Now I do consider myself a christian, but this story is Christianity Gone Wild!!!!!!

Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom......

FINDLAY, Ohio – A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.

Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

England said Frost's family should not be surprised by the school's position.

"For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous," he said. "It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to."

The principal at Findlay High School, whose graduates include Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, said he respects, but does not agree with, Heritage Christian School's view of prom.

"I don't see (dancing and rock music) as immoral acts," Craig Kupferberg said.

http://www.thecourier.com

• herb 2009/05/09 22:28:40
    herb
    +13
    I think everybody just needs to cut loose. Footloose. Kick off your Sunday shoes.

• Körïnthïän 2009/05/10 22:30:37
    Körïnthïän
    +3
    Well, what do you expect from people that hear voices?
  • patchesm27 2009/05/10 17:21:22
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    patchesm27
    +1
    what do you expect though!
  • Noonecanstop 2009/05/10 16:05:04
    Noonecanstop
    +2
    remember kids no pre-marital bisexual interdigitation. no thrusting of the torso or lower body, no interlocking Labia superfluos entafada and Labium inferius. Because remember it can lead to relations and relations lead to babies outside of wedlock. Remember you're supposed to marry only 1 person (of the opposite sex and forget the fact that 50% of americans get a divorce) Also remember that you are filled with sin and need to be filled with jesus.

ROFLMFAO
  • Devilish Thoughts 2009/05/10 03:48:08
    Devilish Thoughts
    +1
    Sorry but the moment the principal signed the permission slip the agreement this kid signed became null and void. The principal granted permission for him to attend and if he bars him from graduation because he does attend then I would find one great lawyer and sue the shit out of that school and the principal.

If this boy passes finals, and meets all the requirement for graduation, if it was my son, you can bet your ass he would be walking with his class or else!
  • Ruby Slippers awaits volunt... 2009/05/10 03:35:43
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    Ruby Slippers awaits voluntary deactivation
    +1
    They're just kids, let them have a little fun. It reminds me of years ago when I taught at a "Christian" school when my daughter was little and they publicly humiliated some students for dancing around on the playground by calling them in front of the school at an assembly and making them apologize to the whole school for doing it. I was appalled, they wre just kids being kids. They weren 't hurting anyone. I got tears in my eyes when some of the kids in some of my classes were put into that position and shamed like that for doing nothing wrong.
  • Kino 2009/05/10 03:23:14
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    Kino
    +2
    Un-freakn-believable. That school is apparently run by tools...and not the kind you build stuff with.
  • EEEE "I... Kino 2009/05/10 03:27:30
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2009/05/10 02:46:26
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    This is absurd. Principal England signed the form. That should be the end of it, period! This is so similar to what my daughter's mother just did. My daughter is at her prom right now. Her mother went all out and bought her a dress, shoes, nails, hair, you name it. Yesterday her mother also bought a breathalyzer to check our daughter when she gets home. Our daughter has never ever been involved in drinking or drugging. She is a great kid, never has been a worry in any way. Not once in her life has she ever given us the slightest reason to not trust her. So naturally, she is pretty devastated by her mother's actions. I imagine this boy is feeling much the same way my daughter is. I hope for his sake, his principal lightens up. As for my daughter, she'll likely come home tonight so she doesn't have to deal with her mother's BS.
  • EEEE "I... Pet Roc... 2009/05/10 02:56:00
    EEEE "Its not always a race issue, sometimes its a people issue"
    +1
    yeah, you have to let kids have fun sometimes....if you don't they will go away to college and get buck wild....
  • Pet Roc... EEEE "I... 2009/05/10 03:16:20
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    Yup, pretty ignorant move on the slutex' part. My daughter was so upset. I just explained to her, her mother's actions weren't a reflection on her. Instead her actions were a reflection on herself.
  • BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust" 2009/05/10 02:30:26
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust"
    +2
    Well, there's nothing quite like the "good book" to control the masses.
  • EEEE "I... BH1701 ... 2009/05/10 02:46:42
    +1
    trust that you can't find this anywhere in the good book
  • Constance*sick to death of ... 2009/05/10 00:34:54
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    Constance*sick to death of idiots*
    +1
    This reads more like something off of Landover Baptist than the real world.
  • God of all Creation Shal 2009/05/10 00:14:42
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    God of all Creation Shal
    +2
    Crazy, but not surprising.
  • TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2009/05/10 00:12:09
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +2
    Reminds me of the old joke:

Why don't Baptists make love standing up?

It looks too much like they are dancing!!!
  • EEEE "I... Texican... 2009/05/10 00:14:14
    +1
    LOL...thats a good joke...LOL

Im baptist and I have never heard of this rule before
  • Warren ... EEEE "I... 2009/05/10 13:24:02
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    Yeah I think the joke would work better with Lutherans or Presbyterians! Ithink a Baptist church would be the most likey place to see dancing in the aisles!
  • Insomniac Sweetheart 2009/05/09 23:06:23 (edited)
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    Insomniac Sweetheart
    +1
    So, what? Does this mean i'm not christian for listening to rock music and going to dances? This is ABSURD! And this is why most people think people that are religious are insane. i'm Baptist, so just to let people who read this and start getting bad views about Baptist people. We're not all like that.
  • EEEE "I... Insomni... 2009/05/09 23:26:19
    Im the poster and Im baptist...LOL...ive never once been told by my pastor not to dance...LOL..
  • Insomni... EEEE "I... 2009/05/09 23:28:49
    Insomniac Sweetheart
    +1
    Me neither. Heck, me and my Sunday school teacher talk about the rock concerts we've been too. He got to see Nirvana when he was younger! Soooo lucky!
  • Lunacat 2009/05/09 22:53:13
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    Lunacat
    And they wonder why people don't want anything to do with their religion. Nuts!
  • EEEE "I... Lunacat 2009/05/09 23:02:30
    +1
    yeah, there is alot of man made rules that alienate people from religion
  • medarlin~xanax goddess~ 2009/05/09 22:53:00
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    medarlin~xanax goddess~
    +2
    Obviously they don't have a complete hold on the kid, or he wouldn't be dating someone who goes to a public school. I think I'd be doin' me some dancin'!
  • Wintermute ~ Tape Operator 2009/05/09 22:41:29
  • June-Bug 2009/05/09 22:38:34
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    June-Bug
    +1
    They are sheltering him too much.
    Once he leaves that school he will be surronded by the "devilish" influences that he may encounter at a school dance.
    He should be able to go to this dance so that he can learn that he has two choices: do what God wants or do what he wants.
    I go to church every Saturday but I still went to my Junior prom.
    I just avoided things like after parties with alcohol and sex but I still danced with my friends and a good time.
    One of my friends is a son of minister and his dad allowed him to go with his girlfriend.
    He trusted him enough to do the right thing.
    Its all about trust and apparently this school does not trust its students.
  • Tea in the Harbor 2009/05/09 22:37:34
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    Tea in the Harbor
    +2
    But not surprising, oppression is what Christers do best.
  • EEEE "I... Tea in ... 2009/05/09 22:56:31
    No Christians have a choice like everybody else....if they chose to follow the lifestyle of christianity then its not oppression its a choice
  • Tea in ... EEEE "I... 2009/05/09 23:47:44
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    Yes they do have a choice, but the Christians to the right in their politics seem to choose to make decisions for other people that they have no right to make and that is oppression. Christians have oppressed people on every inhabited continent and they have been doing it for over fifteen hundred years, so it's not surprising to me that they do it amongst themselves as well. I guess it's just in their nature.
  • Illjwamh 2009/05/09 22:34:57
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    Illjwamh
    +1
    Even by fundie standards. @_@
  • AmericanVirus 2009/05/09 22:29:54
    THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
    AmericanVirus
    +4
    That's ridiculous. Rules such as this turn people, who would be fine otherwise, in to rebellious people.
  • herb 2009/05/09 22:28:40
    herb
    +13
  • EEEE "I... herb 2009/05/09 22:34:06
  • herb EEEE "I... 2009/05/09 22:36:14
    herb
    +7
    I got downraved for that o.O

I guess some people *won't* have Kevin Bacon dancing in their town.
  • EEEE "I... herb 2009/05/09 22:39:32
    +4
    yeah...maybe they have never seen the movie...lol
  • Lunacat herb 2009/05/09 22:55:32
    Lunacat
    +3
    Here you go Herb...let's dance!

• Nooneca... Lunacat 2009/05/10 16:06:30
  • patchesm27 herb 2009/05/10 17:22:04
    patchesm27
    +2
    let's hear it for the boy!
  • celticdragonfly 2009/05/09 22:27:28
    THIS SCHOOL HAS A POINT......
    celticdragonfly
    +2
    I've already said this on another poll...

When the parents choose to enroll him at a school like this they agreed to follow their rules. They paid for the right to be told what to do. They don't like it? Send him to public school...or even a different private school with more relaxed rules.
  • EEEE "I... celticd... 2009/05/09 22:31:30
    +3
    but they signed up for those rules to be followed during school hours and after school activities.....This is another schools activity during this kids free time
  • celticd... EEEE "I... 2009/05/09 22:35:45
    celticdragonfly
    +1
    No...I believe this rule was in the student handbook.

Just about every school has a rule that athletes may not use tobacco or alcohol or they will be suspended from the team. This is no different. You know the rules, you break them, you pay the consequences.

I am not saying I agree with the rule. I am just saying that rules are rules...whether you like them or not.

2014/12/22 13:35:01