NOW Is the Time For All Good Men to [Get On Public Assistance]

Transquesta 2012/11/09 23:24:56
No, I haven't lost my mind. Please to hear me out. :-)

Today, while "a friend of mine" was happily blowing leaves from one end of his yard to the other, his calm was disturbed when a couple of 'sports enthusiasts' ran by gleefully discussing the fun they'd been having by "rubbing the salt in the wounds of angry Republicans." Although he's not a republican by any stretch, my friend began to get angry at the unapologetic orgy of schadenfreude taking place in front of him. As the two Obama supporters disappeared at the end of the street, an idea began to form in the mind of my friend.

Standing before you is a monster of unimaginable malevolence and power. Trying to defeat it by any normal means would be suicide. It has given you three choices; be destroyed by it all at once, be slowly consumed by it, or become dependent upon it. How does one kill a monster of such magnitude and ill will? You can't engage it in battle and you can't make it better by 'working within the system'--a/k/a its belly. The only option you have is to play the rules by the monster's game. You simply starve it to death. How?

By becoming 'dependent' on it. You avail yourself of every resource it says you 'qualify for' by whatever means it has of determining your 'entitlement.' You take from it whatever it will give you while simultaneously ensuring that you produce nothing on which it can feed. You learn the ropes and you become as 'poor' as you need to be in order to win its 'sympathy.' You ask it over and over again for this, that or the other resource while quietly relieving yourself of whatever it can get in return.

"My friend" suggests that, practically, the only way to do this is to become a recipient of the monster's 'welfare' while reducing your production of 'consumables (I think he meant income)' to zero. He says that if you have any ethical compunction against taking the proceeds of the resources of other victims of the monster, you could just store--as in a bank or gold for instance--or give away an amount of your own resources equivalent to that which you take from the monster and (here's the juicy part) donate it to a tax-deductible charity, the libertarian party, the NRA, etc. :-) If enough people do this, eventually the monster would grow weaker and weaker, and finally collapse under the weight of its own depravity/rapaciousness. The monster is going to die in any case when it runs out of victims, so why not help it along? Call it assisted suicide.

Needless to say, all prospective victims of this monster would be wise to exercise extreme caution when bringing this plan of passive resistance (a form of hyper-compliance, actually) to fruition. Done right, nothing suggested here is, by any stretch of the monster's definition, 'illegal.' Done wrong. . .well, refer to the potential fates above. (Did my friend happen to mention that part of the definition of being "consumed by the monster" could include a ten year stretch married to Tyrone on account of a charge of tax evasion? Why, yes. Yes he did. :-))

Finally, consider how much quicker the socialist dystopia in Atlas Shrugged would have come to a crashing end had the inhabitants of Galt's Gulch gotten on welfare as well as shrugged? Just a thought. :-)

(Note: if you like my friend's idea, please feel free to share it.)

• Daring Blasphemer BN-0 2012/11/10 00:36:37
    Daring Blasphemer BN-0
    +13
    I love this idea. GO. Please quit the workforce and try to live off the government tit. Anyone who thinks this is a good idea has NEVER lived on welfare. Well, I grew up poor in various roach infested trailers across Missouri. We were never on welfare but we were on food stamps throughout my childhood. (My sisters and I are now ALL productive members of society.) Many of the parents of my friends WERE on welfare and it is NOT easy. You can not make ends meet. It can not be done. You have no idea what you are talking about! Go ahead give up your house because welfare is not enough to make those payments and if they find out you are getting money anywhere else they will remove that much from your check keeping you as poor as possible. Your credit is going to be destroyed. Your car is going to be repossessed and you are going to be living in a bad neighborhood with your cable TV and your iPhone; dependent on public transportation while you desperately try to find a job after you wake from this venomous hatefest and realize just how badly you screwed up!

• mr3 2013/10/05 18:43:11 (edited)
  • yaaarrrggghhh 2012/11/12 14:01:21
    yaaarrrggghhh
    +1
    The cure you are proposing would work, but with some rather unfortunate side effects. I would liken it to the blood letting practices of medieval medicine. The idea was to hemorrhage the ailment from the body. Unfortunately, in more persistent cases, the ailment was only cured when the body died.
  • Transqu... yaaarrr... 2012/11/12 22:16:26
    Transquesta
    +1
    I see your point, but I like the back-fire analogy better. :-)
  • Denis B 2012/11/11 16:56:20 (edited)
    Denis B
    +1
    Interesting. In my opinion, here is what caused this outcome. I have been a businessperson who has been self employed for over a decade. The so called "commercial" class showed nothing but petty jealousy at my intents of creating self employment, employment for others and paying taxes. The elements of this "commercial" class even encouraged non documented immigrants who were not of our belief system to do so. All I would hear is "six and not eight", in addition to the excuse that I was the wrong color. The outcome is that our economy has been surpassed in economic capacity by a monoracial culture which has nothing else to do but to study our example and improve upon it.. I think that the attitude of the so called "commercial" class with their unclean petty jealousy and racial narcissism caused this outcome. Most people would rather work for a living than receive a handout. When the so called "commercial" class performs this type of behavior, the outcome is that the country that they practice it in goes through famine. It has happened before and can happen again..Go ahead, get on welfare and live at the expense of those who work instead of using your talents at business. Does destroying feel better than creating?
  • Bevos 2012/11/11 15:46:13
    Bevos
    +1
    Would you please tell your Ron Paulites to stop ATTACKING us that voted for Romney/Ryan? Appreciate it. They are getting as bad as OWEbamabots!!!
  • Eris All Hail! 2012/11/11 13:07:40
    Eris All Hail!
    +1
    CHAOS!! I love it when my worshipers give themselves whole-heartedly to me. I wonder who will receive my Golden Apple.
  • chucky 2012/11/11 07:54:45
    chucky
    +1
    I would set up a Website, maybe call it ''Sons of qqqqqqq.'' MC Club.With a slogan ''we love the freedom of the road'' Of course joining the club would not be easy. We would not want to do a stretch of any kind.Applicants would have to have special skills,of course. Those that would like to join, would receive a Warning before they even begin the process.Organisation would be the key.Applicants would have to agree to Polygraph and more advanced testing by members who have specialists in that field,the applicant must have skills.He must have a American made Motorcycle ,the Engine Capacity of not less than 1000cc and he must be a rider.
  • zebsmom 2012/11/11 04:59:59
    zebsmom
    +1
    Interesting theory. Definitely true, but then again, I'd rather not have the government collapse. The riots and ensuing revolution wouldn't be pretty. think of what happened every other time... I strongly suspect we wouldn't be any different.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/11/11 04:17:39
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    +1
    The proposition is to protest by cannibalizing our nation too, as a form of passive resistance. It's not a very practical or viable solution for a heap of reasons.

A more positive alternative would be to launch, nurture and live a number of positive 'slow movements' that add up to healing and building not just a nation but also ourselves. http://sari0009.xanga.com/755...
  • Transqu... KarenIn... 2012/11/11 06:41:48
    Transquesta
    Thanks for your contribution. The entire thrust of this poll is to get people thinking about new and inventive ways to get their country back. WHICH plan doesn't matter as long as there IS a plan.
  • John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/11/11 02:48:06
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    +1
    Here Here my people are gathering...
  • oldcavpilot 2012/11/10 22:07:29
    oldcavpilot
    +2
    You have a very strange idea on how to ruin you and your family's lives. Couldn't you and 'your friend' have been more creative?
  • Transqu... oldcavp... 2012/11/10 22:47:35
    Transquesta
    Yes, but that would have negated the fringe benefits of presenting the idea this way. :-)
  • oldcavp... Transqu... 2012/11/11 04:09:16
    oldcavpilot
    +1
    I'm glad there are bennies.
  • RezcrashGB 2012/11/10 20:00:04
    RezcrashGB
    +1
    Would only work if everyone done it , though it would be great .
    You never know it could bring a No confidence vote by his own party
  • norma.j.wertz 2012/11/10 18:46:26
    norma.j.wertz
    +2
    Right ! lets just all give in ! give up our free will Liberty freedom and GOD given rights.Lets do it -- destroy ourselves from within. Quit encouraging Values morals ethics. Take it all and leave nothing for the future generations then expect them to care for us in our elder years.---Oh and don't forget to be compliant to the Beast . The borrower is slave to the lender. NO thanks . In God I trust AMEN What are we doing for Gods sake??
  • Transqu... norma.j... 2012/11/10 20:04:30
    Transquesta
    Then come up with your own plan. Frankly, I'm sick of the "nothing will work" whiners. At this point I'm much more into offering up ANY plan which MIGHT work.

One thing's for damned sure. The system has inoculated itself against being changed, repaired or maintained via the usual (electoral) process. Knowing this, it becomes incumbent on all Americans who CLAIM to give a damn to come up with an alternative method. Your method is. . .?
  • norma.j... Transqu... 2012/12/02 19:15:23
    norma.j.wertz
    +1
    You must have mis-understood I was making a mockery. There first must be a system and yes it has inoculated itself against being changed . Exactly why we the people need to consider what has and is happening-perhaps God does help those that help themselves. Humble ourselves and Pray might be a good start.
  • Transqu... norma.j... 2012/12/02 19:56:56
    Transquesta
    I understood your point and motivation perfectly. That's precisely why I modeled my response so as to give you nothing to 'play off' of. I'm interested in IDEAS--not trolling and childish 'mocking.'

NOW. . .as for humbling ourselves and praying, I think that'd be a fantastic idea. Not very likely in the current climate, especially given that the arrogance of secularism/atheism feeds on itself, but a grand idea nevertheless.
  • Heptarch 2012/11/10 14:50:40 (edited)
    Heptarch
    +5
    I find the irony of your "friend" being launched on his little intellectual adventure by the nastiness of Obama supporters exquisite.

Tell me, what sorts of intellectual fancies did he conceive during the last four years of hatred, fear-mongering and misinformation condoned by the right wing induce in him?
  • Transqu... Heptarch 2012/11/10 18:45:12
    Transquesta
    +1
    My 'friend' is hardly an intellectual, but your question is valid. Although he holds republican statists in as much disdain as liberal ones, thus far he hasn't observed republicans being guilty of the same schadenfreude in public. :-)

I do imagine, though, that he would contrive a similar plan if he had.
  • Heptarch Transqu... 2012/11/10 19:07:31
    Heptarch
    +3
    "thus far he hasn't observed republicans being guilty of the same schadenfreude in public."

Then he hasn't been looking.

When one of the leaders of a party states, unequivocally, that the goal of the party is to stonewall everything a sitting President does for four years to deny him re-election, that's fairly clear evidence of the same kind of institutionalized political hatred that the two idiots mentioned in your original post were guilty of.
  • Transqu... Heptarch 2012/11/10 19:31:03
    Transquesta
    +1
    "Then he hasn't been looking. "

He lives in a predominantly liberal area of a major metro. Such encounters aren't very likely.

"When one of the leaders of a party states, unequivocally, that the goal of the party is to stonewall everything a sitting President does for four years to deny him re-election, that's fairly clear evidence of the same kind of institutionalized political hatred that the two idiots mentioned in your original post were guilty of."

At least you have sufficient intellectual integrity to have characterized the two runners correctly. Unfortunately, obstructionism isn't new and it HARDLY constitutes "institutionalized political hatred." I was really hoping for a better example. Sniff. :-)
  • Heptarch Transqu... 2012/11/10 20:06:46
    Heptarch
    +3
    "He lives in a predominantly liberal area of a major metro. Such encounters aren't very likely."

Ah, that makes sense.

"At least you have sufficient intellectual integrity to have characterized the two runners correctly."

Hey, an idiot is an idiot. I've said many times before on this site that I'm an Independent Moderate and it's true. If a Liberal acts the fool, I'll call him on it just as quickly as a Conservative.

"Unfortunately, obstructionism isn't new and it HARDLY constitutes "institutionalized political hatred." I was really hoping for a better example. Sniff. :-)"

Fair enough. How about the tacit condoning of the Birther nonsense (though that HAS gotten better as time has gone on)? How about the constant fear-mongering about Obamacare (Death Panels, et al)? How about the thinly (and sometime not-so-thinly) veiled insinuations that Obama and other Democrats are somehow less American, or even the "enemy", because they disagree with how the country should be run?
  • Transqu... Heptarch 2012/11/10 20:15:40
    Transquesta
    "Fair enough. How about the tacit condoning of the Birther nonsense (though that HAS gotten better as time has gone on)? "

Closer. MUCH closer. Personally I think birthers are morons with OCD as opposed to haters, but admittedly the distinctions are subtle.

"How about the constant fear-mongering about Obamacare (Death Panels, et al)?"

That, the existence of death panels, is a valid concern given the 'net effect' of Obamacare--millions more added to a system from which doctors are leaving in droves. SOMEBODY will have to be placed in the position of rationing services. Either way this isn't "institutionalized political hatred." Even if it were it'd be hatred of an idea, not of a man, persons or groups.

"How about the thinly (and sometime not-so-thinly) veiled insinuations that Obama and other Democrats are somehow less American, or even the 'enemy', because they disagree with how the country should be run?"

You're getting warmer, although, again, the 'hatred' here is focused more on an idea than the people who subscribe to same. To someone who values the original ideals on which this country was built, liberalism IS 'the enemy.' It is antithetical to individual autonomy, free enterprise, etc.
  • Heptarch Transqu... 2012/11/10 20:38:24 (edited)
    Heptarch
    +2
    "SOMEBODY will have to be placed in the position of rationing services."

That already happens, except right now it's the private insurers "rationing care" based on profit margin. Given the choice, I'll choose an inefficient bureaucracy over outright fraud and malice.

"Either way this isn't "institutionalized political hatred.""

Sure it is. It's willful misrepresentation with the express intent of fomenting fear and hatred. Republicans are (in)famous for using fear to motivate their base. This is just another example.

"Even if it were it'd be hatred of an idea, not of a man, persons or groups."

You're the only one making that distinction. I didn't. But I disagree with your characterization anyway, since I doubt very much that they would have spread such fear if the idea had been a Republican one. It's about demonizing any idea by Democrats, and that's the sort of institutional hatred I'm talking about.

"You're getting warmer, although, again, the 'hatred' here is focused more on an idea than the people who subscribe to same."

Again, that's a distinction only you are making. I'm talking about institutional political hatred in general. It doesn't matter if it's against one man, one party or one idea. It's the politics of fear, anger and division that I'm talking abo...

Again, that's a distinction only you are making. I'm talking about institutional political hatred in general. It doesn't matter if it's against one man, one party or one idea. It's the politics of fear, anger and division that I'm talking about.

"To someone who values the original ideals on which this country was built, liberalism IS 'the enemy.'"

That is because they cannot conceive that a Liberal is just as interested in keeping this country great as they are. They are taught to hate and fear Liberalism... indeed, the portion of your post I just quoted agrees implicitly that Republicans hate that which they do not agree with.

Further, the characterization that Liberalism is counter to the ideals of the Founding Fathers is part of the problem. Setting aside the deification of the Founding Fathers, with the doctrine of their infallibility that it engenders, it assumes that there is only one valid way of interpreting what they wanted. It assumes that the Founding Fathers, if they lived today, would still be bound to ideas that were only valid in the closing years of the 18th century, not the opening of the 21st. I decline to accept that.

Keep in mind that there were some Founding Fathers who would likely have supported universal, federalized health care. There is strong evidence that both John Adams and George Washignton were advocates of universal health care paid by federal taxes.

"It is antithetical to individual autonomy, free enterprise, etc."

That is only one opinion of it. Another is that by freeing the citizenry from the need to worry about providing for their own health care, they are free to pursue self-fulfillment.

Free enterprise would be a wonderful goal... if it were not always attended by the abuses and exploitation of unregulated capitalism. Free Enterprise is just as evil as Communism in the hands of the wrong men. The Founding Fathers would have been aghast at the age of robber barons, had they been alive to see it.
  • john.newell.771 2012/11/10 14:40:11
    john.newell.771
    +1
    In theory it sounds reasonable but have you ever been to one of the government offices that administer such programs? Government workers (at least those few I have seen with Social Security, IRS and VA) are the largest group of incompetent morons of any "work" force in the universe. Most are minorities and can barely speak English even if they were born in this country, they speak a ghetto dialect that is undecipherable to someone that is not a rapper or prison inmate. Thank God you can deal with SS and Medicare online without having to encounter the affirmative action morons face to face - unless there is a problem, and then you are screwed. An average WASP citizen that walks in the door is considered the enemy and will be treated with the most disdain humanly possible.
  • Albert Rogers 2012/11/10 14:38:40
    Albert Rogers
    +2
    I have already quit the workforce, about a decade ago, under the good old Civil Service retirement system. I accepted a legal bribe to do so, a lump sum of money offered by the US government to any person in the agency who was willing to switch from being a paid employee of the taxpayers, to a significantly lower paid retiree.
    The chief reason for this offer, I am convinced, was that I was employed by an agency charged with the regulation of certain energy industries. For two or three years before I accepted this offer, my own attempts to carry out my duty to the taxpayers had been systematically discouraged by upper management, in response to a majority in Congress that imagined a free market to be the simple absence of regulation by an elected government. As Adam Smith would tell you, an unregulated oligopoly is not a free market.
  • clasact 2012/11/10 10:57:04
    clasact
    +1
    Sorry but I would rather work and support my own
  • Prophet 2012/11/10 10:10:51
    Prophet
    +1
    Lets all show our support for our president. GO ON WELFARE.
  • AdmrlLocke 2012/11/10 08:48:32
    AdmrlLocke
    +2
    I really should quit all three of my jobs and go on welfare, but I'd have to live in a neighborhood where I'd have to join a gang for protection, but frankly I don't think such places have too many gangs for people like me. :-P
  • Common Sense 2013 2012/11/10 08:17:56
    Common Sense 2013
    +3
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." - Relating to prices and the poor, 1766

ben franklin
  • PrettieReptar 2012/11/10 04:20:08
    PrettieReptar
    +2
    You may not have a choice but become part of the system. I have a family member who applied for job a few weeks ago and was asked to fill out a few Federal forms: Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) and the Welfare to Work Credit (WtW). He was hired, worked his first day upon which the company gave him these forms; on the second day he turned in the forms and on the third day first thing in the morning, the company fired him. Their reason? "The company did not have a place for him".

So why hire him to begin with? Now this is a person who is a hard worker, shows up on time, doesn't call in sick and doesn't complain. Something was not adding up.

In case anyone is not familiar with this: it incentivizes employers to hire certain classes of people: those on welfare. Basically this is Corporate Welfare. And these companies hire people, keep them for the maximum amount of time to collect the credit and then replace them. Or they hire them, give them the paperwork and find out they don't qualify, then come up with some bogus reason to let them go. (to make it seem like they aren't abusing the system).

Yup that's right. Since he was not on welfare or ever been on welfare he was lost his job.
  • rocat 2012/11/10 03:31:34
    rocat
    +2
    would require something-
    which humanity sucks at-

reining in desire-

Siddhartha was right...eh???
  • jimrthy... rocat 2012/11/10 07:34:16
    jimrthy BN-0
    +2
    Surprisingly, that part really isn't all that difficult.
  • rocat jimrthy... 2012/11/10 08:08:03
    rocat
    +2
    i agree...however...
    regardless of the level of difficulty...
    most of humanity still sucks at reining in desires-

only those who successfully limit desire...
    understand the rewards thereof-
  • Tinka123 rocat 2012/11/10 14:22:31
    Tinka123
    +1
    Aww you ;)
  • Ahmedinestein 2012/11/10 02:49:56
    Ahmedinestein
    +4
    I've already begun and incremental financial revolt of my own. My wife and I agreed that we will not spend (other than for our daily needs) ANY money for the next four years. No new furniture, no new cars, no trips, no Christmas, anniversaries, or birthdays, no night out at the movies or restaurants. Neither of us actually need cellphones for work purposes, so no cell phones either. Bare minimum living. Considering our daily necessities, including mortgage, only account for about 39-43% of our incomes, that's a substantial amount of money that we just throw away in the economy, and it's going to stay in our pockets until real leaders and real solutions are in our government. I urge other Libertarian/Conservative households to do the same. Starve this system until it falls in front of us.
  • Transqu... Ahmedin... 2012/11/10 18:49:11
    Transquesta
    EXCELLENT!!
  • oldcavp... Ahmedin... 2012/11/10 22:11:40
    oldcavpilot
    +2
    So you're not a supporter of Capitalism. I get it.

2014/07/23 22:19:31