OK for Boys and Girls to Share Dorm Rooms?

Related Topics: Student, College, suicide, Gay
In the old days, boys and girls weren't even allowed to be in the same dorm building. Now, Rutgers University will allow them to share rooms.

The decision to allow co-ed rooms in three dorms comes less than a year after Tyler Clementi, a freshman at the New Jersey state university, killed himself by jumping off a bridge.

Authorities say that days before the suicide, Clementi's roommate used a web cam to videotape him during an intimate encounter with another man.

Starting this fall -- as part of an effort to make the campus more inclusive for gay students -- all Rutgers students can choose either male or female roommates. Men and women will also share bathrooms, The Associated Press reports.

The University of Maryland, New York's Columbia University and Washington's George Washington University offer similar housing options, according to the AP.

What do you think? Should college students be able to pick their own roommates, regardless of gender?

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110301/ap_on_re_us/us...

• Bobby 2013/11/29 06:36:33
    Bobby
    It's not about sleeping together. Me and my two BEST FRIENDS (who are girls) went out and rented our own apartment so we could be roommates. :D (Best decision ever.)
  • pratik shah 2012/03/03 11:25:26
    pratik shah
    ya ! boys & girls are good friends
    thay share a gossyp
  • mary 2012/01/27 05:58:34
    mary
    I think it's ok.. I mean, how hard can it be for different gender to stay in the same room as u? U also can't always have girls as friend in each room, at least have like a boy in the room or dorm!
  • tatum53410 2011/12/10 16:00:11
    tatum53410
    i dont think it would be fare if a guy or girl wants to share a dorm room then let them its their fault if the girl gets pregnate
  • tatum53410 tatum53410 2011/12/10 16:07:50
    tatum53410
    +1
    if they cant share a room then it would be fare sorry i forgot to put tht
  • mary tatum53410 2012/01/27 06:00:04
    mary
    +3
    They can also pick there own
  • Lynne 2011/04/28 16:08:41
    Lynne
    +1
    Yea where growing up and we have to exprience new things and you cant seperate couples and with out them being in the same dorm, then there going be stressed about if he/she is cheating and they wont be able to focus.
  • ThePurpleHaze 2011/03/20 01:35:46 (edited)
    ThePurpleHaze
    +1
    Why not? Sex is fun.
    It may even help you study more because you two can study together.
  • bothergobble 2011/03/13 00:42:02 (edited)
    bothergobble
    That's a ridiculous idea. Look:

(1) Straight guy in dorm room with decent looking girl of any orientation.

(2) First year college, first year guy is away from home.

(3) 100% certainty - guy will eventually get really drunk some night.

(4) 100% certainty - as soon as he sees her when he comes home drunk, he will rape her.

It sucks.
  • dePSyChO botherg... 2011/06/17 19:49:16
    dePSyChO
    What? You're kidding, right? To say such discriminatory things that are all untrue is horrible.
  • Chylla ChC 2011/03/07 17:06:01
    Chylla ChC
    Yaaaay!
    As long as there are just girl and just boy rooms, but it's cool
  • Deideiblueeyez 2011/03/06 17:51:09
    Deideiblueeyez
    There should be a third option "I think" ... I don't know... I'm not too keen on girls and guys in the same dorm room. What if they're attracted to one another? That would probably hurt their studies. If it was guy-guy, or girl-girl (assuming they don't play for the other team) there would be no chemistry to mess up their focus. But I guess if it was an intellectual relationship while both in the same room (guy and girl I'm talking about now) then I guess there would be no harm. .. but I'm still a little skeptical.
  • Taylor 2011/03/03 23:27:10
    Taylor
    they are adults

there are a lot of gay kids and this makes it more fair

not all dorms should be co ed they should have at least 2 single sex buildings for those uncomfortable with the idea
  • megan<333 2011/03/03 22:59:34
    megan<333
    helll yeah.ummm its called sex!!! hahahahhahahah jk but yeah its finee
  • stef 2011/03/03 22:47:06
    stef
    not all boys can be trusted as well as some girls
  • katiecakeface07 2011/03/03 22:25:28
    katiecakeface07
    +1
    But only if both of them are comfortable with it.
  • gg 2011/03/03 21:34:20
    gg
    hell yah just as long as i get some action
  • jrizzo 2011/03/03 21:03:27
    jrizzo
    But only for the first night because after we had sex, the tension would go away and we could study no problem
  • rustyshackelford 2011/03/03 20:00:32
  • Angie 2011/03/03 19:17:01
    Angie
    I'd of found it hard to concentrate with a guy in the room unless I wasn't attracted to him there's no way I would of behaved. Most people wouldn't if they're alive and warm blooded.
  • Bill ~P... Angie 2011/03/03 19:28:06
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    We would have made great roommates because you do look like the cover of a SI swimsuit issue. I might have even studied my butt off to impress you. On the down side though as I think about it, you would have probably got a boyfriend and my heart would break. You'd move in with him, I'd quit school and flip burgers the rest of my life, you'd get pregnant by the dork who would then leave you and find someone else and in a few years you'd be wearing a shabby robe and flipflops with 4 kids you could not afford to feed and we would be miserable the rest of our lives. Gee... I've just totally depressed myself.
  • Angie Bill ~P... 2011/03/03 19:41:59 (edited)
    Angie
    lmao u just told the story of my life..hmmm maybe I should do a recant and say YES but only if the guy is attracted to me then that would of made school a whole lot more interesting :D

Great now I just you and me depressed lol!
  • Bill ~P... Angie 2011/03/03 19:46:45
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    Naw... I read your profile page. You've done well and I'm happy for you. You sound like a great mom and wife. You're living the life. Now I need to go.... the burgers are starting to burn.... ;-(
  • Angie Bill ~P... 2011/03/03 19:51:13
    Angie
    Thanks Bill I am living it well I do admit..just joking altho not about making school more interesting. I had a lot of guy friends and most of them were stifled crushes on either end :)

Can you imagine? Sleeping in the same room? Hot weather..short nighties, most guys sleep naked idk..unless people are dead I'm thinking not a great idea lol! Or maybe it's just me ?!
  • Bill ~P... Angie 2011/03/03 20:14:51
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    OMG...now I need to go take a cold shower. Hahaha... I took a video of my wife of 35 years (who I met in college) a few nights ago snoring and such. She was appalled how awful she looked. Didn't matter to me... love long ago took the place of lust. That's the problem I see with young kids rooming together...their passion would rule over their brains. As a guy it's taken me 57 years to begin to realize that and even so I'm still just BEGINNING to understand it. Testosterone is an awful burden we guys must bear.
  • Angie Bill ~P... 2011/03/03 20:36:26
    Angie
    +1
    Ah yes it does so I'm told. Going by my brains hasn't always served me that well to be 'practical' all the time, I think a certain amount amount of Lust is a good thing at times it keeps things kindled.
  • Bill ~P... Angie 2011/03/03 20:54:43
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    We see things way too much alike. I'm sad ... I mean glad you live in Canada.
  • Bill ~PWCM~JLA 2011/03/03 19:15:14 (edited)
    Bill ~PWCM~JLA
    But only if the girl looks like the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. If she looks like me, NO DAMN WAY!!! On the other hand, maybe these girls can teach the boys how to aim when they pee, something that apparently their mothers could not.
  • amcsquizzy 2011/03/03 18:47:38
    amcsquizzy
    aslong as the boy isnt on the sex offenders list
  • dePSyChO amcsquizzy 2011/03/03 18:52:05
    dePSyChO
    girls can be sex offenders too, you know
  • amcsquizzy dePSyChO 2011/03/04 17:17:56
    amcsquizzy
    +1
    yeah but its typicaly men
  • dePSyChO amcsquizzy 2011/03/04 20:47:48
    dePSyChO
    sure, maybe it's more "typical", but you can't write off the fact that girls are sex offenders too.
  • dePSyChO 2011/03/03 18:39:42
    dePSyChO
    +1
    it's totally fine.

for one thing, this isn't the 50's anymore where *married* men and women slept in different beds. another thing? eventually a guy and a girl are going to get married. guys and girls have totally different living styles; getting use to the opposite sex's living style is an invaluable life lesson
  • Clatahwa 2011/03/03 18:27:07
    Clatahwa
    Yes it's fine.

I know a great deal of people like to stereotype other people (guys especially) as sex addicts. And while this does have a shred of truth, certain people - like myself, do not represent that stereotype. I am straight, yet I have plenty of very pretty friends-who-are-girls, and I don't sleep with them. ;)

As for distractions... I spent just 4 days in a dorm with a group of guys for a water polo camp... I mean, as far as distractions go, listening to metal, and obscene parody songs, playing unicorn video games, talking about dumb people, and grandparents, and every other thing under the sun, I call that distraction... not having some girl in the same dorm as me.
    Living with a lady would not be overtly distracting or enticing to the point that I would be unable to control myself. But people should definitely use their discretion when choosing a roommate of the opposing gender.

And, as stated before, separating the genders does not lead to less relationships anyway. People still visit each other's rooms, ya know....

And to be more on topic, I do support a gay person's right to not want to be discriminated against by others of their own gender, and therefore, choose a roommate that they feel will not be uncomfortable with them occupying the same space.
  • TheNightFly 2011/03/03 17:19:13
    TheNightFly
    Sure, why not?

Sex? Well, that's going to happen regardless.
  • concerned dude 2011/03/03 17:02:37
    concerned dude
    I think as long as we are promoting promiscuous sex then it should be OK. the great majority of the time they will get naked. It's human nature. Perhaps Rutgers should give out lube, condoms and porn videos to each couple rooming together.
    human nature rutgers lube condoms porn videos couple rooming couples sex
  • Connor ... concern... 2011/03/03 22:18:57
    Connor Pope
    You shouldn't assume.
  • Duckie xD 2011/03/03 16:29:36
    Duckie xD
    ermmm NO!!!!
    i mean HONESTLY!!!
    what if u DISLIKE the guy or if ur stuck with some wierdo porno guy, and how u suposed to have ur like, GIRLY moments?!?!?! O.o
    seriously ppl!!!
    god gave u brains, USE THEM!!!
  • dePSyChO Duckie xD 2011/03/03 18:56:41
    dePSyChO
    +1
    First off, the way you type makes you sound like an idiot.

Second, what if you are in the same-sex dorms and you dislike your room-mate, even if she is a girl? Does every guy like every guy they know, and the same for girls? No. And for your information, girls like porn too, not just guys.

And you can have your period, not GIRLY MOMENTS, with or without telling your roommate because, by the time you're in college, you should be mature enough to realize that it's normal and that guys know about it already; it isn't some secret feminine thing that no guy knows about.

Seriously, use your brain. People don't act like 7th graders their whole lives. Get off the internet, you're probably 13.
  • Duckie xD dePSyChO 2011/06/17 15:26:06
    Duckie xD
    Hmmmmm, thats rather odd isnt it...i dont remember commenting on this...dam hackers! >.<
    .....FRICKEN HELL!
    wow, ur right, this weirdo does sound like an idiot, anywho:P
    i wouldnt mind sharing a room with a gyu [[me being a girl]] so LONG as he cleans up after himself:)

2014/10/25 16:51:06