"Plugged in, not charging" On my laptop...What does this mean?

SomersaultAlex 2013/06/03 23:27:42
Related Topics: Laptop
So, recently my laptop has been saying "plugged in, not charging."
If I mess with it enough it'll eventually start to charge but it's starting to freak me out. I googled it and everyone said that it could either be the battery or the actual charger....I know chargers are about $60 but how much would a Dell battery cost?

• beton.neme 2014/06/17 07:24:44
  • Professor Wizard 2013/06/04 15:48:17
    Professor Wizard
    It means.. exactly what it says.... that is it plugged in and not charging!

Meaning.. your battery is full, and no longer needs charging, BUT, you are plugged into the power outlet, and the computer is running off of that, instead of the battery.

but... your battery will lose some charge just sitting there, so every now and then it will show that it is charging, until the battery is full again, then go back to powered.

Just ignore it.. unless your % drops below 80% and it still shows that message - then there is something wrong.
  • Somersa... Profess... 2013/06/04 18:56:00
    SomersaultAlex
    no, I mean it DOES still say that if it's under 80....it says it no matter how much it is charged
  • Profess... Somersa... 2013/06/04 19:35:16
    Professor Wizard
    Oh my.. then you have either a bad charger, or battery.
  • Th8nos 2013/06/04 07:11:56
    Th8nos
    you could probably find a decent one on amazon for under $80. My suggestion is take it to Best Buy first, have them run a full check on it and let them tell you whats wrong then you go online and figure out what parts to purchase
  • Atul Tiwari 2013/06/04 03:01:10
    Atul Tiwari
    battery is charged upto 75%
  • themadhare ~IJM 2013/06/04 00:10:57 (edited)
    themadhare ~IJM
    Recent laptops often keep the battery charged at 75% for longer life. Click on the battery icon on the start bar for power options. One of the choices should be charger one time to 100% for use as a portable.

btw... that's what mine reads right now.
  • Somersa... themadh... 2013/06/04 00:16:41
    SomersaultAlex
    Okay. My settings give me two options:
    Dell - Automatically balances performance with energy consumption on capable hardware (this is what mine was set on)
    Power save - Saves energy by reducing your computer's performance where possible.
    Then both of those says "change plan settings"
    Do you think changing it to power saver will help my problem? I mean, my computer currently is at 100% because if I mess around enough with the charger it will eventually start to charge (but I'm worried that this will stop happening since it keeps getting harder & harder to start it charging)
  • themadh... Somersa... 2013/06/04 00:23:10
    themadhare ~IJM
    click on the battery icon, then select "more power options" On the window that pops up,
    select "Dell extended battery life options" On the new window, select "desktop mode" at the top. Then you can choose between extended and standard modes, or select the one time full charge. Another option at the top is "battery health" to see if your battery and charger are working properly.
  • OBEY 2013/06/03 23:31:59 (edited)
    OBEY
    If you laptop works without the battery inserted, then the unit is OK, but the charger unit has outlived itself, either that or your battery can no longer hold a charge.
  • Somersa... OBEY 2013/06/03 23:34:03
    SomersaultAlex
    well, when I was using it my leg hit the button that keeps the battery in & it came out and still worked....so that means my actual computer is alright? (Sorry, I'm just so bad with technology!)
  • BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET) 2013/06/03 23:31:10
    BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET)
    Sounds like a charger problem. Get a new charger for it and, if that doesn't work, the battery may need to be replaced.
  • lord of the eternal darkness 2013/06/03 23:29:08
    lord of the eternal darkness
    i think its the charger

2014/09/30 14:14:00