New York City May Ban Sodas Larger Than 16 Ounces: Smart or Stupid?

Bad news, soda lovers. New York City may ban sodas and other sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces in a first-in-the-nation move meant to battle obesity. "More than half of NYC adults (58%) are overweight or obese," Mayor Michael Bloomberg tweeted on Thursday. "We're doing something about it."

The ban would outlaw drinks larger than 16 ounces at restaurants and other eateries, but not grocery stores. And the Board of Health is expected to OK the proposal in the coming months, which would mean a $200 fine for establishments that violate the ban. "Restaurant owners will have nine months from the adoption of the proposal until they face fines," Bloomberg's office said in a statement.

The CDC's National Center for Health Statistics says sugary drinks "have been linked to poor diet quality, weight gain, obesity, and, in adults, type 2 diabetes." And let's face it: In the U.S., a "large" soda often looks more like an extra extra large. Sixteen ounces seems like more than enough. Do you agree? Or do you want the food police to leave you alone?

• laura 2012/05/31 20:07:42
    Stupid
    laura
    +12
    Stupid. Just buy two. We do not elect our government officials to take care of us as if we're too stupid to do so ourselves. We elect them to protect and preserve our freedom. Utterly ridiculous.

• Bill Marvelo... 2012/06/03 19:39:26 (edited)
    Bill
    To get around it, Bloomingidiot could simply redefine 16 ounces as 15.5 ounces. They did something similar in the IL legislature many years ago. Kids could not remember the value of Pi (as 3.14) in the math classes and this caused them to get failing grades in math. The fix: legislatively redefine Pi as equal to 3. That was easier to remember and thus it would produce less failing grades. I don't know if it helped or not but they tried. Thus, 16 ounces = 15.5 ounces. It helps.

Maybe the stores and restaurants could provide a "NYC Drink Waiver" that customers could sign and release the provider from fraud liability when they only give 15.5 ounces of a drink instead of 16. Signing the waiver will include a free "NYC Donut Day" donut of their choice, provided by NYC tax payers. Simple.
  • Marvelo... Bill 2012/06/04 05:24:34
    Marvelous Wildfire
    I believe the hitch with that, is still the State Board of Weights and Measure.
    While NYC mayor Bloomberg may actually believe, he's dictator of NY, I believe State law would supersede de Fuhrer city rule. (But good thought!)
  • Bill Marvelo... 2012/06/04 12:16:18
    Bill
    +1
    Hmmm. Maybe. But with a stroke of his pen he could eliminate the State Board of Weights and Measure. Der Fuhrer has ordered it so. I see nutttthing. I know nutttthing. I vass only following orders.
  • Wayne TH G 333 2012/06/03 16:29:10
    Stupid
    Wayne TH G 333
    +4
    I can think of far more useful things to ban such as the playing of a Justin Bieber song in a public place!
  • Bill Wayne T... 2012/06/03 17:11:58
    Bill
    +1
    Bless you, sir. Great minds think alike.
  • Gangste... Wayne T... 2012/06/03 21:14:08
    Gangstersteve1993
    +1
    I would love that one to happen XD
  • ExaltedGod 2012/06/03 15:12:32
    Stupid
    ExaltedGod
    +2
    Stay out of my body!
  • myteemouth 2012/06/03 13:49:26
    Stupid
    myteemouth
    +2
    Incredibly stupid-people will just buy two even if it costs more-they apparently learned nothing from Prohibition-you cant legislate morality and you cant force someone to lose weight it doesnt work
  • Brandon 2012/06/03 13:46:58
    Stupid
    Brandon
    +3
    no kidding soda is bad for you. and i could see taxing them more or something. but to say, no we arent going to let you make your own health choices, makes way for tea party types to say all government is bad! look they wanna take away your soda! which is ironic because this is sodahead haha
  • Bill 2012/06/03 13:40:45 (edited)
    Stupid
    Bill
    +2
    HELP! HELP! HELP ME! I just bought a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi at a 7-11 and now I'm going to get fat because I'm going to drink it all in one sitting. At least I can seek refuge in McDonald's where it's illegal to get a larger than 16 ounce sugary soda to wash down that Big Mac and super-sized fries along with that large chocolate milk shake followed by a hot fudge sundae. Thank you Mayor Bloomberg, for keeping me healthy.

Remember, June 1st was National Donut Day. Thank you Mayor. Now I can top off my burger, etc. with a dozen Bavarian Cream donuts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/0...
    Only the day before, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg had declared his intention to ban sugared plus-size sodas at many outlets to help fight obesity. And yet he had also proclaimed Friday “NYC Donut Day.”
  • Kei_Jo 2012/06/03 13:03:50
    Smart
    Kei_Jo
    +1
    Well, since super-sized is pretty uncommon in Europe (specificity Ireland)(for example there is no Trenta cup size in European Starbucks), I think it's a good idea. I know Europeans aren't as overweight as Americans (not saying that there isn't an increasingly worrying problem regarding this throughout Europe) but it would be a good idea to help Americans reduce their weight themselves.
  • **Starz... Kei_Jo 2012/06/03 16:39:02
    **StarzAbove**
    +2
    People will just buy two, it's a stupid idea.
  • Bill Kei_Jo 2012/06/03 17:24:25
    Bill
    +1
    {Well, since super-sized is pretty uncommon in Europe (specificity Ireland)}
    You mean to tell me that I can't get super-sized fries in Ireland??? Is there another potato famine going on over there? What about a Trenta sized beer glass in Ireland? Do they serve beer in shot glasses now to keep the Irish in control of their weight? (A lot of empty calories in beer.) My ex-wife is Irish. You know...red hair, freckles, bloody knuckles, etcetera. She would never stand for that. She got her tongue stuck in the bottom of so many 16 ounce beer bottles it's not funny. If Bloomberg tried to stop 16 oz. beers, she would go up to him, put up her fists and say, "Wood ye be foytin' me now? Jost til yer lips 'er bloody."
  • Kirby Bill 2012/06/03 22:46:34 (edited)
    Kirby
    +1
    LMAO! That funny stuff and absolutely correct. I knew a couple of Irish gents when I was in the service and I am sure they'd say the same thing ! Thanks ...
  • Bill Kirby 2012/06/03 22:57:58
    Bill
    +1
    Thanks. So did I. What I don't know about public urination...
  • Kei_Jo Bill 2012/06/04 00:42:10
    Kei_Jo
    +1
    Well, I don't drink, so unfortunately I wouldn't know much about the sizes on alcohol beverages. And also our "super-sized" meals (and "fries") from Burger King, etc are like a medium American sized portion.
  • Maximus 2012/06/03 12:07:29
    Stupid
    Maximus
    +1
    They'll just buy more...Especially those that crave it.
  • SilveryRow 2012/06/03 08:29:35
    Smart
    SilveryRow
    +3
    That 75% have gone with 'stupid' is hardly surprising, what with 60% of America being obese - and that was a few years ago - though I understand some people just object to being told what to eat and drink... Fair enough. But by the looks of things, this is the only way to do it as health warnings are ignored. It will change little, but it's a step in the right direction.
  • Delete SilveryRow 2012/06/03 20:06:13
  • mmmholl... SilveryRow 2012/06/03 20:44:15
    mmmhollywould
    +1
    It is not your right or theirs to legislate what I put in my body.
  • Kirby SilveryRow 2012/06/03 22:50:02
    Kirby
    I don't tell you how to live your life, nor should you or anyone else tell someone else how to live theirs !
  • TKramar 2012/06/03 07:42:34
    Stupid
    TKramar
    +2
    You're trying to legislate health? Shouldn't you have other concerns, like reducing the traffic and crime in your city?
  • Disko Pickle 2012/06/03 06:29:36 (edited)
    Smart
    Disko Pickle
    +4
    The last time NYC had something that large, terrorists flew 2 airplanes into it.
  • Ysggirb Disko P... 2012/06/03 20:56:12
    Ysggirb
    Do you ever let your fingers play on the keyboard without supervision?
    I don’t think they’re quite mature enough …maybe in a few years.
  • Disko P... Ysggirb 2012/06/07 01:39:42
    Disko Pickle
    Did you just seriously defend the 9/11 terrorists?????? You've go some balls.
  • Ysggirb Disko P... 2012/06/07 21:46:03
    Ysggirb
    I was only referring to the immaturity of your comment. For some inexplicable reason, I was offended by the fact that somebody would make a joke of an enormously tragic event that took the lives of thousands of people in this city, not to mention those whose lives were shattered. I don’t know …maybe you had to be there. Could be.

Naturally you would assume I was supporting terrorism. Looking more closely (with a microscope), I can see how that would be simple deductive reasoning …well done, Holmes. (wink)
  • redhorse29 2012/06/03 06:17:04
    Stupid
    redhorse29
    +1
    With all there is to worry about and all the problems New York faces this is a really stupid distraction. Seems like every time things get tough democrat leaders look for social distractions to take over and regulate. Their efforts almost never provide benefit.
  • Lady Aiyanna 2012/06/03 06:13:27
    Smart
    Lady Aiyanna
    +1
    Well if the population don't listen Government does something to make them listen, just like parent to a child. The Government is the parent to the whole country to instill discipline, rules and regulations to prevent the kids from going anarchic. They reach treaties and compromises and even take sides for things which may hurt and destroy the unit and country as a whole.
    So if they have taken the option to ban Sodas larger than 16 ounces, I would say go for it as that would help create a healthier and ailment free country and probably bring about a total ban on the detrimental drink that brings about ballooning bottoms, kidney stones, bladder ailments, teeth ailments apart from the fact that some of the dyes that they use incite violence and brain insensitivities with reference to memory loss and inability to study etc.
    This is based on a research that I helped carry out back in 1999-2000 and documented the statistics to the companies in a hope for them to make amends to the same. We also took the initiative to send out emails to people around the globe to inform them about the detriments of sodas back then.
    I was the thinnest and the skinniest in my class in school but also the lankiest and it remains that way around as I don't touch sodas any more after I saw the problem...

I was the thinnest and the skinniest in my class in school but also the lankiest and it remains that way around as I don't touch sodas any more after I saw the problems I faced in the recent days with gas (needed just a 300ml which I couldnot finish to prove this) and three days of stomachache and inability to eat.
    To be very honest, I love sugar, I eat candies and sweets and even chocolates on a regular basis. But I have salads, oats, lime juices, fruit juices etc. along with minimal consumption of meats to help me keep my weight at a steady 58 kgs which I have been since I was 14 years old and went up to 82 kgs for my pregnancy and came back to the above weight (took about a year) with extensive workouts (one hour that is all as I have a child to take care of), improved breathing and yoga techniques and extremely disciplined dietary eating and no sodas and fast food.
    I have taught my son no soft drinks and fast food, if he has a craving he gets a carrot to munch on and wholemeal cakes. I make the stuff for him at home with wholemeal Baps and fruit juices.
    So if we do all these for our kids, why not the government??? Let them show the concern for the people in their health, money, life etc. rather than pouring it into scandals, looking at some pretty womans bottoms and wide eyed and get put into the newspapers for that. Its a good way to get the people whom you have worked to put up there with your tax payments to repay it back to you in a way that would help you build happier and better futures keeping their country's health and of course the inmates healths in mind.
  • Bill Lady Ai... 2012/06/03 13:50:58
    Bill
    Jawohl mein führer. Blut und Ehre.
    LOL Great satire.
  • Lady Ai... Bill 2012/06/03 20:33:22
    Lady Aiyanna
    Ich bin nicht Hitler wird es nie sein, sondern indirekt, dass ist das, was Regierungen sind.
    Vielen Dank.
  • Bill Lady Ai... 2012/06/03 22:18:26
    Bill
    Ich stimme zu. Sind sie ernst in ihrem Kommentar? Vielen Dank.
  • Lady Ai... Bill 2012/06/03 22:25:27
    Lady Aiyanna
    Ja, ich bin in meinem Kommentar. Verwenden sie Immer seiten meines eigenen Lebens zu belegenden Beweis. Vielan Dank.
  • Bill Lady Ai... 2012/06/03 23:03:19
    Bill
    Als es ist absolut verrückt.
  • Lady Ai... Bill 2012/06/03 23:40:26
    Lady Aiyanna
    Gut, jede ihre eigene wie sie sagen, also, ich respektiere ihre Meinung. Die meiner Meinung nach oben, Danke.
  • Bill Lady Ai... 2012/06/04 12:24:10
    Bill
    Ja, ich weiß. Ich bin rechts.
  • Lady Ai... Bill 2012/06/04 13:06:23
    Lady Aiyanna
    Für jede ihre eigene, jeder hat sein eigenes Schicksal zu bestimmen.Danke.
  • Bill Lady Ai... 2012/06/04 15:59:22
    Bill
    richtigen
  • Lady Ai... Bill 2012/06/04 19:42:42
    Lady Aiyanna
    +1
    Danke!!! Aber die Regierung gestimmt wird durch sie, sie echo der Stimmen der massen hinter der Szene.
  • myteemouth Lady Ai... 2012/06/03 13:51:06
    myteemouth
    +2
    no the government is NOT a parent the government is there to run the country
  • Lady Ai... myteemouth 2012/06/03 20:26:30
    Lady Aiyanna
    Well if we knew have to handle ourselves, we wouldnot need them with all their laws trust me....

2014/08/31 02:40:05