulfill her responsibility to the baby's health.

So at this point in the pregnancy, the child's life, and her survival for that matter, come first.

BUT, I must add, SHE HAD ALL THE RIGHT IN THE WORLD FOR A SECOND, THIRD, FOURTH OPINION. Doctor's are not perfect, and many times are in such a hurry that they misdiagnose.
  • ~The Tickler~ 2010/01/20 12:47:48
    ~The Tickler~
    If she decided to have a child then she most suffer the conseconses.
  • samanth... ~The Ti... 2010/04/01 16:54:28
    samantha e burton
    +1
    I wanted my baby and I did listen to the doctors for over a week, it was them who did not listen to me.
  • God-Cilla (Saviour to the M... 2010/01/20 10:47:47
    God-Cilla (Saviour to the Masses)
    +2
    Of course. I need not even explain why, that's just ridiculous.
  • TeardropsOfBlood4The1iiLove♥ 2010/01/20 10:40:28 (edited)
    Undecided...
    TeardropsOfBlood4The1iiLove♥
    Its hard to say. I'd say the mother in some ways cos like someone has already said 'without the mum kid wouldnt live' but i think the kid has rights too. She maybe bed ridden but anyone in that posistion when they're prgnant, wouldn't it be worth it afterwards cos you've a child to love? Its sad that she miscarried but at least she didnt abort it.

Hope that makes sense and I havent offended anyone. Sorry if I have
  • Bob Uda 2010/01/20 07:56:58
    Bob Uda
    +1
    If a woman becomes pregnant due to rape or incest, then the mother's rights come first. However, if the woman is a slut and becomes pregnant, then the unborn child's rights come first.
  • lilbitbord Bob Uda 2010/01/20 14:34:45 (edited)
    lilbitbord
    +2
    Wow! What if the women is married? You are implying that any women who becomes pregnant, without out the help of violence, is a slut and becomes a walking incubator? Are you married? I wonder what your wife's opinion would be!
  • Bob Uda lilbitbord 2010/01/29 08:31:45
    Bob Uda
    Your response is like Samantha's below--totally misguided. My answer is the same to you as to Samantha, for you both distorted what I was saying. Yes, I am married, and my wife would say the same thing I did. Are you a liberal? Only liberals would make comments like you and Samantha did below.

2014/04/17 10:16:12