Power Grid Collapse: Hundreds of Millions of People in India Without Electricity: Are You Ready for a Major Power Outage?

Daryl 2012/07/31 18:00:00
***UPDATE*** Second blackout means 670 million people without power.

NEW DELHI (AP) -- Northern India's power grid crashed Monday, halting trains, forcing hospitals and airports onto backup power and providing a dark reminder of the nation's inability to feed a growing hunger for energy as it strives to become an economic power.

india power outage

Read More: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_INDIA_PO...

• Ang74 2012/08/01 13:26:47
    Ang74
    +4
    People are crazy not to have preparations for outages, disasters, and epidemics. There are a lot of scenarios where the safest place to be is to stay in your home. I work at a powerplant and everything on the grid is becoming digitalized and run by computers. A smart virus could crash the grid for days or months...Get supplies together now, because I promise you that if you don't have it and you try to take mine, you will be shot. Its not the outages I worry about but the idiots not prepared for them.
  • dave b 2012/08/01 13:05:51
    dave b
    We dont have anything out of the ordinary, but then again this isnt India or another country with power grids that arent as good as ours. Usually around here, we lose power because some moron crashes his car into a power pole, or the electric company does maintenance.
    It was funny though how a few weeks ago our wireless router died on a Sunday, and my wife started to look for another router right away because she "needed" the internet.
    People do forget that for most of us, there was life prior to all of this technology.
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2012/08/01 12:35:17
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +3
    I'd be ok for a few weeks but in no ways am I prepared for any longer than that. Guess I better hop to getting more prepared. We are not immune from this.
  • Ang74 Mr.Hood... 2012/08/01 13:31:34
    Ang74
    +2
    http://www.efoodsdirect.com/ The food is suprisingly good, just add hot water. And it lasts for 15 years...
  • Mr.Hood... Ang74 2012/08/01 13:32:35
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    Thank you!
  • TruBluT... Ang74 2012/08/01 17:23:24
    TruBluTopaz
    Interesting site. And kind of scary that I am even considering it.
  • Ang74 TruBluT... 2012/08/01 18:55:23
    Ang74
    +1
    Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it...It doesn't take much and you only have to buy it once (except for water because it has a shelf life) I made a list for a 6 month supply of food, water, supplies (medical and other things), and the means to protect it a few years ago. I keep that list with me and pick up a few of the items each time I go to the store. I have completed my list at this point and was not burdened by the costs of doing it. My biggest expense at one time was the food, but I saved up and instead of going on a weekend vacation, or blowing a tax return, I would buy a months supply of food. Now I can rest easy knowing my family will be provided for. We also happen to live in tornado ally so severe storms and blizzards can also take out power for days or weeks. It may be a bit scary, but at the same time it is smart. We won't have to fight for supplies at the store if anything ever happens. We can stay safe in our home. There is a hundred reasons to do it...I can't think of one reason not to. If you want more information on supplies, just message me. :)
  • TruBluT... Ang74 2012/08/01 22:22:07
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    Interesting. I'm seriously thinking about it. I just don't see much good happening in the near future.
  • dragon88 Ang74 2012/08/02 02:02:00
    dragon88
    You shouldn't trust any site that supports Alex Jones.
  • Marlene... Ang74 2012/09/05 08:14:56
    Marlene Wilkins
    TY for the link, and bookmarked for hubby. :-)
  • tom C 2012/08/01 11:52:14 (edited)
    tom  C
    +1
    Really it depends on how long.......

Obama has coal fired power plants on his list of bad guys...so our power grid could get overtaxed.........,
  • TruBluT... tom C 2012/08/01 17:24:21
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    Prediction: If this winter is bad in the Rust Belt states, where they have been so quick to ban coal fired generators, there will be blackouts and people will suffer. And nobody is to blame more than Obama. Be careful who you vote for.
  • Marianne 2012/08/01 11:29:40
    Marianne
    Probably not - we all need power for most of our activities - professional and private work, hygiene, health, food sector, communication, trains and other electrical transport means, and even leisure time.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/08/01 10:42:41
    Rusty Shackleford
    +4
    I am preparing to be independent of government run services.
  • Marlene... Rusty S... 2012/09/05 08:16:26
    Marlene Wilkins
    +1
    We are, and it's a good way to live. :-)
  • Marlene... Rusty S... 2012/09/05 10:49:08
    Marlene Wilkins
    'rusty shackleford'.....LOL
    Good name--I like it!! YES I know where it's from!
  • Rusty S... Marlene... 2012/09/05 10:58:31
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    I used to use my real name and image on this site, but there were too many nutcases and it's far too easy to track someone down these days.
  • Marlene... Rusty S... 2012/09/05 11:00:50 (edited)
    Marlene Wilkins
    +1
    No kidding!! Some years back I learned that lesson very painfully, bruised ribs, lungs, stomach....
    Home intruder, a stalker from the web, he had EVERYTHING right down to know when hubby was going to be leaving on a business trip.
    Lesson learned!!

I still get a kick out of the name though. :-)
  • JackoClubs 2012/08/01 09:49:42
    JackoClubs
    +1
    I have a generator that's capable of powering my whole house for about 10 hrs., without really noticing a difference. But since we'd only have a couple lights, the fridge and the TV on, we could probably go for a day or so with a full tank.
    Let me guess: India bought the Global Warming Kool-Aid and went "green", right? Not generating enough power to keep the grid up to snuff?
  • Devin Pederson 2012/08/01 09:17:19
    Devin Pederson
    +1
    LOL, I'd flip without my Internet and video games.

LOL, India has electricity?
  • Sophie 2012/08/01 07:12:44
    Sophie
    +1
    No, I can't say I am really prepared. I do have a few supplies and I know where they are at but I am by no means "geared up". flashlights and food supplies
  • D D 2012/08/01 06:28:16
    D D
    +1
    I want to get solar panels but they are so expensive. So are the battery cells. I also think about if it is a large outage, I do know the government can come and take any resource I have if they want it. They can take generators, solar systems, if I had a house run on alternative power they could take over my house and use it! If I got some money, which is unlikely as Obama is killing me, I would get panels.
  • twhiting9275 2012/08/01 06:05:20
    twhiting9275
    +1
    ok, only kind of.
    I have the laptop, I have gallons of water in my fridge (gonna have to have a HUGE cookout if it goes too long though). Got bread, I'm pretty sure I could survive a few days ;)
  • JERSEYDUDE 2012/08/01 05:00:43 (edited)
    JERSEYDUDE
    +3
    um no and neither is my country except for all the elitists which im sure are more than ready on our penny

CME
  • Marlene... JERSEYDUDE 2012/09/05 08:19:18
    Marlene Wilkins
    Let 'the elite' like the Bilderberg group lock themselves in their vaults.
    ...then we on the outside can weld the doors sut on the self-storing toxic waste. ;-)
  • Wulfdane 2012/08/01 04:54:49 (edited)
    Wulfdane
    +1
    Humans lived without electricity for over a million years.

The lights can go out and the supermarkets can go empty, I'll be fine.
  • JERSEYDUDE Wulfdane 2012/08/01 05:02:16 (edited)
    JERSEYDUDE
    +3
    humans have but those were different humans living in different times....the people today wouldnt know what the fk to do without electric, refrigerators, supermarkets, cars, etc. and all hell would break loose
  • Ang74 JERSEYDUDE 2012/08/01 13:29:22
    Ang74
    Exactly. Violence would erupt very quickly and you better be prepared to protect yourself and your supplies.
  • JERSEYDUDE Ang74 2012/08/01 19:33:46
    JERSEYDUDE
    its too expensive to properly prepare
  • D D Wulfdane 2012/08/01 06:29:54
    D D
    +1
    They were more self sufficient.
  • Stormy Wulfdane 2012/08/01 09:17:02
    Stormy
    me too !
  • firebird 2012/08/01 04:05:35
    firebird
    NO, not at all... I have candles , I have matches, I have a shovel to dig the hole for the outhouse. I have a very nasty mood when its hot and I cant get cool... So someone will suffer...... LOL I keep FIVE - FIVE GALLON water bottles filled full at all times for that exact reason. Plus the city and county water is practually undrinkable here ..
  • Mamaknows 2012/08/01 03:35:00
    Mamaknows
    +4
    Yes we are but my husband is a HUGE prepper...I am lucky that way:)
  • Z 2012/08/01 03:29:22
    Z
    +3
    Yup. Enough Food and water for 3 people for 2 years, solar powered generator, energy saving house tech, plenty of guns, and bullet proof windows to protect the house. I'm not worried.
  • prayer warrior 2012/08/01 03:22:22
    prayer warrior
    The last time I was in one was sevearl years ago when the gird in the east and midwest collasped. We could not buy gas and had to use candles. All cell phones and cordless phones went out. I had a landline that God and I still have one.
  • mae 2012/08/01 03:02:44 (edited)
    mae
    +2
    We average 3-4 power outages a year due to big tropical storms, bad accidents, and downed trees and powerlines... A Gas-powered generator, webber kettle, brickettes, and bottled h2o, and a chain saw are a good idea. Don't open your fridge/freezer but once a day--one fast one. We keep canned food on hand always. MRE's are the best=get them if you can.
  • Al B Thayer 2012/08/01 02:54:20
    Al B Thayer
    +3
    We have a whole house generator. But then I'm not living in India.
  • ChocolateThunder 2012/08/01 02:49:52
    ChocolateThunder
    Nope. My parents doubt that will ever happen to us.

Once I move, get my own place, I'll become a paranoid person... lol.
  • MlssCue... Chocola... 2012/08/01 03:17:54
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +1
    You'll do well, just have your safety kit ready to go...candles & such that is.
  • Chocola... MlssCue... 2012/08/01 03:20:53 (edited)
    ChocolateThunder
    +1
    Yep, a few weeks worth of non perishable food and water, first aid kits, a battery operated radio, long lasting flashlights, guns, candles, generators, and etc.

2014/09/02 17:17:27