Pharmacy mixes up kids' prescriptions. Has this every happened to you?

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/03/04 05:56:32
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Children who may have taken breast cancer treatment medication mistakenly distributed by a New Jersey pharmacy instead of prescribed fluoride pills likely won't suffer any health problems, a pharmaceutical expert said Saturday.
CVS Caremark officials say only a few children ingested pills for breast cancer treatment that they mistakenly received, and company investigators are still working to determine how and why the errors occurred at the pharmacy in Chatham. The pharmacy has acknowledged improperly dispensing Tamoxifen instead of chewable fluoride tablets to children in as many as 50 families between Dec. 1 and Feb. 20.

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/expert-kids-likely-not-harmed-cvs-pill-...

• Bilingual required sucks 2012/03/05 18:15:50 (edited)
    Bilingual required sucks
    +1
    I have worked as a pharmacy tech and I know how CVS operates. They are the worst company around. They like to hire inexperienced pharmacy techs so they can pay them $8 an hour complimented by overworked pharmacists and this is the is the result. That company has been fined repeatedly for leaving expired food items, and medicine on the shelf including baby formula. The reason is that it is cheaper to pay the fine, rather than lose money in inventory and also they don't want to pay for extra help to manage their inventory. They have also been fined for re-selling medication that customers brought back which is against the law.
    Shop there at your own risk.

http://www.curecvsnow.org/ind...

http://consumerist.com/2009/0...
  • Kashee 2012/03/05 04:36:25
    Kashee
    +1
    I had a pharmacy give me a medication that was 4 x the strength that was prescribed. The same pharmacy also gave me a prescription that was not in the form prescribed. They didn't have tablets so they just decided to give me capsules. That actually was not a minor mistake. I changed pharmacies.
  • HippiesKnowAll 2012/03/04 22:14:20
    HippiesKnowAll
    +1
    I don't think so.
  • Piper 2012/03/04 20:22:58
    Piper
    +1
    That's disturbing. I worked as a pharmacy tech for awhile, and there were many instances of the pharmacists recognizing that a prescribed medication would not be safe for the person it was prescribed for though.
  • Archer ~ The Limit Break of... 2012/03/04 18:48:35
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +1
    Sort of. I got the right pills, but the label was wrong. Luckily, I know my pills - shape, color, size, etc... so I know the ones I got were right. But that label was very, very wrong.
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/03/04 18:23:07
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +3
    I read of another mix up for a 10 year old boy that had him taking methadone instead of a medication for ADHD. He died after two weeks of dosing.

Always check and double check the label and the contents.
  • Philo-Publius 2012/03/04 18:11:53
    Philo-Publius
    +6
    I can't imagine Tamoxifen being much worse than fluoride for children to ingest, however.
    hmmm
  • ♚Littlɘ... Philo-P... 2012/03/04 18:30:39
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +4
    No doubt. Fluoride is toxic!
  • Piper ♚Littlɘ... 2012/03/04 20:08:46
    Piper
    +1
    Yes, and I want it out my water! I fought it every way I could, but it happened anyway. That phosphate plant had to get rid of it's waste somehow, and they won.....
  • ♚Littlɘ... Piper 2012/03/04 23:55:29
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    Bastards.

Filter it out, if you can.

Flouride doesn't make strong teeth. It's a farce.
  • Piper ♚Littlɘ... 2012/03/05 01:11:35
    Piper
    +1
    I've looked into it, and it is more complicated and expensive to filter the added fluoride out, than many other potential poisons in our water. I am most concerned about the effects of fluoride on my small animal friends.
  • ♚Littlɘ... Piper 2012/03/05 01:34:19
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +1
    I understand. It's a mess.
  • Eddie 2012/03/04 18:03:50
    Eddie
    +3
    I don't see how they could have made the same mistake more than once. Most of the work is done by computers...you scan the RX and the bottle and it tells you if it is the right medication. Then the Pharmacist checks it. At least that's how it was done when I did my intern hours at Walgreen's Pharmacy.
  • susan BN-0 2012/03/04 14:56:46
    susan BN-0
    +1
    Thankfully no It has not.
  • Just me ♥ 2012/03/04 14:16:39
    Just me ♥
    +1
    I'm diligent about checking my Rx's and making sure they are the right pills. My pharmacy is really good about marking my Rxs to let me know if they are getting a certain Rx by a different manufacturer than previously so I know why the pills might appear different. I have been given the wrong type of blood before during a transfusion and that was rather scary.
  • hari 2012/03/04 12:12:40
    hari
    +1
    fortunately NOT but this alarms to check prescription
  • Pele Emerging 2012/03/04 07:06:02
    Pele Emerging
    +3
    As a matter of fact, a pharmacist once noticed a possible life-threatening drug combination. I'd told the doctor that I took Seldane for allergies. I was being prescribed an antibiotic, and the doctor prescribed the one which could have had potentially very dangerous results, had the pharmacist not noticed that I had taken that drug in the past. He questioned me and advised me to discontinue taking it until I was finished with the antibiotic.

So, a good pharmacist is a pearl past price!
  • kobidob... Pele Em... 2012/03/04 07:40:59
    kobidobidog
    +1
    Pharmacist are sellers of things made by what can only be described as sorcerers. What they have in shots, and pills can't be called food that's for sure. The kind of care I speak of is best for all.
  • Pele Em... kobidob... 2012/03/04 07:48:03
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    You can put your faith in witch doctors, but I've never known one to effectively cure the sort of infection I had.
  • kobidob... Pele Em... 2012/04/06 06:55:55 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    There are times antibiotics are needed.There is no doubt about it, but having a balanced nervousness system early in life can prevent a lot of ailments down the road. Atlas Orthoganol is one good technique www.upcspine.com. That is not your accusation. I have knows this care for over 10 years. I have learned a lot. I am not a passive patient. Useing a good acidophiles, and B complex after the antibiotic is a good thing to do.
  • kobidobidog 2012/03/04 06:33:18 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    Why trust sorcerers concocted concoctions that a water filter can't even filter out? They are put in white containers to give the illusion of purity, and color them to trick the mind to think of them to be as harmless as candy. The makers of those things are tricksters at their best.
    www.upcspine.com is what I suggest for everyone of all ages now. Do what the U,C,S only chiropractic practitioner tells you to do. Keeping appointments is important. Waiting for sysmtoms is not wise.
  • strawberry 2012/03/04 06:16:52
    strawberry
    +1
    No, plus I check prescriptions.
  • TheDude 2012/03/04 05:59:55
    TheDude
    +2
    The pharmacy is not the place to make careless mistakes. That is grounds for a lawsuit.
  • Eddie TheDude 2012/03/04 18:06:26
    Eddie
    +3
    Somebody screwed up majorly. There are several safety nets that failed in this case.

2014/10/23 16:35:38