NYC Public Schools Change ‘Discipline Code’ To Ease Penalties For Smoking, Cursing, Etc: Is It a Good Idea?

Daryl 2012/08/30 19:00:00
In an effort to keep kids in class, the New York public school system has decided to be more lenient on one-time, low level offenses like talking back and cursing.

NEWYORK.CBSLOCAL.COM reports:
Our goal is to make sure the schools are providing a safe environment for our students, but also we just don't push students out of the classroom where they're not learning as well" Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott said.
learning schools chancellor dennis walcott news sports weather traffic ny

Read More: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/29/new-nyc-doe...

• Daryl 2012/08/30 16:38:10
    Daryl
    +27
    NYC government schools graduate little monsters that know all about 'gay rights' but almost nothing of the basic skills to function as adults.

Could you imagine how much worse they will be when there is effectively no discipline except the fascist enforcement of leftist orthodoxy?

This is what happens when liberals get their way.

• T Bevan 2013/01/04 12:52:32
    T Bevan
    It is a sad situation....

spare the rod spoil the child
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/03 23:20:38
  • Dave 007 2012/11/17 14:55:20
    Dave 007
    Bad idea.
  • Tomboy110 2012/10/04 05:29:33
    Tomboy110
    It dont matter if there are gangs in Georgia there are drugies in NYC who didnt see this coming.
  • Bob P. ... Tomboy110 2012/12/07 06:25:55
    Bob P. Clarkson
    I'm sorry for troubling you, but could you say what you said in a manner that others can understand? Or at least refer to whom you are answering. How do gangs in Georgia connect in any way to druggies in NYC who didn't see this coming?
  • rob render 2012/09/21 22:01:45
    rob render
    Hey everyone let's light up in class we can't get suspended for it anymore. Brilliant school board members.
  • Butch 2012/09/13 09:33:18
  • supreme 2012/09/08 11:58:55
    supreme
    That's like facilitating bad behavior. Rules exist for a reason.
  • mind-pilot supreme 2012/09/09 19:01:46
    mind-pilot
    That's right. Get real yanks. Now that your country is getting older you need to get a bit, more realistic with you bloody kids. At age 11, have the headmaster come in and assign futures to the kids to avoid wasting good teaching on dumbass's. "Bobby" you can't read or pay attention you're not going to college, off to a trade school for you. Cindy, you can't sing, you'll never be an artist off to "management college" for you. Billy, you have the capability but you don't apply. You're out of school and go get yourself a job, you'll never amount to nothing. Hell, they did that to John Lennon. Why not start using that on the yankee kids who don't want to go to school? Yankee kids are so spoiled, plus, they're not that smart. What, 47th in the world? Get real. There's too many pampered kids. And, athletic scholarships is just for the gambling industry. Sports is for stupid people. Academics is for the smarter ones......get real yanks!
  • Bob P. ... mind-pilot 2012/12/07 06:29:45
    Bob P. Clarkson
    I live in the United States, but in NO way am I a "Yank".

If you really knew as much as you think you do, you might be dangerous. But you're not guilty of either charge.
  • mind-pilot Bob P. ... 2012/12/07 16:55:09
    mind-pilot
    Ok Bobby,you can't read or pay attention so no college for you. You must dig ditches. And if you ain't a Yank what are you?
  • T 2012/09/08 11:51:52
    T
    I always thought the language rules were too much, anyways. The most important thing is that the students spend more time in the classroom. As far as smoking, if it really was keeping that many kids out of school, then my position is that it's not as big of a deal as keeping kids in the classroom.
  • Bob P. ... T 2012/12/07 06:48:29
    Bob P. Clarkson
    My DIL is a teacher in a "rough" district. If she could get the little juvenile delinquents that cause problems in the classroom out of the classroom, she would have more time to teach the interested ones.

They are paid to teach. They are not baby-sitters.

Back in the dark ages, when I taught, if a particular group was causing a class to be disrupted, I would go to the blackboard and write down my name, and under that I would write, "Official Graduate of the Vietnam School of Baby Killers". I never had a single young thug out-stare me or fail to shut up if I walked toward one who kept up his yapping.

The primary rule in my classrooms was that showing respect was required. Everyone, including me, addressed every other male as "Sir". Everyone, including me, addressed every young woman as "Miss" (OK, so I wasn't a real favorite of the femi-nazis later on).

Other teachers would comment about having one of my students in their class because they let a "Sir" or "Miss" occasionally pop out of their mouths.

Young people need discipline and need to know that classroom rules WILL be enforced. Socializing a young human takes an extraordinarily long time.
  • lm1b2 2012/09/07 20:59:47
    lm1b2
    If anything discipline should be made tougher,start expelling the unruly ones! I attended both private,and public schools,the best thing the private had going for them was discipline.
  • Edie 2012/09/07 00:51:04
    Edie
    The rules should be enforced each infraction.
  • trudy.padden 2012/09/06 23:13:50
    trudy.padden
    i'd rather have children in school cussing then at home cussing
  • michael.reeves.3150 2012/09/06 18:48:37
    michael.reeves.3150
    talking back and cursing are going to be done anyway
  • ajracestables1 2012/09/06 17:33:12
    ajracestables1
    Why keep giving the next generation lollipops? They need to learn disapline and responsibilities like everyone else. If you don't follow the rules or brake the law then you will have to pay for your actions. Good or bad. People need to take responsibility for there own actions, not blaming everybody else for there own mistakes.
  • Empathic 2012/09/05 23:00:40 (edited)
    Empathic
    Corporal punishment was banned and replaced with suspension and expulsion, much more violent reactions because they rip apart children's social groups and (even more importantly) define children as too unworthy to remain in the same social/educational processes as their peers. Goodbye school and society, hello antisocial gangs where children will feel welcomed. In contrast, the cane was a matter-of-fact, short consequence following which the child remained securely in the school with positive expectations conveyed to him/her about future behaviour. When I attended highschool caning was used and expulsions were very rare. Children were kept in the fold. There's no perfect approach, and certainly there was a need to rationalize and place research-based boundaries around corporal punishment, but the current approach is destroying many children's education and seriously damaging society. The theory that school and community violence would reduce when 'adults stopped modelling violence to children' has simply not been supported by results; quite the contrary. That theory always placed excessive reliance on social modelling as a determinent of behaviour while underestimating the importance of adult authority and behavioural conditioning through reward and punishment. This e...
    Corporal punishment was banned and replaced with suspension and expulsion, much more violent reactions because they rip apart children's social groups and (even more importantly) define children as too unworthy to remain in the same social/educational processes as their peers. Goodbye school and society, hello antisocial gangs where children will feel welcomed. In contrast, the cane was a matter-of-fact, short consequence following which the child remained securely in the school with positive expectations conveyed to him/her about future behaviour. When I attended highschool caning was used and expulsions were very rare. Children were kept in the fold. There's no perfect approach, and certainly there was a need to rationalize and place research-based boundaries around corporal punishment, but the current approach is destroying many children's education and seriously damaging society. The theory that school and community violence would reduce when 'adults stopped modelling violence to children' has simply not been supported by results; quite the contrary. That theory always placed excessive reliance on social modelling as a determinent of behaviour while underestimating the importance of adult authority and behavioural conditioning through reward and punishment. This error is part of a bigger picture in which female sensitivities and feminist preferences have been allowed to predominate while male ways of doing things have been discarded. The baby has been thrown out with the bathwater, and the ongoing prevalence of feminism has meant that failing methods now keep being used in the hope that by doing them even more they will eventually, magically work. This latest proposed surrender by adults towards badly-behaved children is just another step in this foolish parade, necessary only because current ideology and methods are insufficient. Wake up.
  • dragon88 2012/09/05 22:48:54
    dragon88
    +1
    The best ways too keep students in schools is by having an environment where everyone is supposed to act like mature, intelligent, and civilized adults. Which should include no cursing and no smoking. There should be harsh punishments for bullies and students that dress like this: pants near floor
  • musicman95 2012/09/05 21:29:11
    musicman95
    I wouldn't say its a good idea, but if out keeps kids in school then more power to ya.
  • fightingquip 2012/09/05 20:55:12
    fightingquip
    Don't even get me started. As a teacher in a New York City public high school, I can only say.....That's all we need. Let's just keep lowering the standards so that our kids are even more unprepared for the world than they already are. It's about respect. In some schools teachers and administrators are called by their first names so that the students FEEL equal.

The line between child and adult is blurred. Students know they can mouth off, cause all the trouble they want, disrupt classes, and disrespect teachers and have absolutely nothing happen to them besides a slap on the wrist. And most of the parents are just as bad, actually encouraging kids to disrespect teachers because they're "white," or because the parents are just as dysfunctional as the students and assume that they are owed an education and that the "teachers work for them" because it is a public school.

The world is passing us up. Most Europeans and Asians laugh at how uneducated and vulgar we are. By the time they are sixteen or seventeen they are speaking three or four languages fluently and have culturally enriched lives (meaning extensive art and music exposure and appreciation). Kids in the U.S., on the other hand, can barely speak English, have math and science shoved down their throats a...

The world is passing us up. Most Europeans and Asians laugh at how uneducated and vulgar we are. By the time they are sixteen or seventeen they are speaking three or four languages fluently and have culturally enriched lives (meaning extensive art and music exposure and appreciation). Kids in the U.S., on the other hand, can barely speak English, have math and science shoved down their throats at the expense of other subject that at the end of their high school career of math and science, math and science, math and science (which, globally speaking we are not even good at) that schools are just turning out little robots who don't know how to be truly creative. The only thing kids seem to be interested is in spending as much time Facebook, YouTube, or their cell phones as they possibly can. They HAVE to be connected all of the time. It is a sickness, like drug addiction or alcoholism, that is just consuming them. The things that gain popularity are "iPads, iPods, iPhones (notice the prefix I, I , I) because our culture is just about me, me, me...everyone is trying so hard to be unique and different that they all end up being the same.

So, yes, let's keep lowering the bar and flushing our standards down the toilet, because eventually that is where we, as a country, are going to end up.
  • Pedalpusher 2012/09/05 19:54:47
    Pedalpusher
    They are going to allow kids to talk back to their teachers? They just lost all control! This must've came from the originator of "No child held back"! So we just let them do what they want in school and the at 18 hand them a certificate of survival?
  • Pedalpu... Pedalpu... 2012/09/05 19:58:59
    Pedalpusher
    I forgot to add that kids that want to learn and go on to College aren't going to stand a chance in that kind of environment! Maybe we should add Social Behavior rating to the report cards!
  • Gerald 2012/09/05 19:26:13
    Gerald
    NO. For minor infractions, It's much better to involve the police & courts/legal system (like many schools already do) & punish these children severely. The ultimate goal is to completely destroy their lives & breed a generation of unemployable "criminals". I've read about cases were the police have been called to schools (& rightly so) for such despicable & heinous crimes as.....spit-balls, turning the lights of in the girls bathroom (Toledo, Ohio), etc. The ultimate goal of schools should be "indoctrination" & not education. The prison industrial complex has become an increasingly important component in American society. Schools play an important & vital part of that system. There are judges, prosecutors, lawyers, prison guards, police, etc, all of whom need employment (& justification for their existence). Schools help "funnel" children into "the system", thus insuring a never ending supply of "prison fodder". Going after school children for minor offenses, rather then going after murderers, rapists, violent criminals, etc, is a more efficient & better use of our tax dollars/legal system.
    Obviously I am being sarcastic, but much of what I pointed out does occur regularly. Honestly I am very surprised that the schools are letting up & going that route. After all, bureaucracy & common sense seldom occupy the same space @ the same time. "Zero Tolerance" policies are proof of that.
  • LilacsGirl Kym 2012/09/05 18:05:18
    LilacsGirl Kym
    It's not the responsibility nor the right of the school to discipline children. It's the responsibility of the parents. Your child should be a mensch when they arrive at school, and behave themselves according to the standard expected from them at home. If parents are lax, and their kids are rude, violent, and uncontrollable, they should be banned from school until the parent sorts it out. A child who clears their dishes, helps with chores, says please and thank you, and is taught fairness, respect, honesty and responsibility at home does not act out at school. In order for your child to learn these things, you have to treat THEM with respect, dignity, fairness, and honesty. I believe today's parents have 'background' kids - not participating family members as children. Too many parents have to PAY ATTENTION to the kids, not just cite rules and expect them to be obeyed because you 'say so'. Never gonna work, by the time there's a problem at school, it's already way too late to start disciplining at school. Just teach them, and leave the child rearing to the parents. It's not the school's job.
  • Classical Liberal 2012/09/05 14:12:19
  • Jasper2 Classic... 2012/11/23 14:28:12
    Jasper2
    You liberals have such a way with words. You need a little dose of soap in your own mouth. Do you know what a comma splice is? You are very "liberal" with them.
  • Classic... Jasper2 2012/11/24 19:16:38
    Classical Liberal
    And yet I used them properly.
  • suesman 2012/09/05 12:59:22
    suesman
    Absolutely not.....kids get away with way too much crap already. I think they should bring back corporal punishment.
  • LilacsG... suesman 2012/09/05 18:07:11
    LilacsGirl Kym
    +1
    I think you should have a dose of corporal punishment. Just so you have something to think about.
  • Gerald suesman 2012/09/05 19:32:03
    Gerald
    +1
    What are you.....some bleeding heart liberal? Corporal punishment? HA! Why stop there? Why not implement "capital punishment" for the most minor offenses? That'll teach'em! If a child gets for caught for truancy or smoking, take him out behind the school to face a firing squad. You're a degenerate, ignorant, slob. Corporal punishment. Call it what it really is. "Assault". So if you made some mistake @ work, obviously you'd have no problem if you're boss pulled your pants down & spanked you? You're a pretty sick/twisted individual.
  • LilacsG... Gerald 2012/09/27 21:52:07
    LilacsGirl Kym
    Excellent answer, Gerald!!
  • charlene 2012/09/05 12:00:50
    charlene
    Absolutely not! Have you seen what the lowering of standards has done to our schools, our streets?
  • P. Sturm 2012/09/05 11:05:17
    P. Sturm
    Smoking and cursing? sure. Talking back? smack the little mother!
  • westernslope~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/05 10:54:36
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    a step in the wrong direction
  • concerned dude 2012/09/05 10:46:30
    concerned dude
    +2
    So NYC teachers suck so bad that they want to ease life for those kids because they can't teach? What a joke
  • Buffalobill91 2012/09/05 09:13:22
    Buffalobill91
    Lower standards to make it all appear better??? Lol...yeah,this sure seems to be typical as of late with many things in our county....what a joke.

I would rather see a single ethical and productive member of society come of of a school system than 1000 unethical, classless, and useless graduates.
  • Pedalpu... Buffalo... 2012/09/05 20:04:41
    Pedalpusher
    +1
    And the employers aren't warned what they are getting!!
  • brian 2012/09/05 07:37:50
    brian
    +1
    I think it's good to try new ideas. If we don't experience we will never know. It can't hurt to try something new in this modern age of teen angst and confusion, with the drop out rate the way it is. We should be making it harder for kids to give up, and easier for them to get an education. This isn't grandpas days of discipline anymore.

2014/09/16 05:03:34