Pot-Smoking Teen Mom Drives Away With 5-Week-Old Son on the Roof of the Car: Accident or Crime?

A pot-smoking teen mom accidentally drives off with her 5-month-old son strapped in his car seat on the roof of the vehicle. Even worse: The baby falls off the car in the middle of an intersection (he was still strapped in and unharmed). Nevertheless, sounds like a controversy to us!

Catalina Clouser, 19, was arrested on Saturday and booked into jail on child abuse and aggravated assault charges, Phoenix police spokesman James Holmes told Reuters. The infant is currently in the custody of state Child Protective Services, Reuters reports.

So what went wrong? "It appears the suspect put the baby on the roof of the car and drove off, forgetting he was still on the roof," Holmes said in a written statement.

And how could a new mom possibly leave her baby on the roof of a moving car? Police said Clouser and her boyfriend had been smoking marijuana in a park and left with the baby to buy beer late on Friday night. Officers stopped the car and the boyfriend was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence, Reuters reports.

But here's where it gets really bad. Clouser was so upset about the arrest that she drove to a friend's home and "admittedly smoked one or two additional bowls of marijuana," Holmes said. She left at about midnight with the infant asleep in his car seat, placing the child on top of the car, he said, and didn't realize that the baby was missing until she got home.

What do you think? Did Clouser make a mistake? Or should smoking pot when you're on mommy duty (and forgetting your baby on top of a moving car) be considered child abuse or even assault?

• Ryan Clarke 2012/06/04 20:09:38
    Crime
    Ryan Clarke
    +17
    LOWLIFE!!! She could have killed her baby because she was stoned on pot. I have no problem with people smoking pot. I think people should be allowed to do it in the privacy of their homes. But when you have a baby in your custody and possession, YOU DON'T DO DRUGS AND ENDANGER YOUR CHILD!!!

Anyone who voted accident needs to have their head examined.

• BonnieDeutsch 2012/06/05 02:08:43
    Accident
    BonnieDeutsch
    +1
    Please look at her face. She is 19years old with pink hair. She is still a child having a baby. She should no more have a baby to take care of than me, a little white dog !
    I want to know why she kept the baby and didn't put it up for adoption. And it gets worse,
    she's married. What kind of life are they able to provide for a baby ? They have spent their money on weed and beer. The best thing for that baby was the accident. I hope that
    the baby is put up for adoption. Just one more question. Where are the parents of these two teenagers ? I might read a story like this in a third world country, but here in the USA? If this girl isn't a poster child for someone who should have had an abortion no one is !
  • Phantom... BonnieD... 2012/06/05 02:22:49
    PhantomDream
    +1
    Pink hair has nothing to do with ability to raise a child, just saying!
  • BonnieD... Phantom... 2012/06/05 02:35:02
    BonnieDeutsch
    You're right. I was only trying to point out that she's more concerned about her hair because it takes time and effort to color your hair, especially pink. I wonder if she ever
    saved money to buy diapers, food, etc for the baby or was it all going for drugs and beer. Thanks for the comment now and anytime.
  • Phantom... BonnieD... 2012/06/05 03:15:34
    PhantomDream
    +1
    Not too much effort, ten seconds to apply, forty five minutes to let it soak while you do housework.
  • BonnieD... Phantom... 2012/06/06 17:47:43
    BonnieDeutsch
    I agree that it doesn't take too much time, but doing housework? I don't see that
    young lady knowing what "housework" means. I would be surprised if she knew how to take care of the baby (before the incident) which troubles me more.
    But you made a good comment and I appreciate it now and in the future, thank you.
  • angel face 2012/06/05 02:04:03
    Crime
    angel face
    Thats horrible. No one accidentally leaves their kid on the roof of a car. No one.
  • kotabear 2012/06/05 01:55:09
    Crime
    kotabear
    UGH People like her infuriate me. Who the hell are you to be having a child and claim to be responsible enough to take care of it, yet not even be able to take care of YOURSELF? Drugs? Late night drunk driving? Wow. Real responsible. Now she's going to raise her child to grow up and be the slum of the earth just like her.. and multiply like rats... Cool.
  • Kibbles 2012/06/05 01:51:55
    Crime
    Kibbles
    WHat a moron, smoking marijuana I can be kinder on but to leave your baby on the car while you're driving high, this idiot needs to learn how to get things together.
  • Azrael-In GOD we trust 2012/06/05 01:45:38
    Crime
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    +2
    Let's hope that baby gets adopted by someone responsible; obviously this person is not.
  • Dyonus 2012/06/05 01:33:44
    Crime
    Dyonus
    Accidental or not, it's child endangerment, which is a crime.
  • Lord Emperor of Dune 2012/06/05 01:33:10
    Crime
    Lord Emperor of Dune
    +3
    Be a drug-addled loser if you like (and yes, losers, marijuana is a drug), but if you can't put your baby before the zig-zags then you shouldn't be able to keep them
  • pdarkow 2012/06/05 01:29:25
    Crime
    pdarkow
    +3
    WTF this girl has no business having a kid and i sincerely hope that she gets the book throwed at her, loses the kid and I sincerely hope the baby is ok. She should be charged with DUI, Child Endangerment, Child Neglect, Child Abuse, Attempeted Manslaughter, and any other charges that could be possibly charged. This way she gets a nice long time to think about her actions in jail. I can not believe someone could possibly be this stupid and I just wish she could be charged with stupidity as well because as stupid as she is she would get a life sentence if stupidity was a crime.
  • BuggaBoo 2012/06/05 01:22:46 (edited)
    Crime
    BuggaBoo
    that's a crime. i don't think she forgot her child,she just didn't give a damn
    and besides that, she's a drinker and a drugged up careless oaf.
  • <3!Shezza!<3 2012/06/05 01:17:00
    Crime
    <3!Shezza!<3
    that seriuosly not kool
  • GoodEncounter 2012/06/05 01:17:00
    Crime
    GoodEncounter
    +1
    If she hadn't been smoking pot she probably wouldn't have spaced out and left her baby on the roof of her car. So, yes-she committed a crime. She's darn lucky that baby survived.
  • RainbowKisses(: 2012/06/05 01:15:47
    Crime
    RainbowKisses(:
    +1
    Its a crime period...
  • Bill 2012/06/05 01:11:34 (edited)
    Crime
    Bill
    +2
    I can't see one good reason for her to have bred. Just out of curiosity i wonder how
    many gov't programs little miss white trailer trash is getting money from.
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/06/05 01:10:26 (edited)
  • Kibbles ★~Docto... 2012/06/05 01:52:50
    Kibbles
    +1
    Funny how people want it so badly.
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/06/05 01:08:42
    Crime
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    +4
    VERY EXCELLENT REASON WHY DOPE SHOULD REMAIN ILLEGAL!! Dope and Booze, She is picture postcard of what a Mother Should Not look Like!! Throw the book at this dope head and throw away the keys before she can kill someone.
  • Kibbles BIG BAD... 2012/06/05 01:53:57
    Kibbles
    +1
    The name says it all, dope, if they make it legal they should make it illegal to leave your house while high. I think marijuana is ridiculous but I know many abuse, so they should at least have some consideration for others.
  • mizzSHADYgirl 2012/06/05 01:05:37
    Crime
    mizzSHADYgirl
    +1
    Thats discusting
  • m 2012/06/05 00:56:24
    Crime
    m
    +2
    I thought maybe an accident and then I saw her face
  • Call me Mark willya? 2012/06/05 00:56:20
    Crime
    Call me Mark willya?
    +3
    NO EXCUSES! that's not a soda you put on your roof, that's YOUR FLESH AND BLOOD CHILD! She was adult enough to have the child, adult enough to choose to smoke weed and even afterward head off to buy alcohol, I say make her face the consequences of her actions.

I had to pay a $250.00 ticket because my three year old daughter wanted to ride around the block with me while I test drove my newly repaired engine because I didn't put her in a car seat (which would have taken longer than the trip). I say the child gets a new family that doesn't use drugs or alcohol, Mommy gets some time in the can and never gets to see the child again.

I mean seriously look at the mugshot, she's STILL high and the only thing she's upset about is that she never got her beer!
  • Lady Ai... Call me... 2012/06/05 05:56:14
    Lady Aiyanna
    +1
    I know what that is like, I got my uncle in trouble in the UK by sitting with him on the passenger side and getting pulled over on the M1 with the cop telling me step out of the vehicle and put me in the backseat and said that is where you belong lassie you are just eight years old. My uncle got a ticket for it but cannot blame him, I was first kid he had ever taken care of and driven around. I agree with what you say. She is not ready to be a mum she just proved she got caught while playing the game of life and brought it to term only to leave it on the roof of the car. That child needs someone who can love and cherish its being not this person who cannot take care of her own self.
  • Lady Aiyanna 2012/06/05 00:55:15
    Crime
    Lady Aiyanna
    +4
    She is first of all on drugs, then showing her irresponsibility towards the life she brought into the world. irrespective of how upset you are the first responsibility is for the safety of the child and I say this as victim of Domestic Violence wherein I had the the Protective services checking my child out in schools and monitoring his behaviour etc. until the father was ordered to leave the family and stay away from us as a protective measure. He chose to abandon the family later.
    I was in depression under medication, working two jobs but never did I lose sight of the fact that I had a child who needed my love and care and spent all my time with him when I could and as an infant, well it was safety first for my child and then think about anything else and yes I was under depression medication back then too.
    No excuses when you are a parent, either you take care of the child properly or go ahead with life without the child. I have done that to the father with due permission from the rightful authorities and tax adjustments too but we are not divorced and yes, I fought my depression off totally with just changing my thinking and looking at life differently and not by smoking pot and drinking - don't do any of it and true to my vows too.
  • kolby.goss 2012/06/05 00:54:40
    Crime
    kolby.goss
    +2
    THAT GIRL NEEDS SPECIAL HELP! FAST!
  • Dannie 2012/06/05 00:53:15
    Crime
    Dannie
    +2
    What a stupid and careless girl. You have a baby to take care of, drugs and alcohol should be the last thing on your mind.
  • robbt1 2012/06/05 00:51:19
    Crime
    robbt1
    +2
    She should be charged with criminal stupidity above all else. That's almost the same thing as getting drunk when you had to drive your son around....
  • Cal 2012/06/05 00:49:09
    Crime
    Cal
    +3
    Child endangerment at the least, if not neglect/abuse.
  • Kat 2012/06/05 00:48:16
    Crime
    Kat
    +3
    She has no business having a baby if she is going to act like that.
  • Couri 2012/06/05 00:47:36
    Crime
    Couri
    +3
    Great just what we need another stupid little girl giving the rest of us young moms who actually take care of our kids a bad name.
  • k fleming 2012/06/05 00:47:21
    Crime
    k fleming
    +3
    What a bunch of lowlifes!
    I think people should be able to smoke what they want at home, but it still doesn't mean you should, especially when kids are involved.
    You can tell just by looking at her she is still 12 year old in a 19 year old's body.
    I really worry for my generation!
    “the purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.”
  • in vino veritas 2012/06/05 00:40:19
  • apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope 2012/06/05 00:35:15
    Crime
    apaтнeтιc lycanтнrope
    +4
    While she possibly didn't do it on purpose, she seems to not be responsible towards her child. Driving while under the influence, drinking alcohol... dude, you phucked right up.

There's forgetting your kid, and then there's forgetting your kid is on top of the car and then driving away in that car.
  • Michael 2012/06/05 00:31:34 (edited)
    Crime
    Michael
    +3
    triple whammy. First:felony-the baby could have been killed and there is no way of knowing if the child did not sustain head injuries that will not show up unless there are more tests done. Second:Why didn't the police arrest or prevent the mom from driving after being under the influence of drinking beer and smoking pot, which must have impaired her reflexes too if they would have checked her. Where they being too "sympathetic" and not protecting the baby?Third:At the very least child endangerment, she has no clue or concern for the safety or well being of her child.I am tired of these self indulgent teens.
  • GeminiWolf Michael 2012/06/05 19:12:35
    GeminiWolf
    While I don't disagree with you I want to point out that the baby is unlikely to have sustained any permenent brain damage. Those car seats are amazing. There is a reason they are called "orphan makers" in an accident. Often the parents perish while the kid comes out unscathed.

I'm by no means trying to excuse this girl for her selfish actions. I hope she realizes that while her son may be unharmed in a medical sence if she doesn't shape up she may create many other psychological issues down the line.
  • Jess 2012/06/05 00:26:56
    Accident
    Jess
    +1
    Accident, it wasn't intentional. But I still think she deserved to have her baby taken from her and she should be charged with negligence.
  • sally 2012/06/05 00:25:57
    Crime
    sally
    +2
    I hope the baby was taken away.
  • GeminiWolf 2012/06/05 00:20:30
    Accident
    GeminiWolf
    +2
    could it be both?

She obviously has a lot of growing up to do. This is why most young girls should not become mothers. However, whether we like it or not pot is illegal, and even if it was legal, it is not something she should be partaking in directly around her extremely young child.

Side note: her car must be awfully short or she must be very tall, because there is no way I could lift that clumsy heavy ass car seat onto the roof of my car in a way that makes it convenient.

2014/10/23 06:14:07