New York City May Ban Sodas Larger Than 16 Ounces: Smart or Stupid?

Bad news, soda lovers. New York City may ban sodas and other sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces in a first-in-the-nation move meant to battle obesity. "More than half of NYC adults (58%) are overweight or obese," Mayor Michael Bloomberg tweeted on Thursday. "We're doing something about it."

The ban would outlaw drinks larger than 16 ounces at restaurants and other eateries, but not grocery stores. And the Board of Health is expected to OK the proposal in the coming months, which would mean a $200 fine for establishments that violate the ban. "Restaurant owners will have nine months from the adoption of the proposal until they face fines," Bloomberg's office said in a statement.

The CDC's National Center for Health Statistics says sugary drinks "have been linked to poor diet quality, weight gain, obesity, and, in adults, type 2 diabetes." And let's face it: In the U.S., a "large" soda often looks more like an extra extra large. Sixteen ounces seems like more than enough. Do you agree? Or do you want the food police to leave you alone?

• laura 2012/05/31 20:07:42
    Stupid
    laura
    +12
    Stupid. Just buy two. We do not elect our government officials to take care of us as if we're too stupid to do so ourselves. We elect them to protect and preserve our freedom. Utterly ridiculous.

• Bradley Smith 2013/07/30 02:59:21
    Smart
    Bradley Smith
    Indefinitely, they should have done it when soda first came out!
  • Aleksandr 2012/09/03 15:22:38
    Stupid
    Aleksandr
    Fascist Bloomberg and his liberal minions are abolishing freedom.
  • cin 2012/07/03 07:14:54
    Smart
    cin
    Smart? Weird? Good I guess if prices go with the size
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/07/02 12:21:07
    Stupid
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    It does nothing to stop or reduce obesity so this effort is futile and in vain. If NYC was serious they close most of the restaurants and increase the apartment sizes/mandate everyone takes healthy cooking classes, make every apartment be fitted with a stove/oven, and eliminate all cars by banning all vehicles from the city. This rules won't stop someone from purchasing two instead of one. Plus they aren't taking in account the space that ice can take up if you get a fountain drink. Nanny state mentality needs to go and get lost immediately.
  • Crime Time 2012/07/01 23:39:22
    Stupid
    They just buy 2--what the hell is Obama and the left doing to our country--these are stupid ignorant people that have nothing better to do than come up with stupid laws! Get a life and do something like stop bribery, and corruption. Next work on ways to cut useles laws and regulations from the books!
  • Vicereine Killbride 2012/07/01 22:55:42
    Stupid
    Vicereine Killbride
    Stupid as a law. But a good CHOICE.
  • Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan... 2012/07/01 22:24:36
    Stupid
    Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan BN0
    Apparently, now Portugal has more drinking freedom than NYC. Sad.
  • Kirby Leggett 2012/06/28 07:11:15
    Stupid
    Kirby Leggett
    This isn't the way to battle obesity. I would prefer the government making healthy foods cheaper and more available. That is better than taking away someone's right to choose.
  • Rachel Searvogel 2012/06/07 09:16:49
    Stupid
    Rachel Searvogel
    I just don't even care anymore. The whole country is regulating itself to death. Hell, I'm just a constituent, what do I care? /sarcasm
  • Mishka 2012/06/06 21:11:09
    Stupid
    Mishka
    Ahhh America...Looking more and more like my old homeland everyday...
  • Chelsea 2012/06/06 00:31:40
    Stupid
    Chelsea
    refills????
  • a7xwckd 2012/06/05 18:40:55
  • superan... a7xwckd 2012/06/05 19:14:14
    superangrymonkey
    So that makes it right to send in guys with guns to enforce a law about it? Thank God you vote.
  • a7xwckd superan... 2012/06/06 01:22:52
    a7xwckd
    Hah, did I say anything about guns involved with this? No I didn't. I just said we don't need to have extra sizes. Its unnecessary. No it's not right to send in law enforcement with guns, but the article only says that there will be fines. I didn't read anything about guns, so don't jump to conclusions.
  • superan... a7xwckd 2012/06/06 01:25:45
    superangrymonkey
    All laws are enforced with guns.
  • a7xwckd superan... 2012/06/06 02:38:38
    a7xwckd
    Oh so that's how you think.Well I don't have to say anymore.
  • Navin J... a7xwckd 2012/08/05 00:31:58
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    i have my 100 ounce jug of mountain deeeew!
  • superangrymonkey 2012/06/05 16:47:17
    Stupid
    superangrymonkey
    Do you need a law to tell you when its time to go to the bathroom? How about when it's time to go to bed? So why do you think you need a law to tell you that your fat ass is getting too fat? I cannot even believe that this is happening.
  • Reuben Rennick 2012/06/04 19:36:27
    Stupid
    Reuben Rennick
    Stupid idea, people will just order extra cups.stupid people order extra cups
  • Sterling 2012/06/04 18:17:12
    Stupid
    Sterling
    +1
    Hey how about we start enacting a state-wide exercise plan, diet restrictions, and make it so people can't cook their own food because they might undercook it. How does this federal healthcare taste now?
  • architectDESIGNERia 2012/06/04 17:54:55
    Smart
    architectDESIGNERia
    I like how everybody says its the obese person's problem..but it becomes the country's problem if its an epidemic...lol You have allowed yourself to be the parasite..there are a lot of things in this country/world that we can change...but its been years and educational segments on how bad it is for you. Obviously..we can't correct ourselves. If you're just going to buy two to satisfy your soda craving...you are officially FAT. LOL

I hear people say, "We have the option of making dumb choices."

Really..WOW. Value yourself. I just can't respect the opinion of a person who CHOSES to be stupid.
  • Sterling archite... 2012/06/04 18:31:09
    Sterling
    So what if you find out that having sex shortens your life by five years, so you have the choice to give up sex or give up years of your life. Either choice you make, should I be able to come in and tell you that you made a "dumb choice"?

People need to take personal responsibility, and they need to make their own personal choices. Where's the stopping point with this kind of legislation? State mandated exercise plans or a federal ban on home-cooking?
  • Huntclan archite... 2012/06/04 18:40:02
  • archite... Huntclan 2012/06/04 21:01:33
    architectDESIGNERia
    Nobody's forcing anybody to be skinny, they're started to mandate a healthier way of life. Good for them. Don't complain about misery because of years of neglecting your body and years of carelessness despite the fact you were educated on the repercussions. I don't feel guilty to fight for a healthier lifestyle for me, my family,. friends, and everyybody I love. I'd feel guilty for not.

Nobody is stopping you from buying two. Go ahead..please do.
  • Huntclan archite... 2012/06/04 21:36:20
    Huntclan
    +1
    You want to "Mandate a healthier way of life?" By whose definition? A government board? How you going to enforce it? Tax people more? Who gets the money? Where does it go? Sounds like your a Communist.

You fine the Middle class into serfdom. Then the Fat and Poor people are told what they can and cannot eat. So, the rich and fat just pay the fines and the poor are mandated into health.
  • Navin J... archite... 2012/08/05 00:33:28
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    please
  • Luver 2012/06/04 17:34:38
    Smart
    Luver
    +1
    Nobody needs to pump that much crap into them self at one time, Its not healthy. I think its a good idea, but at the same time, I think people should be allowed to make that choice for them self. Its not really the cities place to tell them how much soda that can a cannot drink.
  • Wyo Guard Soldier 2012/06/04 17:17:26
    Smart
    Wyo Guard Soldier
    More soda yay
  • Honeybuns 2012/06/04 17:00:15
    Stupid
    Honeybuns
    +1
    I like super size or large drinks. But if most people are overweight then yeah somethings need to change. But banning large drinks will not help. Because we still have fast food and other things that contribute to obese or overweight people.
  • ajracestables1 2012/06/04 16:50:40
    Stupid
    ajracestables1
    +1
    WTF!!!? I thought this was a free country. Please everyone, vote and get rid of officials that want to take your freedom of choice away from us!
  • Gahnzo 2012/06/04 15:07:57
    Stupid
    Gahnzo
    +3
    Once again a perfect example of the "Democrat" nanny status.. "I know better than you"...then there's the law of unintended consequences... what will happen to all those machines that dispense 20 oz soda.... and is this really what cops need to be worried/concerned about? Whatever happended to "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY"....
  • CJackson 2012/06/04 14:47:40
    Stupid
    CJackson
    +1
    The very idea surpasses socialism all together, its pure communism. This is the state of New York proclaiming its residents too incompetent to regulate themselves.

...the whole point to leaving Europe in 1492, was to escape oppressive government who wanted total control of every minute detail of the lives of its people. We could have just stayed in Europe if we start regulating how big of a soda a person is allowed to buy.
  • WeaverJannie27911289 2012/06/04 14:32:40
  • CJackson WeaverJ... 2012/06/04 15:20:58
    CJackson
    Spam!!!
  • Huntclan 2012/06/04 08:20:05
    Stupid
    Huntclan
    The sizes in the Movie Theater are too big for me so I buy the Small. BFD!

People who like to drink more shouldn't be forced to buy multiple drinks because my idea of "enough" is different than mine.
  • Gregortimski 2012/06/04 07:46:03 (edited)
    Smart
    Gregortimski
    The anti-white regime needs to down-size people`s expectations what with forcibly turning the country brown and poor with mass immigration and "assimilation" (ONLY in white countries this is being done)

Many say it is genocide,but the anti-whites call it "diversity"

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.
  • CJackson Gregort... 2012/06/04 14:49:49
    CJackson
    Ummmmm.....What???
  • TheBorg 2012/06/04 06:19:50 (edited)
    Smart
    TheBorg
    +1
    Which is better? Having to buy two sodas if you want obese proportions or having the rest of us pay for your health care because the small, single size portion is 4 servings? I don't understand why people are crying about freedoms and rights in regards to this ban. What about the freedom and rights of the rest of us who have to pay for your crappy health? Where the hell are our rights? Where are our rights not to have to pay more in insurance? Medical bills? Hospital stays to counter the costs of obese soda proportions? What a stupid thing to cry about, banning soda sold in cups bigger than 16 ounces.

soda proportions stupid banning soda sold cups bigger 16 ounces
  • Huntclan TheBorg 2012/06/04 08:15:05
    Huntclan
    +3
    Wow!

So, making fat people (because only fat people drink more than 16 oz) buy 2 sodas will solve both the obesity problem and the inflated health care costs. Genius! Pure Genius!

What else can we apply this logic to?

Alcohol - Cut the size of drinks in half
    Cigarettes - Only sell half packs
    Sugar - Only sell 2.5lb bags instead of 5lb bags

The possibilities are endless. You are obviously a member of the Mensa Club.

2014/12/19 06:37:41