Pray hard for Sarah Murnaghan. Her time is running out, and the rules may not be adjusted fast enough to save her or others.

Dwight PWCM 2013/06/02 12:19:37
Prayers for Sarah.
HHS chiefs seeks review of lung transplant policy
By RON TODT
The Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius is calling for a review of policies affecting patients needing lung transplants as a 10-year-old Pennsylvania girl whose parents say she's been denied the life-saving surgery because of her age remains hospitalized on a ventilator.
Sebelius sent a letter Friday to the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network, asking it to review the policy on lung allocation. The nonprofit agency is under contract with the federal government and also works with United Network for Organ Sharing, which manages the transplant system.
Sebelius asked that a "transparent, deliberative" review be done as soon as possible "with the intent of identifying any potential improvements to this policy that would make more transplants available to children" consistent with the goals of fairness and best use of organs.
She said the disparity between donors and children awaiting transplants is "especially stark" with only 20 lung transplants last year involving organs from donors up to age 11. She also said she is asking federal officials to "consider new approaches for promoting pediatric and adolescent organ donation."
Sarah Murnaghan's parents say the Newtown Square girl has end-stage cystic fibrosis and has been unable to leave Children's Hospital of Philadelphia for three months, needing a ventilator to breathe.
They say she has been awaiting a transplant from a pediatric donor and is also eligible for a lung from an adult donor. But under existing policy all adults in the region with her blood type will be offered the lungs first, her parents say, even those more stable and with less severe conditions. The girl's parents called for a change in the policy after their appeal was denied.
Sebelius did not directly reference the Murnaghan case but had been petitioned by lawmakers and Gov. Tom Corbett to take action on the girl's behalf, and an online petition calling for a change had drawn more than 260,000 signatures by Saturday.
United Network for Organ Sharing, also a nonprofit under contract with the government, said a committee would review the policy and the public would have a chance to comment on any proposed changes. But spokeswoman Anne Paschke said any changes most likely won't come quickly enough to benefit Sarah or others like her.
"The policy development process is not fast," she said in an email to The Associated Press. "Organ allocation policies are created to transplant as many people as possible overall, result in the fewest waiting list deaths overall and result in the best possible survival overall. In developing policies, committees and the board weigh data, medical evidence and experience, and public input."
Officials have said the original system setting priorities didn't establish criteria for children younger than 12 because of a lack of data, but the system was recently changed to give sicker children higher priorities for transplants and to cast a wider net for suitable candidates.
Copyright The Associated Press

Read More: http://www.1340wgau.com/news/ap/pennsylvania/feder...

• Der Kitabkúzædlhen 2013/06/11 08:09:00
    Prayers for Sarah.
    Der Kitabkúzædlhen
    +1
    So little kids WHO'LL DIE IF THEY DON'T GET A LUNG TRANSPLANT PROMPTO don't matter as much as adults who can wait for the critical patients to be saved?

kids die lung transplant prompto adults wait critical patients saved

I wish her - and anyone else who has to deal with this BS - the best of luck.
  • Superman2 2013/06/04 19:34:27
    Prayers for Sarah.
    Superman2
    +1
    Let all pray for her
  • tiff 2013/06/03 14:49:01
    Prayers for Sarah.
    tiff
    +1
    Our hearts and prayers will be with her.
  • LadyXaos ☮ 2013/06/03 04:42:32
    Prayers for Sarah.
    LadyXaos ☮
    +1
    The petition is over at change.org if anyone wants to sign it. Maybe the more signatures they get the faster they will change these rules. An adult should not come before a child, particularly if the adult is in less critical condition.

https://www.change.org/petiti...
  • Dwight ... LadyXaos ☮ 2013/06/03 12:01:27
    Dwight PWCM
    +1
    THX for that.
  • S123 2013/06/03 00:22:26
    I think.....
    S123
    +2
    I hope that Sarah will be okay.
    hospital gift basket kids hospital gift kids hospital flowers kids
  • slim8961 2013/06/02 23:42:11
    Prayers for Sarah.
    slim8961
    +1
    prayers godspeed bless your little heart
  • sky blue pink - American 2013/06/02 22:10:04
    Prayers for Sarah.
    sky blue pink - American
    +1
    Of course this sweet Angel, will get prayers.
    Have a good one !
  • brichards719 2013/06/02 16:38:30
    I think.....
    brichards719
    +1
    i won't pray but i'll hope.
  • Dwight ... brichar... 2013/06/02 16:40:03
    Dwight PWCM
    Fair enough, thanks.
  • WankerBait 2013/06/02 15:54:05
    I think.....
    WankerBait
    The system is not perfect. Many in need of life saving organ transplants never receive their gift of life. Too many ill people and not enough donors does not make happy endings. At least the HHS Secretary is attempting to streamline the process, even though this child may not benefit.
  • The River Rat 2013/06/02 15:39:20
    I think.....
    The River Rat
    +2
    This is what we all face under Obama Care (The Affordable Care Act) if we are very sick and old or young.
  • Dwight ... The Riv... 2013/06/02 15:40:14
    Dwight PWCM
    +2
    I agree, all such rationing will be decided by the IRS.
  • WankerBait Dwight ... 2013/06/02 15:47:00 (edited)
    WankerBait
    You're an ideological idiot and an a-hole for perpetuating lies and misinformation!!!

Edit: Ha, another liar and coward who can't handle the truth runs and hides behind the block as their 1st resort... Pathetic!
  • Dwight ... WankerBait 2013/06/02 15:57:00
    Dwight PWCM
    +2
    Since you are an obvious ass and incapable of civil conversation a diagreeing opinion, take yourself elsewhere to bitch and moan I will not allow you to behave this way on My poll. Good Bye!
  • WankerBait The Riv... 2013/06/02 15:47:54 (edited)
    WankerBait
    Interesting, this is happening now, and the ACA has nothing to do with it. Hmmm ...
  • The Riv... WankerBait 2013/06/02 15:54:34
    The River Rat
    +1
    It will get even worse then.
  • Dwight ... The Riv... 2013/06/02 15:58:01
    Dwight PWCM
    +1
    That person is now blocked and will not be back.
  • The Riv... Dwight ... 2013/06/02 16:01:08
    The River Rat
    +1
    Just a troll or sock puppet, I'm sure.
  • Dwight ... The Riv... 2013/06/02 16:14:24
    Dwight PWCM
    +1
    I have no time for rude socks. There are too many already.
  • SteveMarine- JLA 2013/06/02 14:39:07 (edited)
    Prayers for Sarah.
    SteveMarine- JLA
    +2
    So lets save older folks and let children die? Is this some kinda backwards liberal bull shi# as usual? I mean not that we shouldn't help our elders im simply saying we should as a society do every thing we can for every one not based on ages. I do hope this works out. I have two little girls close to her age and I would be losing my freakin mind right now if they were sick. Id probably have a gun going after a doctor before id watch my girls die. Hope every thing works out for this family.
  • Chibi Guru Z 2013/06/02 13:37:35
    Prayers for Sarah.
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    I do hope things work out alright.
  • beachbum 2013/06/02 13:13:50
    Prayers for Sarah.
    beachbum
    +2
    I had not heard about this child - will definitely pray for her and her family.
  • Poll 2013/06/02 12:52:13
    Prayers for Sarah.
    Poll
    +2
    i will pray for her.
    jesus bless sarah.

2014/04/17 15:42:37