PETA Rips 'Trollsen Twins' for $17,000 Fur Backpack: Are You on Team PETA or Team Olsen?

The Olsen twins have created another unbelievably expensive backpack -- and this time, they've managed to incur the wrath of PETA. The People for Ethical Treatment of Animals slammed the "Trollsen Twins" for the almost $17,000 fur backpack they designed for their fashion line, The Row.

"If it looks like a troll and acts like a troll, it's probably a Trollsen Twin -- or someone wearing one of their new $16,000 totes, which are made from the fur and skins of innocent animals," PETA said in a statement to E! News. "What the Olsens lack in creativity, they try to make up for in shock value. Sadly, it's the foxes, calves, and alligators -- who often have the fur ripped off them while they are still conscious and able to feel pain -- who pay the dearest price."

Despite the price -- and the pain -- stylist-to-the-stars Rachel Zoe called the accessory "next season's staple item." We're not sure how many schoolkids can afford an almost $17,000 backpack, but we guess they're out there ... Do you think PETA was too hard on the Olsen twins? Or right on the money?

• gunner FELINE ... 2012/07/04 13:38:17
    gunner
    Please forgive me, I must close for now. Family things to do. Thank you and hope to visit more.
  • FELINE ... gunner 2012/07/04 13:41:00
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    +1
    Ok. I wish you a nice day with lots of clean water .
  • Ev Rom 2012/06/30 07:10:22
    Team PETA
    Ev Rom
    +4
    Im against fur because of all the trees they have to chop down to make the protest signs
  • ShinyUmbreon01 2012/06/30 07:10:14
    Team PETA
    ShinyUmbreon01
  • The Lib... ShinyUm... 2012/06/30 13:11:18
  • sally 2012/06/30 06:46:05
    Team Olsen
    sally
    +5
    PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

peta demotivators
    peta demotivators
  • Latti I... sally 2012/06/30 07:10:27
  • BHGOzzy 2012/06/30 06:34:23
    Team Olsen
    BHGOzzy
    +3
    The ONLY PETA I like is People Eating Tasty Animals.

Because the "Animal Rights Activist" group of PETA actually kills thousands of animals per year, often unnecessarily just to "keep them out of the hands of humans". They're the world's largest animal extermination organization.
  • AdLib BHGOzzy 2012/06/30 15:33:05
    AdLib
    "keep them out of the hands of humans". Delusional!

A great majority of these animals are terminally ill, and have you ever seen what happens to an animal that has been caged for 12 years? Euthanasia is often the most compassionate and dignified way for sick and unwanted animals to leave the world..
  • BHGOzzy AdLib 2012/06/30 18:48:42
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    so thousands of animals PER YEAR, often healthy are "terminally ill" huh?
  • AdLib BHGOzzy 2012/06/30 18:55:20
    AdLib
    +1
    I don't know that...just asking you to provide some facts to substantiate your claim.
  • BHGOzzy AdLib 2012/07/01 03:04:21
    BHGOzzy
    +1
    That's a start. Not going to use the various blog sites that claim this data. They're blog sites.
  • Catgirl 2012/06/30 06:34:16
  • jackie 2012/06/30 06:06:32
    Team Olsen
    jackie
    +2
    "Trollsen" very mature PETA.
  • Firefly jackie 2012/06/30 06:12:54
    Firefly
    +2
    Amen, an'

Well Said ;0 )
  • tori 2012/06/30 06:05:25 (edited)
    Team PETA
    tori
    +3
    1) this backpack is UGLY! 2) faux fur would look just the same, so what really is the point of real fur items? To flaunt your wealth? While PETA loves to be extreme and immature, unless you need fur to survive, there's no point in it. Not for fashion purposes.
  • BHGOzzy tori 2012/06/30 06:37:49
    BHGOzzy
    +6
    PETA also loves to kill animals. Seriously, they have the highest kill record of ANY group, animal rights activists or not.
    PETA animal murder
    PETA animal murder
    PETA animal murder
  • tori BHGOzzy 2012/06/30 06:40:54
    tori
    +3
    Don't get me wrong, I don't support PETA! I just don't support fur fashion either!
  • BHGOzzy tori 2012/06/30 06:48:07
    BHGOzzy
    +3
    Awesome. And yeah, I don't really get the whole "wearing fur" bit either. Leather jackets, yeah I get that, but leather is a byproduct of manufacture of other products so isn't a waste of materials.
  • tori BHGOzzy 2012/06/30 06:53:10
    tori
    +1
    And the fact that someone would pay so much for a purse, first of all, and a purse made of an unnecessary material! Very sad.
  • BHGOzzy tori 2012/06/30 06:54:39
    BHGOzzy
    +2
    Heh. Well, I mostly posted that so people who are ignorant of just what hypocrites PETA really are can get informed.
  • tori BHGOzzy 2012/06/30 06:57:42
    tori
    Yeah but the bad thing is, most people won't listen.
  • BHGOzzy tori 2012/06/30 09:34:15
    BHGOzzy
    +3
    Most people, sure. But someone will, and that does make it worth it.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/06/30 05:59:06
    Team PETA
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    I absolutely HATE PETA... and, I kind of like the Olsen twins. But, I think fur is pointless and cruel (since the animal is generally just killed for its pelt, not used in its entirety). Faux fur looks just fine. I don't like seeing fur in high fashion, since that makes it 'trendy' and acceptable.
  • Walt 2012/06/30 05:45:41
    Team Olsen
    Walt
    +3
    I do not like the 0lsen twins. Their superficiality makes it difficult to like them. Just the same, I don't object to anyone owning a fur backpack, a fur coat, or anything else useful made from animal skins. That's what these creatures, which are usually bred in captivity, exist for.

As for animals "having the fur ripped off of them while they are still alive" as the article suggests, I seriously doubt that. PETA representatives should give some consideration to their own credibility before making absurd statements. Not everyone believes every stupid thing falling from the mouth of an activist.
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2012/06/30 05:35:27
    Team PETA
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +2
    While PETA has gone a little overboard from time to time, I've been on their team for a long time and will continue to be on their team to my dying day.
  • ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮ 2012/06/30 05:34:02
    Team Olsen
    ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮
    +4
    I never understood the meaning of "animal rights", what does this mean? If an animal doesn't know what it is then why do we give it to them as if they do? Besides, I would think another human, who could one day understand the meaning, should be given the "right" to live over an animal. This progressive world we live in does not make very much progress.

Personally, I think a "furry" backpack is down-right retarded. We should stick with alligator, crocodile, snake, shark, or seal skins. :)
  • Inquisi... ☮ Ron ☮... 2012/06/30 06:00:22
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    Hmm. How about a human skinned backpack?
  • gunner Inquisi... 2012/06/30 12:38:23
    gunner
    +1
    Sorry, I can`t resist. Would you like to donate ?
  • Inquisi... gunner 2012/06/30 16:12:18
    Inquisitve Kat
    Don't be sorry... that made me laugh. :-)
  • ☮ Ron ☮... Inquisi... 2012/06/30 21:59:06
    ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮
    People walking around like Quasimodo "hunch backs", nah! May attract more zombies. A lite thermal space backpack would be a cool thing though!
  • Firefly 2012/06/30 05:32:45
  • BlytheS... Firefly 2012/06/30 05:38:23
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +2
    Trappers are not fur manufacturer's. I'm glad your trapper friends aren't that cruel. I have friends who hunt and they are not cruel either. But, PETA is telling the truth about fur manufacturers who only want the fur and living breathing animals aren't going to stop them from making a buck. It's sickening, but it is true.
  • cjj ~ F... Firefly 2012/06/30 05:45:40
    cjj ~ FTGOP
    +2
    Watch this if you dare...
  • gunner cjj ~ F... 2012/06/30 12:56:26
    gunner
    +1
    I hunt and fish. I consume what I harvest. I have watched your video. No one could accuse those people of humanity. I value people above animals, however, these sink to a new level for me. It appears that they waste much time trying to skin a struggling animal, than if they just humanely killed it first. Ever look into their eyes? Not many have more than a flat look of someone who has no respect for life of any kind. So, why doesn`t peta go after the Chinese ? I don`t hear anything from any so called celebrity on tv showing their compassion and outrage.
  • cjj ~ F... gunner 2012/06/30 15:37:53
    cjj ~ FTGOP
    It isn't because it isn't there. I believe you are just becoming aware. The video was taken from the PETA site based strictly on the campaign against China's fur industry.

http://features.peta.org/Chin...

You are talking to someone who thinks it is better to eat honestly hunted game than industrialized meats. I do not hate the practice of hunting unless it is a canned hunt where the animals are basically domesticated inside a fence, baited with food and then someone with a gun sits and waits for them to appear. That is not hunting. (Well, maybe wussy hunting.) Ted Nugent does these hunts on his property.

My Dad made his second income on butchering game. He taught me no part of the animal should be wasted out of respect for the living creature who made the sacrifice. You are 100% right. Fur is not ethical. Maybe there was once a day when it was necessary to use the skins for shelter/clothing/warmth but they STILL used the rest of the animal for sustenance. With the progress of man-made materials it is now unnecessary in most parts of the world. Anyone aware of this practice is also aware that CHINA is THE leader in this atrocity. I hope you are now as well.

As for celebrities...take your pick:
    http://www.peta.org/mediacent...
  • kitkat42 2012/06/30 05:29:42
    Team Olsen
    kitkat42
    +2
    I'm not a fan of the fur backpack either, but PETA has been whacko for the past few years. Whomever is in charge needs help. I wouldn't side with PETA these days.
  • Michelle 2012/06/30 05:23:07
    Team Olsen
    Michelle
    +2
    Wow, I never thought I would side with them on anything. But it's PETA. I can't respect anything PETA does because it comes from idiotic extremists who think animals are exactly like humans. Wearing an animal skin does not equate to wearing the skin of a human.

Yes, I understand that the fur trade is full of cruelty to animals. But if PETA really wanted to make a difference, they would be trying to bite it at the source instead of barking to the Olsens.
  • LunarRain 2012/06/30 05:22:34
    Team Olsen
    LunarRain
    +1
    As long as they're not endangered i don't see a problem with it.
  • glendajb4 2012/06/30 05:13:49 (edited)
    Team Olsen
    glendajb4
    +2
    I'm not a fan of fur, but I'm also not a fan of PETA. They come across as childish with their tactics and they seem to shock and exploit more than they save and protect. I prefer ASPCA. It's not about them, it's about the animals. Yes, even with that Sarah McLachlan song.

I'm just peeved that the Olsens made a $17,000 backpack. I could buy a car with that money!

2014/10/23 09:42:18