Panhandler Arrested Making $60,000: Legalize Begging?

Fef 2012/07/23 16:00:00
Shane Warren Speegle broke the law in Oklahoma City by asking people for money. Soliciting in public requires insurance and a permit. Mr. Speegle told the arresting police officer that he would pay for a $200 permit for the day because begging pays well. How well? Better than a job. Speegle said, "I'm lazy, and I made $60,000 doing this last year. Why would I go get a job?"

Legalizing panhandling would allow people like Mr. Speegle to earn money instead of collect welfare, particularly during this recession. Some people like Mr. Speegle don't know the process or feel "too lazy" to apply for a permit and jump through a city's regulatory process of public solicitation.

On the other hand, legalized begging could increase public nuisance. Legalization could encourage more people to beg on street corners or even go door-to-door in residential neighborhoods. Laws against begging protect the public and other beggars from aggressive, competitive beggars.

KOCO.COM reports:
A man arrested on suspicion of panhandling in Oklahoma City told officers there was no point in getting a job, because he made "$60,000" last year.

arrested suspicion panhandling oklahoma city told officers job 60000 year

Read More: http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/okc/Panhandl...

• Nimitz 2012/07/22 04:35:58
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Nimitz
    +19
    Panhandling is a CONSENSUAL transaction between beggar and benefactor. It's none of the government's phucking business.

• krayzrick actor44 2012/07/24 19:54:56
    krayzrick
    there ya have it...
  • Rex 2012/07/24 19:07:36
    No, don't legalize it!
    Rex
    I work in an area where there is LOTS of panhandling. And these guys are very agressive. There are some stop lights that I don't like to stop at - even in the middle of day because of these greedy creatures. If it's legalized than it will come to a place near you!
  • wpsark 2012/07/24 18:18:09
    No, don't legalize it!
    wpsark
    he looks like hannibal the cannibal...don't criminalize begging, after all, don't we have freedom of speech? To ask someone for money falls under freedom of speech..to constantly beg someone is harrassment...so there's a fine line there
  • teigan 2012/07/24 17:59:45
    No, don't legalize it!
    teigan
    I don't give money. I carry snack bars and water along with a card that directs them to a mission they can go to for a hot meal. These people that are too lazy to work just take from those that are truley in need. Where I spend my winters there are homeless men that are alway around, some appear to be vets. They don't beg for money, they collect cans and take them to the recycling machine and get the money for food. One in a wheelchair stopped when I dropped an earring that broke and he had glue with him, he fixed my earring for me. I gave him some money and he asked me why I did that, he didn't ask for any. I told him that he was kind enough to help me so I wanted to help him in return. Now I carry some empty cans so that I can give them to him when I see him.
  • the fuze 2012/07/24 17:08:05
    No, don't legalize it!
    the fuze
    Not because I don't believe in helping those in need... just doing it through the proper channels.
  • actor44 the fuze 2012/07/24 19:20:09
    actor44
    If you mean by proper channels the gov. you now have created more none wealth producing ceatures living off the producers!
  • the fuze actor44 2012/07/25 12:36:44
    the fuze
    +1
    Nope, not what I meant. Find effective organizations to give your time/money to, be it a soup kitchen, outreach programs, etc. They are out there, you just have to look.
  • Fashionable60s 2012/07/24 17:07:41 (edited)
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Fashionable60s
    +2
    Since only 50% of Americans actually pay taxes, yes, let them be required to file their "earnings" on their 1040. We need to raise money for all the (free) entitlements that he and many others are claiming.
  • Angie 2012/07/24 16:42:36
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Angie
    +1
    We should be spending our tax dollars on things that are more important. Going after the homeless and panhandlers is a waste of money that could be going towards dangerous criminals, like murderers and rapists. Making it illegal doesn't stop it anyway. Prohibition doesn't work, it makes things worse.
  • Miss Smish 2012/07/24 16:36:05
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Miss Smish
    +2
    legalize it and stop wasting your dollar on scum who dont deserve it! one time i was getting gas and saw a truck drive find a piece of cardboard out of the trash and plant his fat ass on the corner of the express way and begged people for money. I saw people giving him money all day. tisk tisk to people that give these beggers money.
  • Phil 2012/07/24 16:20:53
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Phil
    +1
    Special interest groups beg for money all the time so, why is it a big deal if this man happens to be more successful at it.
  • Fredrick House 2012/07/24 15:43:09
    No, don't legalize it!
    Fredrick House
    +2
    And while you are at it make random drug testing mandatory for Social Welfare and Food Stamp Recipients. If children need to be fed, feed them at soup kitchens. If panhandlers need to be fed, feed them at rescue missions. Stop paying people to misbehave.
  • Z 2012/07/24 15:08:13
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Z
    +2
    If he files to pay taxes, he should be free to do so. He isn't robbing people of their money, they are giving it to him of their own free will.
  • Ozzyboy 2012/07/24 14:47:19
    No, don't legalize it!
    Ozzyboy
    Although listening to lobbyists and congress, you'd think it is legal. Did this guy pay taxes on all that money and does he collect any government help? We already have enough people begging for our money and getting it.
  • carolynchesterthedancer 2012/07/24 14:21:05
    No, don't legalize it!
    carolynchesterthedancer
    I did not realize that it was against the law and I understand if you need money and are homeless, but as in this case, he was making pretty good money, more than I make! So I'm a single mom, living paycheck to paycheck and self supporting my 16 year old son. How do you think I feel, when I'm at a gas station driving an old car, thinking about how much gas I can afford to put in. And here some lady, with her hair done real nice, nice clothes, new SUV, and nails well manicured, and she has the balls to ask me for money!! Change your expensive habits and way of living and come down to earth like the rest of us.
  • actor44 carolyn... 2012/07/24 19:24:46
    actor44
    No one should more than you should they?
  • carolyn... actor44 2012/07/24 20:56:51
    carolynchesterthedancer
    I'm not sure what you are asking me, but I don't think it's right to ask for money from strangers. Especially if you look like you make more and have nicer things. I live a moderate life, not because I want to, but because I live the lifestyle that I can afford. Thanks for the reply : )
  • actor44 carolyn... 2012/09/25 02:20:58
    actor44
    After reading my reply to you I am not sure either,must have been thinking faster than I can peck stuff out on this thing. Now if you do not think it is right then dont do it.But if others do this is not yours or my concern.
  • carolyn... actor44 2012/09/29 17:46:58
  • john doe 2012/07/24 14:18:19
    Yes, legalize begging!
    john doe
    +1
    Isn't that what the government is for? They make people poor then outlaw the only means of income for them, making people even more dependent on government.
  • Wahvlvke 2012/07/24 14:17:07
    No, don't legalize it!
    Wahvlvke
    Hell ... we had a guy here in Atlanta who made over $100,000.00 a year and that was about 20 years ago.
  • actor44 Wahvlvke 2012/07/24 19:27:18
    actor44
    We have plenty of laws now to impede people from making money!
  • Wahvlvke actor44 2012/07/25 01:50:16
    Wahvlvke
    +1
    The deal is ... if we allow politicians to legalize it I'm sure they will regulate it to the point it will do no good for the panhandlers. More power to them ... the panhandlers that is.
  • Kingarthurup 2012/07/24 14:17:02
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Kingarthurup
    +2
    I believe it is the Obama plan
  • Semper Fi 2012/07/24 13:41:52
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Semper Fi
    +2
    The beggars in Congress would appreciate it.
  • Aurora 2012/07/24 13:39:25
    No, don't legalize it!
    Aurora
    I have to ask is it illegal now?
  • smilinbobs 2012/07/24 13:29:45
    Yes, legalize begging!
    smilinbobs
    +1
    Begging has been legal for thousands of years and many people make millions tax free begging like Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, Billy Graham, just to name a few.
  • Invader_Xion 2012/07/24 12:58:39
    No, don't legalize it!
    Invader_Xion
    +1
    I hate panhandlers more than any other public nuisance, because they don't just sit there where I am from. They like to come over to your car because they sit at the stop lights waiting for when you HAVE to stay sitting there due to the light being red. More than once I've had to tell those bastards to back the hell up or I was going to run them over ROFL.

I don't support panhandling in ANY way shape or form. And if I was in a desperate situation for money, I would never turn to begging.

Beggars get ostracized.
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/07/24 12:58:38
    No, don't legalize it!
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +2
    This kind of behavior needn't be anymore encouraged and accepted than it already is.
  • cheshirewayne 2012/07/24 12:01:31
    Yes, legalize begging!
    cheshirewayne
    legalize it, tax it. The math is simple. If you have a street corner that 5000 cars pass an hour, and 1% of the cars give you a dollar, you've made $50/hr. That's better than most jobs.
  • Michael Mcconnell 2012/07/24 11:37:40
    No, don't legalize it!
    Michael Mcconnell
    +1
    The only people who support bums are those who live in areas with no bums. San Francisco is god awful. You will hear 'spare change' minute after minute. It's the only town that you actually need an iPod.
  • Sherlock Dog BL - a Gazillion 2012/07/24 10:55:00 (edited)
  • C. C. Rider 2012/07/24 10:49:17 (edited)
    Yes, legalize begging!
    C. C. Rider
    +3
    I thought begging already had been made legal

lobbyist
  • ray 2012/07/24 10:45:28
    No, don't legalize it!
    ray
    +1
    Why create a law one way or the other ?
    There are already laws for disturbing the peace and public nuisance.
    Soliciting money does not need a law.
  • Karl 2012/07/24 09:59:06
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Karl
    +1
    I don't really care. I don't give money to them anyways.
  • Marianne 2012/07/24 09:36:34
    No, don't legalize it!
    Marianne
    +1
    Rather allow people to work for social organisations and earn their life decently - there would be enough to do.
  • ktmg 2012/07/24 07:25:34
    Yes, legalize begging!
    ktmg
    +4
    We are all going to be begging soon if our government has its way.
  • sean 2012/07/24 07:16:15
    Yes, legalize begging!
    sean
    +2
    were all going to be begging for a loaf of bread, or a scrap of meat pretty soon, when they finally admit we are bankrupt, but thats want the federal reserve corporation and all the spending on wars was suppose to do, it was designed to bankrupt america, while making a few illumanalti families TRILLIONAIRES..and i'm sure we will be taxed on the loaf of bread and that scrap of meat, thrown to us..like a dog, fighting for a bone..it will be the end of social security and welfare, the 2.5 trillion surplus that should be in the social security trust, was used for the very few to hide in some hole for a few years, while we devour one another for food, and when they think its over and the smell of rotting flesh is gone from the air, like a rat looking for cheese in the middle of the night, they will pop their fuzzy little heads up from their rat hole..and SNAP..the rat trap closes on their fuzzy little necks.
  • JayLynx 2012/07/24 06:57:05
    Yes, legalize begging!
    JayLynx
    +3
    People give money because they want to, it satisfies their poor sense of justice.
  • Broddy 2012/07/24 06:53:27
    Yes, legalize begging!
    Broddy
    +2
    Begging already is Legal, our Politicians do it on a daily basis to run for elections our church's do it and call it a tax from god,Charity's do it and are only required to spend 20% of what they receive on the charity they claim they are collecting for like feed the children or PETA for that matter, so why not let some private citizen ask for a hand out too you still have the right to ignore or just say no get a job you bum!

2014/11/25 17:39:58