"Organized religions, more than any other human institution, can influence public behavior and moral codes -- either for good or bad." Agree or Not?

Magical 2012/08/08 22:12:31

An "organized religion" is a religion that often has particular beliefs, membership, a holy place for prayer, sermons, festivities, etc. Some examples of organized religions are Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Scientology, Hinduism, Muslim, Jehovah's Witness, etc.

Do you agree that organized religions - more than any other human institution - can influence public behavior and moral codes -- either for the good or bad?

If you agree that statement is true - do you believe that the influence is primarily for the good or for the bad?

• twister 2012/08/09 14:00:46
    twister
    +1
    I'm not sure that that is true, but it certainly can have a big influence.
  • rand 2012/08/08 23:17:48
    rand
    +1
    “There is no significant example in history, before our time, of a society successfully maintaining moral life without the aid of religion. France, the United States, and some other nations have divorced their governments from all churches, but they have had the help of religion in keeping social order.” From The Lessons of History by the Durants.
  • Zeruke 2012/08/08 22:56:48
    Zeruke
    +1
    agree.... and I think that the influence is intended for good but that does not mean in practice it will be as such
  • Mrkando 2012/08/08 22:23:33
    Mrkando
    +1
    I do agree. And I believe the intent if always for the good but does not always lead there.
    Even the church is still made up of humans.
  • the Supreme 2012/08/08 22:22:20
    the Supreme
    I'd say that is true there are good christians that actually do act like jesus they love all people dont judge volunteer at homeless womens sheltershave hearts of gold they deserve a better name than the other ones the fake christians which will literally wrap their minds around how their hatred and bigotry is justified and how jesus doesnt want yo to help the poor just keep the money all to yourself. so thats how one religion can be both good and bad
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/08/08 22:16:17
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +2
    Overall I feel the influence is for the good. There are some bad eggs. Koresh, Manson, Hitler. I don't know how people get caught up in crazy stuff like that. But I don't think the few examples of Organized Religion gone bad should reflect on the practice as a whole.

2014/10/31 23:00:36