National Go Topless Day Returns to Venice Beach: Do Women Have a Right to Bare Boobs?

Fef 2012/08/17 20:00:00
LAist.com reports: Ladies, time to tame those tan lines in preparation to bare your boobies in the name of, well, the right to do so. GoTopless.org is once again sponsoring its annual march and rally for the equal right for women to go topless. The eye-catching event takes place at Venice Beach on Sunday August 26.
Topless Venice

Read More: http://laist.com/2012/08/06/the_right_to_bare_boob...

+47
    Let's just state things this way ...
    at MY AGE ..
    any woman who is a bit more 'endowed' ..
    any woman who has children ..
    there's a need for "support" ..
    (and that's the truth ..)

REAL Ladies ..
    do not show their 'wares' for general 'consumption' ..
    they act like ladies and cover them up and shore them up ..
    and wear properly fitted garments!

• Mikado Hikyuu 2012/08/21 01:09:17
    Mikado Hikyuu
    +2
    Men have this sexual affection for breasts but honestly they are not sex organs. If Men are allowed to bare their chests in public then women should be allowed to the exactly the same. Society needs to grow up a bit.
  • johnqpu... Mikado ... 2012/08/21 01:36:15
    johnqpublic
    +1
    Yes! Absolutely right! And while breasts aren't sexual organs, they for whatever reason,( a DNA hardwired response mechanism for men?) certainly hold an attraction for men. And women for that matter. Of course some men are BOOBS when it comes to women's breasts.
  • Mikado ... johnqpu... 2012/08/21 01:53:48
    Mikado Hikyuu
    +1
    There is no question that men tend to be more visually stimulated and there is no thing wrong with that. But really almost any part of a woman can arouse some one. Some men look at mai feet more than mai bottom if i wear sandals. Some stare at mai chest if i choose not to wear a bra.. some keep peeping at mai tummy if i wear a bandeau.. they compliment me on mai eyes but they are not looking at mai eyes.. the point is that we should be allowed the same level of public nudity that men enjoy. We even have a legitimate excuse if we are mothers breastfeeding.. while the male excuse for bare chests remains based on temperature or vanity. We want to be equally vain and less overheated too!
  • Super l... Mikado ... 2012/08/21 05:35:01
  • Mikado ... Super l... 2012/08/21 18:30:43
    Mikado Hikyuu
    i do not think you are mature enough to be following this thread. If you wish to have your opinion seriously considered and to be respected as an adult then please write with some indication that you understand what you are writing about.
  • Super l... Mikado ... 2012/08/21 23:45:02
  • Mikado ... Super l... 2012/08/22 05:56:42
    Mikado Hikyuu
    the one one demeaning them selves here is you, by your own words. Not only have you proven that you have serious misunderstanding about the human body by your childish rant about men not having breasts, which in fact they do, your sexism is clear in your belittling terms 'deary'.

Far from demeaning me as a woman, i am pointing out a very sexist law that literally is only defined BY sexuality. It is legal for men to bare their chest in public, but not legal for women.. why? is there ANY logic to the law?

Since you have already proven your self incapable of a mature, educated response, i open the question up to the whole thread.
  • johnqpu... Mikado ... 2012/08/23 07:06:08
    johnqpublic
    I'm sorry you've met the pigs in society that pass for men. I apologize for them. Based on your dialogue you must be an attractive and obviously intelligent woman., And that is certainly an attractive combination. A normal well adjust man would of course admire your physical beauty. What those men are doing is leering at you. But as to the subject at hand, temperature, vanity, and breastfeeding shouldn't be excuses for a woman to bare her breasts publicly. It should simply be her right.
  • Mikado ... johnqpu... 2012/08/23 16:12:10
    Mikado Hikyuu
    yes it simply should be her right.
  • Super l... Mikado ... 2012/08/21 05:33:08
  • johnqpu... Super l... 2012/08/21 14:57:25
    johnqpublic
    Uh, y-e-s t-h-e-y d-o. That was me speaking slower for you. Look it ( men's breasts) up in a medical book.
  • Super l... johnqpu... 2012/08/21 17:04:26
  • right-c... Mikado ... 2012/08/21 15:07:23
    right-choice
    +1
    Idiot, No one said it needs to be a organ, but it is sexaul and needs to be respected not trashed around. The fact is the whole womans body can be a sexaul tool, and the Body is an organ. dah
    So grow an organ (brains).
  • Mikado ... right-c... 2012/08/21 18:33:20
    Mikado Hikyuu
    sex organ.. not just an organ. And since it is true that any part of a woman's body or man's body can be arousing, it makes even more sense to allow women to be equally as undressed in public as men are. This is about sexual equality, not about your inability to control your erection if you see a bare woman's chest.
  • johnqpu... Mikado ... 2012/08/23 07:12:01
    johnqpublic
    Well said. And there is a classic example of a BOOB!! Good one about his inability to control his erection!
  • johnqpu... right-c... 2012/08/23 07:18:19
    johnqpublic
    Why the hell are you calling her an idiot ? Hey just 'cause you're sexually repressed and fail to comprehend the conversation in this thread doesn't mean you have to start with the name calling. Ya jackoff !
  • bill.fife.3 2012/08/21 01:04:03 (edited)
    bill.fife.3
    +1
    I say yes but aside from any selfish male bias acknowledge it's a cultural thing. In parts of the world women never cover up and no one thinks twice, while elsewhere (some Islamic countries for example) they are forbidden to even show their faces or hair. Different strokes.

But when you boil it down there is a time and a place for everything. Like the Mardi Gras. There, what's the harm? More to the point, breastfeeding should be seen for what it is, a natural part of life and not ignorantly looked on as "obscene". But if I were enrolled in a college class where grades are everything I would certainly find it difficult to concentrate on the subject being studied while studying topless female students seen all around the classroom! I think perhaps my grades would suffer no small amount in that situation.

So in conclusion, I say no; it's not for just anyplace or any time. But if the occasion is right - hey isn't it a free country?
  • HProcks12345 2012/08/21 00:56:22 (edited)
    HProcks12345
    +3
    most men are aroused by the sight of, well...bare boobies. And to have the right to be bare breasted in public means that, ladies, you better not be offended or anything when some dude with a boner walks up to you.
  • Mikado ... HProcks... 2012/08/21 18:37:09
    Mikado Hikyuu
    i am lesbian, but seeing an erection has never offended me. It is only showing where the mind of the man is at that moment. Some men hide it better, some apparently barely maintain self control. I honestly think that puberty hits some men so hard that they never fully recover from it, and spend years of their life being lead around by their penis into silly, sad and dangerous situations. But a man's ability or inability to take control over his own sex drive is NOT any of mai business, and it should not dictate if i can take off mai top or not.
  • HProcks... Mikado ... 2012/08/22 00:26:02
    HProcks12345
    im not saying that you don't have the right to take off your top, it's your choice to do whatever you wish, despite what the law may say. I'm merely saying that IF you have the right to take off your top, then you have no right to be offended when a man with a bulge in his pants starts checking you out. Yes, it's natural, but some are offended by it. I never said that you had to be offended, but some people would be. I'm telling those women that, logically, they have no right to feel so.
  • Whodini 2012/08/21 00:39:14
    Whodini
    +1
    Can we all grow up just a little bit more? I've lived in places where this was legal.
    A brief appreciative glance at the ones you like is not a problem. Just don't make it a poitn of staring.
  • DOriginalDonald 2012/08/21 00:31:07
    DOriginalDonald
    +2
    But yet guys like Joe Biden and Bill Maher keep popping up SOMEWHERE :P
  • duns 2012/08/21 00:29:10
    duns
    Just don't slap anyone, most probably men, who'll be staring at those boobies as men don't mind women staring at their chest when they go topless...
  • Vegas Dude 2012/08/21 00:23:06
    Vegas Dude
    +1
    Why not? It used to be illegal for men to go topless untill in the days of big construction, men began removing their shirts to help them cool off during the heat of the day. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the human form, and believe, that everyone should be allowed to be nude or dressed whenever they want.
  • Super l... Vegas Dude 2012/08/21 05:37:05
  • Vegas Dude Super l... 2012/08/21 18:25:19
    Vegas Dude
    I've read the bible. It really didn't do anything for me at all. But since I'm an atheist, I guess none of that really matters now does it. If I'm going to hell is the least of my worries.
  • Super l... Vegas Dude 2012/08/21 23:47:01
  • Mikado ... Super l... 2012/08/21 18:39:28
    Mikado Hikyuu
    if you actually would read the story of Adam and Eve.. God chose to let them be naked in the gardern.. it was after they disobeyed God that they suddenly felt shame and a need to hide their bodies. God did not care about public nudity.
  • Super l... Mikado ... 2012/08/21 23:58:08
  • johnqpu... Super l... 2012/08/23 07:28:53
    johnqpublic
    You just have to have the last say huh? What bible are YOU reading ? Yes, they were ashamed when their eyes were opened after having bit the apple.But you being so godly and self righteous will probably have a say about that. I'll bet you a bible you can't let it go.......
  • TaniaHoenink 2012/08/21 00:17:12
    TaniaHoenink
    +1
    Just don't start complaining when people, both men and women, find it a little hard to focus on your face rather than a li'l lower.
  • mind-pilot 2012/08/21 00:08:15
    mind-pilot
    +1
    I love Venice Beach. What red blooded man would want to tell a woman what to do with their blouses? I was for the "ban the bra" issue also, and that works just fine.
  • Freedom 2012/08/20 23:55:56
    Freedom
    Sure. But don't complain if you get stared at or whatever.
  • Cycle City 2012/08/20 23:44:05
    Cycle City
    Sure, I've seen men with bigger boobs than a lot of women ( not pleasant !) But hey, I'm a guy and enjoy the beauty that God gave us to behold. So women, if you got em' show em' !
  • Super l... Cycle City 2012/08/21 05:38:33
  • johnqpu... Super l... 2012/08/23 07:32:08
    johnqpublic
    You really are sexually repressed aren't you ? Go see a therapist dear.
  • Bud 2012/08/20 23:38:34
    Bud
    I'm a leg man but I do enjoy other views of the female anatomy. Compared to San Francisco, California and Portland, Oregon where complete nudity (for anyone including obese males) is permitted Venice Beach is pretty restrictive.

Bud
  • Aquaduck 2012/08/20 23:32:25
    Aquaduck
    Sure, they're not that different from male breasts. Just not in my face, please! :)
  • Raven 2012/08/20 23:31:51
    Raven
    +2
    I find it interesting that women are the ones saying no. I'm a girl but, I want the same rights as men. Whether I used those rights is a different story. Making topless women illegal but not topless men is sexist. There are times when I don't want to see a topless man, but, I still see it. It makes a lot more sense to just ban public nudity entirely OR allow public topless nudity entirely. Saying one gender can flash and another can not is like saying one race can wear shoes but the other can't. I'm not saying public nudity is always alright, but unless its private land good luck stopping it. The only reason people get up in arms is because we've banned female public toplessness for years. So, boobs aren't seen very often. Except for you know... tv... movies... video games etc. Then boobs are okay. At least female toplessness has a point, like breastfeeding, males toplessness doesn't. If men can cool off in the summer, then I want to be able to too.
  • dzzshadz 2012/08/20 23:31:16
    dzzshadz
    +1
    If men go topless so should women.

2014/10/23 19:21:55