Powerful Women Cheat as much as Men?

Kimmel Janitor of the PHAET 2011/04/29 18:28:18
My Opinion

Powerful Women as Likely to Cheat as Men, Study Finds

People stray because of confidence, not gender, researchers say

-- Robert Preidt

THURSDAY, April 28 (HealthDay News) -- Women in powerful positions are just as likely as men to cheat on their spouses, according to new research.

It's widely believed that men are more likely than women to cheat on their spouses, but power appears to be a more important factor than gender, according to the study published April 28 in the journal Psychological Science.

"There has been a lot of research in the past that indicates that gender is the strongest predictor of infidelity, but none of these studies have been done on powerful women," Joris Lammers, of Tilburg University in the Netherlands, said in a journal news release.

He and his team analyzed responses from 1,561 people who took part in an anonymous online survey. They were asked about their amount of power at work, confidence levels, and perception of risks associated with infidelity.

More:

http://health.msn.com/mens-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documen...

• Doc 2011/05/02 22:59:33
    My Opinion
    Doc
    +1
    people cheat because they are dishonest.
  • lawlerskates 2011/05/01 13:02:13
    lawlerskates
    +2
    "People stray because of confidence, not gender"
    Take it from someone who works in the sexual harassment industry....I see it everyday. Women can be just as vicious as men. Women are capable of cheating, just like men. I really hate the overall assumption that a woman is always innocent in the situation when I've seen plenty manipulate and plot their way to the top. The best way I know how to describe it:
    Just because ladies don't have balls, don't mean we can't be dicks.
  • Paradox25 2011/04/30 14:14:09
    Paradox25
    +2
    Maybe I was on to something when I would say that quiet/introverted or shy guys/girls are the best relationship and family material. We have a society that seems to glorify and even encourage infidelity and dishonesty as well.
  • LadyBGood Paradox25 2011/04/30 15:29:19
    LadyBGood
    +2
    Quiet and shy maybe ok..but if a person wants to cheat they will. Granted the more money the more "popular" a person is the more exposure (no pun intended) he or she will have...the easier it would be to cheap..if that's what they have in mind. Have you heard people say...he/she wasn't the type to (fill in the blank)......but as human being we are ALL the type, it's whether we act on our impulses or not.
  • Paradox25 LadyBGood 2011/04/30 15:59:36
    Paradox25
    +1
    From my own experience, including describing myself here and others I've personally known introverted or less outgoing people are more likely to want to challenge themselves in other areas in life but are more likely to be content with a comfortable social situation since people like this do not get their energy or motivation as much from socialising with others unless it is for specific technical or intellectual reasons.

On the other hand the more outgoing and socially confident person is more likely to get bored after a certain amount of time with the same person/s since these types of people get their energy from being outgoing, letting the world know what they are doing and socializing. I'm just going by what I've personally seen throughout my life.
  • LadyBGood Paradox25 2011/04/30 20:32:11
    LadyBGood
    +1
    I understand what you are saying, sweetie. And I think we are saying the same thing but coming at it from a different direction.
  • Patriot Unit 2011/04/30 04:01:13
    My Opinion
    Patriot Unit
    +1
    Well, I say that if one is not in a secure and honest relationship, Then either partner is subject to cheat. I would also say that it is not always a case of infidelity. There are other reasons for one or both to stray. Often times if can be forgiven as it should be if you both care about each other. I know that does not always happen, And that is sad. Do I think it takes a woman being powerful. NO, I think it is a personal choice. I do know that if you don't have a strong relationship, then it will happen sooner or later either he or she will partake. Is it right, overall NO, can it be a mutual agreement, I think it can be. There are many reasons. But I would say that Medical reasons would justify the other straying. But just to do it because you can, is not a good way to go. Sex, is a human need, I think. And when one does not get it, because the other is not interested, medically incapable, or withholding it as a means of punishment it amazes me that the other bitches about their partner straying. On the other hand, if your doing it out of spit, or you just don't care about your partner and chose to hurt them, That is WRONG.
  • Gloria 2011/04/30 01:35:59
    My Opinion
    Gloria
    +2
    What goes around comes around.
  • LadyBGood 2011/04/29 22:59:13
    LadyBGood
    +2
    Why would it surprise anyone? Cheating is about feelings of inadequacy, always having to prove you are worth something....both sexes aren't immune.
  • Beccy 2011/04/29 22:50:28
    My Opinion
    +1
    I think cheating is about not caring about who you hurt because you are self centered
    +2
    Wouldn't surprise me at all.
  • Melizmatic 2011/04/29 18:46:11
    My Opinion
    Melizmatic
    +2
    'Absolute power tends to corrupt, absolutely', regardless to gender.

I think that many powerful people are under the illusion that they are totally impervious to moral and/or legal standards, and therefore think that they can get away with almost anything.
  • Kimmel ... Melizmatic 2011/04/29 18:50:54
    Kimmel Janitor of the PHAET
    +1
    Your thoughts seem to be getting proven more and more over the last few years.
  • Melizmatic Kimmel ... 2011/04/29 18:58:01
    Melizmatic
    +1
    Sadly.
  • wombat 2011/04/29 18:35:10
    My Opinion
    wombat
    +1
    Woman cheat as much as man if not even more often.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2011/04/29 18:31:21
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +1
    Just like yesterday regarding powerful men. If a woman is going to cheat, it doesn't matter what socio-economic strait they are from.
  • Kimmel Janitor of the PHAET 2011/04/29 18:29:56
    Kimmel Janitor of the PHAET
    I think it is absolutely possible. Ha!
  • chief 00 2011/04/29 18:29:52
    chief 00
    +1
    I think they will cheat but not as much as men.

2014/04/16 10:42:05