Owners Throw $5,000 Wedding for Their Dogs: Adorable or Ridiculous?

The cost of a human wedding is sky-high these days, with Americans typically spending more than $27,000 on their big day. So would you really want to spend another $5,000 so your dog could tie the knot? Well, that's just what Palm Desert, Calif., residents Ernie Rubin and Ann Carter did for their pups last Sunday.

Rubin and Carter forked over five grand so their dogs, bride Scruffy Rubin and groom Snickers Carter, could get hitched at the Palm Desert Resort Country Club in front of more than 100 guests, The Desert Sun reports. No detail was spared. The pups had a wedding cake, open bar, reception, live band and "priest" performing the vows. The wedding party consisted of a ring bearer, flower boy, groomsman and usher/security, and Scruffy wore a custom couture dress, leash and veil, while Snickers sported a doggie tuxedo.

Does this canine wedding sound like a giant waste of dough? This might make you feel better: In lieu of gifts, Rubin and Carter asked for donations to benefit the Orphan Pet Oasis Humane Society of the Desert in North Palm Springs. At least some part of this extravagant wedding went to a good cause...

• Billy Joe Bob 2012/04/27 16:35:11
    Ridiculous
    Billy Joe Bob
    +2
    wacko jacko only in AMERICA
  • amazinggrace 2012/04/27 16:21:45
    Ridiculous
    amazinggrace
    +3
    I wish I had five thousand dollars. That is just rediculous
  • Sandman366 2012/04/27 16:20:38
    Ridiculous
    Sandman366
    +3
    Those dogs are thinking "Wtf are these people doing?"
  • team impartial 2012/04/27 16:10:24
    Ridiculous
    team impartial
    +3
    This is honestly one of the most outrageous things I've ever seen! The dogs are not even aware of what is going on, marriage is sacred!
  • The Black Dagger 2012/04/27 16:04:00
    Adorable
    The Black Dagger
    +4
    Probably should have thrown an undecided in there.

Well, I think if folks want to spend the money they "EARNED" (not given to them by some government bureaucracy) on stupid stuff to make themselves happy, well then I say go for it.

My favorite quote: "Money may not be able to by me happiness, but I can sure as hell afford my misery."

And whom is anyone in particular on here subject to be the master of spending one's money? I have financial questions. You'll need to know something about stocks and trading first.

I can point out a lot of folks who think they are the master of spending MY money.
  • JayLynx 2012/04/27 15:57:03
    Ridiculous
    JayLynx
    +1
    Excessive. Dogs are not people! They deserve our love and respect, but treat them like persons is not natural. But it is not my money, so...
  • politicaljunkie 2012/04/27 15:55:46
    Ridiculous
    politicaljunkie
    +1
    Since the invites had said "In lieu of gifts please make a donation to the Orphan Pet Oasis Humane Society" and people actually did, I could be inclined to accept it as a worth while event.
  • Swan Eshdeh 2012/04/27 15:43:51
    Ridiculous
    Swan Eshdeh
    +2
    what the poor around the world will think ??? fear god!!!!
  • TheNightFly 2012/04/27 15:37:49 (edited)
    Ridiculous
    TheNightFly
    +2
    It's insulting. $5k would totally change my life right now- buy me a used car.

But this wedding probably involved some common folk who got the $5k split among them.
  • prosperhappily 2012/04/27 15:30:54
    Ridiculous
    prosperhappily
    +6
    It's their money. But, I personally think it's moronic & wasteful. You could feed a lot of people with $5,000.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/04/27 15:30:17
    Ridiculous
    Margaret Jacobson
    +4
    These people that have that kind of money only have to look around, they will find a MILLION other things to give money to such: job training to unemployed or under employed, homeless, rides for vets, food panrties, there are organizations that try to outfit people for job success, how about helping with gas & electric bills (needy), transportationfor handicapped, need I say more ??? LOOK AROUND NOT HARD TO FIND A PLACE TO THAT NEEDS HELP !!!!
  • ehrhornp 2012/04/27 15:22:20
    Ridiculous
    ehrhornp
    +1
    Lot better use one could use $5000 for.
  • Tasine 2012/04/27 15:21:16
    Ridiculous
    Tasine
    +4
    Well, at least now we know who does NOT care about the homeless and starving children. That $5000 would buy quite a few decent meals for those out of work.
  • Duane Freemantle 2012/04/27 15:18:27
    Ridiculous
    Duane Freemantle
    +2
    Beyond Ridiculous
  • Pedalpusher 2012/04/27 15:03:15
    Ridiculous
    Pedalpusher
    +3
    $4000. of that could've been spent on a needy organization like ASPCA, and the $1000. wedding would've still been ridiculous!!
  • Pedalpu... Pedalpu... 2012/04/27 15:11:55 (edited)
    Pedalpusher
    PS/ I do give monthly out of automatic withdrawal to the HSUS (Humane Society) plus all the times I give at the counter at Petsmart and Petco. I have two dogs and two birds and love my pets dearly, but I'd never ever think of spending that kind of money on something so stupid when you could help so many! I also monthly support an organization that helps poor and needy children around the world. It's not much but I'd rather do good with that money!
  • Tasine Pedalpu... 2012/04/27 15:23:07
    Tasine
    Oooh, please not ASPCA. Please to a do not kill shelter. ASPCA terminates almost all animals they acquire and they use millions of dollars to do just that.
  • Biki~pw... Tasine 2012/04/27 20:14:28
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +1
    what is a good pet organization to donate to then? That is why I won't give the ASPCA one thin dime. But really don't know of any other organizations that I would "trust"
    When even Peta kills tens of thousands of animals, you know animal over population is a huge problem. Literally, all of them just can not be saved, what is to be done? Bob Barker pleaded with people every day to spay and neuter their pets, and yet, we still have a massive over pet population. Is there even an answer to this delemia that works?? =-(
  • Tasine Biki~pw... 2012/04/27 21:42:22
    Tasine
    +1
    I have donated to most, but have recently learned of their lack of success. I believe the ones to donate to are the "no-kill shelters". They are around in different places.
  • Just me ♥ Biki~pw... 2012/04/27 22:58:48
    Just me ♥
    +1
    Google "no kill animal shelter" in whatever city you live in or closest big city and see what pops up. We have a no kill shelter here that I like to help out.
  • Biki~pw... Just me ♥ 2012/04/28 00:20:47
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +1
    thanks for the idea. Sometimes the problem is so big, that the easiest solution escapes me. =-) I live in a very small town 11,000 people with one state run animal shelter. I had my son do his Boy Scout Eagle Project to help that shelter. But I don't believe that they are a no-kill shelter.
  • Just me ♥ Biki~pw... 2012/04/28 01:10:03
    Just me ♥
    +1
    I have an Eagle Scout, too and that's what he was going to do, but, they told him not to b/c a few months later, they were moving to a new location. So for his project, he painted addresses on the curbs in front of houses in our subdivision with reflective paint so in case an emergency, it's easier for the rescue personnel to find the correct houses faster.
  • Biki~pw... Just me ♥ 2012/04/29 05:59:45
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +1
    Awesome! I'm glad that I only had two son's so I only had to do those projects twice. =-) I'm still a merit badge counselor, but I keep that quiet and don't have a lot to do with the program any longer. My second son did finish his eagle scout project, but he was 3 badges away from eagle and then decided the program wasn't for him. He just isn't the out-door lover like my first son. My first son worked at a scout camp for 5 summers and loved every minute of it. By the time he turned 18 he had 20 merit badges above what was required for Eagle Scout.
  • Pedalpu... Tasine 2012/05/01 01:23:05
    Pedalpusher
    +1
    I kind of feel (and maybe wrongly) that if they got enough support that they wouldn't have to kill. Looks like I'll have to reconsider that and do some checking. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
  • Tasine Pedalpu... 2012/05/01 02:35:31
    Tasine
    They get monetary support, to the tune of in the millions. And it seems they spend it somehow that is NOT caring for the animals and they aren't trying hard enough to adopt them out.
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2012/04/27 15:01:49
    Ridiculous
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +3
    and kind cute ;-) It is their money and at least they asked for donations instead of gifts.
  • DizziNY 2012/04/27 14:47:00
    Adorable
    DizziNY
    +2
    It's their money and they aren't hurting anyone.
  • KATLYN 2012/04/27 14:46:46
    Ridiculous
    KATLYN
    +2
    that money could have went to better use. alot of people hurting out there right now ,but it is their money to do with how they please . the pups are cute but what a waste
  • DanC 2012/04/27 14:41:40
    Adorable
    DanC
    +3
    LOL! At least they don't have to worry about divorce, alimony & crap...
  • Jacob 2012/04/27 14:41:13
    Ridiculous
    Jacob
    +2
    They are just animals! This is the stupudist thing I have ever herd!
  • DizziNY Jacob 2012/04/27 14:47:35
    DizziNY
    +1
    And you're just a human.
  • Jacob DizziNY 2012/04/27 15:02:52 (edited)
    Jacob
    Yes and humans have an understanding on what marriage is. Animals don't are you that stupid to question my thoughts on this one. Wow I can't believe someone is questioning me on this post. O wait your pry an animal rights activist
  • Elisa ✦ Knockout™ 2012/04/27 14:41:00 (edited)
    Adorable
    Elisa ✦ Knockout™
    +3
    I'd much rather see this

uuu

Then to see this abused and scared for her life.It truly shows a good spirit in someone who loves their pets. seriously!!

abused dog
  • DizziNY Elisa ✦... 2012/04/27 14:47:55
    DizziNY
    +1
    ^5 I agree.
  • Pedalpu... Elisa ✦... 2012/04/27 15:14:12
    Pedalpusher
    +1
    But I'd rather see that money go to help organizations that save and help those abused animals!!
  • Gloria Pedalpu... 2012/04/27 15:49:46
    Gloria
    +1
    Didn't you read the last paragraph? "Does this canine wedding sound like a giant waste of dough? This might make you feel better: In lieu of gifts, Rubin and Carter asked for donations to benefit the Orphan Pet Oasis Humane Society of the Desert in North Palm Springs. At least some part of this extravagant wedding went to a good cause..."
  • Elisa ✦... Gloria 2012/04/27 16:34:17
    Elisa ✦ Knockout™
    +1
    lol thanks for pointing that out:)
  • P. Sturm 2012/04/27 14:35:19
    Ridiculous
    P. Sturm
    +3
    Stupid and wasteful. Trust me, the dogs could care less as long as everything smells right. They're laughing at the stupid human tricks they can make us do. Give the money to a family living out of their car instead.
  • KATLYN P. Sturm 2012/04/27 14:47:47
    KATLYN
    well said
  • Jose Hernandez 2012/04/27 14:22:01
    Adorable
    Jose Hernandez
    +1
    Well that's them to decide

2014/12/22 21:21:36