Pope Says Condoms OK in Some Cases: Do You Agree?

Related Topics: AIDS, Health, Church, School
It looks like the Pope is finally starting to live in the real world.

In a series of interviews that appear in "Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and
the Signs of the Times," Pope Benedict XVI says that condom use is acceptable "in certain cases," particularly to reduce the risk of HIV infection, AFP reports.

Benedict, 83, was asked whether "the Catholic Church is not fundamentally against the use of condoms."

He responded, "It of course does not see it as a real and moral solution. In certain cases, where the intention is to reduce the risk of infection, it can nevertheless be a first step on the way to another, more humane sexuality."

Until now, the Vatican had condemned the use of any form of contraception. In Africa last year, the Pope said AIDS was a tragedy "that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problems."

But now he says there are some "justified individual cases" where condoms are OK.

"For example when a male prostitute uses a condom, where this can be ... a first bit of responsibility, to re-develop the understanding that not everything is permitted and that one may not do everything one wishes," he says in the book, adding, "But it is not the proper way to deal with the horror of HIV infection."

The Pope suggests that the real problem lies with the abuse of sexuality.

"Becoming simply fixated on the issue of condoms makes sexuality more banal and exactly this is the reason why so many people no longer find sexuality to be an expression of their love, but a type of self-administered drug," he says.

He may have a point, but in the real world, people have sex in and out of love. Which is why the head of the World Health Organization congratulated the Pope for his comments.

"I welcome this position and for the first time, the use of condoms in special circumstances was endorsed by the Vatican and this is good news and a good beginning for us," Margaret Chan said Monday.

Given that the Pope leads 1.1 billion Catholics, it's certainly a start.

Read More: http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/afp/vaticanreligion...

• Disko Pickle 2010/11/22 16:40:59 (edited)
    Yes, of course
    Disko Pickle
    +19
    As you know, the Pope is God's representative on Earth, so everything he says and does is on direct orders from God himself. I for one am very happy to hear that God has finally caved in to public pressure on the condom issue and come to terms with the fact that we love getting our rocks off more than we love Him. This is definitely a good move.

• Carlo 2011/04/29 16:40:58 (edited)
    No, they're OK all the time
    Carlo
    Anybody who doesn't think so needs to have their head examined. I hear they can do wonders these days.

If your single and sexually active, and especially if your young and experimenting. Better safe than sorry. Your way too young to be making decisions about abortion or not, and surly for any stds

"Given that the Pope leads 1.1 billion Catholics, it's certainly a start".

Well I'll give him that, but the real tragedy is how long it took for this teeny tiny step to occur.
  • KeiranHiggins 2011/02/07 01:18:08
    KeiranHiggins
    I'm sorry, I respect religion, their gods and their followers; but I really don't understand how some people can take it so seriously. Come on! You shouldn't enforce something that has such little evidence. Just because some Hebrew wrote a book thousands of years ago doesn't mean its true.

Also, some believers (of all religion) say that other religions are wrong and their followers will burn in hell. One thing, some of these religions are so close and intertwined with each other. Just let them live their lives, don't try to convert them.

Some parts of the bible are so discriminatory to certain people that it makes me shake with anger. When some people in my community start talking bad about gays because their "God" says so, I try to make them realize that "how could it be a 'sin' when your God made them that way."

Now I am not talking about all people who follow their religions, but some of them just push it.
  • Flea 2010/11/26 04:18:42
    No, they're never OK
    Flea
    +1
    Not in public, not under your clothes, and especially not ok wearing them on your head....
    public clothes wearing head condom hat
  • Carlo Flea 2011/04/29 16:42:49
    Carlo
    Well in that case I would have to agree with all three.
  • sonofason 2010/11/24 01:30:38
    Yes, of course
    sonofason
    +1
    Yes. Sperm die every day all on their own. Am I a child murderer if I don't have sex every moment of my life, because I didn't give some potential child a chance to live. No way.
  • PatrickJLoveless 2010/11/24 00:02:23
    No, they're never OK
    PatrickJLoveless
    No he didn't. He said condoms are a lesser evil. I repeat, LESSER EVIL. They are still evil and not recommended. But if the choice is between getting a life-threatening disease like AIDS and wearing a condom, both are evil, but it is worse to get the debilitating disease according to Benedict.

Of course, the righteous path is and always will be abstinence. Condoms are not recommended or condoned by the Church or by Benedict. But the question of condoms or AIDS is like the question of "do you want to be poked with a sharp stick, or do you want your head chopped off"? Neither is desirable. But I'd rather be poked with a stick if I have no other choice.
  • Patrick... Patrick... 2010/11/24 00:06:09
    PatrickJLoveless
    +1
    You say the Church needs to modernise. You mean become as immoral, relativistic and materialistic as the heathens of old and the atheists and watered-down "Christians" of today?
  • Aurora Patrick... 2010/11/25 20:10:27
    Aurora
    wtf is so wrong with condoms?
  • Patrick... Aurora 2010/11/26 04:53:33 (edited)
    PatrickJLoveless
    What is wrong with ABSTINENCE from an activity that takes five minutes to complete (half an hour at best) and can cause you a lifetime of disease or give you offspring you may not be ready to raise for twenty years?

Condoms fail at least 3% of the time (and that's probably the premium ones). The cheaper ones (which most poorer people, such as the ones in Africa, use) fail 15% of the time. So 15% of the condoms manufactured are ineffective. And about 15% of people who use them will get an STD or pregnant anyway. Not very effective IMHO.

It's far more responsible and honourable to abstain from sexual contact if one doesn't want children, and there's no chance, 0% chance, of failure of abstinence from preventing STDs or "unwanted" pregnancies.

Although given the large influx of Latinos into this country and Moslems across the globe, it might be just as well that white folks ditch the foolishness of birth control and start raising families to stave off the threat of being overwhelmed by these immigrants and being turned into welfare nations or - Gott verbot - a Moslem totalitarianism.

Not to mention, as I've heard it, it feels better raw than with a rubber. ^.^
  • Aurora Patrick... 2010/11/30 05:47:25
    Aurora
    ok? But condoms reduce the percentages of people with unwanted children and diseases. And if people get STDs from someone else, it's partialy their fault for not making sure their partner is clean. There's still nothing wrong with a condom, the thing that most of the time protects people, in my mind. And that last paragraph made absolutely no sense to me, fyi.
  • Patrick... Aurora 2010/11/30 16:40:46
    PatrickJLoveless
    Latinos and Moslems raise larger families than white folks typically do. Must be a culture thing. I would also say it is a religion thing, because Latinos are mainly God-fearing Catholics, and Moslems, well...

To be continued...
  • Aurora Patrick... 2010/12/07 02:52:47
    Aurora
    OK dude u make like no freakin sense.
  • Patrick... Aurora 2010/12/07 03:09:34 (edited)
    PatrickJLoveless
    In order to replace the current population, each woman would need to have 2.1 children (in other words, one in ten would need to have three children).

Whites in America and Europe tend to have LESS than 2.1 children (around 1.4 to 1.6), while Latinos and Moslems tend to have MORE (3, 4, sometimes more children).

GET IT?
  • Aurora Patrick... 2010/12/07 03:27:26
    Aurora
    ok...and, what's your point??
  • Patrick... Aurora 2010/12/07 04:44:54
    PatrickJLoveless
    *facepalm* -_-
  • Aurora Patrick... 2010/12/19 23:14:01
    Aurora
    uhm?
  • Daryl 2010/11/23 20:50:12
    Daryl
    I am not a Catholic, none of my business.

I live my life and let Catholics live theirs.
  • Vieuphoria 2010/11/23 19:58:38
    Yes, of course
    Vieuphoria
    Well at the least the cult leader is doing his bit for his personal public relations. I say this is jest as no doubt someone will jump on me with abuse. But yeah.... The church need to modernise eventually. Hopefully the flock will follow.
  • wombat 2010/11/23 19:46:35
    wombat
    I dont actually care what he have to say.
  • EMO GIRL 2010/11/23 17:29:22
    No, they're never OK
    EMO GIRL
    +1
    you wid
  • kaitlyn 2010/11/23 15:44:09
    No, they're never OK
    kaitlyn
    +1
    no who the hell needs condoms haha they take the feeling away whoever uses condoms are weird
    No, they're OK all the time
    Of course they are OK!
  • Brenda 2010/11/23 14:58:28
    No, they're OK all the time
    Brenda
    YET ANOTHER CHANGE IN THAT FAITH. AT SOME POINT IT'S "THIS" THEN IT CHANGES TO "THAT". WOW! WHO CARES WHAT ANOTHER HUMAN BEING THINKS? USE CONDOMS PERIOD. THE POPE IS NOT INFALLIBLE SO WHO CARES. HE SINS, HE DIES (NEVER TO BE RAISED AGAIN). WHY ARE PEOPLE EVEN FOLLOWING HIM? HE DID NOT DIE FOR YOU.
  • LAAD Gunner - USMC 2010/11/23 14:57:09
    No, they're OK all the time
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    The use of condoms is always ok. They assist in the prevention of STD's and in preventing pregnancy and they are especially important for promiscuous teenagers. This isn't to say that I support teenage sex either, because I don't, but nonetheless it happens and will continue to happen so condoms are very important.
  • PandoraBoxe 2010/11/23 14:51:00
    Yes, of course
    PandoraBoxe
    It's about time the pontiff and the catholic church joined us in the realities of the 21st century!
  • Yoru Azenia 2010/11/23 14:07:09
    No, they're OK all the time
    Yoru Azenia
    There constantly needed cause you never know what someone may have pluss they prevent unwanted pregnancy thats all their is to it being christian (which I am) shouldnt violate your safety
  • EarthGirl 2010/11/23 11:23:48
    No, they're OK all the time
    EarthGirl
    +1
    I am Catholic but I believe that asking your priest about birth control makes about as much sense as having a toothless dentist!
  • JCD aka "biz" 2010/11/23 11:17:33
    Yes, of course
    JCD aka "biz"
    It's a step in the right direction.
  • mbithi.james 2010/11/23 11:03:52
    mbithi.james
    i don,t think use of condoms will increase just because the pope said so,the statistics will just be normal those who love them and those who hate them condoms increase pope sothe statistics normal love hate
  • Mark 2010/11/23 09:44:23
    No, they're OK all the time
    Mark
    There is never a time when it is not okay to use a condom. Some instances would obviously be odd, of course, but not bad. For example, wearing a condom under your clothes, just to wear one is okay, but pointless. Using one during sex is important any time you either don't want to take the chance to contract an STD or cause a pregnancy. It's nice that the Pope is allowing it in cases where a "wayward soul" might be trying to clean up his act, but disallowing its use is actually against the Bible, since it never says anything about not using contraception in the Bible.
  • mbithi.... Mark 2010/11/23 11:06:54
    mbithi.james
    do you think the pope will be will be influencing people to use CDS? no those who know the advantages of CDs knew it long ago
  • Mark mbithi.... 2010/11/24 07:37:45
    Mark
    What does music have to do with condoms? lol
  • mbithi.... Mark 2010/11/24 14:13:05
    mbithi.james
    it is abbreviation for condom
  • Mark mbithi.... 2010/11/24 19:47:17
    Mark
    Wrong, there is no abbreviation for condom. Plus, since this is a website, and not a text message or Twitter, shortening words just to shorten them with mostly unused abbreviations seems fairly pointless, and definitely would make it seem as if you don't want people to read what you type.
  • mbithi.... Mark 2010/11/25 13:44:19
    mbithi.james
    OK I'm sorry
  • mrdog 2010/11/23 08:38:52
    No, they're never OK
    mrdog
    Have you ever seen a dog wear one? then...never okay... bark
  • Mark mrdog 2010/11/23 09:46:08
    Mark
    Have you seen certain animals eat their mates after mating with them? Some do, so that means your wife can kill you after you have sex with her, because it happens in nature. (No, I don't actually believe this. I'm just pointing out why your statement is false.)
  • mrdog Mark 2010/11/23 10:34:57
    mrdog
    Thank you ....surely you know I joke? Bark
  • tea for... mrdog 2010/11/23 10:56:24
    tea for you
    well well Mr. dog so we meet again
  • mrdog tea for... 2010/11/23 11:16:27
    mrdog
    Who is this I am meeting again? Do you understand is?

bark

2014/09/02 02:35:28