My Grandson Was Diagnosed With Aspergers Syndrome

Karen E 2011/11/27 17:07:31
Related Topics: diagnosed
My grandson was recently diagnosed with Aspergers. I am researching everything i can on it. Anyone dealt with this?

• Alexander T Steward 2012/08/27 12:52:54
  • Karen E Alexand... 2012/08/27 13:05:57
    Karen E
    thank you i will,
  • Kezzi Rose Lavigne Biersack 2012/03/18 20:20:11
    Kezzi Rose Lavigne Biersack
    Yes since I have it myself
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2011/11/27 22:19:54
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    +1
    a friend of mine has it. It basically means they have trouble socializing, and understanding sarcasm and body language.

you usually don't know they have it unless they tell you.
  • Michael McFascist 2011/11/27 21:12:19
    Michael McFascist
    they find it hard to pick up on social cues as well as most people.
  • rosehalo 2011/11/27 19:44:49
    rosehalo
    +1
    There is an excellent book written by John Elder Robison called "Look Me in the Eye". He has Aspergers and wasn't diagnosed until he was an adult. He had a brilliant, inventive mind. Once he learned how to converse and deal with people, that part of him disappeared. Very good book and gives you a good understanding of Aspergers. Humorous too.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2011/11/27 19:35:57
  • notokand 2011/11/27 18:37:54
    notokand
    Most children with Aspergers are like everyone else. They usually have quirks, are known to be socially awkward, but overall tend to live "normal" lives (whatever that is these days). If you'd care to offer more details, I'd love to chat about it. I've been working with children who have disabilities since I was 13 years old.
  • Karen E notokand 2011/11/27 19:22:50
    Karen E
    he had some other issues at birth my oldest daughter is the birth mother, she drank and did drugs during her pregnancy we recently found out too. after he was born she just showed up and told her sister amy- here i don't want him. my daughter amy has had him since the age of 6 weeks. was always a somewhat shy mild mannered child. now the anger is striking, though he can control it around us, school has become a nightmare, he is easy going and does get picked on at times. the specialist they sent him to noticed things we probably overlooked.
  • notokand Karen E 2011/11/27 20:14:07
    notokand
    .... Just so you know, Autism/Aspergers is not linked to drugs or drinking. With the anger, is it frustration or triggers? Can he verbalize what makes him mad?

Journaling has helped some kids, however, I assume he's on an IEP, I would make sure whatever he writes is protected by the IEP; so if he writes he hates someone and wants them to go away forever he's not expelled on death threats. I've known of kids who had a safe-place kind of thing where they could be excused for up to 10 minutes to leave the room and cool off. A different school or homeschooling may be better options depending on the situation. If you chose to switch schools or home school, make sure you try to involve him scouts or clubs so he gets appropriate social exposures.

It sounds like he's got a story and that's unfortunate for someone so young...
  • Karen E notokand 2011/11/27 21:04:01
    Karen E
    i am trying to get things straight so we can help him better. he has other learning disabilities also, he cannot spell or write well, fortunately one of the teachers at his school now is a cousin and has helped immensely, getting him in what they call resources here. the oldest daughter has her own issues and disappears for months at a time. i tried to get her help many times but she has more rights than those trying to help her. middle school here is extremely helpful. amy goes to all his ieps, and is very hands on as am i. her older sister did finally allow her to adopt him. so far he just gets up set and punches walls when he comes home or just goes to bed. we are getting him a punching bag for christmas. he is very good with his siblings and animals, the teasing he gets at school bothers him much. he is very soft spoken and at times he talks in a monotone, is fixated on dark colors in his dress if we do not encourage him to wear other colors. and it seems some of the teasing comes from him being the tallest boy in the whole school and clumsy. the desire to be over protective is something i have to work on myself.
    treat same as others,but be sure school is aware.MY nephew's adopted son has it and early years were tough,but he has grown to a fine young man.
  • Karen E Sister ... 2011/11/27 17:44:11
    Karen E
    +1
    this came recently, from what we are learning it explains much. he is not good in many social situations. he also has adhd, hyper, and his skull never closed.completely. since he became a teenager and girls are in the mix, anger issues are coming out.
  • Sister ... Karen E 2011/11/27 17:57:18
    they become very angry..can be violent,my nephew is a saint.It takes tons of patience,he's very sociable,but likes attention.He drives now and is very much into antique buying and selling..Never heard about open skull part ,sorry.
  • Karen E Sister ... 2011/11/27 21:05:18
    Karen E
    Lord does it help that he considers granny a safe haven when he is confused?
  • Sister ... Karen E 2011/11/27 21:06:33
    huh?
  • Karen E Sister ... 2011/11/27 21:44:24
    Karen E
    +1
    does it help that he feels he can talk to me?
  • Sister ... Karen E 2011/11/27 21:55:30
    I would think so
  • Karen E Sister ... 2011/11/27 22:19:11
    Karen E
    +1
    apologies i was thinking out loud, i am close to him, he was my first grand child. though he laughed when i threw a hissy because he told me about kissing girls now, he is 14. i pray a lot, the oldest girl in the bunch just turned 13. she is my youngest girls daughter. reckon i am very old fashioned.

2014/04/23 17:16:53