Obesity Poses a Greater Threat to Public Health Than Smoking: Agree?

Daryl 2012/07/19 16:00:00
Most Americans say obesity is an "extremely" or "very serious" problem to society. In fact, 81 person of Americans think it, which is much greater than the 69 percent compared to the 2005 Gallup poll. Americans now see obesity as a more serious societal issue than cigarettes -- a change from the past.

Read More: http://www.gallup.com/poll/155762/Americans-Concer...

• Libertys Martyr 2012/07/19 18:51:02
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Libertys Martyr
    +11
    We should all strive to be as healthy as our vices will allow. If you over-eat or smoke, at least be active and get some exercise. Try to find the yin to your yang or something like that.

• Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/17 21:51:27
  • P. Sturm 2012/09/14 04:28:59
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    P. Sturm
    It effects more people and kills 'em faster.
  • La 2012/08/13 02:48:41
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    La
    I think 70% of people are overweight and only 20% smoke or something.
  • DEN Willow La 2012/10/05 23:03:15
    DEN Willow
    And if they Drink Alcohol ? they not only kills others,they also Kill themselves wuicker then being FAT or SMOKING
  • La DEN Willow 2012/10/10 00:15:12
    La
    True....more people do die each year from alcohol-related diseases. The question was comparing obesity to smoking, so that's what I voted on.
  • DEN Willow La 2012/10/13 15:55:37
    DEN Willow
    I think its just a matter of no exercise,too much garbage food,too much soda,booze,and sometimes it may just be there NATURE like some people are bigger,taller,shorter,fatter,... do know for a fact That ALCOHOL Raises Tryglicerides through the roof in most drinkers,(fat in the Blood) they get big gut ffrom mostly beer and other drinks,it fires the brain,liver,spleenthroat,esop... lining,eyes,etc..And thats a FACT,they just hide it and blame it on not only smokers but passive SMOKE which passive smoke and being dangerous or even harmful is a LIE PERPERTRATED by all the ANTI PIT BULL,Anti SMoking Ignorant PEOPLE that dont know jack abut anything at all.....
  • Crische 2012/08/08 20:35:05
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Crische
    You're only as healthy as you feel. Let the happiness in and your mind will last longer. Most smokers/large people are also wildly unhappy. Some "healthy", "normal" people are wildly depressed also, thus the 50 different types of antidepressant sold through society (which also generally have terrible side effects like stroke, heart attack, etc.) Stand up straight, and find your balance, (will your back straight) and take a hold of your body, every piece is there for a reason.
    Stress is the killer, over-eating and smoking are just bi-products of high stress and unhappiness.
  • Steven 2012/08/01 14:58:59
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Steven
    They both are unhealthy. The difference is one will kill you slowly then the other. Also both are un attractive.

Justin
  • Aleksandr 2012/08/01 13:25:59
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Aleksandr
    Ahh crap I am gaining weight
  • Athena 2012/07/31 21:37:37
    No, smoking is a greater threat.
    Athena
    think about all the pressure... cigarettes are plane gross too... cigarettes give cancer, while obesity is hard to die from unless ur like reall f-ing fat.. like 600 lbs. haha. If your talking bout other druges besides cigarettes then i'd say you have a greater chance of dying over obesity than stuff like weed
  • DEN Willow Athena 2012/08/03 18:09:20
    DEN Willow
    Booze is the biggest Killer and cause of diseases IN THE WORLD,WOrse than CRACK,and HERION and ANY CIGARETTE
  • JessicaPriest 2012/07/31 18:59:20
    No, smoking is a greater threat.
    JessicaPriest
    Statistically, I don't know which poses a greater threat to a persons health....but personally, I feel that smoking is worse but it affects the people around those that smoke. Your can eat all you want in front of me and it won't do anything to me (except maybe gross me out) but smoking near me affects the air I breath and poses a health risk.
  • DEN Willow Jessica... 2012/10/05 23:06:45
    DEN Willow
    Statisitically passive SMOKE IS A LIE Jessica:
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008British Medical Journal & WHO conclude secondhand smoke "health hazard" claims are greatly exaggerated The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.What makes this study more significant than any other is that it took place over a 39 year period, and studied the results of non-smokers who lived with smokers..... meaning these non-smokers were exposed to secondhand smoke up to 24 hours per day; 365 days per year for 39 years. And there was still no relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality.This report was of course silenced in the media; however in light of the damage to business, jobs, and the economy from smoking bans the BMJ report should be revisited by lawmakers as a reference tool and justification to repeal the now unnecessary and very damaging smoking ban laws.Also significant is the World Health Organization (WHO) study which concluded "..secondhand smoking doesn't cause cancer..." found online here.Excerpt:Passive smoking doesn't cause cancer-officialBy Victoria Macdonald, Health CorrespondentThe results are consistent with their being no additional risk f...
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008British Medical Journal & WHO conclude secondhand smoke "health hazard" claims are greatly exaggerated The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.What makes this study more significant than any other is that it took place over a 39 year period, and studied the results of non-smokers who lived with smokers..... meaning these non-smokers were exposed to secondhand smoke up to 24 hours per day; 365 days per year for 39 years. And there was still no relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality.This report was of course silenced in the media; however in light of the damage to business, jobs, and the economy from smoking bans the BMJ report should be revisited by lawmakers as a reference tool and justification to repeal the now unnecessary and very damaging smoking ban laws.Also significant is the World Health Organization (WHO) study which concluded "..secondhand smoking doesn't cause cancer..." found online here.Excerpt:Passive smoking doesn't cause cancer-officialBy Victoria Macdonald, Health CorrespondentThe results are consistent with their being no additional risk for a person living or working with a smoker and could be consistent with passive smoke having a protective effect against lung cancer. The summary, seen by The Telegraph, also states: "There was no association between lung cancer risk and ETS exposure during childhood."And if lawmakers need additional real world data to further highlight the need to eliminate these onerous and arbitrary laws, air quality testing by Johns Hopkins University, the American Cancer Society, a Minnesota Environmental Health Department, and various researchers whose testing and report was also peer reviewed and published in the esteemed British Medical Journal......prove that secondhand smoke is 2.6 - 25,000 times SAFER than occupational (OSHA) workplace regulations.OSHA has established PELs (Permissible Exposure Levels) for all the measurable chemicals,
  • Theresa2000 2012/07/31 14:30:35
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Theresa2000
    I've come across smokers who can run forever, have great blood work and are otherwise healthy despite their smoking. Obesity...? I wish I could say the same.

And just an FYI....BOTH smoking AND obesity are caused by addiction *unless there's a medical reason behind the obesity* otherwise, eating can very much be an addiction and one of THE hardest ones to overcome.
  • 123DeDE 2012/07/28 01:58:03
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    123DeDE
    I for one hate smoking but I do believe that obesity is becoming a bigger problem. I'm not saying that smoking is little compared to obesity but obesity dose cause a lot of long lasting health problems. And more people are becoming obese.
  • Jesferkicks 2012/07/24 17:16:18
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Jesferkicks
    +1
    Have to go with the fat folks on this one because 35% of us are obese and only 20-25% of us smoke.
  • Charles... Jesferk... 2012/07/25 14:21:35
    Charles Braley
    +1
    Plus ........ Obesity costs MORE in long-term health care!
  • Call me Mark willya? 2012/07/24 03:24:51
    No, smoking is a greater threat.
    Call me Mark willya?
    +1
    Smoking is the greater threat because it will never end and it's addictive, I understand Obesity can lead to hundreds of other problems, but I honestly believe that Smoking is what killed my Mother, along with an inept hospital Emergency Room staff and Anesthesiologist. My mother was on Oxygen for the last year and a half of her life, (when I could get her to use it) but she was still the vibrant lively person she had always been. At least that's what the world at large thought. They didn't see her getting winded just to get out of her chair, They didn't see her trying to stand in front of a microwave for 3 minutes and wavering and needing to sit after one... I F@%#ing HATE tobacco companies, (very unpopular opinion in the state that I call home, especially considering that around 80% of the tobacco grown in the United States is grown here in Kentucky.
  • DEN Willow Call me... 2012/08/03 18:10:09
    DEN Willow
    Alcohol is the Biggest killer in the world,LOOK IT UP
  • Call me... DEN Willow 2012/08/23 00:29:33
    Call me Mark willya?
    I kinda have a vendetta against the tobacco companies because my mom wouldn't have died from same-day gall bladder surgery if she'd have been just a little healthier and thanks to fifty years of cigarettes she just couldn't recover.
  • gidianedwards97 2012/07/22 23:39:40
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    gidianedwards97
    It is becoming an extreme threat now that we know more about it.
  • Loneseer gidiane... 2012/07/23 17:58:18
    Loneseer
    Are you a smoker? If you are-go figure.
  • Charles... Loneseer 2012/07/25 14:32:43
    Charles Braley
    +1
    Maybe you should go work in Health care? Because being obese cause MORE health problems that are LONGER lasting - than smoking EVER will!
    Don't believe me? Go work in a nursing home! wink smiley
  • hilllary 2012/07/22 19:18:16
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    hilllary
    Yes. it is another example of Federal Government failures. People have lived on food stamps or other forms of government food supplies for generations and have not worked. We as the Church have received many calls for help when these people run out of food stamps before the end of the month. But if we take food they have to cook they do not want it. And they are obesse.
  • donna.robinson.102 2012/07/22 17:19:44
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    donna.robinson.102
    I feel obesity is because its a silent killer, one could be feeling fine one minute and pass the next, this just happened last week to a friend of my brother and sister inlaw. she was preparing for a party at her home with a friend, she told the freind she felt funny, the friend said maybe i should take you to the hospital, (her doctor had told her she needed to lose weight, after knee surgery last year and excercise she did neither.) she declined saying she wanted to finish the food prep then she was going to lie down, she finished the food prep, told her mother what time to wake her and went to lie down., when her mother went to wake her, she had died, of a heart attack, too much weight on her, her husband went the same way last year, sad, diseases such as diabetes, which i lost two people to, diabetes., as well as obesity being a contributing factor., parents have let it spill out into their children, i have seen weight levels on children that should'nt be, some in which they're obese and still walking around with the snacks in their hands and shoving it in their mouths, if this is the parents way of keeping that child calm, they should realize they are killing them, i hope they wake up soon before its too late.
  • tom 2012/07/22 17:03:00
    No, smoking is a greater threat.
    tom
    Smoking is far more dangerous than obesity ever will.
  • Charles Braley 2012/07/22 16:29:50
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Charles Braley
    At lest us smokers don't have to worry about dieting, being stigmatized as "lazy/eat too much, life long issues/concerns with diabetes & related ailments, etc!
  • hasher Charles... 2012/07/26 14:13:54
    hasher
    there are smokers who are also fat!! and smoking contributes to many heath issues. such as cancer heart disease.
  • Charles... hasher 2012/07/27 00:25:32
    Charles Braley
    Tru , biut not all smokers are fat, nor do all fat people smoke - especially when the national average is just a few ticks below 25% of the total U.S. adult population smokes.

Plus - working as a Nurse Aide and Direct Care Worker for OVER 20 yrs, I have YET to see many OBESE residents (short-term or long-term), as I have seen smokers or non-smokers in their senior years.

Wonder why that is? hmmmmm?

But yes - that STILL doesn't mean smokers get off card blanche! Because strokes, high blood pressure, COPD, etc are very real serious health problems amongst most of the elderly smokers. And most generally - usually ends up being at least a contributing factor in their demise.
  • DEN Willow hasher 2012/08/03 18:11:28
    DEN Willow
    Tell that to the mummies that had heart and artery disease and guess WHAT ? NO TOBACCO BACK THEN...SO your THEORY is 1000% WRONG
  • Red Rage 2012/07/22 16:24:05
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Red Rage
    Lose weight, FATTIES.
  • HipJipC Red Rage 2012/07/23 22:20:01
  • ajracestables1 2012/07/22 15:38:55
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    ajracestables1
    When I quit smoking, my eating habits sucked, my cholesteral went up, my trigl sucked and my bloodwork went bad, I smoked 2 packs a day for 23 years and did not have those problems. I'm not saying smoking is good because it is not but unhealthy food has the ability to kill you just as easily as smoking does.
  • Charles... ajraces... 2012/07/22 20:13:52
    Charles Braley
    +1
    If not FASTER!
  • DEN Willow ajraces... 2012/08/03 18:12:45
    DEN Willow
    +1
    The Mummies had no tobacco back then,they all dies from heart disase from all the Garbage foods and WINES AND BEER,Thats what killed them
  • Chucky69 2012/07/22 11:42:32
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Chucky69
    +1
    Here in the "REAL WORLD" ............... I've seen lots more SMOKING senior citizens, than I have seen OBESE senior citizens - by a very huge, wide margin!
  • Lone Wolf 2012/07/22 11:39:58
    Yes, obesity is a greater threat.
    Lone Wolf
    They are both = in BAD. Smoking can do alot of damage but so can being obesity. Both are not good to look at, both are health problems, ect....
  • Red Rage Lone Wolf 2012/07/22 16:25:51
    Red Rage
    Being OBESITY? Dropping out of high school might be just as dangerous as either two for you.
  • NUCKLEDRAGGER 2012/07/22 09:12:56
    No, smoking is a greater threat.
    NUCKLEDRAGGER
    +1
    Man are people really this stupid, smoking kills the fit as well as the unfit. I know a lot of people who are fat and in their 70's and 80's but most of the people I have seen die from smoking died in their 40's and 50's. Smoking killed my father my mother my uncle and even if my son did die of a drug overdose he stop breathing because of his asthma. His asthma was made worst because he smoked. He might be alive today if he had not smoked and his lungs had been stronger, he was only 19. I think people said obesity because of the brainwashing of television. My uncle Billy Dan is in his late 70's and fat but he just keeps going. My uncle Ray was a strong man most likely his body fat was less than 10% but he smoked and died of cancer. I understand being fat is bad for you but smoking will kill you a lot faster. I weighted 297lbs 9 months ago I now weight 229 I hope to be 199 by Nov 26 when I turn 54. People do not need to smoke to live but we have to eat to live. That is why I say give us fatties a break we have to play with our tigers 3 times a day, other addicts can simply stop using.
  • Red Rage NUCKLED... 2012/07/22 16:26:44
    Red Rage
    Good post.

2014/12/19 08:04:32