'Perfect' Plane Seat Pinpointed: Where Do You Prefer to Sit on an Airplane?

These days—unless you’re flying first class—airplane travel is bound to be at least somewhat uncomfortable. But, getting the seat of your choice can make the journey more tolerable. And according to a recent study by Skyscanner, there is one seat in particular that passengers are desperate to claim.

6A, which the travel search site deemed “the perfect seat” on a standard airplane, is located by the window in the front section. (The study excluded seats with extra legroom.) Of those surveyed, 45% said that they prefer to sit in the first six rows and almost 60% said that they prefer to sit by the window.

40% of passengers said that when given the choice they opt for the aisle seat. Less than 1% prefer to sit in the middle seat. (Honestly, we’re shocked that anyone would choose the middle seat willingly!) 62% of respondents prefer an even seat number and 7% said they would choose the back row. Skyscanner proclaimed 31E, a middle seat near the back, to be “the worst seat” on the plane.

The site’s travel editor, Sam Baldwin, gave his thoughts on why individual passengers prefer specific airplane seats. “Anecdotally some passengers seem to opt for the middle section near the wings where they are less likely to feel turbulence while others want to be near the front for ease of getting off the plane, less engine noise or even to get a better choice of food available,” he said.

“The window seems a popular choice for those looking to sleep, especially for long haul flights, while those who take more trips to the toilet prefer to aisle so as not to disturb fellow passengers and the aisle is also popular for tall passengers looking to stretch their legs. Frequent fliers have also reported that the left hand side of the plane is best as the windows are off centre, allowing for wall space to lean on,” added Baldwin.

What about you SodaHeads? Excluding first class and seats with extra legroom, where do you prefer to sit on a standard airplane?

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/92231...

• Riku Xander 2012/06/13 09:51:37
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Riku Xander
    Never flown, so don't know.
  • SheWhoFliesWithDragons 2012/05/25 19:48:57
    Front section, window seat
    SheWhoFliesWithDragons
    As long as it's a window seat that's not by the wings, I'm good.
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2012/05/23 22:36:22 (edited)
  • 10sgirl 2012/05/07 11:05:04
    Middle section, middle seat
    10sgirl
    This is if I'm sitting with family, otherwise I like the aisle seat
  • mm61675 2012/05/04 00:37:23
    Front section, window seat
    mm61675
    or front aisle
  • wtxwoman 2012/05/01 06:36:10
    Front section, window seat
    wtxwoman
    I've always heard that a window seat is best and to be in the front of the plane. I've never been in a big plane, just the ones South West has, but I like to look out.
  • mm61675 wtxwoman 2012/05/04 00:42:30
    mm61675
    +3
    I love looking out, too
  • wtxwoman mm61675 2012/05/04 03:25:37
    wtxwoman
    I've only been on a plane four times in my entire life.
  • wolfshadow 2012/05/01 05:25:25
    Other (please leave a comment)
    wolfshadow
    Inside the black box...
  • Tennessee3501 2012/04/30 21:15:39
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Tennessee3501
    I want to be the next to last person on the plane. Sandra Bullock is right behind me. The captain rules that since there is only one seat left, Sandra will have to sit on my lap for the entire trip. The location of the seat does not matter!
  • Momma244 2012/04/30 21:06:13
    Front section, window seat
    Momma244
    WELL i ALWAYS try 2 get near the "COCK pit" i would LOVE 2 see me some airline drivers cocks!!!!
  • wolfshadow Momma244 2012/05/01 05:27:11
  • Aingean 2012/04/30 21:05:35
    Middle section, middle seat
    Aingean
    If I HAVE to fly I want a middle seat I don't like sitting right in the back by the bathrooms so I will go for the middle I don't like a lot of strangers behind me it makes me antys. If I can avoid flying I do, I hate to fly.
  • wpsark 2012/04/30 20:57:51
    Middle section, window seat
    wpsark
    when I used to fly and when you asked for a window seat while buying your ticket and you got your window seat. Seating is chaotic on planes these days, it just pisses me off and that's one more thing on my list to remind me not to fly.
  • motorlady 2012/04/30 20:55:46
    Other (please leave a comment)
    motorlady
    I don't fly
  • Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2012/04/30 20:15:43
    Middle section, window seat
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    +1
    This is usually where I always end up on a plane... lol
  • skyperkins1 2012/04/30 19:57:49
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/04/30 19:50:13
    Middle section, window seat
    Margaret Jacobson
    back in the 50's my father told me it was the best place to sit........close to the door ....could watch the ailerons when we ascended or desended in flight and landed.....NOW I prefer up front section window seat or first class.......sometimes anywhere on plane will do....
  • GaolBlaze 2012/04/30 19:33:41
    Front section, aisle seat
    GaolBlaze
    Like, the absolute very front, so there's no-one in front of you :D Or any aisle :D I'm really not too fussy :D
  • Tentimesinfinity 2012/04/30 19:24:15 (edited)
    Front section, aisle seat
    Tentimesinfinity
    Economy isn't bad, but I usually travel buissness unless it's a short distance.
    Bu I don't like airplane travel, it feels so gross. Not sure why, it just does. I'd rather go on a ship, or train. I prefer train.
  • Honeybuns 2012/04/30 17:37:57
    Middle section, window seat
    Honeybuns
    I have only been on a airplane once and that was when i went to florida. I was sitting by th window seat in the middle section.Even though the only thing i could see out the window was the blue sky and clouds. I like sitting by the window because you never know wen you ill see something intresting. But i dont like to be front section because your right by the front of the airplane .Thats where the pilot and the fly attendants are usually at . And i dont wanna see them. Also in the middle seat i fill to close in between 2 people. The aisle seat to many people can see you when they walk by.
  • Brian 2012/04/30 17:26:04 (edited)
    Front section, aisle seat
    Brian
    Window is okay for short flights, but anything over three hours and I need an aisle seat. International flights, especially. I need to stretch, go to the bathroom, etc., without worrying about waking people up. I've been on so many flights I could care less about the view, and I can't fall asleep on planes anyway.
  • k fleming 2012/04/30 17:22:07
    Other (please leave a comment)
    k fleming
    In the cockpit.
  • bozo 2012/04/30 16:59:12 (edited)
    Other (please leave a comment)
    bozo
    +3
    thanks to the muslim extreamist and the TSA hassling passengers I would rather drive.
    the air lines have made flying not fun anymore. small seats, no leg room and fat people sitting next to me taking up my space, flying today is more like a cattle drive than fun.

TSA seems to be too stupid or politically correct to see the muslims are the ones they should be screening. Yea I know what your going to whine now, profiling ?

Look if your duck hunting your really wasting your time tracking or watching elephants, ya should be tracking DUCKS which is you objective. yer wasting your time and tax dollars checking out nuns,babies, grandmothers etc etc.

Not all muslims are terrorist but all terrorist are muslims so lets make two lines at the airport.

One line with tsa nonesense to check anyone with a muslim name, passport or papers from any muslim country,or is comming from a muslim country. Lets have them pay the cost of TSA inspections.

If the muslim community doesn't like that approach, then they need to become proactive and warn the world about the nut cases who are planning attacks
    The also need to publically denounce terrorism. Muslims you can't have it both ways you want to be accepted and part of the world then join us, if not go back to mecca or where ever and leave us alone,

American...&

American peoples did not bring down air planes , it was muslims so let grand ma and the kids wizz through the line and make the people from who the terrorist come from pay the cost & time
  • Gangste... bozo 2012/04/30 20:13:15
    Gangstersteve1993
    +1
    I rather drive too :) to be Frank then terrorist SOB's nearly put me off on even want to go to another country by plane :(
  • Quazar 2012/04/30 16:12:03
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Quazar
    I like the exit rows because you get more leg room. I prefer the aisle seat.
  • Metaldane 2012/04/30 15:26:34
    Back section, window seat
    Metaldane
    I hate sitting up front I like the back where nobody bothers you as much
  • Purebread#1 2012/04/30 15:20:04
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Purebread#1
    Anyplace by an emergency exit in an aisle seat or window seat. Aisle seat so I can get up easy & window seat if I'm on a long flight so I can window watch and go to sleep easier if need be.
  • KoAm 2012/04/30 14:34:41
    Other (please leave a comment)
    KoAm
    Exit row!
  • Diamond Girl 2012/04/30 13:48:10
  • ReconMa... Diamond... 2012/04/30 20:03:32
  • Guido 2012/04/30 13:45:59
    Front section, aisle seat
    Guido
    Anywhere in the front is fine...I can be the last on and first to get off...
  • smitty 2012/04/30 13:32:14
    Other (please leave a comment)
    smitty
    Anywhere other than next to the dude whose rolls flop into my seat.
  • Gordon 2012/04/30 13:31:00
    Middle section, aisle seat
    Gordon
    I would select an aisle seat in the middle section for a slightly smoother flight, hopefully reducing fright. LOL! male flight steward
  • Jim Lewis 2012/04/30 13:21:14
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Jim Lewis
    +1
    Emergency exit.. it has most foot room. Near the window
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/30 13:02:48
    Front section, aisle seat
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    The one not over the wing with the metal thing that cramps your legs up. I flew home from Asia that way, unable to stretch my (short) legs and with the woman in front of me with seat fully reclined. It got so bad I asked for another seat. They said no, then I got out of the seat and refused to get back in unless they made the lady move her seat up a little and THEN they gave me another seat. What a flight from hell that was.
  • sweet silver 2012/04/30 12:59:47
    Front section, aisle seat
    sweet silver
    IM GONNA SIT IN THE AISLE IN THE FRONT SO I CAN BE RIGHT THERE BY THE EXIT JUST ENCASE THIS HAPPENS

AIR PLANE CRASH
  • Happy PJ 2012/04/30 12:30:31
    Middle section, window seat
    Happy PJ
    Suppose to be the safest spot on the plane...I think if crashed there are no safe spots, lol
  • baxter 2012/04/30 12:21:34
    Back section, window seat
    baxter
    IT seam like you are on the plane longer
  • Schläue~© 2012/04/30 11:52:32
    Other (please leave a comment)
    Schläue~©
    I'm that 7% who likes the last row window, next to the restrooms, galley and door.
    I'm not in a big hurry to exit after arriving at a destination but would be one of the first out on a 'non-scheduled' abrupt stop.

2014/12/20 03:48:39