Physical pain or mental pain: What is worse?

RV ~ The Peacekeeper of PHAET 2011/03/11 22:37:34
Physical pain.
Mental pain.

• runningintriangles 2011/03/11 22:39:12
    Mental pain.
    runningintriangles
    +13
    Having experienced immense quantities of both, I can honestly say mental pain is worse. At least physical pain is real, you know you're alive, mental pain can leave you numb and feeling utterly devastated.

• RachelSmith 2011/03/13 12:43:26
    Mental pain.
    RachelSmith
    +1
    Mental pain by far. Mainly because mental pain can last quite a while, and can last longer, depending on what from, and physical pain can be cured, or heal.
  • sky blue pink - American 2011/03/13 08:58:03
    Mental pain.
    sky blue pink - American
    +1
    I'm going through some physical pain right now, after a few weeks it will be a blur hopefully,but
    mental pain is the worse because it will remain with you until youdie.
    Blessed Be
  • Cthulhu 2011/03/13 08:20:18
    Physical pain.
    Cthulhu
    +1
    I'd much prefer mental pain.
  • Lynn 2011/03/13 07:09:48
    Mental pain.
    Lynn
    +3
    I'd rather get tossed off my bike at 60mph AGAIN than relive some of the horrible moments of my life.
  • KingdomNow 2011/03/13 05:53:12
    KingdomNow
    +2
    When I want answers both appear to work with equal effectiveness.
  • gkirmani 2011/03/13 05:46:10
    Mental pain.
    gkirmani
    +2
    The worst is Mental pain. You can endure Physical but very tough to bear mental..
  • Kara ~~~ American Patriot 2011/03/13 05:37:52
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +1
    They both hurt like h>>l.
  • queen strange 2011/03/13 05:29:46
    Mental pain.
    queen strange
    +4
    physical pain hurts for the moment, bruises & leaves scars, and then goes away.....mental pain hurts in the moment, bruises & leaves scars, but never completely goes away because anyone can rip the scab and let the blood & tears flow again.....
    bruises leaves scars completely rip scab blood tears flow mental pain
  • xObeyMarlennx 2011/03/13 05:28:05
    Mental pain.
    xObeyMarlennx
    +2
    Physical pain heals on ihts own buhh mental pain sometimes nevah heals
  • atomikmom 2011/03/13 05:19:07
    atomikmom
    +1
    BOTH!!!! Are very painful!!!
  • TAZ-manian Devil- 2011/03/13 03:55:01
    Mental pain.
    TAZ-manian Devil-
    +3
    physical pain goes away eventually. mental pain doesn't always.
  • painted desert 2011/03/13 03:28:31
    Mental pain.
    painted desert
    +2
    I know that when I'm stressed out my physical pain is worse.
  • Me eats you nao x3 2011/03/13 03:20:02
    Me eats you nao x3
    +2
    you would never believe how many times i have tried to figure this out. i just can't decide. they both put you through torture. I hate them both and can't figure out which. i mean, if you have physical OR mental pain to a certain level, you just can't decide. it could be whichever one you feel at that moment. but physical pain goes away quicker than mental. i really don't know which.
  • Omni 2011/03/13 03:15:37
    Mental pain.
    Omni
    +3
    With mental pain, your scars are usually a hell of a lot more afflicting, and can possibly continue oozing for the rest of your life. But if I had to choose between 3rd degree burns that covered my entire body, or my parents divorcing (and this is just an example), then I'd have to pick the more conscious-ready option. Overall, it depends on the situation, but if we're trying the two equally, I'd support the psychological abuse as being the more crippling of the two.
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2011/03/13 03:10:36
    Mental pain.
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +3
    I think mental pain is way worse than physical... abuse... I have had both....
    Peace and Love.....always♥
  • Cherie Bomb 2011/03/13 03:07:54
    Cherie Bomb
  • belle 2011/03/13 03:06:44
    belle
    +4
    I have had some pretty bad physical pain, where I wanted to come out of my skin. mental pain can be just as bad but in a differant way
  • MaiVai 2011/03/13 02:22:32 (edited)
    Mental pain.
    MaiVai
    +4
    my class had a discussion on whether they rather have mental or physical pain, most of them said physical pain.
    But i for one have a different opinion, because my grandma had experianced both.
    She couldn't remember her own kids names only my grandpa's and she was old so mostly everything hurt. I was seven the first and last time i met her but i won't forget how much her back or legs were in pain or how she would stare into space wondering what she was supposed to do or whether she already did it. That, when she looked at me I always wondered if she knew me or not.
    It hurt my mom that she couldn't be there for my grandma's funeral.
  • Raemay 2011/03/13 01:50:05 (edited)
    Mental pain.
    Raemay
    +3
    Therapist once told mental pain is worse then physical because mental pain stays with you where as physical abuse doesnt but both are bad I have to say both do stick in your mind regardless and you will never forget either action.
  • David 2011/03/13 01:13:33
    David
    +3
    How much pain they have cost us, the evils which have never happened. Thomas Jefferson
  • wtxwoman 2011/03/13 01:06:31
    Mental pain.
    wtxwoman
    +2
    Having endured mass quantities of both, I think I qualify to say that physical pain is easier to deal with than mental pain. Both hurt and scar you, but mental pain is like a raw wound. It never completely heals.
  • Kara ~~... wtxwoman 2011/03/13 05:40:53
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +1
    I agree with that.
  • Megh 2011/03/13 00:05:57
    Mental pain.
    Megh
    +4
    there are pain killers for physical pain... mental pain has none and can last years .. it forces people to do things which you cant imagine ...
  • Shy 2011/03/12 23:38:05
    Mental pain.
    Shy
    +5
    mental pain cases physical
  • Lindy... 2011/03/12 23:31:34
    Mental pain.
    Lindy...
    +3
    I've experienced plenty of both (my first baby weighed 9 lbs.10 ozs - nuff said!)
    I have R.A. and suffer from flare-ups that sometimes leave me bed ridden for days.
    None of that can come close to the mental anguish of losing my youngest son at 6 months old.
    It's been decades since he died, but the pain of his loss is with me every single day of my life.
  • painted... Lindy... 2011/03/13 00:03:26
    painted desert
    +2
    I am so very sorry for your loss. My sister lost her youngest son at 9 months, and that was many many years ago and she/we will always hurt deeply. But you have to try and remember the time you had with him. Be it oh so short. He did something very special, in his short time here. I have just had my second surgery in Oct. for an RA related condition and have pain always too. So I know how hard getting out of bed can be some times. But hang in there and keep going. Smile when you can, even when you would rather cry. My husband is very ill right now, and has been for the last 3 years. Most of his time is spent in bed in pain and battling nausea. He seems so strong to want to keep going when at times I have struggled. I don't know that I would be as strong as he is right now. But it's something I just have to do. Bless you and don't forget to breathe.
  • Lindy... painted... 2011/03/13 00:17:59 (edited)
    Lindy...
    +3
    My husband is also very ill. He had cancer 7 years ago and had his right lung removed. He quit smoking just before that (he had pneumonia) and never smoked again. Still, after 7 cancer free years, he now has non small cell carcinoma in his left lung. Stage 2B. He is in Chemo now, but it's an agressive form of cancer, and I am desperately afraid that I will lose him this time. It will break my heart. He's a gentle, loving giant of a man and I don't know how I'll live without him. He tough, though, and insists that I'm not to worry, because he beat it once and will do the same thing this time. I pray that he's right! His heroic attitude makes me want to smile and hide my own pain, since he never complains or feels sorry for himself. Bless you right back, and I will be sure to breathe! I've been blessed with many supportive and loving friends who are always there for me and lots of people are praying for us!
  • painted... Lindy... 2011/03/13 00:25:53
    painted desert
    +3
    Lordy girl, my husband is on chemo right now too. His is rare blood and liver. So I can definately know what you are feeling. I worry all the time too. And he is the one holding on, saying it will be OK. Tomorrow we will celebrate 41 years together. I'm glad for every day we have together and take it day by day. Well let's hang in there together. I will be glad to add you to my friends list, and if you feel like talking and I'm here just shout. OK?
  • Lindy... painted... 2011/03/13 00:32:22
    Lindy...
    +2
    You have yourself a deal there, my friend! Happy Anniversary! Ours was March 5th!
    We celebrated 23 years of marriage.
  • painted... Lindy... 2011/03/13 01:54:46
    painted desert
    +3
    Lindy, sounds like we have a lot in common. Happy Anniversary to you too! Kiss the hubby a big one and hope to talk to you again.
  • jst2swt... Lindy... 2011/03/13 02:27:22
    jst2swtnsassy
    +2
    Sorry to hear of your loss and physical situation. But isn't it amazing how we continue on and somehow function on a daily basis? I hope you have found strength and happiness in your other children without substituting the love you had for your son. You are strong! basis hope strength happiness children substituting love son strong a mothers love
  • Tinka123 2011/03/12 23:24:43 (edited)
    Mental pain.
    Tinka123
    +4
    Definitely mental for me. Even labor pains were miniscule in comparison to the mental pain of losing my brother. So definitely mental, imo.
  • weirdb*tch 2011/03/12 23:13:57
    Mental pain.
    weirdb*tch
    +3
    it scares most because it hurts both in and the outside and that's what i'm going through right now
  • mello 2011/03/12 22:59:13
    Mental pain.
    mello
    +2
    Physical pain you can ignore, mental pain lingers and hits you at every opportunity. It's like getting a kick in the gut every five minutes.
  • Jana~ una chica loca 2011/03/12 22:59:08
    Mental pain.
    Jana~ una chica loca
    +2
    personal experience
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/03/12 22:09:31
    Physical pain.
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +2
    I'M VERY STUBBORN AND HAVE FORCED MYSELF THROUGH MENTAL PAIN.
    I HAVE EXPERIENCED HORRIBLE PHYSICAL PAIN SEVERAL TIMES, DRUGS CAN HELP SOME...BUT THAT'S TEMPORARY.
  • shinnis 2011/03/12 21:58:55
    Mental pain.
    shinnis
    +2
    mental pain by far is worse....mental pain can cause physical pain as well. So there you go.... mental pain mental pain physical pain despare
  • Lo_Ocy 2011/03/12 21:52:06
    Mental pain.
    Lo_Ocy
    +2
    mental pain stays with you and is very very hard to get rid of and it doesnt heal as quick it might not even heal.... But physical pain can heal in a few week nd u can take meds for it so yea...
  • Fluttershyfan 2011/03/12 21:39:29
    Mental pain.
    Fluttershyfan
    +2
    Mental Pain can cause physical pain.
  • ladygreensleeves 2011/03/12 21:07:10
    Mental pain.
    ladygreensleeves
    +3
    heartache and loneliness egh...those are the worst!
    heartache loneliness egh

2014/09/02 14:42:56