New Studies Cite Stronger Link Between Soda and Obesity: Do You Drink Soda?

Related Topics: soda, Obesity, Living, Pop
According to the New England Journal of Medicine's recent study, there is a very strong link between sugar-sweetened beverages (i.e. soda) and America's obesity epidemic. Dr. David Ludwig of Boston Children's Hospital's New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center told the Chicago Tribune there is no doubt what is the greatest cause of obesity in America.

"The most effective single target for an intervention aimed at reducing obesity is sugary beverages." If that is truly the case, there is a big problem. Millions of Americans consume soda. In fact, sugary beverages almost go hand-in-hand when it comes to watching movies and live events. However, steps have been taken to limit soda intake.

Most schools across the country have practically banned soda from students' drink choices during lunchtime. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg helped pass the controversial law that will ban supersized sugary drinks from being sold. And fitness gurus such as DDPYoga founder Dallas Page have gone as far to say soda is the worst thing you can put in your body when trying to stay healthy. These observations and studies may cut into soda companies' profits, but swaying a majority of Americans to stop consuming these beverages could take awhile.

Read More: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-09-21/life...

• Cat 2012/09/22 20:21:55
    Cat
    +5
    I started lessening it. I used too drink 3-5 cans a day. Now I only drink 1-2. I hope to get it down to 0 soon.

• KCMamabear JessDeC... 2012/09/25 16:07:34
    KCMamabear
    Diet pop is actually worse than the regular. Aspartame is a poison. The symptoms mimic multiple sclerosis.
  • JessDeC... KCMamabear 2012/09/25 16:44:44
    JessDeCristo
    I've read of that , if that's the case, why was it approved by the F.D.A. ?
  • KCMamabear JessDeC... 2012/09/25 16:51:40
    KCMamabear
    LOL! You would be SHOCKED what the FDA approves.
  • JessDeC... KCMamabear 2012/09/25 16:58:13
    JessDeCristo
    I can imagine, looks like someone has been getting money under the table here.
  • KCMamabear JessDeC... 2012/09/25 16:59:26
    KCMamabear
    That's North America!
  • Scandalf KCMamabear 2012/09/26 12:14:52
    Scandalf
    No, that's how the World works!
  • Sexuallobster 2012/09/25 03:23:05
    Sexuallobster
    Do people remember what the word 'moderation' means?
  • gingin6 2012/09/25 02:37:19
    gingin6
    Fortunately I don't like soda. But sometimes I have to drink ginger ale for stomach upset, but I enjoy unsweeten ice tea.
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/09/25 02:36:51 (edited)
    Pinball Wizard
  • Night71 2012/09/25 00:00:20
    Night71
    The sugar content is almost identical to 100% real fruit juices so I fail to see how pop is worse.
  • KCMamabear Night71 2012/09/25 16:08:15
    KCMamabear
    Different kind of sugar.
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2012/09/24 23:15:05
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    Stopped long ago
  • I <3 Nezumi 2012/09/24 22:49:18
    I <3 Nezumi
    not all the time though.
  • JCLadybug 2012/09/24 21:15:25
    JCLadybug
    Sigh....really? This is obvious, but there isn't anything wrong with soda per se, it is the overconsumption of it AND other food. I'm not as hungry when I have a soda or two so I don't snack as much and actually SAVE myself calories. I don't always have the most self-control, but I do know how soda does and does not effect me, as well as other foods. If a soda per day is your only indulgence then you are way ahead of the curve and can lose weight without taking it out of your diet......forcing the issue sometimes takes it the other way.
  • brittany JCLadybug 2012/09/25 14:24:31
    brittany
    That's the wrong way to save calories. It's better for your body to process food over a sugar filled drink
  • JCLadybug brittany 2012/09/25 17:37:45
    JCLadybug
    So one soda per day instead of a cookie is a problem how?
  • KCMamabear JCLadybug 2012/09/25 16:08:58
    KCMamabear
    Try water instead.
  • JCLadybug KCMamabear 2012/09/25 17:40:00
    JCLadybug
    I do drink water....more than the recommended amount per day. I don't drink only soda...which is obvious by my post. But hey apparently 1 soda per day will kill me.
  • KCMamabear JCLadybug 2012/09/25 18:18:38
    KCMamabear
    If you're drinking MORE than the recommended amount, you're drinking WAY too much. Even the "recommended" amount is too much to drink. We get more than half of our daily water requirement from the foods we eat. Too much water is just as bad as not enough. You actually flush much needed vitamins and nutrients out of your system. Also, if you're "tracking" calories or reducing food intake to try to maintain weight, you're not even close to informed about diet & nutrition. Portion size is a very small factor in health and weight management. More importantly is WHAT we're consuming. Most fruits and vegetables, for example, burn more calories during digestion than we're taking in. Instead of cutting back on snacks, eat more, but eat better. Cut out the pop because, yes, it is killing you, however slowly, it is killing you. I'd hate to see what your liver looks like.
  • JCLadybug KCMamabear 2012/09/25 19:34:08
    JCLadybug
    I'm well aware of this, but thanks for the snarky remark. I drink a lot of water b/c I am an active individual. Thus, I need more water than the average person. (Also, when I was breast-feeding I needed a ton of water in order to produce milk and I have only stopped 6 months ago). Not that is any of your business, but I eat high fiber and protein foods and lots of fruits and vegis. I also make sure to have enough carbs in my diet. Most of my sugar consumption comes from fruits, although I am worse when I don't drink soda about unhealthy snacks...THAT was my point with the soda. Counting calories is the most effective way to lose weight and as long as you eat healthy foods it is both smart and effective. If you aren't eating healthy foods, then counting calories is hard to live by anyway b/c you tend to be more hungry when you don't get enough nutrients etc. If you are eating healthy foods, counting calories is a breeze (but I also tend to make sure there is enough protein, fiber, carbs, etc. in the diet as a whole). Lastly, I really don't count calories unless I am trying to lose 5 lbs....I can maintain weight without any effort and the calorie counting just keeps me in check when I am trying to cut out 500 calories per day. Even still I know the calories in soda vs an unhealthy snack and the snack is worse....even if I didn't count calories on occasion it doesn't take a genius to figure out which serves me better.
  • KCMamabear JCLadybug 2012/09/25 19:55:27
    KCMamabear
    Most of your sugar consumption actually comes from carbs (if you're eating the right percentage) and no, counting calories is absolutely NOT the most effective way to lose weight. It's time consuming is only one tiny fraction of the entire picture. You sound more like someone obsessed with weight than health.
  • JCLadybug KCMamabear 2012/09/25 20:09:08
    JCLadybug
    I eat a lot of fruit and while I loathe low carb, I actually don't consume that much pasta etc. (although I do eat bread). Although you are correct that when I have a pasta meal it contains more carbs (but of course there are tons of carbs in fruit as well). It is the most effective way for me, everybody is different and that keeps me in check as I said above. I'm not even remotely obsessed with weight, but keep the assumptions coming. It isn't really about "5 lbs" but just needing to lose a little excess, normally from the holidays, etc. I could just beef up my running regiment, but that is difficult when you have a stress fracture. Calorie counting isn't time consuming it takes about 2 min to fill in an app (on my iPod) and a max of 10 min each day. That is hardly a big deal and it gives me a realistic out-look for what I consume each day. It also keeps track of my nutrients, protein, fiber, carbs, the app is great for keeping me on a balanced diet. Food diaries work b/c when you record everything you eat then you are accountable for it and want to change your diet to be healthier. Just b/c you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't work well for others.
  • KCMamabear JCLadybug 2012/09/25 20:18:48
    KCMamabear
    Recording everything you eat IS obsessive.
  • JCLadybug KCMamabear 2012/09/25 20:27:12
    JCLadybug
    And informative. I already stated that it isn't a common occurrence. I don't have the time or desire to be obsessed with weight 24/7. (Nor am I obsessed with weight as how I feel/toning. I feel better when I can run 5 times a week, but that isn't an option right now.) But a reality check every now and then is a good thing. It is a recommended behavior for people who want change their eating habits and highly effective for those that do. Also, you seem much more obsessed about what people eat and drink AND that is the obsessive part of recording what you eat. I am mildly obsessed with making sure my family eats healthy, so you have me there. Even still, everything in moderation, which was my original point.
  • TKramar KCMamabear 2012/09/26 11:01:45
    TKramar
    water tastes nasty, unless it's flavored and sweetened water.
  • TKramar JCLadybug 2012/09/26 11:00:22
    TKramar
    I generally have two just at work, but I don't eat anything at work either. I only eat once a day, and it's generally right before I head to work.
  • JCLadybug TKramar 2012/09/26 16:03:38
    JCLadybug
    I have honestly 0-2 per day depending on the day and week (normally averages to one per day). I also go though weeks without b/c I get tired of carbonation. I also don't snack a lot when I drink soda (and I mean unhealthy snacks). I way less self control when I don't drink soda...it is normally the lesser of two evils so to speak.
  • Johann 2012/09/24 21:10:10
    Johann
    I keep it to a minimum a year. I started going for the glassed Pepsi bottles a few months ago. I do not bother with cans or plastic anymore.
  • NotTargetMaterial 2012/09/24 21:01:48
  • KCMamabear NotTarg... 2012/09/25 16:10:37
    KCMamabear
    Just because you're not fat doesn't mean you're healthy.
  • NotTarg... KCMamabear 2012/09/25 18:10:24
    NotTargetMaterial
    +1
    Ok, I drink soda and I feel fine. If there is something wrong with me, I don't think Sierra Mist did it to me !!!!!
  • KCMamabear NotTarg... 2012/09/25 18:21:14
    KCMamabear
    Just because you "feel" fine, doesn't mean you ARE fine. People can have cancer for years and never "feel" it.
  • NotTarg... KCMamabear 2012/09/25 18:57:31
    NotTargetMaterial
    Well its not gonna be 7-Up that gives me cancer.
  • KCMamabear NotTarg... 2012/09/25 19:25:18
    KCMamabear
    Maybe not cancer, but just because you feel fine doesn't mean you are.
  • NotTarg... KCMamabear 2012/09/25 19:27:18
    NotTargetMaterial
    +1
    Soda is not making me ill. Period.
  • KCMamabear NotTarg... 2012/09/25 19:31:22
    KCMamabear
    Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.
  • NotTarg... KCMamabear 2012/09/25 19:35:14 (edited)
  • TKramar KCMamabear 2012/09/26 11:04:24
    TKramar
    Our bodies are usually fine, it's the hypochondriacs who get sick, because they're mentally primed to BE sick.
  • luxxy69 2012/09/24 20:55:04
    luxxy69
    well a human being has to exercise,or they put on weight,i cycle my body to shape to wear off winter blues fat cells,lost 35lbs since spring
  • Dee Zyn 2012/09/24 20:37:32
    Dee Zyn
    I drink 1 six-pack of soda a year. Always bottled or canned. Never fountain drinks.

2014/11/27 23:15:38