New Studies Cite Stronger Link Between Soda and Obesity: Do You Drink Soda?

Related Topics: soda, Obesity, Living, Pop
According to the New England Journal of Medicine's recent study, there is a very strong link between sugar-sweetened beverages (i.e. soda) and America's obesity epidemic. Dr. David Ludwig of Boston Children's Hospital's New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center told the Chicago Tribune there is no doubt what is the greatest cause of obesity in America.

"The most effective single target for an intervention aimed at reducing obesity is sugary beverages." If that is truly the case, there is a big problem. Millions of Americans consume soda. In fact, sugary beverages almost go hand-in-hand when it comes to watching movies and live events. However, steps have been taken to limit soda intake.

Most schools across the country have practically banned soda from students' drink choices during lunchtime. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg helped pass the controversial law that will ban supersized sugary drinks from being sold. And fitness gurus such as DDPYoga founder Dallas Page have gone as far to say soda is the worst thing you can put in your body when trying to stay healthy. These observations and studies may cut into soda companies' profits, but swaying a majority of Americans to stop consuming these beverages could take awhile.

Read More: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-09-21/life...

• Cat 2012/09/22 20:21:55
    Cat
    +5
    I started lessening it. I used too drink 3-5 cans a day. Now I only drink 1-2. I hope to get it down to 0 soon.

• heartsonfire 2012/09/24 20:09:46
    heartsonfire
    I'm a coke fiend.
  • Sylmkael 2012/09/24 19:34:26 (edited)
    Sylmkael
    +2
    But not everyday. Just now & then
    ... and I am not obese either
  • firelooker 2012/09/24 19:25:20
    firelooker
    Only on Saturday when My wife and I treat ourselves to a McDonalds 1.00 hamburger and a large diet soda.
  • firelooker firelooker 2012/09/24 19:28:32 (edited)
    firelooker
    +2
    While all these facts may be true it's still not the govt's job to tell us what we can & cannot eat or drink. It's the parents responsibility to see to it that their kids eat healthy not some politician or his broad butt wife.
  • KatherineKnight250 2012/09/24 19:14:18
    KatherineKnight250
    +1
    I love soda :D
  • Psycho-Is-Near-MMFWCL 2012/09/24 19:05:52
    Psycho-Is-Near-MMFWCL
    Mama loves her some Faygo.
  • luisofsuburbia 2012/09/24 18:58:30
    luisofsuburbia
    I probably drink soda 1-2 times a year, I rather have a lemonade or an iced-tea ^_^
  • rcardon 2012/09/24 18:07:01
    rcardon
    Not heavily, but I do indulge when going out to eat, or on long trips, and the occasional "I'm just so tired I need a Dew" mornings.
  • vera.vanstaden 2012/09/24 17:27:45
    vera.vanstaden
    +2
    But only Tab or Sprite ZEro.
  • Mud 2012/09/24 16:48:42
    Mud
    I eat enough unhealthy foods to not want to add a bunch of liquid high fructose corn syrup calories..
  • WanderingWeirdly 2012/09/24 16:32:01
    WanderingWeirdly
    I prefer not to, but I occasionally drink it when it is part of a mixed drink..
  • whowasphone 2012/09/24 16:31:00
    whowasphone
    +1
    but i'm really trying to cut back...
    my brother in law lost like 30-40 pounds by stopping his beer and soda consumption.
  • Steve Johnson 2012/09/24 16:23:14
    Steve Johnson
    I drink sugar-sweetened beverages, but they aren't usually carbonated (think Gatorade and Arizona Tea)

I haven't become obese yet. Going to the gym 6 days a week might have something to do with it.
  • firelooker Steve J... 2012/09/24 19:34:19
    firelooker
    That definetely helps. I try to walk three days a week for 5 miles in an hour and half then work out w/ resistance band & free weights twice a week plus 75 reps on the rowing machine. I try to do a work out that calls for 3 sets of 25 of whatever you're working with. Not always successful but at least I try.
  • missravenx 2012/09/24 16:14:41
    missravenx
    I only drink soda a few times a year. I don't go out to eat much but when I do I usually get coca-cola (never pepsi!) since iced tea never seems to taste right outside my own home. And every now and then I have a craving for a 365 root beer.
  • glass_butterfly ~YSU~ 2012/09/24 16:10:32
    glass_butterfly ~YSU~
    I have to have a SERIOUS craving for me to drink it, but for the most part all I drink is water. And by the way it's called Pop.
  • firelooker glass_b... 2012/09/24 19:35:14
    firelooker
    As in Soda pop.
  • tokie164 2012/09/24 16:06:13
    tokie164
    i wont drink it because it makes me sick
    but because of me always being sick when i was young
    i weigh about 110, so im under weight pie
  • Camille Palmer 2012/09/24 16:02:57
    Camille Palmer
    YES I confess I do,..not Often,..but I do. NEVER ANY PEPSI products as they Used dead Baby's to assay new Flavors and sweeteners.
    but what we are talking about is MSG. Mono Sodium Glutimate.
    An Excito-toxin, It is an agent to make you addicted to the food that it is on, Prompting not just overeating,...but Over Production of Insulin, until You Become Insulin Resistant.
    that means Type 2 diabetes.
    the A.M.A. has Know MSG causes Obesity and diabetes. Since the early 1980's.
    the Inject New Born Baby mice with MSG, and the all grow up Obese, and Diabetic,
    They create these Obese Diabetic Mice so they can test treatments for Diabetes,..NOT CUES,..the know the Cause,...but hide that. there is not profits in a cure.
    the FDA Puts no Limits on how much MSG can be Put in your food.

KFC is one of the worst offenders for Unlimited amounts of MSG in their recipe.

Did an one see that Comedy with Mike Meyers, Called " So I married an AX murderer "
    his father says " he hates the Colonial, with his wee beady eyes, Ohh your going to eat my chicken aren't you " the Son,..(mike Meyers) says Dad,...how can you hate the colonial?
    and the father replies,.. Because he puts an addictive chemical in it that makes you cave it fortnightly.
    MSG is that addictive chemical.
  • Juliet Alyssa 2012/09/24 15:32:18
    Juliet Alyssa
    I drink soda, but only when we go out for a meal.
  • Sperry23 2012/09/24 15:23:08
    Sperry23
    I don't drink as much soda as I used to. I avoid the ones with artificial sweetners and "high-fructose corn syrup". There are some great tasting sodas that just use sugar and nothing else as a sweetener.
  • Car Chick 2012/09/24 15:21:59
    Car Chick
    I'm trying to drink more water but I love my Mountain Dew! My mother went from drinking at least a 12 pack of Pepsi a day to only drinking unsweetened iced tea or water and she lost around 15 pounds over a couple of months. I don't think that is typical since she drank way more soda than most people... at least I hope most people do not drink a 12 pack a day.
  • ♥ Amy ♥ Is Home ♥ 2012/09/24 15:06:34 (edited)
    ♥ Amy ♥ Is Home ♥
    +1
    Being from Michigan...I drink Pop ( and sometimes pepsi, though mostly water n coffee, look at my media, do i look ne where near over weight?)

faygo

n bake with soda

arm n hammer
  • Juliet ... ♥ Amy ♥... 2012/09/24 15:31:55
    Juliet Alyssa
    +1
    I love Faygo!
  • ♥ Amy ♥... Juliet ... 2012/09/24 15:39:23
    ♥ Amy ♥ Is Home ♥
    me too =)

faygo spraying gif
  • Timche 2012/09/24 15:03:22
    Timche
    rarely
  • buster 2012/09/24 15:00:41
    buster
    I drink it nearly everyday.
  • scott 2012/09/24 14:57:28
    scott
    I drink 3-4 soda's a day I just ran my 4th marathon this year and have done 3 triathalons so far this year as well. The soda does not make you fat, sitting on your lazy butt might. Some people are alcholics should we therefore ban alcohol.
  • firelooker scott 2012/09/24 19:38:50 (edited)
    firelooker
    We tried banning booze in the twenties and thirties, didn't work too well. Made a lot of gangsters rich though. Including brewers like Seagrams who were bootleggers.
  • scott firelooker 2012/09/27 14:42:43
    scott
    Sorry, thought you would read the last line as it was intended "sarcasm"
  • firelooker scott 2012/09/27 15:41:43
    firelooker
    Okay, the problem today is the liberals see something they don't like they want to ban it.
  • Clyde 2012/09/24 14:52:44
    Clyde
    This question is ridiculous, sodas don't cause obesity any more that candy or tofu or vegetables, human behavior causes obesity. Anyone notice how the so called "tolerant" liberals are always advocating banning things? Do we really want to live in a society where are mommy, ie big government, tells us what to eat, what to do, where to live, and when to die? All you liberals that aren't the minority in power, should be very very careful what you wish for, because you might just get it.
  • Mud Clyde 2012/09/24 16:55:29
    Mud
    Where does it say "should soda be banned" it just says does soda make people obese, and the answer for most people is yes, each can is like 50 grams of high fructose corn syrup. No it shouldn't be banned, nothing should, but it does make ya fat. Why does this always have to be a conservative vs liberal thing...
  • Clyde Mud 2012/09/24 17:14:47
    Clyde
    Soda doesn't make anyone obese, human behavior does. It doesn't make you fat, your choice to drink too much of it and not exercise makes you fat.
    New York City just placed a ban on large sodas.
    It doesn't have to be, but it just turns out that way.
  • firelooker Clyde 2012/09/24 19:43:16
    firelooker
    +1
    All things in moderation! Problem is these progressive liberals think they know what's best for us and anything they don't like they want banned. Notice Obama smokes so you don't hear about the evil tobbacco companies anymore.
  • Clyde firelooker 2012/09/25 14:41:53
    Clyde
    Yes, they are smarter than us "workers" and they need to take care of us by taking all of our money and deciding what we should have.
    How are so many people willfully enslaving themselves to the state for the false promise of free stuff?
    Yea, isn't strange that they take over healthcare and suddenly they are banning food they think is bad for us........freedom lost is hard to get back.

He is the messiah, he can do no wrong, and if liberals didn't have double standards they would have no standards at all.
  • firelooker Clyde 2012/09/25 19:38:23
  • WGN 2012/09/24 14:31:36
    WGN
    +1
    And I am not obese.

It really depends on how MUCH one intakes!
  • Clyde WGN 2012/09/24 15:01:53
    Clyde
    Yes, and what is next? Will they want to ban cake, pie, ice cream?
  • WGN Clyde 2012/09/24 16:04:56
    WGN
    +1
    If one eats a little of everything in moderation and gets enough exercise, obesity would not be a problem.
    The sensationalism of all these studies starts to make them all suspect!

2014/07/26 07:07:54