One Million Moms Upset About Two Women Kissing in Urban Outfitters Catalog: Totally Fine or 'Inappropriate'?

A photo of two young women kissing in the new Urban Outfitters catalog has upset One Million Moms. Well, not exactly one million moms, but the outspoken group that is "fed up with the filth many segments of our society, especially the entertainment media, are throwing at our children."

The group issued the following warning, according to The Advocate: "On page two of this catalog is a picture of two women kissing in a face holding embrace!" They're also urging their members to cancel their catalogs and threaten to shop elsewhere. "The ad and catalog are clearly geared toward teenagers," the group says. "The content is offensive and inappropriate for a teen who is the company's target customer."

True, Urban Outfitters is targeted at teens, but so are shows like "Glee," which have done so much for gay rights. One Million Moms previously failed to get Ellen DeGeneres fired as spokeswoman for JCPenney (because she is a lesbian). Do you think the group is right about this ad being "inappropriate"? Or do you think it's totally fine?

• cookie monster 2012/04/18 18:26:37 (edited)
    Totally fine
    cookie monster
    +31
    Some girls like other girls, not a big deal. Time to get over it. I'm a teenage girl, and this is nothing I haven't seen or done myself. I have friends that are lesbians & bisexual. It happens.

Go lesbians!!
    woooooooo

Edit: One of my best friends I have known since I was 4 years old is a lesbian and she & her girlfriend are perfect for each other.

• Brian.Shepherd 2012/07/23 15:49:35
    "Inappropriate"
    Brian.Shepherd
    GET REAL, NO BI'S ALL GAYS GO TO HELL, VERY DIFFERENT THAN HEAVEN WHERE FUN BEGINS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED WHERE CARD-PLAYING IS! HEAVEN WILL SHOCK AND AWE YOU, SINNERS!

Club Shepherd, yyyy
    THEE Shepherd Act, 2010
    THEE Shepherd Card Cruise

JESUS CHRIST/GOD/THEE HOLY GHOST, ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... I PRAISE THEM, EVERY DAY, I MAY BE HANDICAPPED, NOW, BUT SOON, VERY SOON I WILL BE IN HEAVEN WORSHIPPING AND PRAISING MY FATHER, AND YOUR DADDY, GOD, VERY SOON!

BRIAN EDWARD SHEPHERD
  • Royo 2012/05/14 21:18:06
    Totally fine
    Royo
    God, if we can't deal with that then WHAT CAN OUR COUNTRY DEAL WITH?
  • joshua ben-ami 2012/05/08 20:58:23
    Totally fine
    joshua ben-ami
    maybe has nothing to do with gay right??? Just Fashion and current trends???
  • jeane 2012/05/06 21:32:14
    "Inappropriate"
    jeane
    +1
    Our kids are so messed up!
  • AskZilla 2012/04/25 23:18:40
    Totally fine
    AskZilla
    +1
    As sickening syrupy sweet as this is going to sound, I'm going to say it, "There definitely needs to be more kissing in the world." Please start loving and release your prejudices, instead of hating. Hating is evil and keeps you insular. It's ok to be cautious, but unjustified hate isn't 'cool'.

Sadly enough, even the innocent male to male kiss pic I uploaded will offend people because of their double standards...If it's two women, everyone says fine, but oh the wrath of Kahn comes alive when two men kiss. And it's largely an American double standard. When I was in Europe I had many male to male kisses, and there was nothing sexual about it.

kissing friends
  • TJ 2012/04/24 17:21:20
    Totally fine
    TJ
    The have a right to their opinion, but not to force their opinion, and their lifestyle decisions on anyone else.
  • Soms Cougli 2012/04/23 00:05:39
    Totally fine
    Soms Cougli
    I kiss girls all the time ;)
    And it did the job; they got our attention. Suckers.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/04/22 23:02:24
    Totally fine
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    Let the bigots whirl.
  • dcrk789lokidani 2012/04/22 16:38:17
    Totally fine
    dcrk789lokidani
    EQUALITY!
  • YouSirName 2012/04/22 14:58:31
    Totally fine
    YouSirName
    No big deal.
  • Dave 007 2012/04/21 12:01:06
    "Inappropriate"
    Dave 007
    Was it really needed??????
  • BladeCaptain 2012/04/21 10:25:57
    Totally fine
    BladeCaptain
    Women kiss, that's normal even for straight women. Though is there such a thing as a truly straight woman?
  • shygurl 2012/04/21 05:18:13
    Totally fine
    shygurl
    +1
    i really dont care two girls can be kissing or two guys kissing its fine by me just dont be disgusting in public and make everyone uncomfortable
    Totally fine
    +3
    This group is backed by the ultra conservative religious right and is a bunch of nut cases.
  • Nicklover 2012/04/21 00:07:51
    Totally fine
    Nicklover
    +2
    What decade is this again? I thought we were getting past all this. Hating people for being the way they are is just like being sexist or rasicst. Its wrong
  • AskZilla Nicklover 2012/04/25 20:47:36
    AskZilla
    Some might consider it to me no more sexist as the notion of not wanting to have children. That offends many people.

I don't condone sexism, agism or racism or looksism
  • niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20 2012/04/20 21:35:57
    Totally fine
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    +1
    It looks that their husbands are MIA from spousal duties. I wonder why.
  • macy 2012/04/20 21:07:45
    Totally fine
    macy
    +2
    One Million Moms needs to stop being a bad example to their children and stop the discrimination.
  • Helmholtz 2012/04/20 19:14:25
    Totally fine
    Helmholtz
    +4
    One million moms...in this context they could just as easily be classified as one million nagging prudes with too much time on their hands.
  • Brenda 2012/04/20 18:41:15
    "Inappropriate"
    Brenda
    +4
    PERIOD! I just read what most people said. Just because times are changing does not make this kind of crap ok. I'm with the other moms. Even though I know it won't happen, "you people" need to stop flaunting your gayness to the world. It's like you want everyone to think that you're so out there. I don't flaunt my hetero to the world. Please people, it is no one business but your own. Same sex couples are just WRONG. Not to mention, JUST NASTY! If it wasn't so, then why all the rickamaroe?
  • Brenda Brenda 2012/04/20 18:41:56
    Brenda
    +1
    By the way, SH people, BRING IT ON!
  • macy Brenda 2012/04/20 21:12:27
    macy
    +6
    Wow, you're a bigot. "Same sex couples are just WRONG." If you think it's inappropriate because of the kissing, that's fine, I don't care. However, if you want to spread your bigotry all over the internet, then listen to this: people who are gay are born that way, so hating gay people is EXACTLY the same as being racist or sexist.
  • gracious43 macy 2012/04/21 17:50:25
    gracious43
    +1
    There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that gays are born that way.
  • Soms Co... gracious43 2012/04/23 00:07:18
    Soms Cougli
    +2
    I sure as heck didn't wake up one day and decide to be a lesbian. Where's your proof that we aren't born like this?
  • gracious43 Soms Co... 2012/04/23 04:46:34
    gracious43
    +3
    There has never been any genetic link found for homosexuality. And if fact, many homosexuals have decided to change, and they have. Michael Glatze, comes to mind, although he is not the only one.

Finally, your sexual organs are heterosexual. That is you have female organs which serve in both form and function to work elegantly as counterparts to the male sexual organs. There is no homosexual sexual organs. So all human beings, unless there is a woeful physical deformity, are innately heterosexual.
  • Soms Co... gracious43 2012/04/23 11:42:05
    Soms Cougli
    +1
    They may have decided to acknowledge it, but it's certainly not a choice.

My organs, yes, my feelings, no. I love women. I don't like men, at all. Physical features are of equal relevance as emotion, and I am not attracted to men. I don't care if penis fits in my vagina, I have no interest in it, and that's absolutely my right and no one should be able to take that away from me, or any other homosexual, whether it's through ignorance or complaining about a damn advert.
  • gracious43 Soms Co... 2012/04/23 14:40:56
    gracious43
    +3
    Just so long as you accept the fact that "emotions" are not biologically innate. Since emotions are not genetic traits, such as color of skin, then they should not be a legally protected by the state.

The state as a matter of fact has no interest in protecting your emotions, and most certainly the state has no interest in protecting your emotions in regards to marriage.
  • Soms Co... gracious43 2012/04/23 15:26:32
    Soms Cougli
    +1
    We don't want protection, we want our goddamn human rights. It doesn't matter, and shouldn't matter. Saying I "decided" to be gay is like saying I "decided" to be raped. No, no I didn't, nor did I "decide" to have my rights dictated to me by a bunch of bigot, close-minded, discriminatory, heterosexual, 1950s wankers with no respect for equality. No one has the right to dictate if I'm normal, or if I have the same rights, or if I'm allowed to sit at the bedside of my dying partner or not. You've got no right, and neither does the state.

We have the same heart, blood, hands, fingers, toes, legs, feet, and the only difference is genitals and sexual preference. Why on earth does it matter to you, or anyone else, so much? Give us our rights, and we'll stop complaining, it's as simple as that. In thirty years people will look back at this and wonder why it was an issue to begin with. What if the world were run by homosexuals, and we restricted your rights? You'd be on my side of this argument.

It appears the state has no interest in anything that doesn't conform to their idea of the perfect society and what it should look like.
  • gracious43 Soms Co... 2012/04/23 17:19:20
    gracious43
    +3
    Everytime a culture has been run by homosexuals, the rights of everyone has been racked. The status of women were flushed into the sewer, and children were born and discarded on dunghills slung from ancient Phoenica, to Greece and Rome.

And once again protecting your sexual preference isn't in the interest of the state. You don't have a right to choose any one you want to marry any more than I do. I'm not allowed to marry a near kin. I'm not allowed to marry a horse or a child for that matter. No one has a right to mattey anyone or any thing they choose. The fact of the matter is that the only marriage that the state has an interest in protecting is heterosexual marriages because it protects women and children.

Heterosexist cultures have done nothing but create murder and mayhem. And pederasty was always par for the course.
  • Soms Co... gracious43 2012/04/24 01:28:25
    Soms Cougli
    +1
    "Every time?" Out of how many heterosexual cultures who have ruined entire races, entire countries? Here, in the modern world, all we want is the same right you have; to marry our partners fairly and legally, and for it to be acknowledge. But if you want to marry your horse, sure, fight for that right, too. We don't want to rape and pillage and murder your children, but thanks for the history lesson. I'd like to point out that thousands of female infants were killed by their fathers for not being sons, and homosexuals had nothing to do with it.

I don't want them to protect it, I can do that myself. What I want, and what many of us want, is for them to pull their fingers out and acknowledge that we are just as human as they are, and want nothing more from them but the same rights heterosexual couples have. My own uncle was told he couldn't be at the side of his own partner of 32 years when they turned off the life support, because he was gay and not classified "next of kin" or family. It's disgusting, and discriminatory. We're not going anywhere.
  • gracious43 Soms Co... 2012/04/24 04:41:15
    gracious43
    +2
    Of course you are not going anywhere. No one said otherwise. That doesn't mean that you have state guaranteed rights. The fact that you believe that I should fight for the right to marry my horse speaks volumes for your distain for marriage.

And when I say every single time, that homosexuality has been endorsed and practiced in a culture, I mean every single time. Every single time homosexuality became dominant in a culture, the status of women were flushed into the toilet, and children were discarded at the will and discretion of the homosexist patriarchy. That happened in Phoenicia and ancient Greece and ancient Rome, to say nothing of the butch homosexuals such as Ernst Rohm and Rudolf Hess in the Nazi party of Germany.
  • macy gracious43 2012/04/26 04:15:54
    macy
    The Nazi party discriminated AGAINST homosexuals...there were some in the nazi party, true, but they kept it quiet (from Hitler at least). Also, yes, there was bad patriarchy in ancient Greece/Rome. However, you forget to mention that Europe in the renaissance was just as bad, when homosexuality was, in most parts, considered a major crime. Also, marrying your horse does not relate to homosexuality...it is not of the same species as you, nor can it consent to marry. The problem with relating beastiality/pedophilia to homosexuality is that in the former two, there is no mutual consent and pretty much EVERYONE agrees that they are wrong. Also, "guaranteed state rights"...well, all Americans are guaranteed the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If you don't allow gay marriage, the what about the latter two rights? Is it okay to tell two people who sincerely love each other they don't have a right to be married?
  • gracious43 macy 2012/04/26 06:33:22
    gracious43
    +2
    Yes it is okay to tell two people who love each other, that they may not get married. You can tell close kin that they are not allowed to get married, even if they love each other. You can tell young people they can not get married even if they love each other. In short, any union that jeopardizes the welfare of the State can be criminalized.

The homosexuals in the Nazi party have been kept under wraps long enough, but ugly truth tends to rear it's head sooner or later.
    Sure the homosexuals in the Nazi party sent feminine homosexuals into concentration camps. It served two purposes. It made the Nazi's appear to be in compliance with the moral standards of Germany and butch homosexuals hated feminine homosexual. It is still that way today, as this youtube clip demonstrates adequately,

Konrad Heiden, author of A History of National Socialism,
    " homosexuality was widespread in the secret murderers'
    army and its devotees denied that it was a perversion.
    They were proud, regarding themselves as `different from
    the others,' meaning better. They boasted about their
    superiority. Roehm exclaimed that the misfortune of the
    age was domination by women; he praised the epochs that
    had been dominated by figures like Alexander the Great,
    Caesar, Charles Xll Sweden, Prince Eugen...

Caesar, Charles Xll Sweden, Prince Eugene of Savoy and
    Frederick the Great, five great warriors and five
    homosexuals."

Hitler's Children: Hitler Youth and the SS by Gerhard Rempel

"Homosexuality, meanwhile continued on into the war years when Hitler Jugend boys frequently became victims of molestations at the hands of their SS tutors; Himmler consistently took a hard line against it publicly, but was willing to mitigate his penalties privately and keep every incident as secret as possible."
  • macy gracious43 2012/05/06 20:31:26
    macy
    Gay marriage doesn't jeopardize the welfare of the state. Yes, there were bad homosexuals in history. There were also good ones, which people often fail to mention because they don't like the idea. Guess what? There were bad heterosexuals in history too, as well as good ones. Also, gay marriage is nothing like marrying a relative or young people marrying. The former is incest, and the latter could be a rash decision.
  • gracious43 macy 2012/05/06 20:40:38
    gracious43
    +2
    Historically homosexist patriarchies jeopardized the welfare of both women and children. That happened in Babylon, Phoenicia, Greece and Rome. It wasn't just a "few bad 'homosexual' apples." It was a homosexist patriarchy which devalued women for any other use than a uterus.

By the same note, infants became disposable in every single one of these cultures as well. And lo and behold, as America becomes more "tolerant" of homosexuality,the ugly side of infanticide again rears it's ugly head. This time under the "scientific" status of the term "after-birth-abortions."

Anyone who doesn't learn the lessons of history is going to be doomed to repeat them. All I can say is women in the US that tolerate this special and unique form of all inclusive form of homosexist misogyny ane going to learn a lesson that will send them reeling and staggering across the nation.
  • macy gracious43 2012/05/07 23:52:26
    macy
    You focus on homosexual men. Well there are homosexual women out there, too. First of all, note that not all homosexual men are sexist, and that certainly not all heterosexual men aren't. However, homosexual women are less tolerant of sexism because their partner isn't going to be misogynistic unless they have some sort of inferiority complex. So it balances itself out. In most or all of those cultures homosexuality was only considered acceptable in men...in women it was seen as a disgrace.
  • gracious43 macy 2012/05/08 04:52:13
    gracious43
    +2
    When the time comes, Lesbians are going down. They won't even be tolerated as wombs. And feminine homosexual males won't fare much better.

And domestic abuse, even among Lesbians is much higher in homosexual partnerships.
  • macy gracious43 2012/05/08 21:19:36
    macy
    Although our second point may be valid, how is your first point? Why are lesbians going down? Last time I checked, they weren't. When is "when time comes", anyways? It's the fear of prejudice that leads you to prejudice.
  • gracious43 macy 2012/05/09 06:32:29
    gracious43
    +2
    Lesbians have never fared well in homosexist societies. You just haven't seen the worst of it, because you have grown up in a western culture based on Judeo-Christian values. Most of the women of the world weren't so blessed. But America is abandoning that culture, because we believe that we are too smart for it.

" Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana.
  • macy gracious43 2012/05/09 19:42:09
    macy
    This isn't a homosexist society...back then, sexism was much more acceptable than it is now. Also, most religions that openly accept sexism weren't intended to be that way. For example, look at the middle east today. Mohammed was a strong supporter of more equality for women, but do the Taliban think so? Also, traditional Judeo-Christianity involved the idea that a wife should be submissive to her husband. However, the US as a predominantly Christian country isn't much like that. So religious ideas get warped and messed around with by the people who practice them, for better or for worse.

2014/11/23 17:10:02