Oreo's Gay Pride Cookie: Progressive or Inappropriate?

Here's a new way to celebrate Gay Pride Month -- eat an Oreo cookie. Kraft Foods posted a rainbow-colored, gay pride-themed picture of an Oreo cookie on Facebook on Monday, with the text: "June 25 | Pride" and "Proudly support love!" And while 217,816 Facebook users had "liked" the post as of Wednesday morning, others are calling for a boycott, Reuters reports.

Among the 35,535 comments, one person wrote: "By (sic) Oreo. I'll do my business elsewhere!" Another commenter said: "thought Oreos were a family cookie." But fans wrote things like, "Very glad to support a company like Oreo that joins the campaign for civil rights!"

Basil Maglaris, Kraft's associate director of corporate affairs, told Reuters: "As a company, Kraft Foods has a proud history of celebrating diversity and inclusiveness. We feel the Oreo ad is a fun reflection of our values." But you can't buy this Oreo at your local grocery store. The fine print under the picture reads: "Made with creme colors that do not exist."

• itscourtney8 2012/06/27 15:58:14 (edited)
    Progressive
    itscourtney8
    +31
    I really do applaud Oreos, I really don't get why people are getting upset. Those who are gay have fought as much as other minorities and still getting bad-mouthed and treated unequally. The idea is brilliant, yet sadly, I wish I could eat one :3 Also even though Oreo's is a family treat, I think the knowledge of diverse people such as the lgbt that are in the world is great for everyone of age in the family to know cause we are all one and equal. Homosexuals are just as sexual as straights, so everyone needs to stop being ignorant.

• Akes88 2012/10/09 04:53:31
    Progressive
    Akes88
    If u don't like it, buy chik fil a instead. seriously though, company who decide to reveal their social or political stances know they are taking a risk. that being said, consumers dont have to buy something they don't agree with or support.
  • becca.boulware 2012/09/25 06:13:10
    Progressive
    becca.boulware
    +3
    Seems like a nice way to show love to all of us
  • WBC_Sux becca.b... 2012/09/28 07:44:21 (edited)
    WBC_Sux
    I liked rainbows long before I even came to the realization I was gay... if I had seen a package of these cookies on a grocery store shelf back in the 80's when I was like, 7 or 8, of course I'd have wanted them... then I'd sit there eating them while I watched my shows. She-Ra, Rainbow Brite, Punky Brewster, My Little Pony, Care Bears... hey wait a second.... DAMN YOU, 80'S!
  • Random 2012/08/18 13:13:13
    Progressive
    Random
    +1
    Why can't they? When it's your "Chick-Fill-A" it's a guy using his 1st Amendment right to defend "traditional marriage" (and I support his right to do so) when Oreo shows it's support of ALL of it's customers it's "ZOMG! the gay agenda is going to eat us all!"
    Some companies will support gay rights, some won't and some won't say one way or the other.
    Personally, I love Oreos just the same and think they are in step with the turning tides.
  • Vic F 2012/07/28 01:30:23
  • Danny 2012/07/27 21:34:44
    Progressive
    Danny
    I'd say it's progressive, I just hope that they used some edible paint :-P imagine explaining that... *Everyone who eats one will become ill or die*
  • Old Salt 2012/07/22 04:22:07
  • Bob 2012/07/21 15:51:12
    Inappropriate
    Bob
    WTF! No way!
  • Nickolie 2012/07/10 18:07:53 (edited)
  • Mean Mommy 2012/07/10 11:00:29
    Inappropriate
    Mean Mommy
    +1
    What does sexual preferences have to do with oreos? This is wrong anyway you look at this! My family will never buy oreos again and they were on our favorite's list. This is food, nothing what so ever to do with sex? So why do it? Just because Gays and Lesbians and Bi and whatever else is out there.....THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY NEED OR SHOULD HAVE SPECIAL TREATMENT! Why did yall do this? I think I am going to start walking around making sure everyone knows I am normal and that means yall need to do something special for normal people. What is the big deal of gays, and the others thinking that the world owes them somethiing just because they are GAY? Do what you do on your personal time, but the world don't want to here all this immoral ways! Gays get over yourselves! Oreo this is just sad that you have stooped this low. There are more normal all American families for your sales than the loud few gays and lesbians and other stuff out there! Shame on you, I really hope your sells fall rather fast and stay there, THIS ACTION YOU DECIDED TO DO WAS A TOTAL BOMB...SHAME ON YOU AGAIN!
  • hayley Mean Mommy 2012/07/10 17:45:23
    hayley
    +1
    get off your high horse their simply supporting peoples rights!
  • Mean Mommy hayley 2012/07/10 19:33:34
    Mean Mommy
    +1
    It is called Morals and Values, not a high horse, Why does society have to bend over backwards because of sexual orientation or other criteria. Sexual orientation belongs at home behind close doors....what you do personally should not have any affect on the rest of the world. As for supporting people's rights, they are not supporting most of "Americans" bending over backward for the few that are so lound demanding they are "Special" they need to get a grip, live their lives and get over themselves. I think I am going to file a "Sexual Harrassment Case" on gays and lesbians for harrassing ALL of the American People who keep their private lives at home and are "MANDATED" to hear all the gays and their whinning! Respect goes both ways, not all gays and lesbians are this way, so why does the few who are loud want to make it bad on the rest of Americans, they just need to live their lives with respect to themselves and OTHERS and hush... it is really simple!
  • hayley Mean Mommy 2012/07/11 01:15:09
    hayley
    +3
    civil rights are civil rights everyone should have them black white gay lesbian transgender as you said respect works both ways how would you like it if you couldn't marry the person you loved or got abuse off people just for being with them! as for morals and values there is nothing wrong with being gay and to think there is is simply ignorant. its 2012 people shouldn't have to hind who they are.
  • Mean Mommy hayley 2012/07/11 04:28:38
    Mean Mommy
    +2
    Why do people want to flaunt there sexual orientation period... you know that is private part of life that does not belong to the world....that is your business. Not just me and you know this yourself, we just do not want to hear it, keep it to themselves like the rest of the world. The world does not owe people anything because of their sexual orientation.
  • hayley Mean Mommy 2012/07/11 05:16:43
    hayley
    +2
    flaunting it? once a year we come out n celebrate who we are, meet new people and try to get our rights id hardly call that flaunting it. if someone doesnt like it then dont come simple as all we want is our rights we are owe them!
  • Melissa... Mean Mommy 2012/07/22 03:05:36
    Melissa Ray
    +1
    We dont flaunt anything
    and since you're boycotting oreos now heres a a list of the rest of the things your family shouldn't buy/use.
    :

Google, Microsoft, Apple, Chipotle, Miller, U-Haul, Safeway, Chase, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Macy's, Facebook, Allstate, Gap, Costco, Delta Airlines, Home Depot, Walgreens, Disney, Olive Garden, Coca-Cola, Pepsico, Nationwide, Ford, GM, Levi's, UPS, United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, McDonald's, Marriot, Applebee's, Clorox, Amazon, Starbucks, Gerber, Hilton, State Farm, Rite Aid, Proctor and Gamble, Sears, Red Lobster, Nike, American Apparel, Boeing, IBM, YWCA, YMCA and Nabisco.

Btw, if you don't support companies who support gay rights, how are you using the computer? Iirc, Apple and Microsoft are the only two proper brand/OS's out there (you need to run linux on something)?

Oh and we dont flaunt anything. We're FIGHTING for our rights that we should have already had to start with
  • Mean Mommy Melissa... 2012/07/23 22:57:37
    Mean Mommy
    +1
    Thank you for the above information, I will clearly check on these companies.
    As for "rights" most Americans are not gay, a small part of the population, we are here to serve GOD, NOT ourselves... we are to reproduce and serve him...when two males, or two females can reproduce.....not by buying children or receiving children by any other means then you might have an argument. God clearly states in his word, "man shall not lie with man" it is stated three or more times. Yes, times have changed, but the "Word of God" will never change!
  • Melissa... Mean Mommy 2012/07/23 23:41:58
    Melissa Ray
    Not all of us, how about of us that are of a different religion? I have no religion, maybe you are here for that, but not everyone is, and you cant shove religion down anothers throat. I cant be "converted" the world changes and people cant help who they fall in love with. Theres more LGBT people than you think, Lesbians, gays, bis, trans, ect. Theres millions, a bigger percentage then your close minded self might think. Just open your eyes for once. We deserve equal marriage rights and theres already alot of big states that support it (NY, cali got rid of prop 8 so California, ect) eventually everywhere will, each new generation is willing to open their eyes to it and accept it. It doesnt affect you in any way so why should you care?
    Eventually you'll have to boycott your life to get rid of the "gay" stuff
    or start opening your ears for a moment and think outside the terms of "god"
  • Bob Melissa... 2012/07/25 17:29:13
    Bob
    +1
    Living in darkness.
  • WBC_Sux Bob 2012/09/28 09:18:35
    WBC_Sux
    ^Living in the dark ages.
  • Bob WBC_Sux 2012/09/28 20:51:59
    Bob
    You have your opinion I have mine.
  • WBC_Sux Melissa... 2012/09/28 08:35:19 (edited)
  • hayley Mean Mommy 2012/07/25 04:15:54
    hayley
    You do not realise that the bible wasn't written by god it was written by men living in a different time trying to keep people in line! And if your going to live by the bible then you should know about the crap bout how anything unnatural is evil meaning medicine is evil which is why the church burned innocence women for practicing it callin them witches! There is a lot more of this kind of crazy bull in the bible which am sure u ignore so don't go around trying to say that were sinners n are going against god because quite frankly that's just stupid and ignorant
  • WBC_Sux hayley 2012/09/28 08:43:30 (edited)
  • Alexand... Mean Mommy 2012/07/28 21:27:36
  • Mean Mommy Alexand... 2012/07/28 21:31:34
    Mean Mommy
    +1
    Your opinion is nothing but a "Sign of the Times" (not in a good way either)
  • Alexand... Mean Mommy 2012/08/01 13:12:14
  • Mean Mommy Alexand... 2012/10/03 14:14:17
    Mean Mommy
    SAD:(
  • Bob Alexand... 2012/08/06 14:09:25
    Bob
    Really?!?
  • Alexand... Bob 2012/08/06 19:40:38 (edited)
  • Bob Alexand... 2012/08/07 12:43:58
    Bob
    Sure, if you say so.
  • WBC_Sux Mean Mommy 2012/09/28 08:16:36
    WBC_Sux
    Most Americans aren't black, most Americans aren't hispanic, most Americans aren't Jewish, does this mean that because they're a "minority" they don't deserve the same rights as the "majority?"
  • Mean Mommy WBC_Sux 2012/10/03 14:20:16
    Mean Mommy
    Who is not getting rights? If these people or groups of individuals feel this way, what exactly are they not getting? What rights "exactly" are you speaking of?
  • WBC_Sux Mean Mommy 2012/09/28 08:19:59 (edited)
    WBC_Sux
    +1
    "We are here to serve GOD, NOT ourselves... we are to reproduce and serve him...when two males, or two females can reproduce.....not by buying children or receiving children by any other means then you might have an argument."

derp

flerp

shmerp

slaves

koolaid

shirley
  • WBC_Sux Mean Mommy 2012/09/28 09:50:09 (edited)
    WBC_Sux
    "Yes, times have changed, but the "Word of God" will never change!"
    Thank you for saying that...

**God hates haircuts and beard trimmers**

Leviticus 19:27 - You shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shall you mar the corners of your beard.

**God hates cattle breeders (the jury is still out on dog breeders), plant breeders, and people who mix up their textiles.**

Leviticus 19:19 - You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle engender with a diverse kind: you shall not sow your field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woolen come on you.

**God creates evil... so he is responsible for all murderers, genocidal dictators, rapists, thugs, etc and he did indeed create The Devil! Piss off with all that "Lucifer made his decision, not God! God doesn't make people evil they just chose to be!" crap**

Isaiah 45:7 - I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

**God does not approve of female teachers or preachers**

1 Tim. 2:11-14 - "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgres...

Thank you for saying that...

1 Tim. 2:11-14 - "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression"

1 Corinthians 14:34 - Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

http://www.godhatesthemedia.c... --- Once again, Westboro manages to omit themselves from their own rules, what about Shirley, what about the other Phelps girls??? What do you call going out in a picket or protest and lecturing and proselytizing to any and all who will listen whilest not being the born possessor of a penis??? And on that note, what about the entire American educational system? Are you really gunna go picket every school or college that has a woman teacher in it? What a waste of gas money.

**God hates shrimp**

Leviticus 11:9-12 - These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.
  • becca.b... Mean Mommy 2012/09/25 06:21:48
    becca.boulware
    +4
    So all the public shows of affection by straight people don't count as flaunting it? All the straight matchmaking adds on TV? Nor all the snide comments when a gay couple show any public affection. But maybe your right lol
  • WBC_Sux Mean Mommy 2012/09/28 08:13:50 (edited)
    WBC_Sux
    Yeah, and all those mixed couples out on the street, why are they flaunting their sick fetish for non-caucasians? I mean, Gawww-duuuh says in the Bible that he doesn't want any race mixing! (He also says he doesn't want any chicks preaching or teaching and that a rapist can marry his victim if he pays the father 50 shekels of silver).

http://www.kinsmanredeemer.co...

http://www.churchoftrueisrael...

http://www.churchoftrueisrael...

So why on earth did Richard Perry Loving and Mildred Delores Jeter have to disobey the Racial Integrity Act and go flaunting their abominable lusts for one another? Why didn't they just keep their hands and other appendages to themselves like "Duh Gud Laaawwrrr-duh" wanted them to instead of having to rock the boat and get themselves in trouble with the state of Virginia? - http://www.npr.org/templates/...

loving_versus_virgnia
  • Mean Mommy WBC_Sux 2012/10/03 14:25:31
    Mean Mommy
    "Just because you can do something, DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD!"

Any of us can go out and break alll kinds of man made laws, but what would happen?
  • WBC_Sux Mean Mommy 2012/10/03 21:12:55 (edited)
    WBC_Sux
    LOL.... Okaaaay, so lesson learned:

If you love and want to be with someone who is of a different race than you, and everyone else is threatening to kill you for it or lock you up. Just stay quiet and don't challenge the system. I really expected you to have something better to respond to this with.
  • Bob hayley 2012/07/21 15:51:59
    Bob
    NOPE!

2014/12/18 13:32:20