Notre Dame demands a small Kansas high school change its leprechaun mascot: right or wrong?

LegalZoom 2011/10/24 20:33:39
Chapman High School in Kansas is currently holding a “mascot art contest” to see who can come up with the new image of the school’s Fighting Irish logo. Until now, the school has been using one that the University of Notre Dame claimed looked too similar to its own trademarked logo. [Editor's note: And let's be honest, it's kinda identical.] When a Notre Dame official saw the Chapman mascot online, the university nudged Chapman to come up with a new design. Read more...

Read More: http://blog.legalzoom.com/intellectual-property/no...

• just Douglas! 2011/10/25 16:25:03 (edited)
    Wrong
    just Douglas!
    +3
    While they may legally insist on the school changing their logo, it certainly doesn't help Notre Dame's image any. As a irony the high school I went to my freshman year before I transferred out had their football uniforms and helmets the same exact design as the Green Bay Packers and I never heard anything about Green Bay wanting their uniforms changed.

Notre Dame would be better off by meeting in the middle (ie: allowing the school to use the logo but charge them a nominal license fee for the logo use.)

• William Harris 2011/11/14 01:37:14
    Wrong
    William Harris
    It is logo infringement but but it's a dumb logo anyway Notre Dame should focus on other things....like an over rated football team.
  • Cap 2011/11/13 20:34:08
    Wrong
    Cap
    I don't dispute the legal right of various colleges to defend their right to prevent use of their logos by high schools, but I think it very correctly identifies them as musclebound and insensitive idiots. "Imitation is the sincerest from of flattery." If a prep school wants to use a college logo, I think the college is well advised to license the use of the logo subject to a token fee and an agreement to abide a set of restrictions forbidding conduct that embarrasses the college. Egregious conduct could result in the immediate pulling of permission, more subtle failings could result in a threat not to renew licensure which, in appropriate situations, would be acted on.
  • deweyy 2011/11/12 15:15:35
    Wrong
    deweyy
    +1
    Should Ireland demand Notre Dame change its' name?
  • sickofwrongbeingright 2011/11/12 06:01:05
    Wrong
    sickofwrongbeingright
    Wow cry babies let the little kids have their mascot big bullies LOL
  • Nikki Zoe Salamander 2011/11/09 19:48:05
    Wrong
    Nikki Zoe Salamander
    what does this have to do with anything bad???
  • sayuri 2011/11/04 15:34:35
    Wrong
    sayuri
    just plain silly
  • Nolan Wood 2011/11/01 19:13:53
    Wrong
    Nolan Wood
    +1
    It's a mascot for God's sake, a simple fix could clear that up fast.
  • stevie.luplow 2011/10/31 16:00:45
    Wrong
    stevie.luplow
    +1
    There are a ton of schools with the same mascot. Get over it!
  • Andrea Rodriguez 2011/10/29 23:39:13
    Wrong
    Andrea Rodriguez
    ITS JUST A STUPID LOGO!!!!!!!
  • madhatter 2011/10/29 22:34:52
    Wrong
    madhatter
    +1
    get a friggin life its a flippin logo its not the end of the world
  • Wearethe Nintyninepercent 2011/10/28 03:12:08
    Wrong
    Wearethe Nintyninepercent
    I could see them not being able to sell items with the iconic mascot.
  • TomS 2011/10/26 15:51:45
    Wrong
    TomS
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
  • djdani.danidj 2011/10/26 10:09:46
    Right
    djdani.danidj
    +2
    They don't look too similar, they look identical!
    It's a tad nit-picky, but if Notre Dame's leprechaun is trademarked, Chapman High School (and everyone else) should not be using the logo.
  • highdesertgemini 2011/10/26 04:00:13
    Right
    highdesertgemini
  • snakeman 2011/10/25 23:48:02
    Wrong
    snakeman
    they souding charges there mascot.
  • Glitchie 2011/10/25 21:31:11
    Wrong
    Glitchie
    +1
    I went to Valley High School in Albuquerque, New Mexico. That's like the Vikings asking Valley High to change their mascot, which is also a Viking, and has been for YEARS! Its just wrong.
  • Lillie Stinson 2011/10/25 20:01:11
    Wrong
    Lillie Stinson
    +1
    Although this HS is using a "brand indicator" of Notre Dame, it is not doing so for profit, nor is it diverting commerce from the ND brand in doing so. Seeing as how there are far more needy school projects to spend $60,000 on (LIKE BOOKS!) if ND wants to push resolution for a brand clarity that is NOT hurting them, then let them pay for it!
  • dogs voice 2011/10/25 18:14:53
    Wrong
    dogs voice
    +1
    How close are they to being exactly the same? If not, too bad for ND. Some of the issues with this type of issue is getting way overboard. Adolescent if I may say so.
    Wrong
    just Douglas!
    +3

• Capn Ameruhka 2011/10/25 16:12:18
    Wrong
    Capn Ameruhka
    +1
    Leprechauns are a mythical people of folklore and heritage...not a legitimate ethnic group...I hate political correctness
  • Dynasty Fighter 2011/10/25 15:30:46
    Right
    Dynasty Fighter
    if they want change their mascot then more power to them
  • D S 2011/10/25 13:59:03
    Wrong
    D S
    +2
    I think that Local 515 Leprechaun Union needs to weigh in on this.
    Is this mascot getting a fair amount of breaks?
    What kind of medical coverage do they offer him?
    If he is trampled, (God forbid) during a game and killed, will his family be taken care of? Often times the retirement money they have saved is stolen. People need to know, that pot of gold (at the end of the rainbow) is not free for the taking. Family's depend on that gold.
    Do they offer exterminator service if his hollow tree should become infested with vermin?
    These are all fare questions that deserve to be answered. I'm sure that if all these needs can be met, the church will back off. Perhaps even a blessing from the Pope Himself.
    http://images.sodahead.com/pr...
  • Yosiel Pichardo 2011/10/25 13:47:52
    Wrong
    Yosiel Pichardo
    +1
    C'mon, Man!! Get tough on your football team, not some high school.
  • Shad 2011/10/25 12:56:40
    Wrong
    Shad
    I'm Irish and I don't care. I like seeing things like this,
  • debi.chapman1 2011/10/25 12:47:18
    Wrong
    debi.chapman1
    +1
    Absurd - totally - it's a "compliment" to the college that the high school wants to use that same mascot and identify with them. Good grief. Where's that Catholic benevolent spirit anyway? Come on, really? Get over it!
  • AMERICAN.FREEDOM 2011/10/25 11:16:58
    Wrong
    AMERICAN.FREEDOM
    +1
    Why is IRISH sterotyping ok?

as in .".It's St.Patty's day we are all IRISH today letss get druck tell fantastic stories fight and passout...weee"

how about "It's MLK day wer are all BLACK today lets quit work get a 40 and smoke some cracK?"

or "woohoo cinco=de=mayo... we are all mexicans today...see you at home depo..."

Answer...Irish are proud of who they really are and can take a freakin joke!

Who ever is behind this irish mascot BS is NOT really Irish...i'd bet a case o beer on it
  • hanan 2011/10/25 08:33:40
    Wrong
    hanan
    i don't care
  • Bob 2011/10/25 08:08:24
    Wrong
    Bob
    +1
    Example: how many schools use the mascot name "Bulldogs"? To many to count, so Notre Dame get over yourselves and let them have the name.
  • owen 2011/10/25 06:10:17
    Right
    owen
    +1
    Why dont they use a giant ,banshee or haha a fairy?Really whats the big deal about,use a picture of Cooney or Quarry its all a bit silly really
  • theslickdumpling 2011/10/25 05:16:42
    Right
    theslickdumpling
    +1
    When there is a trademark in place, this is not the right thing for the high school to do. It is not about a big bully trampling a high school. It is about educators teaching their students what a trademark is and why it is not the right thing to disrespect that trademark. By doing so, they may be teaching the students a lesson that might save him/her much heartache and money in lawsuits later in life. The students are very near to walking out into the real world. We need to teach them the realities of that world.

www.theslickdumpling.com
  • closinyou 2011/10/25 05:02:54
    Wrong
    closinyou
    +1
    Is Notre Dame that out of the news or spotlight today that it has to resort to this type of harassing behavior? Really, can't the "FIGHTING IRISH" pick a real fight? Maybe they're worried about some fans mixing them up with a little H.S. team in the heart of Kansas! Look out Toto... the Irish are coming!!!
  • mamacrash 2011/10/25 04:54:26
    Wrong
    mamacrash
    +1
    No one gave Notre Dame exclusive rights to the 'wee person' so get off the Chapman High School's mascot back and leave them alone.
  • Robert Smith 2011/10/25 01:38:03
    Wrong
    Robert Smith
    There enough leprechauns to go around.
  • compton3 2011/10/25 01:02:19
    Right
    compton3
    it may seem petty, but if there is a copyright or trademark in place, notre dame is within it's rights, especially when you take into account how many millions of dollars are made from the logo...it would be like if the high school used tony the tiger or bugs bunny as their mascot
  • 2011/10/25 00:59:28
    Wrong
    +1
    I say let the kansas school keep it its a free country.
  • you 2011/10/25 00:12:39
    Wrong
    you
    +1
    Why change? It is okay the way it is. I am sure there are better things they can review for changes
  • Racefish 2011/10/25 00:08:21
    Wrong
    Racefish
    Pure stupidity. Maybe they'd have a chance making Ireland get rid of those annoying little people.
  • Pat 2011/10/24 23:55:05
    Wrong
    I'm not a legal eagle but I think that this particular leprechaun is clearly associated with and part of Notre Dame. Could they tweek it in a way that it would still be a leprechaun but a different one? Seems there should be a way to resolve this issue without going to court over it.
  • Gary Larson 2011/10/24 23:41:01
    Wrong
    Gary Larson
    +2
    this is about infringement, high school against notre dame, get real. someone in college has too much on their hands
  • ShortyDoWop 2011/10/24 23:40:46
    Wrong
    ShortyDoWop
    +2
    everyone knows the notre dame mascot you know how many schools have the same mascots? it is no big deal, the only one that should matter is if another college has the same mascot

2014/10/20 09:25:43